• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

Bryan1321

Banned
Baffling decisions abound.

Would have bought if it was Wii feature complete. I dont mind the look of it.

The most puzzling is why it isn't being bundled with the new Gamepad accessory. :p

pat-bailout2.gif

Yes Boss!

I really don't get why Nintendo would release a updated Wii with less features. It's just asinine.

Well, if you go back to the tail-end of the 16-Bit generation, it was the first time console makers were actually surprised to discover there an unknown tail to a current generation that overlapped over the next. Late sales of the new form-factor SNES and Genesis far out-performed expectations for a year or two into the 32-Bit gen. Sony then solidified that low-end tail with its PS brands. Features were often removed/shrunk/consolidated to release at a price point to extend sales while the new generation got underway.

Nothing to be surprised since that was 15-20 years ago.

iidesuyo

Well, if you go back to the tail-end of the 16-Bit generation, it was the first time console makers were actually surprised to discover there an unknown tail to a current generation that overlapped over the next. Late sales of the new form-factor SNES and Genesis far out-performed expectations for a year or two into the 32-Bit gen. Sony then solidified that low-end tail with its PS brands. Features were often removed/shrunk/consolidated to release at a price point to extend sales while the new generation got underway.

Nothing to be surprised since that was 15-20 years ago.

But besides the Euro PSP, when did consoles cut major features. PS2 Slim actually added an ethernet port.

From their most recent financial presentation:

Aren't these just general download numbers, they may as well include WiiWare.

Yes Boss!

But besides the Euro PSP, when did consoles cut major features. PS2 Slim actually added an ethernet port.

Deadlined with dead DC, Nintendo just drastically discounted and bundled for N64 and Cube (and the component FIASCO). PS2 is the only one to actually improve a system (but also got called out for their price...remember the Lego Batman Bundle price point?). Current gen has been a different scenario with console parity, but increased storage, but still heavy bundling, a scenario which seems to be working looking at the insane 360 sales so late. Sony is clueless with their Super Slim, but that is Sony and they are stupid.

All to say, it is nice to see Nintendo make this move.

Want a few examples?

The new (toploader) NES cut composite video output (which the original US model has), in favor of RF only.

The model 2 (smaller) SNES cuts S-Video support (which the original has), in favor of composite only. It also drops the internal RF modulator, so to use RF on it you need to buy a RF switch/modulator set for the small SNES, as you would have to do on the N64 and GC, instead of just a switch. The latter I can understand, but cutting S-Video was a blatant cost-cutting measure.

The model 3 (Majesco small redesign) Genesis has no Sega CD or 32X support (you can't use either addon with the Genesis 3), and it won't play the Genesis game Virtua Racing, either.

The PS1 removed those red/white/yellow composite jacks that it initially had, and later removed the parallel and serial ports too. The PSone (small redesign) also has no parallel or serial ports.

The Gamecube removed component support in favor of composite only after some point in 2004, of course, too.

Oh, and for one final (and older) one, while it's understandable why they would do it, the model 2 Intellivision breaks compatibility with most third-party Intellivision releases, because back then there was no licensing system so the hardware manufacturer only made money from games they published themselves. Still, that means that a bunch of games won't work on that model.

I actually really dig the minimalist design. Just wish they could've kept in GC BC, they can take the internet as I barely ever took the thing online anyway.

I've been sitting around thinking this is the stupidest fucking thing all day, but a friend pointed out one way that I'd consider buying it.

Wii Motion Plus: $49.99
Wii Nunchuck: $19.99

If you're already blowing $70 (assuming you didn't find a good deal on the controller/nunchuck), it's reasonable to blow an extra $30 to get an extra Wii console.

The red controller/nunchuck is kinda swanky.

Love that its top-loading.
As a Canadian, appreciate that we're the test market.
Hate the red/cheap-looking design.
Hate that it doesn't have component outs.
Hate that it doesn't play GameCube games.
No sale.

Astery

These ain't for u guys. I found it a great thing for casuals who play only with their family and such who doesn't give a flying fk to online play and stuff that are irrelevant. No one needs online to play wii sports for example, and I can't think of much exclusive Wii games w online that will interest them. (Mario, Wii Sports are the top 2 games for casuals in Nintendo's concern). Now the only thing about it may be the price, I don't know how much the standard Wii is selling for in Canada. 100 seems abit steep for this machine?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I've been sitting around thinking this is the stupidest fucking thing all day, but a friend pointed out one way that I'd consider buying it.

Wii Motion Plus: $49.99
Wii Nunchuck: $19.99

If you're already blowing $70 (assuming you didn't find a good deal on the controller/nunchuck), it's reasonable to blow an extra $30 to get an extra Wii console.

The red controller/nunchuck is kinda swanky.

Or use the extra $30 on, y'know, a game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I want one of these. Just for my collection. But not when it's $100... hopefully I'll find one in a thrift store some day for <$20.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
if it becomes especially rare, it might go on ebay and be worth than what you paid for brand new !!!

