• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii? Non! - Nintendo Land |OT|

So played this with a couple of friends when I brought the console over. So, so great. Spent yesterday afternoon and basically the whole Sunday on Nintendoland and NSMBU. Awesome. Zelda and surprisingly DK were the favorites.

warerare

I opened mine up to run all te updates, downloaded a copy of Nintendo Land with the free code Amazon gave me and have whipped out the pack in copy for trade in. The system is now ready for out of the box play on Christmas morning. I did spend a few minutes flicking through TV channels with the gamepad though, that was awesome.

I have been addicted to this game more then I thought i'd be. The Donkey Kong mini game is so fun to play, Wish they added more levels though.

Mardak

Have not tried it yet as I am assuming its all multiplayer. Is that right?
Only 3 of the 12 attractions require other people to play. There's 6 games that only need 1 player, 3 games that are cooperative but can be played alone, and 3 games that are competitive and require others. Each of the games that you can play alone also have unlockable harder difficulties with various challenges too.

Koren

- the one player attractions are deceptively hard; I'm looking at DK's in particular
There's different tracks? (I didn't find the first one difficult, though I don't understand how you must catch the very last large coin)

Nice game. It reminded me some old mechanical games, btw...

Is there a list for stamps? How do you figure what you have to do?

Chatin

Have not tried it yet as I am assuming its all multiplayer. Is that right?
Half of the games are single player. Nintendoland is definitely more fun as a multiplayer experience, though, even if you're playing the single player games with friends.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Playing Zelda and Pikmin with my my 6 and 4 daughters, and enjoying every moment of it = priceless.

Jackano

Other remarks:
- the one player attractions are deceptively hard; I'm looking at DK's in particular

I'm happy to see this posted!

My first week-end of Wii U and I got my ass kicked on both NSMBU and Nintendo Land-Battle Quest.
Triggered three times the super guide in Mario, used it two times (one doesn't count actually, it was a secret level/shortcut I didn't use anyway).

And Battle Quest is hard. Probably the hardest Zelda game since... at least Majora's Mask, oh there was Four Sword Anniversary Edition too but you got several fairies in FSAE, here in Battle Quest you have 6 hearts and nothing more!
And I don't speak about DK or Metroid...

So, no more "it's too easy" Club Nintendo surveys!

JoeInky

I've spent my 20 hours in Nintendoland so far just trying to beat the crash course stages and master the metroid missions.

This shit is damn hard, easily one of the hardest games nintendo has made in a while, some of the master rank conditions on metroid are just insane.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If I ever said anything bad about this game I take it back.

Seik

Banned
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Maybe the weekend before I'll set it up, download the billion-hour firmware update, and then not play it until Christmas. :)

Not only this but there's lots of tutorials and monita explanations about what's going on in the park for the first hour, just saying. :p

Mardak

We didn't realize until on of our friends got a Wii U for himself that the ghost could charge up an attack with ZL and ZR being held at the same time to charge up and release purple ghosts to zap people of their batteries and also destroy any batteries on the map.
Has anyone come up with a good strategy to deal with when the Gamepad ghost player uses the ZL+ZR attack? The purple regions cover a decent amount of space and last for a few seconds, so even if nobody gets their battery zapped, it corners people pretty easily.

