• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
DKCR spoilers:
I found the post-game to be pretty tough. Did you 200% the game with beating Mirror Mode?

I didn't go that far with it... Maybe I should, someday. But for whatever reason, I intend to go all out with TF. Maybe the absence of waggle gives me more enthusiasm.

maxcriden

I didn't go that far with it... Maybe I should, someday. But for whatever reason, I intend to go all out with TF. Maybe the absence of waggle gives me more enthusiasm.

Oh, you totally should! The biggest challenge in DKCR lies in the post-game. I didn't care for the shake-to-roll mechanics at all, but I loved the 3DS version. I'd strongly recommend it if you have a 3DS. It has additional content over the Wii version, as well. (I'm psyched to play TF without any motion controls, too! It worked great with the Gamepad when I got to play a bit of last month.)

onilink88

I have a feeling X's budget will be pretty insubstantial too...

And what makes you say that? If it really is an HD Xenoblade, with the same amount of content, scale (or bigger), voice acting, tracks in its OST, and so forth, then it could easily be among the most expensive games Nintendo have ever funded. If you would have to sell 700k copies of a Fire Emblem entry on the Wii U - and this is a series and genre that deals in budgetary conservatism - to reach a financial break-even point on raw development costs, imagine what that number would be for a game like X. There's no possible way this is a cheap game to make.

Or am I missing something here?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Oh, you totally should! The biggest challenge in DKCR lies in the post-game. I didn't care for the shake-to-roll mechanics at all, but I loved the 3DS version. I'd strongly recommend it if you have a 3DS. It has additional content over the Wii version, as well. (I'm psyched to play TF without any motion controls, too! It worked great with the Gamepad when I got to play a bit of last month.)

Nah, sorry but when you've played it on Wii the 3DS version plays so much worse that unless you don't have a Wii there's no reason to choose the latter's. Not only it's 30fps but the slowdowns and laggy controls really hit it at certain points, losing all the smoothness and responsiveness of the Wii's original, which is super important especially for a challenging platformer. I own both by the way, of course the 3DS port is still a fantastic game and it looks sublime in 3D and the added content is pretty cool even if not substantial, "easy mode" is a welcoming addition for less inexperienced players (and because the framerate, slowdowns and lag make certain parts of the game much more difficult than they originally were). Furthermore, if your Wii/WiiU is soft modded, you can easily play the game with the Classic Controller sans waggle-roll :)

Again, I enjoyed it on 3DS and it's still one of the best platformers *ever*, but if you gotta choose only one then there's no contest, Wii version is a superior experience.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I'm gonna say it right now, even without knowing Nintendo's true heavy hitter for Holiday 2014. That Wii U software sales WILL outsell the competition this year by a fair margin. Just relying on Smash Bros. and Mario Kart could push them to parity in sales, but considering DKCR's sales on the Wii, I expect Tropical Freeze to sell like hotcakes at launch and continue to sell at a steady pace throughout the year, granted it's a well received game (might even beat DKC2, here's hoping).

And not to mention whatever Nintendo has in store for Holiday 2014. A smart move would be to release Mario Kart at the beginning of Fall, and drop something like a total fucking surprise in Super Mario Galaxy 3 along with a new 2D hand drawn Metroid game that really wows people with innovative uses of the Tablet. Metroid Dread finally shows up, Sakamoto redeemed! Along with another exclusive from Platinum Games for the "mature" audiences in a new IP. I think if they could drop three rock solid games like that at Holiday with maybe a price cut and steady advances in the Wii U OS/features and marketing, they take away anything MS or Sony can put out, just on pure sales.

If I lose this bet (that Nintendo rakes in more software sales this year than Sony/MS), I'll gift out 100 Steam games in a giveaway here, good ones.

Wacky Speculation Mode: Crazy news that could make Nintendo a ton of more cash is:

1: Nintendo buys the rights to both Sonic and Mega Man. And put out the very first Nintendo produced Sonic game, and Mega Man game. Becoming the best Sonic ever made, obviously.

2: Nintendo moneyhats Miyazaki to signup at Nintendo and leave FromSoftware (GAF and the net would go fucking berserk!), where they set him up under a new EAD branch and make him Creative Director with full creative control over his first project. Then hand him Zelda or a new 3D Metroid or New IP, tell him to go crazy with a budget and time he never got to work to it's fullest potential at FromSoft.

3: Shinji Mikami takes on the development of a Captain Falcon beat em' up, God Hand-esque. And develops the game around pure speed and skill-based combat.

4: Nintendo gets their act together involving friends on the Wii U and expands it further than anyone ever has in any closed system. Incorporating video chat as well as everything else already out there.

