• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii? Non! - Nintendo Land |OT|

D-e-f-

Banned
How does this thread have fewer posts than the hate thread?

You've answered your own question. The keyword is "hate". Hate threads are more exciting.

Most of the happy people are posting in Miiverse trollolo *cough* ahem.

And that, too :p

is it possible they patch the game with more levels? DLC?
a lot of mini games there deserve more levels

You sure there's not an unlockable stage? Might be tied to highscores or something.

catabarez

WHERE?!

Also: while piloting Samus's gunship I was wondering how you could replicate that on a non-GamePad controller and realized you'd need three analog sticks.

When I beat it a second time a path opened up which lead me to that blocked off door at the bottom of the stage.

Hero

In the first level of DK's Crash Course how do you get past section 9? I know it's something to do with timing of the pressing of the R button but I can't figure it out. Can't find any solution videos either.

Lucent

We're too busy having fun with Nintendo Land.

Yep. It's funny how people want to waste time continuously talking about how much they hate a game and stuff than playing something they like and letting people who like the game just like it. =/

Kyou

Octopus Dance ended up being a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

It seems to secretly be an analog stick training program for non-gamers though

Octopus Dance ended up being a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

It seems to secretly be an analog stick training program for non-gamers though

I forgot to mention that one in my initial opinion of Nintendoland, it's not bad at all though I have to get used to fresh new analog sticks and moving them so accurately, I played the minigame once and got too many "ok"s.

It's like getting a C in school.

In the first level of DK's Crash Course how do you get past section 9? I know it's something to do with timing of the pressing of the R button but I can't figure it out. Can't find any solution videos either.

slightly tilt the pad to the slope, and then hit R really fast.

Muffdraul

Any point in playing this solo, whatsoever? My multiplayer days are far behind me, but a copy of this came in the box. Not sure I should bother even breaking the cellophane wrapper.

Any point in playing this solo, whatsoever? My multiplayer days are far behind me, but a copy of this came in the box. Not sure I should bother even breaking the cellophane wrapper.
I have played quite a bit just single player and there is a lot of meat there for just one person.

Hoodbury

There are only 3 games that require multiplayer so ya there is a lot of content for a solo player.

linko9

This is a really good game. I'm quite surprised. I've been playing a lot of DK, and it's a really well done and original arcade-style game
and the second board reveal is awesome
. So far, I also really like Pikimin, balloon trip, AC, and I actually think F-Zero is really fun. The games are not at all the "casual mini games" I expected; instead they're generally pretty challenging, if you're going for high scores, and are a blast to play. Very happy with this game, and I've still only played around half the games.

CrisKre

I didn´t think I would enjoy this as much as I am. The presentation and production value of this are THROUGH THE ROOF. Im really shocked at how it looks and sounds. This is secretly my favorite title of Wii U´s launch.

JoeFu

Banned
So there is more to DK... if I could only finish the last part without dying I could easily have 5 lives at the end....

matthwq

Banned
I'm glad to see some positive things in this thread. I've been really enjoying the game and was beginning to feel like a crazy fanboy for doing so.

The only problem I have with Captain Falcon's mini-game is my controller doesn't seem to calibrate or something and it's always slightly either to the left or the right even after laying it down on the table.

izakq

I'm having a blast with the Pikmin and Zelda themed games with my son. The Mario chase is also great fun as well.

JoeFu

Banned
The only problem I have with Captain Falcon's mini-game is my controller doesn't seem to calibrate or something and it's always slightly either to the left or the right even after laying it down on the table.
Yeah, I have to re-position my body to match with what the gamepad counts as 0 or whatever. Calibration is really off in that game, but like people said, it's probably because we move the controller back and forth so much it loses it.

so it's true to the series after all :D

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. I made it to area 2 before I died.

Also put some more time into Metroid Blast and I love it. This game....

I don't care how underpowered this console is, but this is the most fun I had in a while.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After listening to months of trolling over this game's existence, I have come to the conclusion that a lot of people don't want nice things.

I've enough time in now, to fully believe the developers when they said that they wanted to create something that was more finely balanced between casual and core gaming, using this as the experiment. Most of the attractions really are quality, and have more meat and depth than anything in a Wii "minigame" collection. And more depth than most of the disciplines in Wii Sports Resort.

