• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why It’s So Hard for a Woman to Become President of the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why are you acting as if her likability was solely a repercussion of "baggage" and "milquetoast run-of-the-mill-politician stuff?"
Because it's clearly why people dislike her.
The truth of the matter is she has no charisma whatsoever and comes across not only as incredibly dispassionate but also disingenuous.
I don't agree one bit. I think she does have charisma, just not has much as Obama. When she speaks she comes across as intelligent and thoughtful and she knows her shit.

"Dispassionate and disingenuous", how so, really? Again, it's the whole "there's something about her" which no one really explains concretely.

Your refusal to see that there are other factors at play here besides her gender is ironically more sexist
Hahahahaha, yeah I'm the real sexist here. Now excuse me while my eyes roll out of my sockets and fall off...
Stop claiming that sexism is the one and only cause of this end result.
But I never once said it was "the one and only cause". Good job on dismantling that strawman bro.

I understand people are upset and disappointed to see the first female presidential candidate lose but its important to note that she did not lose because Americans are all sexists.
Not all Americans are sexist, but arguably, many, maybe even most, are, as well as racist. Btw, you do realize there are people who are on the record saying a woman shouldn't be president, right?

She lost because even with those of us who aren't sexist she was a very very hard sell thanks to the current disapproval ratings for the political elite and other numerous factors.
No. Any rational human being would not consider her a hard sell vs Trump. Against Obama or Bernie, sure, whatever. Considering the circumstances of the GE though, she not only wasn't a hard sell, she was the only choice that made any shred of sense.

Take for example Michelle Obama. She has incredible presence and charisma when giving speeches and talking to the public. As a result her favorability ratings are THROUGH THE ROOF.
Michelle Obama is more passionate, but she's also First Lady, not a politician. She doesn't have to talk about "boring" stuff like platform, or policy. She can just talk about feel-good fluff with some passionate enough tone and she'll be the darling of everyone. Not a fair comparison. You should have compared her to Elizabeth Warren or something, at least.

According to you if she ran against Trump she wouldn't have won because she is a woman and I disagree with that whole heartedly. You are acting as if Hillary Clinton's loss somehow signifies that no woman could win and me and many others are arguing that is a load of nonsense. This loss means a candidate with favor-ability, trust-ability and likability issues could not win against such a galvanizing candidate. In no way do all women currently in politics suffer from those same issues. You honestly think other female candidates would have as much difficulty with the female vote as Clinton did? I seriously doubt it. Stop focusing on a single aspect of Hillary Clinton's candidacy and open your eyes to the multitudinous other factors at play.
I guess we'll see in a few years who was right, and how quickly a female president gets elected.

Don't worry your liberal courts and judges will protect your rights. But don't tell black people to "drop the oppression olympics" because you experienced a piece of what they have endured for centuries.
Because women have never been oppressed for centuries either...

xevis

Banned
I don't think she lost because she is a woman.

The degree of hate she received during the campaign (#lockherup, Crooked Hillary etc) reminded me of Julia Gillard's tenure as Prime Minister of Australia. I mean, sure, every politician has their detractors and every pollie is invariably on the receiving end of some criticism but can you think of a male leader so eminently qualified for the job who has been demonised in the same way? I can't.

Future

No. Any rational human being would not consider her a hard sell vs Trump. Against Obama, sure, whatever. Considering the circumstances she not only wasn't a hard sell, she was the only choice that made any shred of sense.

There Is that overconfidence that got trump elected. Quite obviously, with a near 50/50 split on all voters, Clinton was a VERY hard sell for some people. People dismissed her possible loss due to sitting on that morality high horse that supposedly deemed her the only worthy choice.

What we found was NOT that half of all voters were racist and sexist. We found that Clinton was not speaking to half of these voters in any meaningful way, like Bernie was managing to do in some ways. Clinton is an intelligent, well qualified person. But charisma is more than that: it's also the ability to establish rapport with the voter base and earn their trust

She did not do that, for reasons that had nothing to do with being a woman

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There Is that overconfidence that got trump elected. Quite obviously, with a near 50/50 split on all voters, Clinton was a VERY hard sell for some people.
Because people are irrational, racist, misogynist and/or homophobic fuckwits.

What we found was NOT that half of all voters were racist and sexist.
Yeah yeah "economic anxiety", sure.

She did not do that, for reasons that had nothing to do with being a woman
You keep telling yourself that.

The degree of hate she received during the campaign (#lockherup, Crooked Hillary etc) reminded me of Julia Gillard's tenure as Prime Minister of Australia. I mean, sure, every politician has their detractors and every pollie is invariably on the receiving end of some criticism but can you think of a male leader so eminently qualified for the job who has been demonised in the same way? I can't.
Exactly.

Koodo

Banned
Whether or not you want to admit it she didn't lose because she was a woman.
And yet:
She lost because she was the most unlikeable candidate in damn near a century of presidential politics.

... which was influenced by the severe misogyny and sexism that prevails women in leadership positions.