Fabrik

Banned
This is going to sound like an advert for Wii U and Nintendoland. But I just had an amazing WE playing this with my friends (A few gamers and non-gamers, one apparently even hating videogames usually, and two girls totally non-gamers). 4 Wiimotes. Everyone loved it! The 3 main competitive games were all extremely popular, there's not one less interesting than the other and it's quite an accomplishment. We started with Mario Chase, and in no time everyone was shouting and communicating with each other. Then we tried Luigi's Mansion but it was not as popular at first because the ghost kept winning but once everyone understood the game mechanics, the batteries, the vibrations, and using team work, it was incredibly fun. People panicking, helping each other, trying to trap the ghost into a corner. Animal Crossing was also instantly popular. People laughing at their animals becoming huge, throwing candies in a hurry, 2 people on the same gamepad. Everyone played until 2am on Saturday night. I just checked the activity log and we played 7 hours today!
At least two persons mentioned wanting to buy a Wii U for this.
To me, this experience shows Nintendoland is simply the best local multiplayer game of the year. But I'd say in my 26 years of gaming, this is at least in my top 5 of multiplayer fun with Super Mario Kart, Starcraft, Wii Sports/Resort and Bomberman. It's been such a long time since I've seen so much people enjoying a game together. After E3, I was disappointed with Nintendo showing, simply because I wanted to see a glimpse of the new EAD Tokyo and Retro Studios games, but now I understand why Nintendo felt Nintendoland was their flagship title. You could see Katsuya Eguchi was proud of it and now it's obvious why. This title is really groundbreaking and is not possible anywhere else. Nintendo surprises and shakes up the industry yet again.
** bows **

Davey Cakes

Thumbs up, Fabrik. I had a similar experience on launch day, and we only got to four of the attractions. The three competitive ones really are brilliant in terms of sucking people in. Their mechanics are rather simple but when you factor in different numbers of players, passing the Gamepad around, and the fact that the room is filled with 5+ people communicating with each other, there's more depth to the overall experience.

I really need to get a big group of my friends together again for this. The game shines when you have 4-5 players or more. Participation is key in turning Nintendo Land into an A+ game.

Funny, I never thought of using "two players on the Gamepad" for Animal Crossing. That's actually not a bad idea!

NeoRausch

cross posting from the release day thread.

holy sea sickness!

is there any way to turn off this stupid pad cam control in the Nintendo Land plaza? i love everything about this game exept this one idea.

the cam is over sensitiv and the turning of the screen HAS to be the most stupid idea since war with nuclear weapons on both sides.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
One "problem" with the game (if you could call it a problem) is that it is entirely skill-based. I have been playing Attraction Tour a with random groups, and it's always evident who has been playing on their own and who hasn't. This isn't a knock on the game at all, as all it means is there is a fair amount of depth there, but it does mean that some people end up frustrated after losing game after game.

eternalb

One "problem" with the game (if you could call it a problem) is that it is entirely skill-based. I have been playing Attraction Tour a with random groups, and it's always evident who has been playing on their own and who hasn't. This isn't a knock on the game at all, as all it means is there is a fair amount of depth there, but it does mean that some people end up frustrated after losing game after game.

Mostly, but not entirely. Both Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing feature randomized elements.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Miis you see in the games themselves like the AI Pikmin, dancers in Octopus Dance or the islanders in Balloon Trip, are they randomly generated or are they too Miis from people around the world? If the former, what happened to the good ol' feature of using the system's Miis. Sure I only have two on the system (not including my avatar) but I've yet to see them.

hachi

Banned
DK's Crash Course is one of my favorite things in a long time. I love the mechanical, craft-like, arcade aesthetic and physics. Beautiful and perfectly structured as a game of skill.

klier

- the game is just gorgeous, especially at night

I have the game too, but haven't spent much time with it yet (I like what I have seen though, a lot), but is there a night and day cycle or something? I have only seen the day time....

Davey Cakes

I have the game too, but haven't spent much time with it yet (I like what I have seen though, a lot), but is there a night and day cycle or something? I have only seen the day time....
There's a switch in the Plaza that turns it into daytime, sunset, or nighttime.

A prize lets you switch the time of day.
Ah, for some reason I don't remember opening it as a prize, but I guess you're right.

Spent 4 hours playing Zelda quest this week-end with a friend, and was really surprised how good it is, there is a surprising amount of tactic required in the sword combat. In fact it might not look like it in the first stages but most of the Zelda Skyword Sword fighting tricks are in the game and required to finish it.

