• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Party U |OT| Next gen knitting

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Telegraph.co.uk review: 8/10
In its diversity and jubilant embrace of the second screen ecosystem, Wii Party U creates a very compelling proposition for gamers of all ages.

Whether it’s the board games, the table top two-player Gamepad challenges or the physical party games there is something for most tastes here.

In this Wii Party U joins Nintendo Land as a clear reason to own a Wii U, and offers an experience you simply won’t find anywhere else.

8/10

Gamesradar: 7/10
Various 1 vs. 3 minigames successfully showcase the console’s “asymmetrical gameplay,” giving one player a unique perspective on the GamePad while everyone else plays with the Wii Remotes. One game even has everyone using their controllers like ladles and scooping up water from the GamePad screen and transporting it to jugs that appear on the TV. In addition to providing you with a new way to interact with your television, these games are also a great way to interact with everyone around you--and isn’t that the whole point of playing a party game?

Wii Party U’s lackluster presentation and occasionally boring game modes are but hiccups in an otherwise decent party booster. Its impressive GamePad minigames are sure to keep your guests entertained, and will extend the life of the game even after all your friends have gone home. Offering a solid selection of games, modes, and challenges, Wii Party U is a solid addition to anyone’s Wii U library, whether or not you party a lot.

llehuty

Can the table top games be played solo against the CPU?

I don't think anyone answered this. Yes, you can play agains CPU except coop games (only 2 of them). Also, many of you are asking and no, the game doesn't require wii motion plus.
_____

I bought it on Thursday and I already had 2, 3 and 4 player experiences. Sorry for the engrish and the lack of appropiate minigame/mode naming (I'm playing the game in spanish)

First I'll talk of the minigames in general. Most of them are familiar but they usually have a new spin or better/wackier concept.

I think there are only 2 minigames based on luck, which I think is an improvement.
Well technically one where you hide from an ostrcih in a bush that you pick at the beginning of the minigame. The other one is a space themed remake of the one in Wii Party with two trap doors, one red and another blue and one of them randomly removes a hit point (I tried to explain my friends that there is some strategy involved selecting the trap door contrary to the one on the lead if you are tergetin 1st place, but it was useless).

We didn't have any problem with the rest of the minigames, although I think some of them are maybe not very newbie friendly, like the swimming one, with three different types of "smashing patterns". I'm quite happy with some of the improved minigames, like the horse racing one, now it has another layer of startegy with 4 different animals to choose from with different stats.

The highlight IMO are the 1 vs 3 minigames. The use of the gamepad expands in the type of experiences from Nintendoland and Game & Wario, with an obvious focus and simpler and shorter challenges. 2 of this minigames stood out for us:

In one of them, the player from the gamepad places traps in a grid, and the other players have to cross without exactly knowing were the traps are. There are several rounds, and when a player walks over a trap, he is eliminated from the minigame. It can get intense with only one player left in the end.

In the other one, 1 player has to resolve several puzzles in the gamepad while the other three players have smaller, easier puzzles to solve but with the trick that they don't get a new puzzle until the three players have finished it.

Game modes. I'm quite pleased with the variety of game modes. I miss the coop one where you have to ballance a ship placing miis on it, but other than that I'm OK with all of them. The gamepad games cover the quick 5-10 min type of modes for 2 players that Wii Party was missing.

I have not tried all of the party modes, but the one were everyone has to be pressing buttons on the gamepad/wiimote is great.

From the board game modes we only didn't enjoy Gamepad island. It felt very gimmicky, but I can see it being the favourite of little kids. The rest of them cover very nicely the 20 to 60 min gap with a fair ratio of minigame time vs no minigame time (this is another thing I missed from Wii party; Bingo and Wheel of fortune could end up being quite boring with long gaps between minigames).

Overall, I think the game is an improvement, I don't see myself going back to Wii party. It's obvioulsy focused the multiplayer experience, and I don't see myself playing it alone, but I'm happy with the purchase. I already had 4 wiimotes but only one wiimote+ so I think it was a fair deal.