You can argue about the extent of her laundry list of faults – denying that sexism didn't play a major role in how she was negatively perceived is naive and frankly embarrassing.

"Any other woman could have easily clinched the election!!!" – yes, that's evident in how Hillary has been the only woman to ever be the candidate of a major party, or even come anywhere near close to that distinction. Get a grip.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
She won the popular vote though. Even as a bad candidate, she would have won if not for the electoral college.

exactly, which points even more to her and her team horribly misidentifying who was important and appealing to them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Always a good idea for the losing side to just double down on their tactics instead of doing any introspection
What tactics? I'm just a Canadian shaking my head at a large group of people on the other side of the border who thought voting for this wretched imbecile was remotely a good idea. Spare me your concern trolling about "tactics", lol.

Yeah yeah "economic anxiety", sure.

You can be dismissive of economic anxiety, but Bill Clinton, Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden were all greatly concerned about that issue. And seemed to know that the election was going to hinge on whoever could connect with voters on it. Hillary decided to outright ignore those people and instead try to continue a message of hitting Trump on his lack of ability to run the country and his temperament. Neither of which addressed the concerns of those people.

As far as why the Crooked/Liar/Disingenuous idea stuck to Hillary so well, i'll direct people to an ad that Obama hit her with in 2008

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...ign-Ad-She-ll-say-anything-and-change-nothing

The key part of the ad is "Hillary Clinton, she'll say anything and change nothing". It also talks about her lying about Obama. The article has additional points. Like when she completely fabricated a story about being under sniper fire after landing in Bosnia during one trip. Footage would later be released showing that she greeted people after landing and posed for photos with troops after landing. And Dailykos is very liberal, so it's not some right-wing conspiracy website.

Sheroking

And yet:

... which was influenced by the severe misogyny and sexism that prevails women in leadership positions.

You can argue about the extent of her laundry list of faults – denying that sexism didn't play a major role in how she was negatively perceived is naive and frankly embarrassing.

"Any other woman could have easily clinched the election!!!" – yes, that's evident in how Hillary has been the only woman to ever be the candidate of a major party, or even come anywhere near close to that distinction. Get a grip.

Well I do agree that sexism played a big part in more than one way, I would say that falling back on sexism as the primary reason obfuscates the very real and valid criticisms people had about her.

She's hawkish. Her voting record on several key issues isn't good. She's got a relationship with wall-street and is on record talking about the need for public and private stances on issues. She's a career politician with more baggage than most and has a stifling lack of charisma and earnestness.

She needed to swing a few thousand voters in a few states to win. I have no doubt that Elizabeth Warren, for example, could have managed it.

A serious question here. Because I'm European I don't know the details of the America politics. The question is...

So, why was Hillary Clinton so disliked?

I remember reading some people saying that yeah, Trump was bad, they could agree with that, but the the other choice was... Hillary. As somehow it was in the same level.
I got the feeling there was an intense dislike for her in USA, at a personal level. Why? Just lack of charisma?

Things I know which could explain it:
-The email server mess.
-She is associated with the 'establishment', with the normal Washington DC politicians.
-She is a woman?

But as I said, it seems a personal dislike, because even the women vote didn't go to her.
So why GAF?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
A serious question here. Because I'm European I don't know the details of the America politics. The question is...

when someone is the target of right wing propaganda for 25+ years, even the most neutral observer is going to be left with some negative feelings towards them. then when there is some actual cause to dislike her, such as the baffling story about landing under sniper fire or calling marriage a sacred bond between man and woman in the senate, it only reinforces the feeling that she is a terrible person.

xevis

Banned
when someone is the target of right wing propaganda for 25+ years, even the most neutral observer is going to be left with some negative feelings towards them. then when there is some actual cause to dislike her, such as the baffling story about landing under sniper fire or calling marriage a sacred bond between man and woman in the senate, it only reinforces the feeling that she is a terrible person.

How does any of this stuff make her worse than an unqualified, economically backward, openly racist, openly sexist demagogue? Like, seriously. Walk me through this line of thought.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
How does any of this stuff make her worse than an unqualified, economically backward, openly racist, openly sexist demagogue? Like, seriously. Walk me through this line of thought.

because those are things that republicans like. clinton's job was to get people to vote for her, not against trump. republicans showed up in similar numbers as in 2008 and 2012, and if clinton had been a good candidate that would not have been enough.

Kinyou

I think it was definitely a factor, but considering she won the popular vote I can't help but think that it's just a question of time until we see a female president.

Chariot

I think it was definitely a factor, but considering she won the popular vote I can't help but think that it's just a question of time until we see a female president.
We just need a charismatic woman. Warren is charismatic, but I don't think she even wants to run. Some people threw Tulsdi Gabbard in, maybe she will make a run. And whatever talent is slumbering in the democratic party.

I remember reading some people saying that yeah, Trump was bad, they could agree with that, but the the other choice was... Hillary. As somehow it was in the same level.
I got the feeling there was an intense dislike for her in USA, at a personal level. Why? Just lack of charisma?

Things I know which could explain it:
-The email server mess.
-She is associated with the 'establishment', with the normal Washington DC politicians.
-She is a woman?

