• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Since we didn't get a Direct with the investor meeting, I'm guessing we won't get one until DKC releases :(

At least it should be a good one since we don't have much info on any other game aside from MK8.

jmizzal

Since we didn't get a Direct with the investor meeting, I'm guessing we won't get one until DKC releases :(

At least it should be a good one since we don't have much info on any other game aside from MK8.

Since there was no Direct at the meeting, I honestly wouldn't expect a major one until after Donkey Kong is out, sadly.

DK is out on the 13th in Japan, so I expect a ND before it, which this week would make sense the 5th or 6th

I expect final info on DKCTF, Mario Kart info, Wii Sports club baseball, Steel Diver subwars info they talked a lil about FTP, and maybe see what other games will be coming out before MK

Does it? I feel like it might compete with MK on Wii U. F-zero seems to fit more on the 3DS for me, though I wish we would get F-zero in 1080p/60fps glory.
There's room for Mario Kart, F-Zero and Wave Race in the Wii U lineup. They all cater to different tastes even though they're all racing games.

It just seems like a powerful system like the Wii U could finally do the F-Zero franchise justice.

g23

European pre-madonna
Has anyone tried AC IV Black Flag for the Wii u? How's is it? Also how is darksiders 2? Did they fix the performance issues?

D-e-f-

Banned
Has anyone tried AC IV Black Flag for the Wii u? How's is it? Also how is darksiders 2? Did they fix the performance issues?

Just played some AC IV multiplayer last night. No reason not to get it.

And we literally just discussed Darksiders 2. Find your detailed info on the last one or two pages.

BY2K

Membero Americo
NlUjBxG.jpg

This was made as a joke by a EB Games clerk in downtown Montreal. And apparently people DID want to buy it.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
NlUjBxG.jpg

This was made as a joke by a EB Games clerk in downtown Montreal. And apparently people DID want to buy it.

*sigh* GOD I hope that never happens. I'm not happy with the situation with the WiiU (since I just got one for xmas thanks to a gift card damnit!) but I'll be damned if I spend $400 on a pc-wannabe when I love mine. :p

D-e-f-

Banned
NlUjBxG.jpg

The sad thing is, it'd would actually be a severe downgrade with missing features and all.

Thankfully that'll never ever happen, no matter how much the blind sheep want it.

onilink88

A few more X constatations, specifically regarding the "city". And I use the term very loosely, as I only view it as such on a face value basis.

1. It doesn't seem to be a purely military/mercenary installation. You can see a soldier/mercenary mingling with what I assume to be a civilian in this shot:

Other observations:

The mingling NPCs are standing by a fast food joint called "Atune". The lettuce portion of the burger spells out its name. The patty might also be saying something, but if it is, I can't make it out.

The sign on the building to the left diagonal of the MC (I'm almost certain) reads "Ginevra".

It's probably safe to say this is a shopping plaza/district. If you look further down the street, you can make out other shops (as well as another eatery/cafe, with a table parasol to accommodate patrons who want to eat outside).

Pointless trivia:
The second building I pointed out might be named after Ginevra de' Benci, a fifteenth-century Florentine aristocrat whose portrait was painted by Leonardo da Vinci. Ginevra is also the given name of the youngest sibling of the Weasley family from the Harry Potter series of books and films.

A bit of silly extrapolation:
Ginevra was from Florence, a cornerstone of the Italian fashion world. The establishment, if I had to take a guess, might deal in fancy clothes or cosmetics.

2. I think I might've spotted the (or possibly a) residential district. Look to right, across the gap. You can see greenery there (trees, I think). Also there are these white bits scattered around- these I believe to be houses:

3. There are massive cranes, facing both in and outward, lining the top of the "wall". There are also these bots that look like they were built for construction work:

An important question to ask here is whether they're building stuff from the ground up or fixing something.

4. As you can see in the second shot, there appears to be multiple levels to this thing, and enormous gaps separating sections of the floor.

5. Once again looking at the second shot, those tower things are extremely curious. I'm not sure they're buildings; they're just so odd, especially the one in the middle where the percentage appears. Could it be that whatever they're running out of is contained within it?

