• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii? Non! - Nintendo Land |OT|

kunonabi

The F-Zero game really surprised me. Hadn't thought of that control scheme, but it works surprisingly good and it's already a favorite of mine.

I love the F-Zero game. I love how the game punishes you if just look at the gamepad. It blew my mind when I realized you could drive through the bumpers.

Madouu

I love the F-Zero game. I love how the game punishes you if just look at the gamepad. It blew my mind when I realized you could drive through the bumpers.

How do you usually play? I know the game tells you that it's better to look at the gamepad and then switch to the TV in tunnels ... but I've been finding myself looking exclusively at the TV most of the time.

kunonabi

How do you usually play? I know the game tells you that it's better to look at the gamepad and then switch to the TV in tunnels ... but I've been finding myself looking exclusively at the TV most of the time.

I use the pad for most of it. I look at the tv when the area has a ton of boost plates and ramps or areas with bumpers and the explosive red orbs. I like using the pad for whirlwinds since I find it easier to see the direction of the winds so I can get that extra boost.

jacksrb

Had some friends over last night and played about 2 hours of the 3 versus games. Really awesome. I think everyone loved Luigi's Mansion best because of the tension.

However, it also locked up on me about 8 times when we were trying to go through some of the other attractions later. Boo.

Also - miiverse is charming and brilliant.

Lucent

Had some friends over last night and played about 2 hours of the 3 versus games. Really awesome. I think everyone loved Luigi's Mansion best because of the tension.

However, it also locked up on me about 8 times when we were trying to go through some of the other attractions later. Boo.

Also - miiverse is charming and brilliant.

If you're connected to the internet with the Wii U, I'd just disconnect it whenever playing it. Unfortunately I don't think there's an option to just disable internet. I deleted the connection.

And yeah those three versus games are amazing. Seriously spent at least 4 hours playing just those the first day. And I think Luigi's Mansion is def the best. Though I think we've all gotten pretty good at it. We didn't realize until on of our friends got a Wii U for himself that the ghost could charge up an attack with ZL and ZR being held at the same time to charge up and release purple ghosts to zap people of their batteries and also destroy any batteries on the map. And if you play like 20 rounds you unlock two more levels. Those two rooms are crazy. The roof makes it easy to tell where the ghost is because whenever the ghost gets near one of the monitas (there's like 10 or something) they turn yellow or red depending on how close it is. And the room with the rattling armor things make your wiimote shake. So if you're close to one you won't be able to tell if it's JUST the armor or the ghost is nearby too.

For the people having lock up issues, are you running disk or digital? I have the disk and have had no issues, but want to sell it for a digital version...

jacksrb

If you're connected to the internet with the Wii U, I'd just disconnect it whenever playing it. Unfortunately I don't think there's an option to just disable internet. I deleted the connection.

And yeah those three versus games are amazing. Seriously spent at least 4 hours playing just those the first day. And I think Luigi's Mansion is def the best. Though I think we've all gotten pretty good at it. We didn't realize until on of our friends got a Wii U for himself that the ghost could charge up an attack with ZL and ZR being held at the same time to charge up and release purple ghosts to zap people of their batteries and also destroy any batteries on the map. And if you play like 20 rounds you unlock two more levels. Those two rooms are crazy. The roof makes it easy to tell where the ghost is because whenever the ghost gets near one of the monitas (there's like 10 or something) they turn yellow or red depending on how close it is. And the room with the rattling armor things make your wiimote shake. So if you're close to one you won't be able to tell if it's JUST the armor or the ghost is nearby too.

So is it the general consensus that it is the miiverse or other online parts are the things locking it up? I hate to turn that off since I love miiverse so much, but locking up sucks.

Are there extra boards for Mario Chase / Sweetest Day too?

EDIT: Your avatar reminds me how excited I am for W101. Cannot wait for that one.

My Wii U was delivered yesterday while I was at work. Last night I only really had time to set it up and do the update. I wasn't very thrilled with it to be honest.