But as I said, it seems a personal dislike, because even the women vote didn't go to her.
So why GAF?

Honestly, I think for starters Clinton has to think her husband for that. When people whose memories reach back to the 1990s see the name "Clinton", a lot of them will instinctually recall Bill Clinton before a grand jury saying "It depends on what the definition of 'is' is." That creates an impression of the Clintons as weaselly, arrogant people who think the rules don't apply to them and will do anything to avoid being held accountable, which is only reinforced by things like the email issue or Hillary Clinton spending so much time out of her campaign doing fundraising events in places like Beverly Hills. Then you have to add to that that "Clinton" is also a symbol of status quo and the impossibility of real change - back at the beginning of the primary campaign when it looked like the election was going to be between her and Jeb Bush there was a lot of weariness I saw from others and felt myself that were we going to have Clinton vs. Bush as if 2000 wanted to have a rerun.

Even if some of this dislike may be unfair to Hillary Clinton herself, the Clinton name does carry a lot of baggage that could have been avoided with a different candidate.

xevis

Banned
because those are things that republicans like. clinton's job was to get people to vote for her, not against trump. republicans showed up in similar numbers as in 2008 and 2012, and if clinton had been a good candidate that would not have been enough.

You're telling me Republicans, unless otherwise charmed, would automatically vote Trump because he's the annointed nominee? Regardless of how awful he is and despite major opposition from their party elders and leadership? And by extension, that Republican voters are sufficiently conservative to be fine voting for bigotry but sufficiently progressive that they're gender blind.

Did I get all that right?

cmon let's be honest here.. she didn't loose because she's a woman, but for other reasons..
i dislike trump, but hillary was.. nothing?
i'd advice to have a look at this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs
I found my own reasoning resonating with his words, and I'm not a us citizen btw :)

trump during his campaing managed to royally blow on all the wrong notes, and hillary still managed to loose..
even leaving aside the lbgt topic, he had so many "fuck-up" on tax dodging, on rape culture and so on...
loosing to someone that literally stepped on so many land-mine in a single presidential campaign warrant a badge of its own...

Audioboxer

You're telling me Republicans, unless otherwise charmed, would automatically vote Trump because he's the annointed nominee? Regardless of how awful he is and despite major opposition from their party elders and leadership? And by extension, that Republican voters are sufficiently conservative to be fine voting for bigotry but sufficiently progressive that they're gender blind.

Did I get all that right?

Well its largely true. When you have bible belt pastors on national TV performing mental gymnastics to support Trump because of their beliefs, then, yeah....

You're not going to change the minds of many republicans.

Henkka

Banned
What tactics? I'm just a Canadian shaking my head at a large group of people on the other side of the border who thought voting for this wretched imbecile was remotely a good idea. Spare me your concern trolling about "tactics", lol.

"Concern trolling", my favourite buzzword. Nothing better than to dismiss a view you don't like by insinuating that the other party isn't being genuine. Really nice stuff, will be great at convincing people.

The left should just make like Bart Simpson and get a chalkboard and write:

I do not represent all people of colour, women, and LGBT people. I don't take their votes for granted.

Just write that a hundred times until it sets deep into your core.

xevis

Banned
Even if some of this dislike may be unfair to Hillary Clinton herself, the Clinton name does carry a lot of baggage that could have been avoided with a different candidate.

I'm not sure I buy this. Bill Clinton was a hugely popular president. His approval rating before leaving office was close to 70%.

Considering the politics of the president elect, and the core of voters he so energies, it seems naive to disconsider gender as an issue. Just look at the language Trump was using; calling he "that woman", or "such a nasty woman"; bringing up her husband's improprieties then suggesting she's probably cheating on him; trying to say she was high during one of the debates. He called her a liar, he threatened to have her investigated, to lock her up etc. The degree of personal attacks are astonishing. I'd say there's never been anything like this except that the far right in Australia went after our first female PM in a similar way.

You really do have to ask, when literally anyone should have won, why didn't a woman?

dramatis

When the left and liberals start to eat themselves in house bickering often exists to try and ascend the ladders to who is the most oppressed. It can actually be quite disgusting at times. The disbelief of someone not attributing Hillary's loss due to her being a woman has some desperate to say this is proof white women have it harder than black people because of Obama.

Its a disingenuous way to try and play an oppression card. In stead of realising the struggles of each minority, but being honest enough in this topic to admit Obama smoked Clinton not because he's a man or black but because he was one of the best candidates the Dems have put forward in such a long time. His campaign was stellar as well.

He won because he was far better than Clinton and it had nothing to do with identity politics.

Because that seems to be one of the main points of the thread. If you guys want to play that game then we might as well go all in.

We sure can! However, nobody in here in trying to claim that being a white woman is harder than being a black woman. We've have had a number of posts implying that to be the case for white women vs. black men though.

Ah, yes. If said black man managed to not get killed in the process of doing those things, it was quite the achievement!
Yes, it's an achievement. I didn't deny that race makes things hard for minorities. I'm an Asian, and even then we're the model minority until we're too good, and then nobody wants you getting in on their slice of the pie.