Presentation matters. Tying everything together in an elaborate park, the Miiverse layer, adds the context and motivation for delving deeper and coming back. I realize the common thought is that NintendoLand is no Wii Sports. I would agree that's true. I'm starting to wonder though, if it's not supposed to be Wii Sports. One should be careful of "fighting the next war like the last war". Wii Sports was largely shock value. Get loads of people who didn't pay attention to video games to come over and dare to pick a game controller up. Prove to them they could like games. NintendoLand seems different. Everyone knows about Wii now. The so-called casual folks are playing games all the time, even if on their phones. I wonder if this game's purpose as a Wii U conceptual tutorial with real depth is not meant to get people to stay longer. Get the social angle across, not just local play, but Miiverse.

It almost seems intended as something you want to come back to regularly to stop by, go around the plaza, play a few attractions, and be rewarded with a steady stream of trinkets, unlocks, prizes, and fresh faces that present their game statistics to you.

At this point my only real criticism remains the 3 multiplayer only games could have been fleshed out and given single player support. And it is true that online play could have worked for at least some of the attractions, unlike say, the problems it would cause in NSMB U.

But this is really good.

I know there has been some lamenting that certain Nintendo franchises did not receive attractions (Star Fox, Kirby, Pokemon, Wario, Kid Icarus) so does anyone think there will be some attractions added through DLC? I know I would buy an expansion of the park with 3-4 new attractions for $10-15. I would ask on whether or not we would see a sequel but I think they would want to keep it all in one park to further capitalize on the Miiverse integration.

JoeFu

Banned
Metroid Blast... Man, not sure why I waited so long to play this one. I just fought the first boss!

Kraid! Such an intense fight! Playing basketball to kill him was kinda annoying, but after I got used to the trajectory of the charge shot/bomb I had it down in no time.

D-e-f-

Banned
I wonder if this game's purpose as a Wii U conceptual tutorial with real depth is not meant to get people to stay longer. Get the social angle across, not just local play, but Miiverse.

I believe there's a Miyamoto or Iwata quote out there that mentions exactly this aspect as one of the core concepts behind Nintendo Land.

metroid blast wiimote or upad? which one's more fun?

There's actually a
second level. It's "blue" and only appears after you beat the first level a second time. Not sure if there's any more levels after that. Haven't beat that one yet.

Edit: Sorry, beaten.
i lucked out when i beat lv1 area 10, i need to master it... man, crash course is so good, i'd buy a standalone version if they ever make one.

Haunted

WF5jw.gif

the biggest criticism I can levy against this game at this point involves the lack of overall leaderboards beyond local leaderboards, if only at the friends list level to show you the high scores of your buddies. Yes, you can snap a screenshot of your high score and share it on miiverse with some smack talk, but given the focus on the miiverse integration that is already in place, it just seems puzzling

Boogiepop

Oh man, just played a ton of this and I'm loving it. So much awesome stuff in here.

Are the stars just for single player attractions, or are they for the multiplayer ones too? Also, on the DK game, I keep getting to the part where you move the platforms up tilting and down tilting with the right stick (not spinning) and I can get past that, but there's a normal jump/drop at the end that keeps killing me. Should I be taking that slow or hard, or maybe somewhere inbetween?

Oh man, just played a ton of this and I'm loving it. So much awesome stuff in here.

Are the stars just for single player attractions, or are they for the multiplayer ones too? Also, on the DK game, I keep getting to the part where you move the platforms up tilting and down tilting with the right stick (not spinning) and I can get past that, but there's a normal jump/drop at the end that keeps killing me. Should I be taking that slow or hard, or maybe somewhere inbetween?

If it is the drop in the bottom left, take it fairly fast... not top speed but quicker than you would expect.

gkryhewy

This game is really good. Surprising amount of depth. Favorites are yoshi's fruit cart (starred this one), balloon trip, f-zero, zelda.... I rather like them all, actually. Though DK is too hard for me.

Hiltz

Got a question.

Can you play the local multiplayer games with AI bots if you only have 1 person playing or do you need at least 2 players ?

Top Bottom