• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why you should cook meat while it is frozen and why it is the superior way

Dural

Good info, thanks. I like to brine and smoke my turkey at Thanksgiving so doesn't really help for that. I've cooked frozen burgers for years, but I've never cooked steak, chicken, or a roast from frozen. I'll have to try it out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cooking from frozen does have perks. It keeps its form better.

Try making a thawed out or fresh pizza on an oven rack, or freshly made burger patty on a grill and it may droop and fall apart.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Oh man dunking frozen meat into hot oil is a GREAT way to burn yourself if any ice turns into steam and splashes! All that vacuum sealed sou vide stuff is waaaay too much work for the benefit, if any.

Thawing stuff in the fridge is just good prep, especially if it's thick and the outside would burn before the inside thaws on the grill. Not overcooking is probably a larger contributor to juicy meat than all that fancy boiling while frozen nonsense. Getting properly flash frozen meat is another better choice, the slow freeze is worse than a slow thaw. Or even better, get stuff thats NEVER been frozen!

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Food for thought!
get-out-now-marques-king-5sc7mo3uc6xnwstf.gif

so, do u marinate the meat before freezing them then? also, this WILL NOT fly in a Chinese kitchen. the way of cooking, flash stir fry in a wok is intend to use the fresh ingredients and cook them in a way that's best preserving the freshness. it's high heat and short cook time. frozen meat simply won't work.

GHG

This is fine when using a sous vide and I use it for things like duck breast and steak all the time.

But for a whole cut of bone-in meat like poultry that requires an oven? Big no go, the risk of uneven cooking and food poisoning is too high.

Wendys advertises fresh never frozen beef.

Yet last time i went i overheard a lady return her burger cause it was pink as hell and not cooked right.

I would sue their asses to oblivion. Could have killed that lady.

Woggleman

I used to only buy fresh burgers to cook on the grill until one day Bubba burgers were on sale for really cheap and I decided to give them a try. Now I almost always buy Bubba.

Top Bottom