Hiltz

I'm gonna say it right now, even without knowing Nintendo's true heavy hitter for Holiday 2014. That Wii U software sales WILL outsell the competition this year by a fair margin. Just relying on Smash Bros. and Mario Kart could push them to parity in sales, but considering DKCR's sales on the Wii, I expect Tropical Freeze to sell like hotcakes at launch and continue to sell at a steady pace throughout the year, granted it's a well received game (might even beat DKC2, here's hoping).

And not to mention whatever Nintendo has in store for Holiday 2014. A smart move would be to release Mario Kart at the beginning of Fall, and drop something like a total fucking surprise in Super Mario Galaxy 3 along with a new 2D hand drawn Metroid game that really wows people with innovative uses of the Tablet. Metroid Dread finally shows up, Sakamoto redeemed! Along with another exclusive from Platinum Games for the "mature" audiences in a new IP. I think if they could drop three rock solid games like that at Holiday with maybe a price cut and steady advances in the Wii U OS/features and marketing, they take away anything MS or Sony can put out, just on pure sales.

I'm skeptical about DKC: Tropical Freeze's sales. I mean, it's coming out on a significantly, significantly smaller install base compared to DKC: Returns on Wii. Wii U's global install base is still under 5 million, whereas Wii's install base was over 83 million by the end of 2010. DKC: Returns had the benefit of its hyped series return after 14 years of being dormant franchise. In addition, it came out during the holiday season. When DKC: Tropical Freeze was announced, it's E3 response was fairly underwhelming for reasons most of us are familiar with. The quality of the game isn't in question at all, it's just that there's been several platformers on Wii U so far that have not been much of system-seller material, including Super Mario 3D World. Like 3D World, North America and Japan do like Donkey Kong Country, but with the general lack of consumer interest in Wii U, Nintendo's had minimal success with its own software driving hardware sales. Also, with the game coming out in a little over a month, it hasn't experienced the equivalent moment of Super 3D World's "Oh, shit this game is better than we initially thought." I hope DKC fatigue has not set in either due to the 3DS port of DKC: Returns back in late May 2013.

Super 3D World only managed to stay in the top 10 NPD chart for just 1 month since its release. It's managed to remain in higher position in Japan (currently at 9th place for the week ending Jan. 12th). DKC: Returns only lasted 2 months in the top 10 NPD for Nov and December 2010. Of course, it went on to sell 4.96 million units, but Nintendo's in desperate need of an evergreen system-seller, and it doesn't seem like Tropical Freeze has what it takes to overcome the hurdles Wii U has set up for it. Mario Kart 8 and Smash Brothers may be the only ones capable of achieving that this year.

As for the rest of 2014, it's obviously hard to figure out what Nintendo could possibly have left to fill in Wii U's software lineup, but with several high-profile titles already confirmed for release, it makes one wonder if Nintendo has anything substantial left to announce and release by the end of the year.

As for the rest of 2014, it's obviously hard to figure out what Nintendo could possibly have left to fill in Wii U's software lineup, but with several high-profile titles already confirmed for release, it makes one wonder if Nintendo has anything substantial left to announce and release by the end of the year.

I would not be at all surprised if there is an Animal Crossing game coming to Wii U before the end of 2014.

Mlatador

Banned

I'm not sure about the big budget, but the concept art sure looks nice.

233222.jpg

Maybe they'll announce a direct on Monday.

They announced the forecast revision after the stock market closed, so it didn't decrease for the weekend, it will after it opens again though. Then announce a Direct to increase anticipation again.

Or we don't get one at all lol.

maxcriden

Nah, sorry but when you've played it on Wii the 3DS version plays so much worse that unless you don't have a Wii there's no reason to choose the latter's. Not only it's 30fps but the slowdowns and laggy controls really hit it at certain points, losing all the smoothness and responsiveness of the Wii's original, which is super important especially for a challenging platformer. I own both by the way, of course the 3DS port is still a fantastic game and it looks sublime in 3D and the added content is pretty cool even if not substantial, "easy mode" is a welcoming addition for less inexperienced players (and because the framerate, slowdowns and lag make certain parts of the game much more difficult than they originally were). Furthermore, if your Wii/WiiU is soft modded, you can easily play the game with the Classic Controller sans waggle-roll :)

Again, I enjoyed it on 3DS and it's still one of the best platformers *ever*, but if you gotta choose only one then there's no contest, Wii version is a superior experience.

I appreciate where you're coming from, but without a soft modded Wii, the shake-to-roll really obstructs the enjoyment of the gameplay for me. If I did have one, I agree the 3DS additional content is not a huge deal (although I did like it), so in that case I would probably agree with you that the Wii version would be best. FWIW the framerate and associated issues don't really bother me in the 3DS version.

So, I just noticed something looking the X-trailer again.