And like a lot of people here I'm addicted to Donkey Kong's crash course, which also has some of the best Nintendo music in years, with a great mix of 8 bit instruments and real percussion.

I would encourage anyone who gave up on this game after one or 2 levels in each attraction to try and push a little further.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Had my first real go on it today
Was surprised how challenging the games were.
I take back any unkind comments I posted about Nintendoland during E3.
I wish my photo wouldn't keep appearing. It really puts me off.

Madouu

You can turn that off :)

It's mainly meant to be for spectators to watch, anyway.

It's pretty funny in Octopus Dance :D

Well that multiplayer tip in singleplayer games is pretty cool, thanks for posting that guys. We've been taking turns helping each other with my girlfriend in some of the games for the last few hours, and for someone that likes to think of himself as a "hardcore gamer" that only plays games on hard and refuses any kind of tip/help, I am almost ashamed to admit that this is great fun. It's cool to relax from time to time and just have fun!

Mariolee

I just realized that Nintendo Land is probably going to be a SSB stage where it switches attractions. And it will be amazing.

Def Jukie

I am having so much more fun with this game than I thought I would. I'm really surprised how much depth some of the games have. Also, this game has some really great music and I love the way most of the games look.

The park really reminds me of Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Probably has to do with the colors, lighting and that Monita looks like L.O.G. It's really making me want N&B 2 or something similar to it on the Wii U. You could do all sorts of crazy stuff with the gamepad.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The Miis you see in the games themselves like the AI Pikmin, dancers in Octopus Dance or the islanders in Balloon Trip, are they randomly generated or are they too Miis from people around the world? If the former, what happened to the good ol' feature of using the system's Miis. Sure I only have two on the system (not including my avatar) but I've yet to see them.

In the Mii Maker, you can tag up to 100 (I believe) Miis as "Favorite" Miis. These will appear in your software.

shibbs

How the hell do I beat the first DK crash course? I keep dying near the princess. I drop to the left platform but I keep crashing.

How the hell do I beat the first DK crash course? I keep dying near the princess. I drop to the left platform but I keep crashing.

you have to go faster on the last two platforms, if you go too slow you'll flip over. that's the trick. go as fast as you possibly can while maintaining control and then you need to tilt the other way right away once you land.

Madouu

The easiest way to do it is dropping on the platform below the penultimate flag, then slowly tilting to the right towards the edge until your cart falls in the air ... does a flip and lands back on its wheels next to the finish flag.

It's explained a bit earlier in the thread, and there's a video of a speedrun that uses it.

The same thing is possible by dropping to the second platform, and falling from the left this time.

What there is more than one!!!!

Most of the mini games have more meat to them than what one might think. Those I've played so far:

The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest & Pikmin Adventure: Expert mode after you finish up all the normal stages.
Takamaru's Ninja Castle: Throw a few shuriken at (fake)Princess-Monita after you kill the last boss and she is thanking you for saving her. It will unlock a harder version of the game.
Donkey Kong's Crash Course: My favorite! 4 boards, red/blue stages + 2 harder version of those. You have to finish a stage twice to unlock the other if I remember correctly.
Balloon Trip Breeze: You just need to finish the game once to unlock extra days.

edit: typos, grammar, I'm tired.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How is Yoshi's fruit cart scores? We were playing attraction tour and one player won by 2 points. We thought maybe line length makes a difference, but the losing player looked to have a shorter line.

Can you select other courses in DK, or do you always have to play through from course 1?

Madouu

Can you select other courses in DK, or do you always have to play through from course 1?

Unless there's a hidden way of doing it, nope you always gotta restart from course 1. It's okay though, you can consistently do it in about 60 seconds after a few tries with the safe shortcuts.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In the Mii Maker, you can tag up to 100 (I believe) Miis as "Favorite" Miis. These will appear in your software.

Oh so you have to tag them now. Guess I'll import more from my 3DS then. Always fun to spot your own Miis in games.

Top Bottom