StevieP

Banned
Finally played this tonight. Great party experience. Not quite Mario Party levels of depth in regards to levels obviously, but a lot of the mini games are a blast. The 1 v 3 specifically are great novel uses of the gamepad. Bring liquor into the mix in a party setting and its worth owning.

So we played wii U party with a group of 4 friends and couple of bottles. All of us had played first wii party quite intensively, and even though we've had good fun with this new wii U installement, we all ended up a bit dispointed.

Main critic: gamepad island is so-so.
Emphasis on the gamepad mini games to roll the dice, while not bad, relegate the actual 4 players mini-games to a second plan and make the overall game much slower.
Will have to digg it more I guess (we only had two games on it), but the Island board was our favorit mode on wii party and all of us just thought this version was a bit disapointing.

Now for the things we liked:
_loved the tabletop games: really feels like having a box full of new toys. Some of them are really great and I would definitely pay 10$ for those alone.
_some of the party games are excellent: "name that face" is a blast!

So yea, Wii party U is of course a must have on the wii U, and the bundle is a steal. I'm just not too sure yet of how it compares to its excellent predecessor...next party in a couple of days :p

I would have loved some better offtv play integration.

Tabletop stuff is obviously perfect for offtvplay but the main modes would have been great too.

So we played wii U party with a group of 4 friends and couple of bottles. All of us had played first wii party quite intensively, and even though we've had good fun with this new wii U installement, we all ended up a bit dispointed.

Main critic: gamepad island is so-so.
Emphasis on the gamepad mini games to roll the dice, while not bad, relegate the actual 4 players mini-games to a second plan and make the overall game much slower.
Will have to digg it more I guess (we only had two games on it), but the Island board was our favorit mode on wii party and all of us just thought this version was a bit disapointing.

Now for the things we liked:
_loved the tabletop games: really feels like having a box full of new toys. Some of them are really great and I would definitely pay 10$ for those alone.
_some of the party games are excellent: "name that face" is a blast!

So yea, Wii party U is of course a must have on the wii U, and the bundle is a steal. I'm just not too sure yet of how it compares to its excellent predecessor...next party in a couple of days :p

Yea, I would love some DLC for extra maps and modes for gamepad island to have something more like Wii Party's island.

maxcriden

Is this like Mario party?

Pretty similar, yeah.

Finally got to play some last night. My wife and I played a party mode with two CPU characters, one was a Latino looking gentleman named Kazuhiro. We did this mode where you try to get these little balls into a slot. Your characters are dressed like Blackjack dealers. How you place in each of five random mini games determines how many chances you get to drop a ball. Luck is a big factor and strategy is pretty minimal, but it's a good time regardless. This mode is only 20 minutes or so. We played a skateboarding mini game tha neither of us really "got" but seemed kind of pointless and terribad. The other mini games were fun, though, especially a river rafting one with some impressive water effects. The start menu has pretty cool integration of Miiverse and it's nice to be able to rate mini games. We also did a brief round of football, and it was pretty fun and awesome. It controlled well and the sound effects were similar to the noises a real football table makes, which was a neat touch. So far so good and definitely lots more to check out in the game. Well worth the purchase and I could see it being an 8 or 8.5 out of 10 game.

I hope they don't drop the ball on DLC this time.
Let's hope that the rating system is a sign pointing in the dirrection of future dlc.

Is this like Mario party?

Yes and no. I'd say that Wii party is to Mario party as Snakes and ladders is to Monopoly.
The board game part is really simplified in wii party: it's only about beeing the first to reach the end box, there are no items etc. Wii party U do introduce a couple of new boards/ modes, but still.

On the other hand, wii party (u) offer other things than just board games: there are much more different activities to play, alone or in group, than in Mario Party.

I think no mario party fan should ignore wii party games.

Played enough with my GF to give a brief analysis from a 2-player experience.

