• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Words cannot describe how disappointed I would be if the big Wii U holiday release in 2014 was Animal Crossing.

I don't expect Animal Crossing to be the big holiday release for Wii U, but I definitely expect to see it.

Smash Bros. or Zelda are more likely to be the big holiday release this year.

Mr. RPG

Wii U still needs more for me to buy one.

Smash Bros. and a Zelda would be enough.. but still.

I really want to get a Wii U but none of the current games interest me (save for Wind Waker HD) but that simply is not enough for me to get a Wii U.

Needs an RPG. I think there's X, but I like turn-based RPGs much more.

Dragon Quest XI on Wii U.. I'd buy a Wii U immediately for that.

There's no way Nintendo fucks up by making Animal Crossing it's big holiday release on consoles again.. At least I hope not. It has a high chance of coming out around then though, considering the Wii U AC Plaza app that was released and the fact that it expires at the end of 2014.

I really want to get a Wii U but none of the current games interest me (save for Wind Waker HD) but that simply is not enough for me to get a Wii U.

FE x SMT could be up your alley as well, assuming it's a 2014 release of course.

Maybe Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei?

Edit: Late response.

Mlatador

Banned
Well, someone on my Twitter (thanks Il Guida) did a little bit of searching on the site=

RXYueWF.png

- Certain parts of the site are closed: http://hanakai-studio.com/?page_id=17

- I searched for Jean Bey and came across his LinkedIn Profile

• Founder. CEO and Creative Director.
  • Hanakaï Studio
  • 2012 – Poste actuel (2 ans) Région de Paris , France

Working on an unannounced AAA project.

http://fr.linkedin.com/pub/jean-bey/18/819/65a (looks like he was a boardgame designer)

Other name mentioned is Franck de Visme
Also, there are mentions of Project Dark Witch and Project Guardians

Maybe someone can dig up some more. :)

Good job, guys! :)

I'm gonna say it right now, even without knowing Nintendo's true heavy hitter for Holiday 2014. That Wii U software sales WILL outsell the competition this year by a fair margin. Just relying on Smash Bros. and Mario Kart could push them to parity in sales, but considering DKCR's sales on the Wii, I expect Tropical Freeze to sell like hotcakes at launch and continue to sell at a steady pace throughout the year, granted it's a well received game (might even beat DKC2, here's hoping).

And not to mention whatever Nintendo has in store for Holiday 2014. A smart move would be to release Mario Kart at the beginning of Fall, and drop something like a total fucking surprise in Super Mario Galaxy 3 along with a new 2D hand drawn Metroid game that really wows people with innovative uses of the Tablet. Metroid Dread finally shows up, Sakamoto redeemed! Along with another exclusive from Platinum Games for the "mature" audiences in a new IP. I think if they could drop three rock solid games like that at Holiday with maybe a price cut and steady advances in the Wii U OS/features and marketing, they take away anything MS or Sony can put out, just on pure sales.

None of this is going to happen.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm gonna say it right now, even without knowing Nintendo's true heavy hitter for Holiday 2014. That Wii U software sales WILL outsell the competition this year by a fair margin. Just relying on Smash Bros. and Mario Kart could push them to parity in sales, but considering DKCR's sales on the Wii, I expect Tropical Freeze to sell like hotcakes at launch and continue to sell at a steady pace throughout the year, granted it's a well received game (might even beat DKC2, here's hoping).

And not to mention whatever Nintendo has in store for Holiday 2014. A smart move would be to release Mario Kart at the beginning of Fall, and drop something like a total fucking surprise in Super Mario Galaxy 3 along with a new 2D hand drawn Metroid game that really wows people with innovative uses of the Tablet. Metroid Dread finally shows up, Sakamoto redeemed! Along with another exclusive from Platinum Games for the "mature" audiences in a new IP. I think if they could drop three rock solid games like that at Holiday with maybe a price cut and steady advances in the Wii U OS/features and marketing, they take away anything MS or Sony can put out, just on pure sales.

If I lose this bet (that Nintendo rakes in more software sales this year than Sony/MS), I'll gift out 100 Steam games in a giveaway here, good ones.

