• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Party U |OT| Next gen knitting

legend166

The best thing about this game is it doesn't have all the extraneous stuff that seeped into the later Mario Party titles. Playing board games became such a chore.

Also, being able to remove the AI controlled player.

Septimius

The best thing about this game is it doesn't have all the extraneous stuff that seeped into the later Mario Party titles. Playing board games became such a chore.

Also, being able to remove the AI controlled player.

MP9 sucked. MP7 and 6 were the best. I especially loved "on the same space means duel during the last 5 turns" in 6. The board-game is the core of the entertainment value, to me. The mini-games rock, but they're bound together by a compelling board game that you can skew in your favor with skill.

I'm a bit sad the board-game isn't that good in Wii Party U, but I'm looking forward to a new bout of mini games, with the gamepad, too.

Also, is there at all any need for four Wii Motion Plus? I'm still trying to track down my fourth one, but haven't found it. If there is a need for it, I'll just buy a new one, but if there isn't, I'd like to know :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Also, is there at all any need for four Wii Motion Plus? I'm still trying to track down my fourth one, but haven't found it. If there is a need for it, I'll just buy a new one, but if there isn't, I'd like to know :)

It's needed if you plan to play in 4 people. There are some mini-games that use the only the Gamepad (and you pass it to everyone) or you play 3 (wiimotes) vs. 1 (Gamepad), but a lot of the 4 players minigames use 4 remotes.

Septimius

It's needed if you plan to play in 4 people. There are some mini-games that use the only the Gamepad (and you pass it to everyone) or you play 3 (wiimotes) vs. 1 (Gamepad), but a lot of the 4 players minigames use 4 remotes.

If it didn't come across, I meant 4 wii motion plus :) I have enough controllers, I just can't find my last Motion Plus addon

Davey Cakes

MP9 sucked. MP7 and 6 were the best. I especially loved "on the same space means duel during the last 5 turns" in 6. The board-game is the core of the entertainment value, to me. The mini-games rock, but they're bound together by a compelling board game that you can skew in your favor with skill.
Mario Party 2 and 6 are probably the best in the series.

That said, Mario Party 9 is upper-tier in my opinion. Extremely refreshing in its quality after the shit soup that was Mario Party 8.

Never played 7. Barely touched 3 (where is it on VC?)

Mario Party 1 is broken because of stick-rotating mini games. Mario Party 4 has amazing mini games but terribly bland boards. Mario Party 5 has some of the best boards in the series and decent mini games but has terrible pacing due to how capsules are distributed and "cut scenes" during item use. It also likes to screw everyone over in unfair fashion. The reason MP6 is so good is because it basically streamlined everything introduced in MP5 and kept the board quality up, while also having a stellar set of mini games.

Played a long session today with my wife (high way rollers). i really think the minigames are high quality and I love the rating system. I really hope this means the next mario party will have even better quality.

Rikkun

If it didn't come across, I meant 4 wii motion plus :) I have enough controllers, I just can't find my last Motion Plus addon

Hopefully not, I just bought the game but only have 2 WM+ and 2 WM.

I'll let you know in a few hours if they're needed for something, hopefully not :(

ive hopefully got this coming tomorrow, what are the tabletop games like?

i love them. especially baseball is a lot of fun. some of them are really simple stuff (make a burger by touching certain ingridients, which is good fun btw) others are a bit more strategic (there is a make a mii mode which is kinda like othelo)

BowieZ

Banned
ive hopefully got this coming tomorrow, what are the tabletop games like?

cocaine.jpg

Kolgar

I picked up Wii U Party along with Game & Wario and a third title during Target's "buy-two, get-one" sale last week. We're hosting Thanksgiving this year and I wanted something fresh that even the non-gamers would enjoy.

So the other night, after showing my girlfriend the PS4, I broke out this game. We spent the next three hours laughing and grinning ear to ear as we played the Island board game and then took random samples of the minigames.

My girlfriend loved it! She wasn't a gamer when I met her, but she did go bonkers over Little Big Planet back in the day. Since then, it's been hard to catch her interest with anything, but she kept saying over and over how much fun she was having with Wii Party U. I had to agree.

