• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Roo

How would you even know, though?

Based on facts?

-MK8 has 17 confirmed characters.. all of them with unique animations. (probably around 25-30 by the time of release) compared to 5 from 3D World.
- Full 3D enviroments as opposed to stages with fixed cameras/angles to save memory and space.
-From what we know or have seen, MK8 runs on more complex engine than 3D World. Lighting seems to be its strongest feature.
- Kart customization (every tire, kart, bike, glider and all that stuff needs to be balanced to work with each other while making them look good aka no glitches, clipping, etc.

And that's only from a graphical standpoint.

- Online multiplayer
- Multiple modes
- Extense use of Miiverse with an unique feature: MK TV (the first of it's class for Wii U)

Don't get me wrong, I love 3D World, it's one of my favorite games but right now MK8 seems to be a bigger project.

D-e-f-

Banned
Based on facts?

-MK8 has 17 confirmed characters.. all of them with unique animations. (probably around 25-30 by the time of release) compared to 5 from 3D World.
- Full 3D enviroments as opposed to stages with fixed cameras/angles to save memory and space.
-From what we know or have seen, MK8 runs on more complex engine than 3D World. Lighting seems to be its strongest feature.
- Kart customization (every tire, kart, bike, glider and all that stuff needs to be balanced to work with each other while making them look good aka no glitches, clipping, etc.

And that's only from a graphical standpoint.

- Online multiplayer
- Multiple modes
- Extense use of Miiverse with an unique feature: MK TV (the first of it's class for Wii U)

Don't get me wrong, I love 3D World, it's one of my favorite games but right now MK8 seems to be a bigger project.

But you're ignoring all the enemy characters, special suits, all the dozens of levels, world map and the fact that the camera rotation doesn't impact the levels they have to design. They still have to build the full level, no matter if you can look in every direction or not.

Mario Kart has a very limited set of courses and characters unless you factor in background characters.

I really wouldn't say it's that much of a difference without knowing how MKTV will turn out.

Nilaul

But you're ignoring all the enemy characters, special suits, all the dozens of levels, world map and the fact that the camera rotation doesn't impact the levels they have to design. They still have to build the full level, no matter if you can look in every direction or not.

Mario Kart has a very limited set of courses and characters unless you factor in background characters.

I really wouldn't say it's that much of a difference without knowing how MKTV will turn out.

And atleast the crowd in Mario kart 8 will look less out of place then the crowd in Forza 5

ozfunghi

Ok nice once this update is done that is how I will play it

it was at 50 mins but I forgot I had a game downloading on steam lol, then it dropped to 8 mins

Yup, i played it mote+nunchuck and the gamepad on my lap for the overview and managing your other captains. As soon as you touch the touchscreen, the game pauzes and you can traverse the level from birdseye view and send a captain to a certain location. As soon as you touch the wiimote again, the game unpauzes and you can switch characters while your former character moves to the location you'd picked.

For me, best WiiU game, especially after trying mission mode.

jmizzal

Yup, i played it mote+nunchuck and the gamepad on my lap for the overview and managing your other captains. As soon as you touch the touchscreen, the game pauzes and you can traverse the level from birdseye view and send a captain to a certain location. As soon as you touch the wiimote again, the game unpauzes and you can switch characters while your former character moves to the location you'd picked.

For me, best WiiU game, especially after trying mission mode.

Yea i'm loving the Wiimote gamepad set up, I can add this to one of the Wiiu games that takes advantage of the gamepad in a meaningful way.

I just pre-ordered Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. I haven't played a DKC since Diddy's Kong Quest on SNES.

I am actually really looking forward to it. I've purposely avoided looking at much about the game so that the experience is full of surprises when I finally sit down to play it.

If there are outrageous and zany animals to ride, the pre-order was more than worth it!

Birathen

Has How to survive gotten any date yet for Yurop?

More importantly and a bit off topic, would paying full newgame price for The last story be worth it? (I have been stocking up on Wii must haves since I missed that train of crazy.)

Mlatador

Banned
I just pre-ordered Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. I haven't played a DKC since Diddy's Kong Quest on SNES.

I am actually really looking forward to it. I've purposely avoided looking at much about the game so that the experience is full of surprises when I finally sit down to play it.

If there are outrageous and zany animals to ride, the pre-order was more than worth it!

Very good decision! :) Since there's roughly one month left, you might even want to take a look at DKC:Returns, which is fantastic. Tropical Freeze still has to live up to that, even though I have zero doubt it won't.

Very good decision! :) Since there's roughly one month left, you might even want to take a look at DKC:Returns, which is fantastic. Tropical Freeze still has to live up to that, even though I have zero doubt it won't.

I've heard great things about Returns and would love to play through it, but it won't happen in the next month due to a couple games in the backlog that need to be finished.

However, if I enjoy Tropical Freeze as much as I hope I do, I'll be heading to the store to grab Returns as soon as I can!

D-e-f-

Banned
More importantly and a bit off topic, would paying full newgame price for The last story be worth it? (I have been stocking up on Wii must haves since I missed that train of crazy.)

Yes. Absolutely one of the best RPGs of the last generation next to Xenoblade and also one of the best Wii games. Game is absolutely worth it.