Wacky Speculation Mode: Crazy news that could make Nintendo a ton of more cash is:

1: Nintendo buys the rights to both Sonic and Mega Man. And put out the very first Nintendo produced Sonic game, and Mega Man game. Becoming the best Sonic ever made, obviously.

2: Nintendo moneyhats Miyazaki to signup at Nintendo and leave FromSoftware (GAF and the net would go fucking berserk!), where they set him up under a new EAD branch and make him Creative Director with full creative control over his first project. Then hand him Zelda or a new 3D Metroid or New IP, tell him to go crazy with a budget and time he never got to work to it's fullest potential at FromSoft.

3: Shinji Mikami takes on the development of a Captain Falcon beat em' up, God Hand-esque. And develops the game around pure speed and skill-based combat.

4: Nintendo gets their act together involving friends on the Wii U and expands it further than anyone ever has in any closed system. Incorporating video chat as well as everything else already out there.

What do you mean by "more software sales than MS/Sony"? As in, total units sold on Wii U versus PS4/XBone?
Or total software sold by Nintendo's "family" (Wii/U/3/DS) versus MS/Sony families (XBone/360;PS3/4/P/Vita)?
Or Ninendo published software versus Microsoft published software + Sony published software? Or... well, you got some 'xplaining to do ;)
Anyway, bookmarked.
I'd like to try the YS games. But if Halo 3 has it Steam by then, that one please.

I find it cute and a positive thing that you're so optimistic, but all of that you've posted... well, those are just pipe dreams mate

onilink88

So, I just noticed something looking the X-trailer again.

We've currently seen three regions:
- And this area in the sky? With those flying whale enemies http://abload.de/img/skyfisht4jjd.gif

I think that's near a volcano or at least somewhere with magmatic activity. Lookee:

Look at the bottom right, you'll see lava.
Note: I'm sure you've noticed those flying, coiled machines. Is someone digging for something there?

We can find the... "lava bear" and horse/some manner of quadruped there, too :

Notes: We see the machines mentioned above appear here, too. Also, notice that the surrounding structures in that scene are very damaged.

It's also where the titanic, fuck-your-shit-up robot appears:
Notes: If you take a look on the back of the Doll, you'll notice the dual cannons we saw mounted on the mass production Doll that was in the first teaser. We don't see the bastard blade, though.

Furthermore, the desert and the grass area seem to be connected by a natural bridge at #2.

By "natural bridge", are you referring to this (between the woman and amphicoelias)?

I don't think that's natural, man. :p

But yeah, all this stuff aside, X is going to be stupidly huge. Apparently Xenoblade was just a fraction of the game Takahashi wanted to make.

Anyways, going back that mech/alien post I made, I think I might know what it is:

This, for reference:

That's definitely some kind of robot. We see it right from the get-go in the first teaser:

To the right of the screen. It just sits there, seemingly inoperative:

We see it here again (also inoperative):

I think it might be some kind of reconnaissance bot or something.

Now, here's something new to raise questions about:

What is that? It's not part of the desert, and it's hard to tell if it's jotting out of, floating above, or in the ocean. S' weird-looking, that's for sure.

Roo

What a sad life one must have to hate such a trivial thing as games
Hating on games is so lame

Anticitizen One
(Today, 01:00 AM)

Oh.... nevermind.

Acheteedo

Hmm, was just thinking about picking up a WiiU, largely for 3D World, but there's next to nothing I want from that 2014 list, aside from Zelda which probably isn't 2014. Need some big announcements at E3.

D-e-f-

Banned
Words cannot describe how disappointed I would be if the big Wii U holiday release in 2014 was Animal Crossing.

You know, even though we also have Kart and Smash in the same year, it won't be as bad as 2008 because this time, there's no Wii Music to top it all off but instead a new fantastic DKC game and X. We didn't have that in 2008 so things were extra extra dire that year.

Anyways, going back that mech/alien post I made, I think I might know what it is:

This, for reference:

That's definitely some kind of robot. We see it right from the get-go in the first teaser:

To the right of the screen. It just sits there, seemingly inoperative:

We see it here again (also inoperative):

I think it might be some kind of reconnaissance bot or something.