We genuinely enjoyed all of the mini-games we played; I don't remember a dud in the bunch. Standouts include the river log-rolling game, the hat-trying-on game, and the wildlife race, but those are only a few of our favorites.

The game looks fine, too. I take issue with a lot of video game reviews these days, so one of the outlets' condemnation that the game has a "dull-as-dirt" presentation comes off as harsh and unfair. The game is cute-looking and perfectly satisfying for what it is.

Plus, there's still something both fun and comfortable about playing with the Wiimotes. They remain as versatile and easy to use as ever.

This game is going to make for a fun afternoon (and lots and lots of laughs) on Thanksgiving!

I picked up Wii U Party along with Game & Wario and a third title during Target's "buy-two, get-one" sale last week. We're hosting Thanksgiving this year and I wanted something fresh that even the non-gamers would enjoy.

So the other night, after showing my girlfriend the PS4, I broke out this game. We spent the next three hours laughing and grinning ear to ear as we played the Island board game and then took random samples of the minigames.

My girlfriend loved it! She wasn't a gamer when I met her, but she did go bonkers over Little Big Planet back in the day. Since then, it's been hard to catch her interest with anything, but she kept saying over and over how much fun she was having with Wii Party U. I had to agree.

We genuinely enjoyed all of the mini-games we played; I don't remember a dud in the bunch. Standouts include the river log-rolling game, the hat-trying-on game, and the wildlife race, but those are only a few of our favorites.

The game looks fine, too. I take issue with a lot of video game reviews these days, so one of the outlets' condemnation that the game has a "dull-as-dirt" presentation comes off as harsh and unfair. The game is cute-looking and perfectly satisfying for what it is.

Plus, there's still something both fun and comfortable about playing with the Wiimotes. They remain as versatile and easy to use as ever.

This game is going to make for a fun afternoon (and lots and lots of laughs) on Thanksgiving!
Yeah i really think this time around the minigames are all consistent and some are really high quality (especially the ones with the gamepad). There are some really luck based ones but there are no minigames that just control badly.

My wife also loves Wii party U despite not being an avid gamer (My wife does love RPGs and animal crossing type games but as soon as there is action involved she usually passes.)

Have a lot of fun on thanks giving!

Davey Cakes

Nice impressions, everyone. I could have predicted that this game would be a hit with families.

I've had tons of fun with the multiplayer thus far.

One of my favorite features is definitely the rankings. I mean, the minigames only seem to average in the range of 3.0 to the uppers 4's but still, you can see what people obviously liked the most. Nintendo needs to put more of this sort of feedback in their games. It's both helpful to them and interesting as a player.

The Boat

Yeah the game is very good fun and the graphics are actually very charming although not as much as Nintendo Land's. there are some pretty good textures actually!
The game doesn't need motion plus in any game as far as I know.

A bunch of friends came over last night and I decided to break out this game to see if people enjoyed it. The group consisted of non-gamers and CoD players. Everybody had a blast. There was so much laughing and yelling, just pure fun. We ended up playing it the whole time (8pm - 1am).

Best games are Balldozer and Spot the Sneak.

Rikkun

Yeah the game is very good fun and the graphics are actually very charming although not as much as Nintendo Land's. there are some pretty good textures actually!
The game doesn't need motion plus in any game as far as I know.

Thanks! Batteries' acid burned my Zelda WM+ and killed it, luckily I'm back to having 2 WM+ thanks to this bundle.. I'm actually astonished Nintendo can still sell these things for 50€.

Nice impressions, everyone. I could have predicted that this game would be a hit with families.

I've had tons of fun with the multiplayer thus far.

One of my favorite features is definitely the rankings. I mean, the minigames only seem to average in the range of 3.0 to the uppers 4's but still, you can see what people obviously liked the most. Nintendo needs to put more of this sort of feedback in their games. It's both helpful to them and interesting as a player.
yeah i liked rating minigames as well.

they seem to gather that information. nintendo should do this for all their (mini) games honestly.
Thanks! Batteries' acid burned my Zelda WM+ and killed it, luckily I'm back to having 2 WM+ thanks to this bundle.. I'm actually astonished Nintendo can still sell these things for 50€.

i assume its them trying to bring wiiu back on track. kinda like with wii play.