6. There's deformity of the terrain outside of the "city":

7. And most curious of all, there are massive crystalline formations jotting out of the ground outside of the "city":

I think it's fair to say that I've played my fair share of RPGs, and in my experiences with them, I haven't come across anything this unconventional. Its architecture, what's in it, what's outside of it, where it's located- everything surrounding this place is plain strange. If it's a plain city or some sort of space-faring vessel, it's nothing like the ones I've encountered.

There's one final point that's worth reiterating upon. It's nothing new, and not something that anyone who's seen the teasers for themselves hasn't already figured out, but it is something that's been made even more clear to me throughout the analyses I've done. Look at the first shot and compare the size of the people to the crane, then look at the second one. The city/ship/whatever is absolutely colossal by itself. Now, finally, look at the last shot. Something that huge only occupies a mere fraction of the surrounding land- one single area to boot. I doubt the people who have described the game as big - myself included - realize just how big it really is. This game is Brobdingnagian in scope- it's almost unfathomable. What kind of monstrosity (and I mean this in the best way possible :p) are the folks of Monolith Tokyo working on? I'm beginning to think that what Takahashi said wasn't hyperbole or idle boast, and that X really will end up being twenty times the size of Xenoblade.

MDX

A few more X constatations, specifically regarding the "city". And I use the term very loosely, as I only view it as such on a face value basis.

1. It doesn't seem to be a purely military/mercenary installation. You can see a soldier/mercenary mingling with what I assume to be a civilian in this shot:

A lot of civilians work and live on military bases.
Could also be a soldier that is not in uniform too.

edit to add:

What if there is an online mode that plays similar to Titan Fall?

(...)

There's one final point that's worth reiterating upon. It's nothing new, and not something that anyone who's seen the teasers for themselves hasn't already figured out, but it is something that's been made even more clear to me throughout the analyses I've done. Look at the first shot and compare the size of the people to the crane, then look at the second one. The city/ship/whatever is absolutely colossal by itself. Now, finally, look at the last shot. Something that huge only occupies a mere fraction of the surrounding land- one single area to boot. I doubt the people who have described the game as big - myself included - realize just how big it really is. This game is Brobdingnagian in scope- it's almost unfathomable. What kind of monstrosity (and I mean this in the best way possible :p) are the folks of Monolith Tokyo working on? I'm beginning to think that what Takahashi said wasn't hyperbole or idle boast, and that X really will end up being twenty times the size of Xenoblade.
Thanks onilink, love reading these. ;)

Yeah, the scale is astronomical.

I already posted this a few weeks ago:

#1 is the waterfall area

The thing is, you probably already need 2 to 3 minutes to run to the waterfall in the last picture

Sendou

Lack of X news is killing me.

Here's hoping we get a direct with some news this month. :<

Well think positively: at least this way we can be sure that Monolith Soft is putting their all into finishing the game instead of preparing PR material.

No doubt we will hear about the game soon. It's not the only game I want to hear about either. I think Nintendo really needs to start opening up about their plans for this year.

VanWinkle

*sigh* GOD I hope that never happens. I'm not happy with the situation with the WiiU (since I just got one for xmas thanks to a gift card damnit!) but I'll be damned if I spend $400 on a pc-wannabe when I love mine. :p

The sad thing is, it'd would actually be a severe downgrade with missing features and all.

Thankfully that'll never ever happen, no matter how much the blind sheep want it.

Of course they want to, what else would they get???

Knack???

LOL, this is some seriously pathetic fanboyism at play. "Severe downgrade" hahaha. Man, I go into this thread to check on new updates for a system that I really do enjoy, but this is just sad. I have the game on Wii U, but I'd much rather have it on PS4 in a hypothetical sense. At least it would be 60fps. I'd take that over Miiverse bottle messages.

D-e-f-

Banned
LOL, this is some seriously pathetic fanboyism at play. "Severe downgrade" hahaha. Man, I go into this thread to check on new updates for a system that I really do enjoy, but this is just sad. I have the game on Wii U, but I'd much rather have it on PS4 in a hypothetical sense. At least it would be 60fps. I'd take that over Miiverse bottle messages.

I love you too.

Sendou

For obvious reasons this thread is a home for many people that are big fans of the Wii U platform. Maybe I should consider myself amongst them because I honestly value the GamePad function (as demonstrated by trying to play the with Pro Controller instead of GamePad) and Miiverse over double the framerate in The Wind Waker HD. Even if you don't agree I hope you can respect this view without thinking that one can't hold it without having irrational corporate loyalty.