We've currently seen three regions:

- The grass-land from the first trailer, where the town probably sits
- The desert like area with no flora
- And this area in the sky? With those flying whale enemies http://abload.de/img/skyfisht4jjd.gif

So, If you look at this pic:

#1 seems like the waterfall area from this gif (and the first area we ever saw):

tumblr_mh3vdmCFSj1qzp9weo2_r1_400.gif

you see the waterfall down left in the beginning

And you also see the large mountain spike in the gif on the right? Seems like the large spike from the pic above.

Furthermore, the desert and the grass area seem to be connected by a natural bridge at #2.

D-e-f-

Banned
Are they confirmed to be doing an E3 stage presentation this year? I assumed we'd be getting an E3 direct like last year, with Zelda in it.

They said nothing definitively but they were clear that their 2013 approach wasn't necessarily and indication of their E32014 approach which sounds like = back to stage.

Are there release dates for X and Bayonetta?

Don't expect a date until 2-3 months before. We'll be lucky if we get a "season" in the next Direct.

The next Nintendo direct will indeed be interesting and will be the first chance they get to present any new changes that will be taking place to fans be it before or after the financial meeting. Not inner workings but products themselves,l how they plan to sell them, etc. I'm going to be watching closely to see what is said as it's going to be the turning point for me in regard to how I precede when it comes to my game buying. Do I stick it out with Nintendo and not give up completely on the Wii U? Or do I start making serious plans to update my PC or start preparing to pick up a PS4/XBO after a few more games get release dates. The second stops money from being spent on the Wii U and maybe even the 3DS to a degree for sometime. I'm not going to allocate any of my budget if it doesn't seem like changes are being made. If I pick up either of the new systems then I'm going to want to focus completely on those for sometime and that means no money spent in Nintendo 's direction.

I need dates for a number of games from Nintendo. I need an actual name for X. I need to know there is something for me (that interest me and not a platformer) to buy in the retail space that is not named Donkey Kong over the next several months.

Do not expect the next Direct to show some big changes in the way they do things. Way too soon. They just got their Holiday data in and the Directs are not just filmed half a day before they air.

Maybe they'll announce a direct on Monday.

They announced the forecast revision after the stock market closed, so it didn't decrease for the weekend, it will after it opens again though. Then announce a Direct to increase anticipation again.

Or we don't get one at all lol.

Directs happen on Wednesday or Thursday. Announcement will come on Tuesday at the earliest.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Don't expect a date until 2-3 months before. We'll be lucky if we get a "season" in the next Direct.

And this I think it is a big strategic mistake from Nintendo. It always keep Wii U in uncertainty about the upcoming schedule. I understand teasing and not showing more videos until close to release, but keeping the next 6-12 months schedule secret I think it's counterproductive. They should keep some surprises, of course, but for already known games put there some estimate dates. You might delay one or two, it happens all the time (look at GTA V), but at list it doesn't look like you have issues with every fucking game that it is in development.

Riki

So, I just noticed something looking the X-trailer again.

We've currently seen three regions:

- The grass-land from the first trailer, where the town probably sits
- The desert like area with no flora
- And this area in the sky? With those flying whale enemies http://abload.de/img/skyfisht4jjd.gif

So, If you look at this pic:

#1 seems like the waterfall area from this gif (and the first area we ever saw):

tumblr_mh3vdmCFSj1qzp9weo2_r1_400.gif

you see the waterfall down left in the beginning

And you also see the large mountain spike in the gif on the right? Seems like the large spike from the pic above.

Furthermore, the desert and the grass area seem to be connected by a natural bridge at #2.

We definitely haven't seen much of the world so far. But at the same time, it really seems like everything if far more connected in X. No more running to transition areas.

We definitely haven't seen much of the world so far. But at the same time, it really seems like everything if far more connected in X. No more running to transition areas.
Yes.

And if you consider that you are this small and this waterfall part...

...is the small corner I marked with 1

The scale should be f*cking gigantic.

But I hope these aren't the only areas, because it's already that large.

Riki

There will likely be a variety of areas and biomes to explore, like in Xenoblade.
Hope there's a Marsh area that becomes amazing at night!

I just hope that X doesn't suffer from too much pop in. The trailer looked great so far, but I'm still a bit weary. Especially after the wizards at EAD still had to have pop-in even in the small "open" areas in 3D World. Here's hoping Monolithsoft proves my worries to be wrong, which I think they can.

cacildo

I expect Tropical Freeze to sell like hotcakes at launch and continue to sell at a steady pace throughout the year, granted it's a well received game (might even beat DKC2, here's hoping).

Im REALLY skeptical on Donkey Kong sales....

Back in 2009 New Super Mario Bros Wii was about to be released and i was the grumpy asshole saying "it wont sell!!! Nobody likes 2d games!!!" and it went and sold ten thousand fuckillion copies

But NOW i think people got tired of 2d games. Because there´s too many of em. On the wiiu alone there´s 2 marios 1 rayman and a lot of eshop games.