I've just spent a couple of hours playing around with Nintendoland and I'm loving it now. I had low expectations of this game - I was one of those who mocked it after the E3 reveal. I take it all back now, this is really good!

Surprisingly so far I'm enjoying the Octopus Dance game and the Ninja game the most.

Some of the music is really great. Lots of nice little touches as well.

Madouu

So is it the general consensus that it is the miiverse or other online parts are the things locking it up? I hate to turn that off since I love miiverse so much, but locking up sucks.

EDIT: Your avatar reminds me how excited I am for W101. Cannot wait for that one.

Yes, if you want to keep miiverse integration in Nintendoland, you should start by setting miis in your plaza to your language only. I haven't had a single lock up since I did this.

Bear in mind that lock ups happen in other applications and are not exclusive to Nintendo Land but these seem to be rare.

jacksrb

Yes, if you want to keep miiverse integration in Nintendoland, you should start by setting miis in your plaza to your language only. I haven't had a single lock up since I did this.

Bear in mind that lock ups happen in other applications and are not exclusive to Nintendo Land but these seem to be rare.

Okay - this is a much better middle solution (although I hope they get it settled later for the other languages). Thanks.

Lucent

Yeah definitely. More than anything, I got the Wii U for the unique and exclusive titles. I don't care if the PS4 and Xbox 720 end up more powerful (more than likely getting Sony's console though because I love them), Nintendo's consoles are fun for what they do.

But, yeah, Wonderful 101 looks awesome and the characters are Viewtiful Joe style. =P

I've noticed it freezes after me and friends are playing for hours, i can restart the game and it'll pretty much instantly freeze over and over. Seems like a hardware problem to me :-\

I've noticed it freezes after me and friends are playing for hours, i can restart the game and it'll pretty much instantly freeze over and over. Seems like a hardware problem to me :-\

It's almost certainly Miiverse/internet related. It's been happening to a lot of us. Try disconnecting the system from the internet or try setting Miiverse in Nintendoland to English Only and see if it makes any difference.

I've noticed it freezes after me and friends are playing for hours, i can restart the game and it'll pretty much instantly freeze over and over. Seems like a hardware problem to me :-
It's definitely just Miiverse, and not the hardware or game itself. I had crashing problems, but deleting my Internet connection before I play completely fixes them. Sucks having to do that, but it works.

Lucent

It's definitely just Miiverse, and not the hardware or game itself. I had crashing problems, but deleting my Internet connection before I play completely fixes them. Sucks having to do that, but it works.

Yep. This is what I had to do. I hope they fix it soon because it would be dumb not to. Basically gimping the system for now.

I picked this up but really haven't played it much (one game of the Ninja game). Been giving all the time to NSMBU and ZombiU.

The question is: Does this have decent replay value if you aren't doing multiplayer?

Basically deciding whether to put more time into it or just sell it while the credit price would be decent.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Friend of mine got a WiiU, so we played this for hours tonight. Holy shit, so much fun. We had a full five players and four remotes (more like a dozen players rotating in and out). Luigi's Mansion was fun like I expected, but Mario Chase came out of left field. We played that and Pikmin for several hours. Mario Chase is probably the most fun I've had in local multiplayer since the Brawl release. And the second map is by far the best.

Unfortunatly he only had one WM+ so we couldn't do five player Metroid, but I'm bringing mine next week so we can give it a shot.

zroid

Banned
The best thing about Mario Chase is the replays. It's so satisfying to watch after an awesome game. It's too bad they can't be saved!

deviljho

A9BgW7dCEAAdJ4B.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I would be okay with the next Zelda game adopting a similar fabric/material art style to the Zelda themed game in this.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Nintendo Land really surprised me. When I first saw it, I thought it's gonna be like Wii Play.
Now that I've played it for a while, it feels more a Wii Play in which every game is as great as the tank game.
It's my most played game on the Wii U so far.

pestul

The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest is amazing, but I suck so much at it. :(
Don't feel bad. I suck at just about every game I've played on this machine so far.. but I'm having a blast. Zelda BQ archer is destroying me, as is the DK game. :S

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Played about ten hours straight yesterday with 5 people. This game really is so much better than Nintendo was ever able to convince people. I really find it to be one of the most robust local multiplayer experiences of all time. You can spend all day on just one mini-game, and that's not even taking into account the awesome variable potential of Attraction Tour. There's not a doubt in my mind that this game is Wii U's killer app. Everyone with the console should own it.