Now, here's something new to raise questions about:

What is that? It's not part of the desert, and it's hard to tell if it's jotting out of, floating above, or in the ocean. S' weird-looking, that's for sure.

Theory: What if all this debris is plot/setup related in a big way? Why is there so much "crap" that looks like it fell from the sky? Maybe it did? Big ship/construction thingys like in your last pic or those tiny drone things on the other pics. Maybe you have to venture out there and recover them, fix them, salvage them once they crash. Maybe they're related to the countdown thing in the city?

We can find the... "lava bear" and horse/some manner of quadruped there, too :

lavabearvoige.png

I think that's near a volcano or at least somewhere with magmatic activity. Lookee:

I'm really looking forward to X to begin with, but I must say, your enthusiasm is outright contagious. Posts like this get me even more excited. Thanks for this!

I don't care for SMT very much to be honest, but Fire Emblem is something I love so maybe. I was excited when it was announced, so maybe.

Actually what you want seems to be pretty niche nowadays. Given how FE Awakening was loved by Critics and gamers there is a high chance FE x SMT will be great.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I would say that next Thursday is more probable.
Next Thursday as in the 23rd of January, or do you mean Thursday next week (which isn't next Thursday)?

The Corporate Management Policy Briefing is on the 30th of January, probably not too wise to have a Nintendo Direct broadcast on that day. Regardless, if there is a Nintendo Direct scheduled for this week, we are bound to know of it shortly.

freakzilla3000

Does anyone else feel a Nintendo Direct incoming? I would imagine that they would like to do some "damage control" given their current situation.... I know last year we got a BIG Nintendo Direct and the investor meeting is next week isn't it?

Does anyone else feel a Nintendo Direct incoming? I would imagine that they would like to do some "damage control" given their current situation.... I know last year we got a BIG Nintendo Direct and the investor meeting is next week isn't it?
Apparently if a Nintendo Direct happens this week it should be announced tomorrow.

freakzilla3000

*Sorry didn't read the posts before this one regarding a possible Nintendo Direct*

Yeah this week makes the most sense for a new direct but I would imagine it would be a BIG one..... Like maybe another price drop for Wii U and a TON of new trailers. I would imagine that Nintendo will announce some release dates (Mario Kart 8).

D-e-f-

Banned
Apparently if a Nintendo Direct happens this week it should be announced tomorrow.

No, if a Nintendo Direct happens on Wednesday it will be announced tomorrow (exactly 24h prior) and if it happens on Thursday we'll known on Wednesday.

I should really make a When's the Next Nintendo Direct FAQ infographic sometime...

*Sorry didn't read the posts before this one regarding a possible Nintendo Direct*

Yeah this week makes the most sense for a new direct but I would imagine it would be a BIG one..... Like maybe another price drop for Wii U and a TON of new trailers. I would imagine that Nintendo will announce some release dates (Mario Kart 8).

There won't be another Wii U price drop right now. Not when sales have picked up.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Rösti;97792931 said:
Next Thursday as in the 23rd of January, or do you mean Thursday next week (which isn't next Thursday)?

The Corporate Management Policy Briefing is on the 30th of January, probably not too wise to have a Nintendo Direct broadcast on that day. Regardless, if there is a Nintendo Direct scheduled for this week, we are bound to know of it shortly.

I was thinking about Thursday next week, as I had the impression that the Corporate Management Policy Briefing is on 31st of January. In this case I bet on Wednesday next week.

freakzilla3000

Sales have picked up because of the Holiday season.... What stinks is that they seem to be coming back down dramatically and with all the bad press Nintendo recently has received, I think that a price drop could be plausible....

I just think that they really need to focus on MARKETING the damn system as the Wii U is extremely fun to play and has a number of great games on the market now...

Son Of D

Honestly, I feel that another price drop will be coming soon. With Mario Kart 8 on the horizon I think that Nintendo will want to lower the price (or do a very nicely priced bundle) to maximise sales as much as possible.

Some Nobody

Price drop already happened. What needs to happen now is software support and advertising.

Edit: Why February and not this/next week?

maxcriden

Wii U question of the day:

What long-dormant Nintendo franchise would you bring back on the Wii U, and how would it make original use of the Gamepad?

Top Bottom