The article that I posted presents research indicating the difficulties of a woman winning the presidency in presidential systems. I don't see any valid refutations of this information in this thread. What I see instead are a horde of people who are stuck on Hillary Clinton, insisting that sexism has nothing to do with why she lost, when I think it can be a factor. I see you, a black man, who should know better than to play oppression olympics and acknowledge that women share a different set of problems against a male-oriented society compared to black people.

It is not a fucking comparison between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. It is about looking at our society, our perceptions, and whether or not gender has an influence on women entering and participating in politics, and what kind of baggage women have to face to make it to the top.

But people want to say, "Hillary Clinton didn't lose because of sexism", as if what the article is suggesting is overwriting all other reasons. They fixate on Hillary Clinton and on sexism, and awkwardly use the first to pretend the second doesn't exist for Hillary Clinton, despite the very evident fact that she's a woman! Can you imagine if Obama lost in 2008, and someone said race had nothing to do with why he lost? No, nobody is saying sexism is THE primary reason. People are suggesting, I don't know, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, gender has something to do with how women are seen and treated in politics.

But women can't have just that bit, because a black man got elected means a white woman could get elected, as if those were somehow equal—and you yourself don't even consider it so, you think the white woman should be higher up on the hierarchy. But there has been no woman who has been elected president, white or not. There has only been one female presidential candidate of a major party. There's no solid proof that a white woman can do it, so maybe there should be an analysis not only of Hillary Clinton but of women in politics worldwide to better understand gender politics.

There are more than enough guys who want to argue it's all on Hillary, that it wasn't about sexism. They can't conceive of the notion that the Hillary Clinton of today is formed by her experiences as a woman, the woman who was told she didn't look like a politician's wife, and that's why her husband didn't get reelected after his first term as governor. The woman who was told in college, while sitting for an exam, by a bunch of white guys who wanted to dodge the draft, what she was doing there and why she was trying to take their spots that would save them from being drafted. The woman who was laughed at and publicly humiliated nationwide, and even blamed for her husband's infidelity. The woman who was also blamed for sticking with her marriage and making it through. The woman who could easily place in the top 10 most qualified presidential candidates of all time, but once she is qualified, those qualifications became baggage.

Women think they have to be more qualified, they have to be twice as excellent to get the same position for less pay, they don't have confidence that men do. They don't push and shove in negotiations, and when they do, they're viewed unfavorably compared to men who do the same thing. These things that are observed in general business employment don't only affect everyday women, they can possibly affect women in politics too, because before they are politicians, before they are Republican or Democrat or Green or whatever, those women are women.

andthebeatgoeson

cmon let's be honest here.. she didn't loose because she's a woman, but for other reasons..
i dislike trump, but hillary was.. nothing?
i'd advice to have a look at this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs
I found my own reasoning resonating with his words, and I'm not a us citizen btw :)

trump during his campaing managed to royally blow on all the wrong notes, and hillary still managed to loose..
even leaving aside the lbgt topic, he had so many "fuck-up" on tax dodging, on rape culture and so on...
loosing to someone that literally stepped on so many land-mine in a single presidential campaign warrant a badge of its own...

Let's be honest, she's well qualified and her 'scandals' are overinflated. She would have won as a man with the same credentials. She lies but she is a politician. Her 'lies' don't even come close to the lies Trump has done, in the past week. But he gets a pass and her emails were the biggest story of the entire year. Trump has deleted emails, has multiple active court cases. Had a University that scammed people. But when you make it your lives work to tear her down, then yes, people take the suggestion that she is untrustworthy.

Audioboxer

Yes, it's an achievement. I didn't deny that race makes things hard for minorities. I'm an Asian, and even then we're the model minority until we're too good, and then nobody wants you getting in on their slice of the pie.

The article that I posted presents research indicating the difficulties of a woman winning the presidency in presidential systems. I don't see any valid refutations of this information in this thread. What I see instead are a horde of people who are stuck on Hillary Clinton, insisting that sexism has nothing to do with why she lost, when I think it can be a factor. I see you, a black man, who should know better than to play oppression olympics and acknowledge that women share a different set of problems against a male-oriented society compared to black people.

It is not a fucking comparison between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. It is about looking at our society, our perceptions, and whether or not gender has an influence on women entering and participating in politics, and what kind of baggage women have to face to make it to the top.

But people want to say, "Hillary Clinton didn't lose because of sexism", as if what the article is suggesting is overwriting all other reasons. They fixate on Hillary Clinton and on sexism, and awkwardly use the first to pretend the second doesn't exist for Hillary Clinton, despite the very evident fact that she's a woman! Can you imagine if Obama lost in 2008, and someone said race had nothing to do with why he lost? No, nobody is saying sexism is THE primary reason. People are suggesting, I don't know, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, gender has something to do with how women are seen and treated in politics.