That's a possibility, sure. Even still, I bet there's a period of time where it's thrift store fodder. Think of the average late-adopter who buys this... gonna sit under the TV for 6 months then get forgotten :p

iidesuyo

Want a few examples?

The new (toploader) NES cut composite video output (which the original US model has), in favor of RF only.

The model 2 (smaller) SNES cuts S-Video support (which the original has), in favor of composite only. It also drops the internal RF modulator, so to use RF on it you need to buy a RF switch/modulator set for the small SNES, as you would have to do on the N64 and GC, instead of just a switch. The latter I can understand, but cutting S-Video was a blatant cost-cutting measure.

The model 3 (Majesco small redesign) Genesis has no Sega CD or 32X support (you can't use either addon with the Genesis 3), and it won't play the Genesis game Virtua Racing, either.

The PS1 removed those red/white/yellow composite jacks that it initially had, and later removed the parallel and serial ports too. The PSone (small redesign) also has no parallel or serial ports.

The Gamecube removed component support in favor of composite only after some point in 2004, of course, too.

Oh, and for one final (and older) one, while it's understandable why they would do it, the model 2 Intellivision breaks compatibility with most third-party Intellivision releases, because back then there was no licensing system so the hardware manufacturer only made money from games they published themselves. Still, that means that a bunch of games won't work on that model.

Beaten.

But to my defense none of those NES/SNES/Genesis revisions have ever been released over here (Europe), and I think that some of the PS1 outputs had been cut with the PAL version in September 1995 already.

Want a few examples?

+

The SEGA Master System 2 model lost the ability to play games which were released on the card format.

+

The SEGA Master System 2 model lost the ability to play games which were released on the card format.

Good point. I also forgot about another one mentioned in the next post after mine, that the slim PS2 cut hard drive support. And there's also that only the first PS3s play PS2 games...

That the toploader NES cut out composite support was particularly ironic, though, given that the Japanese remodel that looks nearly identical, the AV Famicom, ADDED composite support as one of its major new features, along with removable controllers...

Terrell

Dunno if it's been said yet (probably has) but the removed net functionality is likely a step towards shutting down the Wii Shop Channel at some point in the future when their download numbers decrease enough for it to be feasible and when the content is migrated to eShop. Adding new consumers to that mix delays that process.

And truth be told, if you were waiting for a $99 Wii, it's because you likely couldn't justify the expense of a $130 one. This is for used game buyers with low income who would't buy from the Wii Shop anyways, as a way to keep people going to the store for new hardware instead of getting the console used at Gamestop which makes Nintendo no revenue while ensuring a quicker fold of the Wii Shop.

It's shrewd and calculated business.

What Nintendo is saying is that Canadians are the only ones who can handle so much choice this holiday season. They have the smarts to distinguish between SKUs.

Thanks Nintendo. We are the smartest people on the planet so it's nice to have some recognition.

not smart enough to set up wi-fi, though.

ironcreed

Banned
But why waste money on this, when they need to be pushing the Wii U? The Wii is done, just lower it to this price point and call it a day.

For all the people whining about the lack of internet. I kinda find it funny considering that people are saying it's a "secondary system", "gathering dust", "barely used", ...

It's not an accusation, but a finding: the Wii is a system that's only used for occasional playtime, is often stored away, has limited internet-options anyway, is often skewing to a younger audience, and definitely not the media center of the living room.

With that in mind, getting rid of internet for the Wii is just not that big of a deal to many people, even if it gimps the system (even more).

onken

For all the people whining about the lack of internet. I kinda find it funny considering that people are saying it's a "secondary system", "gathering dust", "barely used", ...

Evidence that it's the same people saying those things or gtfo.

TheExodu5

Banned
I need controllers for my Wii U since I don't actually own a Wii (used my parent's Wii when I was at home). This is basically $30 more than the price of a Wii Remote + Nunchuck combo. I don't know what I'd do with it, but I'm tempted to get it regardless.

Want a few examples?

The model 2 SNES also removed RGB support.

The model 3 Genesis has mono out only, no stereo.

And a correction: The revised Gamecube wasn't composite only. It could still do S-Video (NTSC models) or RGB (PAL models only) through the regular AV port, but the loss of component and D-Terminal was atrocious.

MikeE21286 said:
If this comes to the US and can be home brewed I'd consider replacing my Wii with it. Although I do lose GC support....
How would it be homebrewed, though? This isn't so much a walled garden as another planet.

zruben

Banned
But why waste money on this, when they need to be pushing the Wii U? The Wii is done, just lower it to this price point and call it a day.

yeah, that was what i thought too...

get rid of your remaining wii's "in the wild" by lowering the price. No production costs.

NewFresh

How would it be homebrewed, though? This isn't so much a walled garden as another planet.

Most of the homebrew could be set up without use of any internet connection if you simply downloaded the appropriate files. But the lack (Not sure if this has been confirmed) of SD card reader makes this completely shut off from access.

Top Bottom