• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

Why do I get the feeling that these will be coveted in a few years? Similar to the GB micro.

That's just they way Nintendo hardware has been, historically. See the top-loading NES or SNES 2. Even though they stripped features to lower production costs, the aftermarket value for them is higher than their full-featured original counterparts.

Cost cutting? Re-injecting the item into the news? Position the system for potentially other emerging markets (India, China) that has increased demands but are plagued with piracy issues?
I can't be the only one that sees other reasons why they're out to make a system like this.

The Wii is officially not in China, and this is one way to crack that market without the worry of homebrew blowing everything up.

jozero

Neo Member
This new Wii reduces confusion. 6 months to a year down the road no normal Wii are purchasable for new at retail. So Joe consumer, who never buys anything when it's brand new (the WiiU now) gets a clear choice. The $300 online connected HD wiiU, or the basic $100 not connected Wii. Simple clear choice for when it matters the most, late next year and going forward.

The Wii has crippled online play, a browser that you initially had to pay for, and expensive/limited VC/Wiiware titles. But release a barebones model and suddenly it's the most important feature in the console.

This is for the collectors and the family who wants a "spare console" in the spare room/summer cottage. Heck, you could bring it on a road trip if you want.

Alchemy

yeah, that was what i thought too...

get rid of your remaining wii's "in the wild" by lowering the price. No production costs.

I would assume that the Wii Mini is cheaper to manufacture, and they don't want to completely stop selling Wiis. The product has life in it and Nintendo wants to maximize profits so a cheaper to manufacture model makes perfect sense. Ride the product until sales completely dry up.

But why waste money on this, when they need to be pushing the Wii U? The Wii is done, just lower it to this price point and call it a day.

Why waste money on the PS2 when you need to push the PS3...

Because it isn't a waste of money. They want to continue selling Wiis because a $99 six year old console has a different market than a $300-$350 new console. And it likely isn't a waste of money, this revision is probably much cheaper to manufacture.

Not every system is the Xbox and dies immediately when it's successor is released.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Probably not the first person to post this, but the Wii Mini design and shape resembles the old Game and Watch cases.

nintendo_gandw1.jpg

DigitalOp

Banned
If the Homebrew still runs... Im in

Sucks to lose Wifi though. Even if homebrew is crushed, Im all for Wii U keepin it real with the Wii scene

Wii hombrew made it the definitive way to play classic games, Nothing else compares

If the Homebrew still runs... Im in

Sucks to lose Wifi though. Even if homebrew is crushed, Im all for Wii U keepin it real with the Wii scene

Wii hombrew made it the definitive way to play classic games, Nothing else compares
Can wii output 240p? That would give it the edge over a modded/XBMC Xbox, right?

The model 2 SNES also removed RGB support.

The model 3 Genesis has mono out only, no stereo.

And a correction: The revised Gamecube wasn't composite only. It could still do S-Video (NTSC models) or RGB (PAL models only) through the regular AV port, but the loss of component and D-Terminal was atrocious.
I didn't remember about those RGB support removals because I'm not in Europe, but really, hte Genesis 3 is mono only? I'd forgotten that... that's pretty awful, when both other models have some form of stereo sound! And yes, you are right that the GC could still do s-video, in addition to composite. Still, progressive scan was gone.

DSi cut GBA support while we're at it.
I'd consider that one a new console, just like the GBC versus the original GB. The DSi has more powerful hardware in the box -- it's not just a new DS model, it's a new system, regardless of how Nintendo wanted to sell it!

The way Nintendo treats eshop customers Mini owners won't be missing much.
There are a few good WiiWare games, though...

Strange, I never knew the Wii had internet built in to begin with.
It does, it's just that the browser is horrible.

It was the best one on home consoles for a good long while.
I haven't used any other home console browsers, but if that's true that's pretty sad... the Wii browser crashes frequently on some websites, has no tabbed browsing support, etc... it has a few nice features (it has flash, right?), but a lot of problems. Another thing is that I could never figure out if you can hit 'enter' -- that is, for text boxes where you type in it and hit enter and they don't have a "go" button, how do you progress in the Wii browser, where you can only type into boxes or click on buttons, as far as I could tell? And those crashes on so many websites are a big issue too.

WillyFive

I haven't used any other home console browsers, but if that's true that's pretty sad... the Wii browser crashes frequently on some websites, has no tabbed browsing support, etc... it has a few nice features (it has flash, right?), but a lot of problems. Another thing is that I could never figure out if you can hit 'enter' -- that is, for text boxes where you type in it and hit enter and they don't have a "go" button, how do you progress in the Wii browser, where you can only type into boxes or click on buttons, as far as I could tell? And those crashes on so many websites are a big issue too.

It worked very well for 2006-era websites.

As soon as websites started adapting for bigger resolutions and having more stuff on-screen, the Wii couldn't keep up anymore, even if the browser itself could display it all very well.

TehOh

If they release this in Europe, I might grab one (especially since it doesn't cost that much more than the wiimote+nunchuck) as a cheap Wii for my European games.

I still have my modded Wii, but.. eh. Might be fun.

I can't be the only one that sees other reasons why they're out to make a system like this.

The Wii is officially not in China, and this is one way to crack that market without the worry of homebrew blowing everything up.

Well I'd hate to break it to them, but the Wii is already here and sold dirt cheap with pirated software. there's no reason to be here.

iphys

I would consider buying this for the wiimote and nunchuk, but I've got to say the system looks like a take-out food container to me.

I was thinking this might be useful for someone who had their optical drive break on their original Wii, but then you'd still be handcuffed with no means to move your save files on to the system, and no means to ever transfer the save files off if you eventually wanted to play your games on a Wii U.

I would consider buying this for the wiimote and nunchuk, but I've got to say the system looks like a take-out food container to me.

I was thinking this might be useful for someone who had their optical drive break on their original Wii, but then you'd still be handcuffed with no means to move your save files on to the system, and no means to ever transfer the save files off if you eventually wanted to play your games on a Wii U.

And no brains.

I personally see it as a nice soapdish for my Dove bar.

Amir0x

Banned
Wii had internet? ;)

Actually a nice looking minimalistic design again. The, uh, exclusive to Canada thing though baffles the mind :p

Edit: Wait, optical illusion... that red awkward shaped thing is part of the design? Ugh, gross. Cross off the "nice looking design" comment :p

Cromat

WiFi is a rather weird thing to not include in a redesign in 2012.
I mean, the cost of having an antenna there can't be that significant, and it's a rather significant feature to take out.

iphys

So I wonder if this thing comes with the Skyward Sword fix pre-installed; otherwise, no way to download it if your save file gets ruined.

Top Bottom