But women can't have just that bit, because a black man got elected means a white woman could get elected, as if those were somehow equal—and you yourself don't even consider it so, you think the white woman should be higher up on the hierarchy. But there has been no woman who has been elected president, white or not. There has only been one female presidential candidate of a major party. There's no solid proof that a white woman can do it, so maybe there should be an analysis not only of Hillary Clinton but of women in politics worldwide to better understand gender politics.

There are more than enough guys who want to argue it's all on Hillary, that it wasn't about sexism. They can't conceive of the notion that the Hillary Clinton of today is formed by her experiences as a woman, the woman who was told she didn't look like a politician's wife, and that's why her husband didn't get reelected after his first term as governor. The woman who was told in college, while sitting for an exam, by a bunch of white guys who wanted to dodge the draft, what she was doing there and why she was trying to take their spots that would save them from being drafted. The woman who was laughed at and publicly humiliated nationwide, and even blamed for her husband's infidelity. The woman who was also blamed for sticking with her marriage and making it through. The woman who could easily place in the top 10 most qualified presidential candidates of all time, but once she is qualified, those qualifications became baggage.

Women think they have to be more qualified, they have to be twice as excellent to get the same position for less pay, they don't have confidence that men do. They don't push and shove in negotiations, and when they do, they're viewed unfavorably compared to men who do the same thing. These things that are observed in general business employment don't only affect everyday women, they can possibly affect women in politics too, because before they are politicians, before they are Republican or Democrat or Green or whatever, those women are women.

Hinging all attempts to fix the world on Hillary Clinton just wasn't a good bet, that is all. Humans can be critiqued for being humans, and not every dissenting opinion on someone has to be classed as an -ism. People who don't think Hillary was a good candidate just get fed up with fellow members on the left trying to shame them or label them unjustly. This is blowback due to the stampede of vicious defenders who made the election cycle hell for anyone trying to say they thought Clinton while qualified just wasn't as good as what came before her.

Sexism and inequality among the sexes is a thing, no one is arguing against that, it's just not taken too seriously when anyone tries to argue one of the most successful and privileged women in the world has had it tough because she failed to become the president. In this instance she failed to become president on herself and own campaigns failings, not some injustice that the world handed her. Whatever sexism exists, as it does, was not the major reason the Democrats failed. As I've said a few times on GAF now this campaign was trying to court liberals of whom the majority are open minded decent human beings. It doesn't matter what the assholes on the right were saying as they weren't who had a chance of voting for you. Just as with Obamas campaign it didn't matter what racist bigots on the right were saying, they aren't the ones who could or would vote for him. Unfortunately some of those on the left are beginning to treat some of their fellow lefties with the same ire they aim at the right. This isn't working and will continue to cause massive divides within the same camp. I seen a fair few people labelled sexist just because they strongly supported Bernie over Hillary. Not everyone is always out to play gender politics, especially when it's people IN the liberal camps. We are all largely open minded and decent human beings on this side, and as much as Clinton and her campaign need to take responsibility for this loss, so does the left for making it such a hostile side to be on right now.

Media

Research: Women who run for political office are seen as "power-seeking" and invoke strong feelings of dislike and disgust, in stark contrast to the way people respond to men.

NeoGAF: Sexism didn't have anything to do with it. Hillary Clinton lost because she's so unlikeable!

Watching and listening to liberals dispel the notion that sexism exists in politics or played a role in this election, is almost more depressing than the loss itself. This is how we can be certain it will be another 50 years, before we see a woman President.

No one is saying that. What you're seeing are people responding to the suggestion that Obama's election means sexism in politics is dead. It doesn't, because sexism and racism are fundamentally different and have different effects. I mean hell, Obama's election doesn't even mean racism in politics is dead, yet multiple people have used this as an example that sexism wasn't an issue.

Also, what you're seeing is, what feels like, multiple people telling women they should just accept what they have, because others have it worse. This is true in a lot of ways, but its not true when it comes to representation in the White House. It is undeniable that black men have obtained representation in politics, well in advance of women. Women shouldn't have to prove that they have it worse in other ways, to make this a valid issue and we shouldn't have to compete in an oppression Olympics, to have this recognized.

Absolutely appalling to see so much denial and dismissal of the blatant sexism Clinton faced not only during the campaign but throughout her entire fucking life. There goes any remaining notion that GAF was all that progressive, I guess.

I love how women come in here to talk about how there was a lot of sexism in this race, and it was a factor in why she lost, and a bunch of men freak out and start talking about how black people have it worse? Nobody was saying that at all? I don't know how it could go: "Sexism played a large role in why Hillary wasn't elected." to "Black men have it worse than white women in this country!" with any logical progression. Unless you are also claiming that the election of Obama ended racism, which, no.

BTW, if we want to play oppression Olympics, I'm a Navajo woman!

The denial that sexism played a large part in the loss of the election is why liberals will never learn, and why we likely won't see a female president in my lifetime. I don't understand why it's so hard to acknowledge that sexism still exists and makes daily life for women hell, and that it was a factor when America elected a raging misogynist with zero experience over a 30 year political veteran that happened to be a woman as well.