Madouu

I would be okay with the next Zelda game adopting a similar fabric/material art style to the Zelda themed game in this.

I don't like this art style that much but I wouldn't mind them going for it just to see something new and a bit different.

Nintendoland Pikmin is pretty fun.
It's a bit of a sampler of Pikmin 3.

Everytime I start this minigame, I remember Pikmin which was my first game on the gamecube. I remember playing it without a memory card so I had to start again from the beginning everytime I turned the console off. After a few days I got good enough at it to finish the game in one go. Needless to say, nostalgia tears everytime, I cannot wait for Pikmin 3 and hope I won't be disappointed.

I picked this up but really haven't played it much (one game of the Ninja game). Been giving all the time to NSMBU and ZombiU.

The question is: Does this have decent replay value if you aren't doing multiplayer?

Basically deciding whether to put more time into it or just sell it while the credit price would be decent.

Games have a surprising amount of depth for the most part. When people hear mini game collection, they usually think mario party mini game style, fun but shallow. This is not really the case for Nintendo Land. Single player games are decently long, and have good replay value if you are into speedrunning and getting better scores. Sadly, this last aspect hasn't been explored enough (absence of online leaderboards). The three cooperative/solo games seem to be pretty long too, I haven't finished them yet.

You'll probably need to play some of the solo mini games and see if you're interested. They may appear simple on the surface, but they're hard to master. Should try DK crash course. They also are a pretty good showcase of what Nintendo aims for with the wii u, so playing them gives you an idea of what to expect. My advice is playing this game with another person (gf, wife, roommate, friend) even if it's only single player with one watching on the TV, it's way better this way.

I guess it's cool to keep around for the multi too in case you have the setup/people for it one day.

Jackano

I was waiting for this kind of post when I saw the third level (a dungeon) with vibrant colors but a true good Zelda design.

However, I got an update (second one for me), and like I said on Miiverse, I had to redo the tutorial. It's like my save is gone but my old highscores are still there. It's odd. My old DK scores were here but I had to redo the firsts Battle Quest levels I already beat yesterday.
And my Nintendo Land plazza and coins and arcade machine/gifts.. all gone, resetted.
The worst is the Monita talking and talking and talking...

Damned, I was fearing the day where Nintendo discover patches. And hell, they love it!
Last thing about this is, the update is 365MB, the basic set owners will be so fraked in a year or two with their 8GB... Erff 7.2GB, if the first game they buy already take 1 extra GB after two fays on the market...

zroid

Banned
Last thing about this is, the update is 365MB, the basic set owners will be so fraked in a year or two with their 8GB... Erff 7.2GB, if the first game they buy already take 1 extra GB after two fays on the market...

Some of these update sizes are showing a profound lack of foresight concerning the 8GB in the basic model. And isn't it more like 5 or so because of the OS?

Hopefully it's just launchitis, and future games will be fully baked from the start.

Hm, I realized that there is no way to use touch controls in games like Trine2 and Piktendoland without staring down at the gamepad screen.
That's fine, but does seem to limit gameplay a bit.

Madouu

Hm, I realized that there is no way to use touch controls in games like Trine2 and Piktendoland without staring down at the gamepad screen.
That's fine, but does seem to limit gameplay a bit.

In Balloon Breeze, you are encouraged to focus on the TV mainly, this is facilitated by the fact that you don't have to point to an exact location on the screen to move your mii.

In other applications where precise location pointing is important, there's a little cursor that shows on the TV when you press the touch screen. It's by no mean ideal though, there's basically no way to play Pik-land :)p) while watching the TV.

