• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

The last good Wii bundle was the 130$ Mario Kart black system. Mario Kart, Wii-Wheel, Internet, GC support. They took out all that and it's still 100 bucks. Shiiiiiit.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The last good Wii bundle was the 130$ Mario Kart black system. Mario Kart, Wii-Wheel, Internet, GC support. They took out all that and it's still 100 bucks. Shiiiiiit.
Yup. This doesn't feel like much of a deal. The redesign is cool, though, even if I don't personally like the look of it.

Rubius

Seriously, I think I will pick one off. For Collector purposes. It look kinda cool and a Red Wiimote is pretty neat too.

The price works but no internet is absolutely ridiculous.

Dont forget that the Gameboy Mini didnt have Gameboy backward compatibility and no port for multiplayer either.
nitendo-gameboy-micro.jpg

Alchemy

This seems like a really simple concept, a cheaper unit to play Wii games. I don't understand the backlash, this isn't intended to be the new main Wii system (they already sold a few million of those). The Wii already had pretty tame online features as it is, nothing of real value was lost. There are significantly better (and cheaper) options for HD media streaming.

Raptomex

That looks kind of sexy but without GCN support I'm not interested. My Wii still works perfectly fine as does my GameCube.

shira

That's kind of why I like the design, personally. I'm not really a fan of the black and red colour scheme though. But this gold and red design posted previously is pretty nice:

I would love to see a BOM tear down of one of these devices. Just for laughs. These things have to be ridiculously cheap to produce.

Man they could put the whole thing in the wiimote. Couldn't they

Seance

Banned
why.jpg

Seriously I have no idea what the point of this is. Regular Wii with WiFi and WiiSports:R for 30 dollars more? smh

Marvie_3

Banned
Dont forget that the Gameboy Mini didnt have Gameboy backward compatibility and no port for multiplayer either.
Backward compatibility in the micro would have required another chip on the board and it's highly unlikely they could have gotten it that small by including it. Squeezing wifi into the Wii Mini wouldn't be difficult at all.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I am slightly concerned about the potential for confusion over this, simply because the red edging looks like a letter U. Especially as the console only has the word Wii on the top. Surely, they could have designed it so the red was on every side?

1128156_1.jpg

This image practically screams WII U.

iidesuyo

At $99 this thing makes no sense at all, especially since no game is included. For only $30 one gets so much more (a game, WiFi, Internet, GC bc); $69 or so would have been a good price point.

kliklik

Banned
If you're going to treat us Canadians like guinea pigs, Nintendo, then I expect some free carrots as reward.

And by free carrots I mean bundled games.

tsab

Seriously, I think I will pick one off. For Collector purposes. It look kinda cool and a Red Wiimote is pretty neat too.

You were paying a premium for a very micro handheld WITH multiplayer support (different plug because of charger/voltage) but with no GB compatibility AND A BETTER SCREEN than GBA/GBASPv1/DSPhat

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So there's been no shots of the back, and no text mentioning USB peripherals. Wonder if that means there's no USB slots.

PhantomR

Banned
People jumped all over me in the last thread because I suggested that stating that Reggie should be fired because he's hyping up his product is just really stupid.

Now if you're saying that THIS is a reason he should be fired, because this product has no Internet capability, then we'd be on the same page. The fact that this is Canada-only smells to me like this is an NOA initiative. If so, that is a completely baffling oversight not to include Internet in this device.

This could've been the perfect competitor for the holiday season against Roku and Apple TV. Very poor.

PhantomR

Banned
At $99 this thing makes no sense at all, especially since no game is included. For only $30 one gets so much more (a game, WiFi, Internet, GC bc); $69 or so would have been a good price point.

If it had Internet, it would've been perfect at $100. Why get an Apple TV or Roku, when you can get a Wii Mini for the same price that even plays games too?

Massively missed opportunity here.

Kerub

Banned
I can't help to think this may have been better as a digital only box.

The primary target group with this redesign has to be families. Would digital games only really be good for that? No internet makes much more sense. The type of person that is supposed to buy this, would probably just buy a couple of games for it (wii sports, mario kart, NSMB, wii fit etc.). I doubt they care much about wiiware or playing online. No VC games can be bad though.

Iph

Banned
You know, no interet connectivity means parents don't have to worry about their kids getting into the WiiStore accounts that might have credit card information stored. I look at it as a cheap gaming solution for a library of a lot of interesting and fun Wii games which are pretty cheap to go to the game store and buy a hard copy.

IceCold

Am I the only one here that still wants to buy this thing? Such a sexy machine.

PhantomR

Banned
You know, no interet connectivity means parents don't have to worry about their kids getting into the WiiStore accounts that might have credit card information stored. I look at it as a cheap gaming solution for a library of a lot of interesting and fun Wii games which are pretty cheap to go to the game store and buy a hard copy.

The Wii Shop channel does not store credit card information. You have to manually insert your credit card number every time you want to make a purchase. So unless little Billy steals mommy's credit card that's not a concern.

alf717

I want to see just how much smaller this is compared to the Wii. At $99 it makes for a nice entry price and the design is pretty cool as well. I'm sure someone will take the thing apart when it is released.

So there's been no shots of the back, and no text mentioning USB peripherals. Wonder if that means there's no USB slots.

There's no USB. There couldn't be. Why? What uses USB?

Wii Speak? That's only online.
Keyboard? Not for online chat or web browsing.
No point for network adapter.
Never had memory stick support.
Charging? Those controllers are AA battery hogs and only that.

The ONLY possibility is for a microphone and that'd ONLY be for karaoke games, Rock Band or Guitar Hero, which are near useless without DLC anyway. Plus those don't really sell anymore ANYWAY on the Wii.

iidesuyo

If parents don't want their kids to log on the internet themselves they just won't give them the WiFi passwords, at least that's how my friends handle it.

Brera

Banned
Was it really worth cutting out the internet?

No Virtual Console either then. You can get a Wii for about £30 in the UK....

Yes Boss!

I guess this works as a "I'll buy for the sake of it" type purchase or a Xenoblade/ Mario Galaxy box.

I'm buying it as a Galaxy Box.

Actually, if they release other colors I'll likely collect them.

Now just need confirmation if they retained component out...

Top Bottom