No, Warren would not have fucking won either.

The denial that sexism played a large part in the loss of the election is why liberals will never learn, and why we likely won't see a female president in my lifetime. I don't understand why it's so hard to acknowledge that sexism still exists and makes daily life for women hell, and that it was a factor when America elected a raging misogynist with zero experience over a 30 year political veteran that happened to be a woman as well.

I don't think many of denied that sexism still exists. What people are denying is the degree that it played a role in her loss. The people insistent that it played a huge role have yet to explain the issues with her actual campaign. So, i'll point them out again.

1.) She lost in Wisconsin by less then 30k votes. That was a state that she didn't campaign in even once. The ad she was running in that state is also notable. It was the one with children in front of a TV while Trump said horrible things. But everyone knew he was horrible. His likability rating was constantly in the dumps. So, she was just beating them over the with something they already knew. She did nothing to address the financial issues that some people there are going through. So, given the small number that she lost by, wouldn't it be reasonable to think that she could've won that state had she just campaigned there with a message about how she was going to create jobs rather than run ads about how horrible Trump was?

2.) In Michigan, Trump is only a little over 10k votes ahead of her. During the primary she was projected to beat Bernie by upwards of 20%. 538 even had him sitting at less than a 1% chance of winning. Instead Bernie would actually beat her there to the confusion of many pollsters and Hillary supporters. How did he do it? Well, he addressed their economic issues. So, fast forward to the GE. What does Hillary's team learn from that loss? Not a damn thing! And so they along with so many pollsters expected her to win. She ended losing one of the states that was critical to her. Michael Moore had called it back in July stating that he saw the reaction when Trump visited the state and talked about how he'd bring jobs back. It struck a chord with them. Hillary didn't have a similar message that she'd beat the drum with.

Both of those states were part of what was referred to as the "Blue Wall". The states that were she needed to win if she wanted to be president. She lost both by small numbers. And in the case of both, she had no message to address their economic issues. Which brings me to my next point. NYTimes revealed people had been trying to get her campaign to address those people, but they refused while thinking they had the right strategy

And she ceded the white working-class voters who backed Mr. Clinton in 1992. Though she would never have won this demographic, her husband insisted that her campaign aides do more to try to cut into Mr. Trump’s support with these voters. They declined, reasoning that she was better off targeting college-educated suburban voters by hitting Mr. Trump on his temperament.

Mrs. Clinton had defeated Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont in the primary race by rallying older African-American voters and Democratic women, but she seemed disconnected from the white working class that delivered Mr. Sanders’s victories in Michigan and Wisconsin. Mr. Trump won Wisconsin on Tuesday and appeared to have narrowly won Michigan, as well.

Early on, Mr. Clinton had pleaded with Robby Mook, Mrs. Clinton’s campaign manager, to do more outreach with working-class white and rural voters. But his advice fell on deaf ears.

Former Gov. Edward G. Rendell of Pennsylvania also said he had encouraged campaign aides at Mrs. Clinton’s Brooklyn headquarters to spread their vast resources outside Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and focus on rural white pockets of the state. “We had the resources to do both,” Mr. Rendell said Wednesday. “The campaign — and this was coming from Brooklyn — didn’t want to do it.” (Mr. Trump won Pennsylvania by one percentage point.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/us/politics/hillary-clinton-campaign.html

None of that was about her gender. It was about her completely miscalculating who she needed to turn out to the polls. As other parts of the article notes, she put a big emphasis on appealing to young and minority voters. Young people were never sold on her from the start. Even going back to the primaries. The attacks from her campaign on Sanders and his supporters didn't help. Like when she stood beside Madeleine Albright as she told young women (who favored Sanders to Clinton) that there was a "special place in hell for women who don't help each other". Clinton, along with her supporters, laughed on stage at that and she'd defend the comments afterwards. She also expected minority voters to come out at the same rate for her as they did for Obama, which never was likely.

My final point is that she's going to win the popular vote. And by the way things are trending, she's going to win it by millions. Which means that the majority of the country is actually ready for a female president. It also all leads back to my points above about her inability to address the concerns in some states and her campaigns complete miscalculation of voters.

Boney

Banned
Democrats went beyond their historical ignoring of white population with southern states and ignored white blue collar labor states. Trump campaigned with politics of fear, while Clinton campaigned with identity politics, one that was near sighted aping black lives matter and deportation to get support. She lost to the most unpopular candidate in the world and she has herself to blame for it.

Keri

I don't think many of denied that sexism still exists. What people are denying is the degree that it played a role in her loss. The people insistent that it played a huge role have yet to explain the issues with her actual campaign. So, i'll point them out again.

No one is saying her campaign didn't make mistakes. What we're saying is that a man in her position, likely could have made those same mistakes, and still beat Trump. There's a reason people keep citing the extraordinary dislike of her personality, as the reason she failed. A better liked candidate could have made the campaign mistakes she made and still won. And research indicates that, when all else is equal, a male candidate will be better liked than a female one.