For Pikmin 3, I wish they'd keep the classic controls from the first game, and let us use the touch screen for more precise controls (making pikmin groups that you can assign to a touch-shortcut, being able to draw routes that these groups will follow, easy to use spells/items on the touch screen if they ever implement it).

I'd rather see something like this that could add to the gameplay depth than just control scheme redundancies: Being able to use the controller or the touchpad to move Olimar for example. But they will probably go for the latter.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Because I had as much fun playing this game alone as with my wife, then with my kids, and because I enjoyed it twice as much with a couple of friends, Nintendo Land will get my GOTY vote. It succeeds on so many levels it's not even funny. Nintendo Land = serious business.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Because I had as much fun playing this game alone as with my wife, then with my kids, and because I enjoyed it twice as much with a couple of friends, Nintendo Land will get my GOTY vote. It succeeds on so many levels it's not even funny. Nintendo Land = serious business.

It...actually might be a contendor for me as well, and I've played it like once, but its the most fun I've had all year. Although I haven't played most of the "big" games this year like Dishonored yet though

zroid

Banned
If I had more people in my life with whom I could play regularly, I might be in the same boat. Still, as it stands, those 4-5 hours I spent playing four-player Nintendo Land undoubtedly provided some of the best fun I've had playing games with friends in years.

Neiteio

Hmm, I have my black Wii U and Nintendo Land sitting still in its box in the corner of my room... I'm waiting until Christmas to boot it up with family... A tradition of sorts with new consoles... And originally I wasn't planning on getting a WiiU until TW101... But there was an opportunity, and now I have it... And all this Nintendo Land hype intrigues me... I'm especially interested in Balloon Trip Breeze... And putting dot-dot-dots after every sentence I write...

Seik

Banned
Man, me and two friends played this all day, this game got some content and potential, way more than Wii Sports if you ask me.

My park was almost empty at the beginning of the day and now its full of stuff everywhere.

That Pikmin game really hyped me for Pikmin 3, its just SO good. :p

Funny how much flak this game copped (including from me) but now it's actually one of the best games to launch with the wii U.

I have to say though this game really makes me crave a new mario party.

SuperPac

Hmm, I have my black Wii U and Nintendo Land sitting still in its box in the corner of my room... I'm waiting until Christmas to boot it up with family... A tradition of sorts with new consoles... And originally I wasn't planning on getting a WiiU until TW101... But there was an opportunity, and now I have it... And all this Nintendo Land hype intrigues me... I'm especially interested in Balloon Trip Breeze... And putting dot-dot-dots after every sentence I write...

You should at least break it out of the box and do the setup stuff, otherwise that Christmas session is going to be boring for a few hours at the start.

DrWong

Amazing pretty fun game!
Couldn't join my son and his friend for the Zelda (beautiful visuals) and the Metroid attractions sessions 'cause I was missing a motion+, but just watching them was enough to enjoy. I will upgrade my others wiimotes tomorrow to play with them.
We also played the Luigi and Pikmin games with 5 players and it was a real blast. Today I'll try the solo games. I need to unlock stuff now.

Neiteio

You should at least break it out of the box and do the setup stuff, otherwise that Christmas session is going to be boring for a few hours at the start.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Maybe the weekend before I'll set it up, download the billion-hour firmware update, and then not play it until Christmas. :)

MANGOD

Banned
Got this with the premium expecting to trade in for money of another game but this is my most played game so far, really well done. And the thought of the next 3d mario game looking like this rocks my socks

onilink88

Having spent enough time with it, I can definitely say I sold the poor game short. Friends were over, so I decided to finally crack it open. And as far as mini-game collections go, Nintendo Land is right up there with Mario Party 2, and for me, that's saying a lot. The Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid, and Mario attractions were a source of endless mischief and laughter- this is some of the most fun I've ever had with a game. It's a shame how many people will simply dismiss it by way of quick, off-handed remarks of "Meh, cheap mini-game cash-in!"

Other remarks:
- the one player attractions are deceptively hard; I'm looking at DK's in particular
- the game is just gorgeous, especially at night

Top Bottom