This game was built from the ground-up to be a 3-4 player game experience, although some accomodations were made for 2-player guests. The House Party Mode, for example, where you'll find many of the popular games including 'Name the Face' is practically inaccessible to 2 players, as most of the games there are for 3 or more players. In the other modes, including Gamepad Island and TV party, CPU opponents can be added for those mini-games requiring more than 2 players. The CPU replacements are challenging at first for the uninitiated and gaming neophytes in general, but after playing the same mini-game 2-3 times and getting a better grasp of the controls/rules, the CPU opponents, even in the hard settings, pose no challenge.

From personal preference, Gamepad Island is a step-down from its predecessor, IMO. My GF and I found passing the Gamepad back-and-forth to be bothersome after a while. In the original Wii Party, all you needed was a Wii Mote in your hand, and the simplicity of that cannot be understated, especially for casual gamers. Going from Wii Mote to Gamepad and then back to the Wii Motes again broke the seamless trance, which is important because when you're playing a mini-game collection, you want to go from one mini to another quickly to keep players interested and engaged.

'Highway Roller' is a favorite of ours, as is 'Catch the Sneak' and the one mini-game mode where the first player to the top platform is declared champion. In these modes, you win simply by beating the other player in a series of mini-games presented to you both seamlessly and simplistically. Use of the Gamepad depends on the mini-game in question, but it's not the focal point of these modes which is a big plus for my GF.

Overall, I think Wii Party U is very much worth it, especially since it comes bundled with a Wii Mote, making it our third one and you need 3 Wii motes (and 3 players holding them) to take full advantage of Wii Party U. I know I was down on Gamepad Island and the Gamepad use in general, but that's a personal preference - switching from one controller to the next or constantly switching focus from the TV to the Gamepad isn't my idea of a fast and fluidic multiplayer experience, especially when we're going to have friends around who'll probably be holding their phones/beer/whatever in the other hand, then we're going to tell them to put those things down, pick up the controller, no the other controller with the screen on it, etc. etc. etc.

From a 2-player experience, I give Wii Party U a 7. I might change that score once we have guests and explore the 3+ player games.

Hopefully we get some DLC for this title. This is a great warmup for the upcoming Wii Fit U game which I know for a fact will be awesome.

Davey Cakes

I almost prefer Gamepad Island to the original, but both have strengths.

Passing the Gamepad at first was a little confusing and cumbersome but I got used to it quickly.

I think the "point the Gamepad screen away from your face" games were clever.

The strength in Wii Party U seems to be the variety. Not every mode will click but there are enough of them that everyone should find something enjoyable in a social setting.

Just got home from picking this up! Bout to try it now hopefully I can talk my sister into playing it with me. Which mode should I start with?

jakomocha

Just curious, does this game include all the original minigames from Wii Party as well? That Wii remote hide-and-seek game was really creative and fun.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Finally my copy arrived today at home. (I still don't like you, Nintendo, for not putting it on eshop!)
I will try it today with my girlfriend and tomorrow with some friends and I will post impressions.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So, I'm back with the first part.

I played today with my girlfriend for 4 hours and we didn't have time to go through all the game, although we skip completely the House Party section, as it doesn't seem fun with less than 3 people.

The GamePad Party (aka tabletop games) is a blast. This provides the greatest fun in two. By far the prefered game was Mii-in-a-Row followed by the competitive mini-games.

From the TV Party area the GamePad Island is the most suited for 2 players, but we didn't try yet the Teammate Madness. Highway Rollers and The Balldozer looked like it could provide great moments playing it in 4 and we will see this tomorrow when we will have some friends over. But in two, it's sometime annoying to wait for the AI players. Mii Fashion Plaza was the only really boring one until now.

I will come back with more impression after the party tomorrow.

Overall, with so many games and so much diversity my opinion is that it is impossible not to find a section or a set of minigames to enjoy.

dock

Which are generally considered as the best games on here, especially for a group of gamers?

I'm quite smitten by the Safari Race thing, but otherwise I'm unfamiliar with the contents of this game. I'm only buying it for the controller.

Is there any single player content in this game?

Septimius

Is there any four player content I'm missing out on if I don't have 4 Wii Motion Plus? The guys are coming over in an hour, and I'm contemplating buying this game. We'd likely play Mario Party 6 or 7 while kicking it with a few beers, otherwise. Figured this might be fun enough. I have 4 wii motes, 1 with Motion Plus, and 2 attachments. With the additional controller, I'd have 4, but I can't find the last Motion Plus. So I'm wondering if any content needs 4 Motion Plus controllers.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Gaming-age.com review: B
http://www.gaming-age.com/2013/11/wii-party-u-review-wii-u/

the overall content is expansive enough to warrant the asking price, and the additional controller is basically icing on the cake, and an extra guarantee that you can rope a friend or two in for a round of fun if you find yourself ill-equipped.

And while the online functionality might not be a full blown multiplayer experience, I thought the idea of rating the mini-games and uploading those ratings was a smart idea. You’re able to aggregate online ratings and organize some of the mini-games according to how well they score with others, giving you a quick glance at what’s worth playing by most owners, helping you avoid the duds for when you gather together friends and family for a quick gaming session.

If you’ve got a group of three additional players to enjoy Wii Party U with, I definitely think it’s worth checking out. As a single-player game there’s not nearly enough to do that would warrant a purchase, and even as a two-player experience it falls a little short. But with a full group together, you’ll likely get hours and hours of fun out of this one. It’s not what I’d label a Mario Party killer, but with a little more work put into the presentation and packaging of the actual mini-games, it could certainly become one.

Crom

Is there any four player content I'm missing out on if I don't have 4 Wii Motion Plus? The guys are coming over in an hour, and I'm contemplating buying this game. We'd likely play Mario Party 6 or 7 while kicking it with a few beers, otherwise. Figured this might be fun enough. I have 4 wii motes, 1 with Motion Plus, and 2 attachments. With the additional controller, I'd have 4, but I can't find the last Motion Plus. So I'm wondering if any content needs 4 Motion Plus controllers.

I read that you don't need the Motion Plus. You should be fine.

Make sure you take turns doing some of the tabletop baseball. Maybe set up a tournament with 3 innings. It is awesome to catch others off guard and throw a fast pitch before they are set or throw a slow one by them

Septimius

They ended up not having it at the store, so we're sticking with Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Mario Party :D We'll try this next time.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ok, more impressions. I played last night with three other people. We were lazy and dind't want to move around with the wiimotes, so the House party section didn't provide anything really fun for us. But then we tried almosst everything else from TV party to tabletop games. Except for the fashion thing which seems rather useful for children.
And it was fun, fun, fun. And if you don't like the throwing the dice part, you can go to the minigames collection and play battle of minigames (whoever wins 3/5 minigames wins). There are so many game modes that you can alternate that it never gets boring. And I would say that at list 75% of the minigames are very good. I like the fact that you can rate everything.

aechris

Except for the fashion thing which seems rather useful for children.

I played through the fashion game with my wife last night and it was awesome!

Of the board games, I think my favorites are the fashion one and the soccer/poker one. Hilarious!

I played this with my wife last night for the first time. Started off with the board game, and then hit the tabletop mini-games.

Tabletop Baseball is addicting as fuck.

BowieZ

Banned
'Highway Roller' is a favorite of ours, as is 'Catch the Sneak'

[...]

Hopefully we get some DLC for this title. This is a great warmup for the upcoming Wii Fit U game which I know for a fact will be awesome.
Catch the Sneak (or Spot the Sneak, I think) is ace. I unlocked it after playing through two of the board games. It's sort of like "The Mole" but in this case you're trying to win mini-games while trying to spot the one player who's secretly been given a competitive advantage to earn the most points. Trying not to react when it's YOU who doesn't get the rumble is tough! lol

And yeah I hope there is DLC.

My one problem with both Wii Party and Wii Party U is the lack of at least one more intensive, traditional sort of board game... with a few more paths and rules and such.

I'm still waiting on a Wii U version of "Scotland Yard" where one person is a criminal and the other players are detectives trying to hunt down, corner and trap the criminal somewhere on a giant city map, with different modes of transport, and your only clue is the transport ticket stubs left behind each round by the criminal. Or something of that nature, where one person has the GamePad for the whole game, and the other players work together.

Xpite

Neo Member
This game wasnt even on my radar, but I have friends coming over tonight and only had 3 Wii remotes, so figured I would pick it up since there seems to be good impressions of it on here. Looking forward to trying it out later.

cube444

Absolutely loving this with my two nieces this weekend. The ostrich game had us all howling when we first played it.

Lexxism

I played this game together with my cousins and nieces when they visit me last Saturday. We really had a blast on this game plus the nintendo land. My nieces were even screaming while playing. Looks like this coming holiday season will be a lot of fun!

I picked up a used copy off of Amazon Warehouse Deals last week for $32 shipped. The outer box was smashed to heck, but the controller was fine and the game is myself was still sealed and in mint condition. Played a little bit last night with my family and we had fun.

Crom

I really like Tabletop Baseball, Foosball, Guess my Face, and the game that you have 15 seconds to sketch in.

Will need to try the rest because I have been playing those 4 over and over.

A lot more to check out.

cube444

I played this game together with my cousins and nieces when they visit me last Saturday. We really had a blast on this game plus the nintendo land. My nieces were even screaming while playing. Looks like this coming holiday season will be a lot of fun!

Same here man. Great fun with my nieces. My oldest is 6 and she cracked off a 196 yard vault in Mii Vaulters. :lol

Crom

I would almost go as far to say it is the show piece of the WiiU. Bold statement, but it makes the game pad finally feel naturally added into the game play.

Funny because it seems to be slipping through the cracks. I thought I would hate it (kind of tired of party games after last gen) but gave it a chance because I saw a deal on in (Slickdeals)

Surprisingly fun and utilizes the gamepad well in things like "Name that Face" My wife and and parents love it (they are mainly nongamers even though my dad plays some stuff here and there)

Haines

Banned
Funny because it seems to be slipping through the cracks. I thought I would hate it (kind of tired of party games after last gen) but gave it a chance because I saw a deal on in (Slickdeals)

Surprisingly fun and utilizes the gamepad well in things like "Name that Face" My wife and and parents love it (they are mainly nongamers even though my dad plays some stuff here and there)

Yeah, the trailers always caught my attention and the more I play it, the more I absolutely feel that Nintendo has perfected what they are trying to achieve with the WiiU in this title.

I guess giving a free controller is the best way Nintendo could ever promote it, but most people already have 4 WM+ by now (except me, im slow lol).

I STRONGLY believe this is the game that could get people to undertsand what the WiiU is.

I just impulse bought this because I needed another Wii Remote Plus for an upcoming gathering and I figured I may as well get a new party game with it for $10 more.

Reviews are all over the place... some really good, some really bad. Hope I don't regret it. :p

Davey Cakes

I just impulse bought this because I needed another Wii Remote Plus for an upcoming gathering and I figured I may as well get a new party game with it for $10 more.

Reviews are all over the place... some really good, some really bad. Hope I don't regret it. :p
The game has decent variety. As long as you have 3-4 people playing at once who enjoy casual party games then you should be fine. The game shines in a social setting just like any other casual party game experience, and this is something that isn't always captured by reviews.

The game has decent variety. As long as you have 3-4 people playing at once who enjoy casual party games then you should be fine. The game shines in a social setting just like any other casual party game experience, and this is something that isn't always captured by reviews.

Yeah, we had a good time last night. Looking forward to breaking it in more at future gatherings. I think I and the fiancée are going to try a 2-player game tonight and see how that goes...

I just got it as well. Im happy with it. A lot of content, and variety. Theres multiple game modes that cater to one player. Im even having fun playing the cpu in tabletop tournaments. So, when you cant play with friends, it can still keep you entertained.

Theres also a tetris-like puzzle game that is well made, and can be addicting.

If you like these type of games, this one is one of the best, imo.

Also, itll be nice to have that gamepad stand for sports club golf.

Top Bottom