She was running against the least qualified candidate in American history. Pointing out that her opponent was terrible should have been enough. She should have had plenty of room to make mistakes and still win.

Her failure is a good reminder that a female candidate can't take any votes for granted, though. So there are some good lessons to be learned from this...whenever a political party decides to take another chance on a woman candidate...

She didn't lose because of being a woman.

She was a shit candidate. Almost anyone but her would have walked the election.

I don't think she lost because she is a woman.

She didn't lose because she was a women. She ran a horrible "not trump" campaign who outright ignored a variety of states that she thought she would auto win.

Blame is on her and her team, not her vagina.

Could not agree more.

There's no question that women have a harder time in the workplace than men but to dismiss her loss because she's a woman shows how blind people can be to the real reasons why she lost. The fact that so many females of color were elected to the Senate pretty much proves that Americans are ready for female leadership. Hillary Clinton Didn't Make History, But These Female Senate Candidates Did

She said some seriously dumb things ("I'm going to kill coal jobs", "Deplorable", etc), she never addressed her own baggage and tried to sweep it under the table, and her entire campaign was pretty much based on "I'm not him". Hell, she actively ignored sage advice from her own campaign.

She lost because she ran a terrible campaign because they thought they had it in the bag. To blame it on her being female does a disservice to those women who actually won their elections.

Keri

The fact that so many females of color were elected to the Senate pretty much proves that Americans are ready for female leadership. Hillary Clinton Didn't Make History, But These Female Senate Candidates Did

No woman has ever won a presidential election, in the history of this country. (In fact, this was the first time a woman has even had the opportunity to run). While the country is willing to accept female leadership at the Senate level, that is not the same thing as accepting a female President. So, I don't think the conclusion you're drawing above, makes sense.

Boney

Banned
No woman has ever won a presidential election, in the history of this country. (In fact, this was the first time a woman has even had the opportunity to run). While the country is willing to accept female leadership at the Senate level, that is not the same thing as accepting a female President. So, I don't think the conclusion you're drawing above, makes sense.
The bigger problem would then be that the parties are unwilling to nominate female politicians. If the institutions aren't willing to address sexism, it's impossible to expect it'll change from below.

South America is orders of magnitude more sexist than the USA, but they have elected numerous women president because they are able to rise above it, how was Hillary supposed to run above it if she was unwilling to actually campaign for herself.

No one is saying her campaign didn't make mistakes. What we're saying is that a man in her position, likely could have made those same mistakes, and still beat Trump. There's a reason people keep citing the extraordinary dislike of her personality, as the reason she failed. A better liked candidate could have made the campaign mistakes she made and still won. And research indicates that, when all else is equal, a male candidate will be better liked than a female one.

She was running against the least qualified candidate in American history. Pointing out that her opponent was terrible should have been enough. She should have had plenty of room to make mistakes and still win.

Her failure is a good reminder that a female candidate can't take any votes for granted, though. So there are some good lessons to be learned from this...whenever a political party decides to take another chance on a woman candidate...

Do you actually believe this? Yes it SHOULD be enough. George W Bush was also a fucktard, and we elected him as well. And Reagan before that. What makes you think the electorate votes with the same mindset that you and I do? They don't. And we've already elected a couple of hucksters like Hoover.

When you saw the DNC you probably saw Rainbows and Unicorns; I saw a group of people so out of touch with large swaths of this country. I didn't think it'd be enough to overcome the Cheetoh Monster's gaffes....but then again.

EVERY democratic candidate should keep this election in mind not for racism or sexism.

Keri

The bigger problem would then be that the parties are unwilling to nominate female politicians. If the institutions aren't willing to address sexism, it's impossible to expect it'll change from below.

I think it's impossible to expect the parties to address sexism, when your average liberal won't even acknowledge it's presence or effect in this election. Unfortunately, this election just shows that female candidates are a liability - The only example we have of a woman getting the opportunity to attempt to be President, shows her being overwhelmingly defeated by the least qualified candidate to ever run in American History. A candidate who, today, is only just learning what a President actually does.

When considering why she lost, it's not an either/or situation.

She lost by a fairly small margin.
She lost because she didn't appeal to rust belt (and Florida) voters.
Some rust belt voters didn't vote because she didn't offer them anything except being not-Trump.
Some rust belt voters didn't vote because they don't trust a woman and think Trump is a strong businessman.
Some rust belt voters didn't vote because they believed a >20-year campaign against her by the right-wing press, which is largely based on a dogwhistling sexist suspicion of women being untrustworthy.

She could have won by campaigning in the rust belt.
She could have won by making a more positive campaign about how her policies would improve America.
She could have won by being a man.

You seem to have this attitude that the only reason she lost is because she was female, when in fact, I've shown that women are being elected and literally making history elsewhere in politics. A Senate seat isn't the highest seat, but it's not a county clerk's office either. In my state, we have a female governor that won handily over a male opponent.

You can't tell me Hillary lost because she was a woman, because frankly I don't buy that for one second. She had baggage coming in, she's a career politician in a race that was decidedly anti-establishment, and as I and other said before, she ignored a significant portion of the electorate, despite being advised to court them by multiple people.