Riki

I'm hoping that uploading replays becomes a normal thing for Nintendo's games on WiiU.
Love to see it expanded in to stuff like Bayonetta 2.

maxcriden

Nah, it took me more than one and a half hour to complete the first world. Without getting KONG in every level, or getting all the puzzle pieces in every level. Died a lot too.

In TF? That's great! BTW, I should clarify my post. I certainly don't think TF will be short, or easy. I was just referencing an erroneous thread that came out prior to 3DW, with a similar title:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711763

Would you guys rather see Zelda U revealed in a Direct or on the E3 stage?.

I'd rather see concept art in the direct with some explanation and a full revealing at E3. Smash Bros reveal would've been even better with an audience.

Riki

I'd rather see concept art in the direct with some explanation and a full revealing at E3. Smash Bros reveal would've been even better with an audience.

Eh, I like the audience reaction and all, but I honestly don't care. A stream is a stream either way and that's the only way I'll be able to see it.

maxcriden

Are they confirmed to be doing an E3 stage presentation this year? I assumed we'd be getting an E3 direct like last year, with Zelda in it.

Mlatador

Banned

No, no, absolutely NOTHING prior to an E3 reveal. Then, *BAM!*, in your face!

To me, it doesn't really matter. I'm going to be seeing it via stream either way. Has Nintendo even hinted that they would be having an E3 presentation this year?

jmizzal

It doesnt matter to me, I just wanna see the new Zelda game in full HD

I'm sure they will do a normal conference this year.
Zelda U deserve a big event (if they don't reveal ot before).

Yeah, about 90% sure they will do a regular stageshow because of the shittiness of the stream and more importantly like you said, it will be the first time we see the Wii U Zelda.

Zelda just screams for a big blockbuster reveal.

The other games, maybe not as much.

Is it already confirmed Zelda U will be shown at E3 or before that?

I think they have to show at least a little bit of it at this next E3, who knows if the Wii U will even make it to E3 2015. Bleak, but it's about the outlook the console has at the moment. They have to show off the big guns at E3 (as they have had to the past few, and occasionally failed at doing), and I have faith that we see the real Zelda U after it was teased last year already.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I really hope Tropical Freeze is stupid difficult. People went on and on about how tough DKCR was, but I found the difficulty to be perfect. In any case, I'm not concerned about that game being satisfying for platformer junkies.

maxcriden

I really hope Tropical Freeze is stupid difficult. People went on and on about how tough DKCR was, but I found the difficulty to be perfect. In any case, I'm not concerned about that game being satisfying for platformer junkies.

DKCR spoilers:
I found the post-game to be pretty tough. Did you 200% the game with beating Mirror Mode?

Not yet. Wait for the 30th. We will likely get more concrete info on both.

Next Nintendo Direct will be some earth shattering shit... For a number of reasons.

I hope.

That's the hope indeed. We may even get a Direct this week.

Riki

I don't know about this week. Or even if we really will get a Direct. We certainly should.
How Nintendo handles things right now is going to be weirder than usual.

maxcriden

I don't know about this week. Or even if we really will get a Direct. We certainly should.
How Nintendo handles things right now is going to be weirder than usual.

That's true. I do wonder just how quickly than can change course significantly, although I think there's some merit to the idea that they've had some future significant changes in the works for a while, though. Although, any sea change for the company I would not expect to come in the form of a Direct.

Riki

Well, everything they say is true... except for the big budget part.
That RPG is by a very, very, very small studio and would likely be an eShop game.
I mean, it could be interesting, either way. But the fact that they made job postings on Deviantart, is pretty telling. It may be big budget for an indie game, but it's no X.

But an announcement in the next couple weeks would coincide with a number of other indie studios that are working for Nintendo are revealing their games as well.
So yeah, I'd say a rather large Direct is coming.

udivision

Next Nintendo Direct will be some earth shattering shit... For a number of reasons.

I hope.

Nintendo could do well to just give dates for their games.

I mean, it could be interesting, either way. But the fact that they made job postings on Deviantart, is pretty telling. It may be big budget for an indie game, but it's no X.

I have a feeling X's budget will be pretty insubstantial too...

Effect

The next Nintendo direct will indeed be interesting and will be the first chance they get to present any new changes that will be taking place to fans be it before or after the financial meeting. Not inner workings but products themselves,l how they plan to sell them, etc. I'm going to be watching closely to see what is said as it's going to be the turning point for me in regard to how I precede when it comes to my game buying. Do I stick it out with Nintendo and not give up completely on the Wii U? Or do I start making serious plans to update my PC or start preparing to pick up a PS4/XBO after a few more games get release dates. The second stops money from being spent on the Wii U and maybe even the 3DS to a degree for sometime. I'm not going to allocate any of my budget if it doesn't seem like changes are being made. If I pick up either of the new systems then I'm going to want to focus completely on those for sometime and that means no money spent in Nintendo 's direction.

I need dates for a number of games from Nintendo. I need an actual name for X. I need to know there is something for me (that interest me and not a platformer) to buy in the retail space that is not named Donkey Kong over the next several months.

Top Bottom