The Boat

Ouch :/ yeah, companies always sell controllers for a lot, they make a lot of profit and since the remote+ is relatively recent and still relevant, they'll keep selling it at that price.

Rikkun

So yeah, I played all night with my old Wiimote and it never asked for the Motion+.

Tried the compilation with all the zigzags and the bridges and

zlCfzRMYbg02sbm63U

I got unlucky TWICE, but finally won.

Then I tried the dojo and

zlCfzRMYzZc-sM9TCS

DREAMS.

Seems like a solid party game, too bad sometimes it only takes luck to beat the most skilled player (which might be the core of party gaming..).

Multiplayer still to be tested because my friends are silly.

PS: I may or may not have had fun flooding the EU miiverse with silly captions. Sorry.

Septimius

Four of us got together and played this on Saturday. I'm annoyed that the game can't be more clear about the need for Motion Plus, as in if there are four motion pluses, that some other mini-games are relevant.

However, you don't need motion plus for most games in this game. It's very much Mario Party, and a lot of fun. Too bad the board games are worse, and that it's really only "Highway rollers" that's fun. However, the amount of great mini-games makes this game exactly what I wish it was.

Bond007

So whats the best way to enjoy this?
I have a Gamepad, Pro controller and 1 Wiimote/Chuck

Im assuming i need 4 Wii-motes.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So whats the best way to enjoy this?
I have a Gamepad, Pro controller and 1 Wiimote/Chuck

Im assuming i need 4 Wii-motes.

To play the 4-players games you need 4 Wii remotes, indeed. Except for the mini-games that involve passing the Gamepad to each player. But from my experience those are less enjoyable in case of a party and you rather want everyone to be involved.

Bond007

To play the 4-players games you need 4 Wii remotes, indeed. Except for the mini-games that involve passing the Gamepad to each player. But from my experience those are less enjoyable in case of a party and you rather want everyone to be involved.

Thanks for the help!
More money to spend yay! lol

Went to game and it was onsale for £35... had £10 of vouchers so £25 for a wiimote and the game is a bargain.

So much fun playing it, can't wait for xmas the family will be playing it instead of the usual crap!

maxcriden

Thanks for the thread bump, my wife and I played a round of Highway Rollers last night and I wanted to post my impressions. The game is very reminiscent of Mario Party with slightly less switcheroo/preference trickery. Most of the minigames are clever and fun. I like the one where you weigh the fruit. As others have said the one where you choose a path to not get hit by an asteroid is not very fun. The bird watching and bird photography games are fun as is the hot potato one. On the whole the game is a lot of fun. As for the Gamepad games, foosball is great. Baseball is fun and tricky. Animal match-up is cute and pretty fun. Gauntlet's not bad. It's definitely a nice game to have laying around when you want a good party game.

rawktapus

In past Mario Parties, my friends and I always hated the games where you just pick an option and hope you win, but the Ostrich minigame is so darn goofy, that everyone cheers when it gets picked.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In past Mario Parties, my friends and I always hated the games where you just pick an option and hope you win, but the Ostrich minigame is so darn goofy, that everyone cheers when it gets picked.

Yeah, I played it on Saturday with some friends and we all tried to cheer the Ostrich away from the bush we were hiding. It was real fun.

zroid

Banned
Got this with the MK8 offer and had a couple friends over so we decided to give it a go. The plan was probably to just check it out briefly and then do something else, but we ended up playing it for 5-6 hours straight. It's pretty friggin' good.

Personal faves among the stuff we played:
- Button Smashers <-- cant go wrong with button pressing Twister
- Sketchy Situation <-- this game is just insanely hilarious. laughed myself hoarse thanks to this. My throat is still sore.
- Spot the Sneak <-- really interesting concept, lots of fun
- Bridge Building <-- yay co-operation!

edit: just remembered that lost pet game; also awesome

Richie

Traded in a lot of oooold games today and got Mario Party 10 with the amiibo, but the seller was a great fellow and threw in Wii Party U as well! How true is it that this feels more like classic Mario Party? Excited to give it a go with some friends and drinks soon.

Top Bottom