D-e-f-

Banned
Retro outdid themselves with the backgrounds in this one. This'll one thing people will appreciate the most in this game visually once it's out and we don't have to judge it based on YT videos.

Also: silhouette DK&Cranky look like some freaky mutation.

wilflare

playing LEGO Marvel with the girlfriend on the Wii U!
it's pretty awesome but the lag/glitches at some points are rather disappointing :/

EDarkness

playing LEGO Marvel with the girlfriend on the Wii U!
it's pretty awesome but the lag/glitches at some points are rather disappointing :/

This is pretty much true for all versions of LEGO Marvel. My friend has the PS3 version (as does my roommate) and they complained about the same thing. The game is just littered with glitches and bugs. Hard to believe they released the game in the state it's in.

LEGO City is far more polished.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

If I lose this bet (that Nintendo rakes in more software sales this year than Sony/MS), I'll gift out 100 Steam games in a giveaway here, good ones.

Wacky Speculation Mode: Crazy news that could make Nintendo a ton of more cash is:

1: Nintendo buys the rights to both Sonic and Mega Man. And put out the very first Nintendo produced Sonic game, and Mega Man game. Becoming the best Sonic ever made, obviously.

2: Nintendo moneyhats Miyazaki to signup at Nintendo and leave FromSoftware (GAF and the net would go fucking berserk!), where they set him up under a new EAD branch and make him Creative Director with full creative control over his first project. Then hand him Zelda or a new 3D Metroid or New IP, tell him to go crazy with a budget and time he never got to work to it's fullest potential at FromSoft.

3: Shinji Mikami takes on the development of a Captain Falcon beat em' up, God Hand-esque. And develops the game around pure speed and skill-based combat.

4: Nintendo gets their act together involving friends on the Wii U and expands it further than anyone ever has in any closed system. Incorporating video chat as well as everything else already out there.

I really, really like your optimism mate and I pray you're correct. I doubt it, though :/

Phazon

Well, someone on my Twitter (thanks Il Guida) did a little bit of searching on the site=

RXYueWF.png

- Certain parts of the site are closed: http://hanakai-studio.com/?page_id=17

- I searched for Jean Bey and came across his LinkedIn Profile

• Founder. CEO and Creative Director.
  • Hanakaï Studio
  • 2012 – Poste actuel (2 ans) Région de Paris , France

Working on an unannounced AAA project.

http://fr.linkedin.com/pub/jean-bey/18/819/65a (looks like he was a boardgame designer)

Other name mentioned is Franck de Visme
Also, there are mentions of Project Dark Witch and Project Guardians

Maybe someone can dig up some more. :)

Phazon

This is very interesting.

If you scroll down on Jean his page you can see what groups he's in

I highlighted a couple of interesting ones.

Groupes et associations :
Logo Browsergames
Browsergames

Unity3D for Adobe
Logo Unreal Engine Developers
Unreal Engine Developers

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well this mystery game was categorized as an RPG and if this person was involved in board games and tactical games that would suggest that perhaps this might be an SRPG but that's just feeble speculation at looking at his profile description.

The concept art and the name Project Black Witch matches quite well or rather both have black, and if that one twitter post about a possible Wii U game that is unannounced is connected to this it could prove quite interesting.

But still. Not enough information to go by. But still very interesting nonetheless.

Why do people think think Project Dark Witch has anything to do with MarvelousAQL or Mistwalker? The game is by a French person, far and beyond unrelated to said companies in Japan.

Some Nobody

Can I be the first to ask for Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 2nd Chapter when it comes to Steam?

I mean, I'd love for you to be right. If Nintendo really and truly got its shit together it could be the last bastion of old-school gaming (PS1/N64 and PS2/GC-era) using new school technology. No passing off AC and COD every fucking year and pretending as if they did something special.

...But realistically, the only way this could happen is if Nintendo completely changed the way they handled things.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Why do people think think Project Dark Witch has anything to do with MarvelousAQL or Mistwalker? The game is by a French person, far and beyond unrelated to said companies in Japan.

I don't think anyone was making that connection. Although there is a supposed 3DS project called "Dragon Marked for Death" I wonder about from Marvelous and Inti Creates. I dunno what happened with it. Only people that ever mentioned it was Siliconera like twice. Maybe it got canned silently.

Words cannot describe how disappointed I would be if the big Wii U holiday release in 2014 was Animal Crossing.

Given how utterly deflated people were when they tried to make city folk a tentpole holiday wii game, surely they won't repeat this foolishness. The iwata statements of the past few days actually make it sound like their insular bubble weakened a tiny bit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I would not be at all surprised if there is an Animal Crossing game coming to Wii U before the end of 2014.

YES, PLEASE.

This should have happened at the release of the 3DS version with cross-save capability.

Besides, Smash will be the big holiday title.

Top Bottom