Again, you are doing a huge disservice to women who actually win their elections and have set a positive example for others. By saying Hillary lost because she's a woman, you're diminishing others who have made history.

No one is saying her campaign didn't make mistakes. What we're saying is that a man in her position, likely could have made those same mistakes, and still beat Trump.

I really don't think that any candidate that ran the same strategy as Clinton would've won. The message she and her campaign should've learned with their losses to Bernie in Wisconsin and Michigan was that the economy and the white working class were going to be very important in the GE. But she ignored them even though others were urging her to campaign to them. There's an image circulating that points out that in Wisconsin there are counties that voted for Obama twice, a senator that's a lesbian and Trump. That's an indictment on Hillary, not her gender.

It's not good enough when that least qualified candidate is telling them that he'll bring jobs back into that state and the other candidate is telling them that her opponent is a really bad person. One speaks to their concerns about being able to pay bills and the other doesn't.

Keri

Do you actually believe this? Yes it SHOULD be enough. George W Bush was also a fucktard, and we elected him as well. And Reagan before that. What makes you think the electorate votes with the same mindset that you and I do? They don't.

When you saw the DNC you probably saw Rainbows and Unicorns; I saw a group of people so out of touch with large swaths of this country. I didn't think it'd be enough to overcome the Cheetoh Monster's gaffes....but then again.

EVERY democratic candidate should keep this election in mind not for racism or sexism.

No, I didn't see "Rainbows and Unicorns" (also, what a vaguely sexist suggestion). In fact, if you dig deep enough, you'll see that I was heavily criticized on this forum, for suggesting that the way we were attacking Trump, was likely to do damage to the democratic campaign. And you'll see I was criticized more, towards the end, when I suggested that we were underestimating Trump and ignoring successful strategies he was using against Hillary. So, no, I didn't see "Rainbows and Unicorns" and I'm not blind to the campaign mistakes Hillary made.

I'm just not blind to the obvious sexism that has effected the public perception of Hillary, the public perception that is the overwhelming topic of discussion, when it comes to reflecting on her loss. People have repeatedly suggested that a more likeable woman would have won, but they're ignoring that all women who reach for the Presidency will be strongly disliked, based on the research we have, until public perception changes.

El Topo

The fact that so many females of color were elected to the Senate pretty much proves that Americans are ready for female leadership.

Isn't the Senator elected in their own state? That doesn't really prove by itself that the US as a whole is ready for a female president. That said, no one (reasonable) is saying there is no possibility that the US might elect a woman as president, many (including me) considered it a given before the election. People point out that (despite others claiming sexism does not matter) women are still severely underrepresented in American politics (notably Senate/House), compared to many other countries in the world. There may be good reasons for the discrepancy that are in principle independent of sexism (e.g. importance of military record), but without a detailed analysis it certainly raises the question as to how far the US really has come in that regard. The article even points out the gender split in Senate (likely 21 to 79) and the track record of women in this election (regarding the Senate).

Keri

Again, you are doing a huge disservice to women who actually win their elections and have set a positive example for others. By saying Hillary lost because she's a woman, you're diminishing others who have made history.

This is an exciting new perspective: Women who want to acknowledge the existence of sexism are doing a disservice to other women and "diminishing others who have made history."

You can add this to the suggestion that women who attempt to acknowledge sexism are somehow racist.

Keri

I really don't think that any candidate that ran the same strategy as Clinton would've won.

Well, I appreciate that you are being consistent, but I disagree with this conclusion. I think that if she were a man, she wouldn't have been so universally disliked and she wouldn't have had to campaign more aggressively, to ensure votes. I think it's more likely that the people who voted for Obama and who wanted to vote for Bernie (who shared her policies) would have come out to vote for her, instead of citing their distrust of her, as a reason to sit this election out.

No, I didn't see "Rainbows and Unicorns" (also, what a vaguely sexist suggestion). In fact, if you dig deep enough, you'll see that I was heavily criticized on this forum, for suggesting that the way we were attacking Trump, was likely to do damage to the democratic campaign. And you'll see I was criticized more, towards the end, when I suggested that we were underestimating Trump and ignoring successful strategies he was using against Hillary. So, no, I didn't see "Rainbows and Unicorns" and I'm not blind to the campaign mistakes Hillary made.

I'm just not blind to the obvious sexism that has effected the public perception of Hillary, the public perception that is the overwhelming topic of discussion, when it comes to reflecting on her loss. People have repeatedly suggested that a more likeable woman would have won, but they're ignoring that all women who reach for the Presidency will be strongly disliked, based on the research we have, until public perception changes.

just keep on trucking. You're fundamentally misunderstanding the electorate and instead pinning it all on sexism, as if most of these people really give a shit if she ran a better campaign.

Keri

just keep on trucking. You're fundamentally misunderstanding the electorate and instead pinning it all on sexism, as if most of these people really give a shit if she ran a better campaign.

Uh...so you think the quality of her campaign never mattered? But sexism has nothing to do with it...OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom