• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Party U |OT| Next gen knitting

Wait... so in the US you're paying $10 MORE than a WM+ on it's own, and in return you get a game, but here in the UK, I paid £5 LESS than a WM+ on it's own, and also gained a game.

That's kinda messed up (in my case, in a good way, lol).

bart64

Banned
Wait... so in the US you're paying $10 MORE than a WM+ on it's own, and in return you get a game, but here in the UK, I paid £5 LESS than a WM+ on it's own, and also gained a game.

That's kinda messed up (in my case, in a good way, lol).
Wow, your remotes are expensive, but it's a deal either way. You're actually paying $6 more, given today's exchange rate, so don't feel bad for us.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I've played every mini game, most of the game modes (the ones for single player), and I gotta say this is one damn fine pack in game. Definitely worth it's own weight, Would have definitely paid $40 or $30 for the game alone, it's quite entertaining, with it's multitude of game modes.

The gamepad horizontal stand is pretty dinky though, and I didn't have to use it on the count of playing by myself.

Triz

Really upset 4 players need 4 wiimote even when the games are all game pad for one player against 3. Really stupid design decision and sucks I only have three wii motes. Game is fun otherwise.

BowieZ

Banned
This went absolutely OFF at StreetPass Brisbane meetup today. Room of 70-80 people cracking up and cheering like mad.

Hella fun.

Roo

I thought i remember reading a comment that said only the first wave will include a wiimote.

I see.

Some of them look dull tbqh...
Not sure if I want it anymore.

It's not really a game you can enjoy by watching YouTube clips.
It's not really about the quality of the minigames
It's more about the atmosphere of the game. It feels like it lacks charisma

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It's not really a game you can enjoy by watching YouTube clips.

Not to mention, there's an assortment of unique modes that integrate the minigames. You're not just constantly playing mini games, there's some nice wrapping that pack these games in them.

The costume design board game is definitely my favorite way to play.

I ended up buying this yesterday on my way home from work. Oops. Got too excited when I saw it in HMV.

I've only played with two players so far and only in a few of the modes on offer but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has all the charm of the original and there haven't been any minigames I haven't enjoyed. There was one purely luck based game where you have to choose a bush to hide behind and hope you don't get found and pecked by an ostrich. I can imagine some players having issue with it not being anything more than a dice roll but the charm of it all and the helplessness of the players made it hilarious for me. It'll be great in the context of a longer game.

None of the games seemed like they took advantage of the extra features of Wii Remote Plus, and the game box mentions requirements of either a Wii Remote or Wii Remote Plus which I guess means you don't need Motion Plus to play. I've not tried without it yet though.

The minigames are just as simple as before. Usually just the dpad and a button or wildly waggling. I do agree with Eurogamer in that the Gamepad can feel neglected. The Gamepad Island mode was something I felt was shoehorned in as an acknowledgement that the device still existed. That said, I did really warm to that mode anyway, as awkward as it was to pass the device to other players for such short minigames. It all mostly revolves around dice rolls; on Gamepad Island they are all decided by gamepad minigames. Some of these are still luck based but others bring elements of skill into the mix so you can view your route and aim to roll a particular number. They also add the risk of rolling a 0, or negatives (though I didn't see one). The difficulty of the minigame dice rolls is increased for the player in first place because Nintendo hates winners.

One method of rolling is adjusting the trajectory of a cannon to land in front of boards with the roll number on there. Another requests that the player turns the gamepad screen away and, guided by the other players, tilts the screen to pour water out of a beaker, the final water level deciding the roll number. This allows the other players to be deliciously mischievous if they wish. There's another where you use the gamepad's gyro to look and aim at balloons with numbers painted on them before firing a blow dart by blowing into the mic. If the thought of blowing into the mic to do fire your weapon infuriates you then don't worry; you probably aren't the type of personality who would be playing Wii Party U with others anyway.

On Gamepad island progess is occasionally halted by gates which again request the player hold the gamepad away from them. This time a pattern is displayed on the TV (I saw a zig-zag, a circle and a spiral) and the player is tested with tracing this as best they can. Go out-with the pattern or run out of time and you're kicked back a few spaces. The pattern remains complete up to the point of your failure to make it easier for the next try.

Oh; we ended up playing a little two player versus puzzle game for far longer than expected. It's the usual case of pieces being dropped (all shaped as a five-block plus sign) and disappearing when four or more of the same colour touch. Matching a lot or getting combos drops solid grey garbage blocks onto your opponent's grid, requiring two adjacent matches to break. First player to clear all the pieces above the goal line wins (or the player who stacks too high loses). Matching pieces successfully also builds up a special block bar which, iirc, causes "star" blocks to fall. Matching three of these freezes your opponents game and demands that they grab the gamepad to complete a quick minigame before they can continue. They're all "Find the Key" games where you're asked to, for example, rub away the silver, lotto ticket style, to reveal the key, turn over cards, roll a die or bash repeatedly on a wall to bust through. Really, really simple stuff but the way they break the flow for players is pretty fun.

The tabletop games were pretty interesting too. I've been interested in the novelty of the TV-less gamepad games for two players ever since seeing that wee othello demo video. The football game is hectic, gripping the gamepad from opposite ends and using an analogue stick each to shunt an entire team of players in the same direction. Many own goals were scored. The Screwball Scramble-esque mode where players simultaneously race marbles through an obstacle course was controlled in a similar manner; the player manipulating the obstacles themselves to control the marble's momentum and guide it toward the goal. The last section of the first course asked that players tap the shoulder buttons to propel the ball. I felt the button was in a rather akwward position for this. I didn't test the face buttons/dpad to see if the work as an alternative, though.

Rambling a bit. I'm in work on a saturday morning and bored. I'm going to get a few more players and get a better go of the game later.

tl;dr: I'm a bit disappointed there aren't more asymmetrical multiplayer games with a little more depth, like those from Nintendoland. That kind of this really is a great strength of the system and it's a shame not to see further examples of it done right but Wii Party U is still excellent and will be an absolute winner for family gatherings. Unless my auntie Agnes is there. I simply do not get on with that vile woman.

I ended up buying this yesterday on my way home from work. Oops. Got too excited when I saw it in HMV.

I've only played with two players so far and only in a few of the modes on offer but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has all the charm of the original and there haven't been any minigames I haven't enjoyed. There was one purely luck based game where you have to choose a bush to hide behind and hope you don't get found and pecked by an ostrich. I can imagine some players having issue with it not being anything more than a dice roll but the charm of it all and the helplessness of the players made it hilarious for me. It'll be great in the context of a longer game.

None of the games seemed like they took advantage of the extra features of Wii Remote Plus, and the game box mentions requirements of either a Wii Remote or Wii Remote Plus which I guess means you don't need Motion Plus to play. I've not tried without it yet though.

The minigames are just as simple as before. Usually just the dpad and a button or wildly waggling. I do agree with Eurogamer in that the Gamepad can feel neglected. The Gamepad Island mode was something I felt was shoehorned in as an acknowledgement that the device still existed. That said, I did really warm to that mode anyway, as awkward as it was to pass the device to other players for such short minigames. It all mostly revolves around dice rolls; on Gamepad Island they are all decided by gamepad minigames. Some of these are still luck based but others bring elements of skill into the mix so you can view your route and aim to roll a particular number. They also add the risk of rolling a 0, or negatives (though I didn't see one). The difficulty of the minigame dice rolls is increased for the player in first place because Nintendo hates winners.

One method of rolling is adjusting the trajectory of a cannon to land in front of boards with the roll number on there. Another requests that the player turns the gamepad screen away and, guided by the other players, tilts the screen to pour water out of a beaker, the final water level deciding the roll number. This allows the other players to be deliciously mischievous if they wish. There's another where you use the gamepad's gyro to look and aim at balloons with numbers painted on them before firing a blow dart by blowing into the mic. If the thought of blowing into the mic to do fire your weapon infuriates you then don't worry; you probably aren't the type of personality who would be playing Wii Party U with others anyway.

On Gamepad island progess is occasionally halted by gates which again request the player hold the gamepad away from them. This time a pattern is displayed on the TV (I saw a zig-zag, a circle and a spiral) and the player is tested with tracing this as best they can. Go out-with the pattern or run out of time and you're kicked back a few spaces. The pattern remains complete up to the point of your failure to make it easier for the next try.

Oh; we ended up playing a little two player versus puzzle game for far longer than expected. It's the usual case of pieces being dropped (all shaped as a five-block plus sign) and disappearing when four or more of the same colour touch. Matching a lot or getting combos drops solid grey garbage blocks onto your opponent's grid, requiring two adjacent matches to break. First player to clear all the pieces above the goal line wins (or the player who stacks too high loses). Matching pieces successfully also builds up a special block bar which, iirc, causes "star" blocks to fall. Matching three of these freezes your opponents game and demands that they grab the gamepad to complete a quick minigame before they can continue. They're all "Find the Key" games where you're asked to, for example, rub away the silver, lotto ticket style, to reveal the key, turn over cards, roll a die or bash repeatedly on a wall to bust through. Really, really simple stuff but the way they break the flow for players is pretty fun.

The tabletop games were pretty interesting too. I've been interested in the novelty of the TV-less gamepad games for two players ever since seeing that wee othello demo video. The football game is hectic, gripping the gamepad from opposite ends and using an analogue stick each to shunt an entire team of players in the same direction. Many own goals were scored. The Screwball Scramble-esque mode where players simultaneously race marbles through an obstacle course was controlled in a similar manner; the player manipulating the obstacles themselves to control the marble's momentum and guide it toward the goal. The last section of the first course asked that players tap the shoulder buttons to propel the ball. I felt the button was in a rather akwward position for this. I didn't test the face buttons/dpad to see if the work as an alternative, though.

Rambling a bit. I'm in work on a saturday morning and bored. I'm going to get a few more players and get a better go of the game later.

tl;dr: I'm a bit disappointed there aren't more asymmetrical multiplayer games with a little more depth, like those from Nintendoland. That kind of this really is a great strength of the system and it's a shame not to see further examples of it done right but Wii Party U is still excellent and will be an absolute winner for family gatherings. Unless my auntie Agnes is there. I simply do not get on with that vile woman.

there seems to be quite a lot of them..

Game has a pretty fun Columns variant. I kind of like it. Haven't played all the games nor played them under party conditions but it's pretty much what you'd expect so far. No brainer at that price if you need a remote.

I have a feeling I know the answer to this question, but do the Wii U Pro Controllers work for this game or do you have to use Wii Remotes + Gamepad?

bart64

Banned
Played this with a non gamer last night and had mixed results. She was perplexed by some of the games, loved some of the simpler ones, but got tired waiting for the CPU to take turns. There are so many modes here, but I'm afraid that all the highest heights are still with a full 4 players, especially when playing with less experienced gamers. Well, maybe with the exception of the face to face games, which justify the game on their own.

I can't wait to play more and try everything out. I'm a total sucker for quirky, quick game ideas, but also I want to see which modes will work best for my group of friends. This seems like the type of game where one person will have to learn all the games and play a more active role as a host and moderator. There is an overwhelming mix of options and even though there is a decent auto select option, it doesn't consider experience and attention span.

It's still pretty much a board game, so if your friends can't be bothered with a turn-based luck-heavy and sometimes instruction-heavy game, then no amount of crazy mini games will help. For those of us familiar with Mario party type magic there is a bunch of new and intelligent stuff sprinkled everywhere. Some new gamepad ideas, more physics based stuff, streamlined and snappier menus and animations, games that weren't possible without HD detail, and most revolutionary of all, the ability for one player to assign the mii of another, less wiimote coordinated player!

Again, it's practically free with the pack in. You'll get every penny's worth and a bunch of free laughs on the side. Guaranteed.

Frodo

Just ordered this game from Amazon for my next Wii U Party, crying because I can't get it digitally. But at the same time happy because of the extra Remote and Gamepad Stand.

Davey Cakes

Best tabletop game thus far is the baseball one, followed by the obstacle course one.

I enjoy how you can rate the mini games. Just a great feature where there's feedback from the game-playing community. I like seeing what everyone thinks of certain games.

Heading to a friends place on Tuesday to banner this. Loved the first one, and am looking forward to see how they've improved horse racing. How I love that minigame.

mstevens

I really wish it was available without the wiimote packed in. I already have four and don't want to go through the hassle of selling the new one.

Begbie

I ended up picking this up yesterday and after having an extended 5 to 6 hour session with this game I can say I am pleasantly surprised. With the exception of the tabletop games which are only 2 players the remainder of the games I tried were played with 4 players varying from kids (5 and 10) to adults (from their 20s to 30s).

First I tried the tabletop games which were a lot of fun, baseball, foosball, mii-in-a-row which were all quite charming. Baseball and Foosball are handled with each player the opposite analog stick and mii-in-a-row is a cross between connect 4 and tic tac toe with a bit of strategy thrown in. The younger kids seemed to like these the most but I still had fun with them too.. also the included stand works as designed.

As for the board games we tried Gamepad Island (lasts about an hour) and Balldozer (approx 30 mins). Gamepad Island is a standard board where the first player to the finish wins, however there are unique ways to roll keeping it fresh. There is a bit of randomness included similar to Mario Party's Chance Time that will keep the game a bit tighter if one player is lagging on the board. Also it is harder to get a good roll the farther you are ahead on the board (as the skill level changes depending on your placement on the map). If you don't want to use the board there is a mini game mode where all players compete directly and the player in 1st at the end of each round proceeds to the next tier, with there being about five tiers this mode will last about half an hour.

I haven't tried many of the House Party modes so I can't say much on those yet. There weren't too many stinkers as far as the mini games go, most did have some level of skill. Overall I'd recommend picking this up if you are on the fence and you are in the need of an additional Wii Plus remote and you have four players (willing to have a good time).

Best tabletop game thus far is the baseball one, followed by the obstacle course one.

I enjoy how you can rate the mini games. Just a great feature where there's feedback from the game-playing community. I like seeing what everyone thinks of certain games.

Personally i love the burger assembly one and mii in a row. Also the memory game is great too (throws in a minigame after a few turns, if you win you will see the remaining cards, if you loose you will have to continue without seeing the cards again.)

Zing

Banned
I really wish it was available without the wiimote packed in. I already have four and don't want to go through the hassle of selling the new one.
They eventually released game-only for the first game, I'm sure they will with this one. Eshop will follow as well.

I don't really care for the black remotes. I especially dislike the black jacket. Why did they do this for the black and not the other colours? They could have made a blue and pink jacket.

Exile20

I ended up picking this up yesterday and after having an extended 5 to 6 hour session with this game I can say I am pleasantly surprised. With the exception of the tabletop games which are only 2 players the remainder of the games I tried were played with 4 players varying from kids (5 and 10) to adults (from their 20s to 30s).

First I tried the tabletop games which were a lot of fun, baseball, foosball, mii-in-a-row which were all quite charming. Baseball and Foosball are handled with each player the opposite analog stick and mii-in-a-row is a cross between connect 4 and tic tac toe with a bit of strategy thrown in. The younger kids seemed to like these the most but I still had fun with them too.. also the included stand works as designed.

As for the board games we tried Gamepad Island (lasts about an hour) and Balldozer (approx 30 mins). Gamepad Island is a standard board where the first player to the finish wins, however there are unique ways to roll keeping it fresh. There is a bit of randomness included similar to Mario Party's Chance Time that will keep the game a bit tighter if one player is lagging on the board. Also it is harder to get a good roll the farther you are ahead on the board (as the skill level changes depending on your placement on the map). If you don't want to use the board there is a mini game mode where all players compete directly and the player in 1st at the end of each round proceeds to the next tier, with there being about five tiers this mode will last about half an hour.

I haven't tried many of the House Party modes so I can't say much on those yet. There weren't too many stinkers as far as the mini games go, most did have some level of skill. Overall I'd recommend picking this up if you are on the fence and you are in the need of an additional Wii Plus remote and you have four players (willing to have a good time).

Thanks for telling us your experience. I am really looking forward to it.

Jaruru

They eventually released game-only for the first game, I'm sure they will with this one. Eshop will follow as well.

I don't really care for the black remotes. I especially dislike the black jacket. Why did they do this for the black and not the other colours? They could have made a blue and pink jacket.

They're launching the Mario/Luigi red/green wiimotes with matching color jacket :D

black one looks fine imo

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Played with the right persons, this llittle game is a gem. Mini games are short but there at least 30 that are really, really good. If Game & Wario was a C, this one is a A, it's even better than Nintendo Land AFAIC.

kunonabi

got some play in last night. very pleased with it. i think nintendoland is the better multiplayer game as far as depth and coop goes but wii party is much more accessible and has the largest amount of options to play with. the single player isn't as good as Game & Wario or Nintendoland but I'm not going to hold that against it. I think all three games are worth having due to their strengths and weaknesses. Nintendoland is great for coop and and more skill based multiplayer sessions, Wii party u is perfect for a longer game night with more casual gamers, and Game & Wario works well if you don't plan on jumping around from game to game and want something easy to understand quickly but still get a load of laughs from.

Top Bottom