Oersted

Still expect februar. Bimonthly and all that.

Where have you guys been during the 6th gen? You could have made Xbox more successful than PS2.

onilink88

A lot of civilians work and live on military bases.
Could also be a soldier that is not in uniform too.

Yeah, absolutely; this is a possibility, too.

Thanks onilink, love reading these. ;)

Yeah, the scale is astronomical.

I already posted this a few weeks ago:

#1 is the waterfall area

The thing is, you probably already need 2 to 3 minutes to run to the waterfall in the last picture

What impresses me the most is that a relatively small developer like them are able to achieve so much (SE really ought to hang its head in shame). And the results are so pretty, too, that it's almost hard to believe this is their first HD outing. By the way, what's number 2?

There's a burger place in X? There better be a burger eating minigame. Or a burger making quest.

You joke, but I'd welcome mini-games (so long as they're well-executed). Gears and Saga both had a bunch of fun ones, and their lack of presence was felt in Blade, in my opinion. Hopefully they return in X.

I have a feeling, my Wii U is going to be my most played console of 2014. Own the PS4 and Xbox One too.

Hyrule Warriors
MK8
Yarn Yoshi
Donkey Kong

My comment was in fun but the truth.

The PS4 has the best future of the lot(way better than the Wii U's obviously) but when Knack is one of the better selling launch games, you know the system is currently in a very bad place.

69wpm

The PS4 has the best future of the lot(way better than the Wii U's obviously) but when Knack is one of the better selling launch games, you know the system is currently in a very bad place.

Shhh, the crazies
this is how I will call fanboys from now and refers to the movie
might here you. Don't destroy their believe that Knack is better than Mario because it sold more in a certain country.

Now, I've been thinking about this for quite some time but I think Nintendo will have a surprise with Hyrule Warriors (name not finale). The game might turn out to get more people to buy a Wii U than they think, at least my gut tells me that. It is probably just a game to fill the empty release schedule but could turn out more than that. At least I hope so. People have been begging for a more action orientated Zelda.

Yagami_Sama

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5, God I can't believe SE dropped the ball on that.

Kingdom Hearts not appearing on Wii U and be on X-box one, seems so wrong.

KH, it is like Wonderful 101. fits the console perfectly. And also need should make a deal with Square-Enix and develop and exclusive KH , and include a Nintendo World in the game. Or just drop all Disney stuff and use Nintendo stuff, instead.

tebunker

Banned
Kingdom Hearts not appearing on Wii U and be on X-box one, seems so wrong.

KH, it is like Wonderful 101. fits the console perfectly. And also need should make a deal with Square-Enix and develop and exclusive KH , and include a Nintendo World in the game. Or just drop all Disney stuff and use Nintendo stuff, instead.

Well I would love to a more traditional non-Nintendo developed Nintendo themes rpg

D-e-f-

Banned
Now, I've been thinking about this for quite some time but I think Nintendo will have a surprise with Hyrule Warriors (name not finale). The game might turn out to get more people to buy a Wii U than they think, at least my gut tells me that. It is probably just a game to fill the empty release schedule but could turn out more than that. At least I hope so. People have been begging for a more action orientated Zelda.

It's tough to say with the little details we know about it. The Musou fans would have to be pretty hardcore to follow the game here and I worry that it might not excite the typical Zelda fan precisely because of its action focus. Plus the "lolsamuraiwarriors" stigma...

Again, we need to see more to be able to tell if this has potential to pull in a crowd.

VanWinkle

For obvious reasons this thread is a home for many people that are big fans of the Wii U platform. Maybe I should consider myself amongst them because I honestly value the GamePad function (as demonstrated by trying to play the with Pro Controller instead of GamePad) and Miiverse over double the framerate in The Wind Waker HD. Even if you don't agree I hope you can respect this view without thinking that one can't hold it without having irrational corporate loyalty.

I love the Gamepad. I've always been a proponent of it. I just had to laugh at the reactions to a silly picture somebody posted. The defensive measures kicked in to an unholy degree.

Where have you guys been during the 6th gen? You could have made Xbox more successful than PS2.

I LOVED the Xbox. It was my primary 6th gen console. Of course, power isn't the only important thing, which I why I really like my Wii U, as well.

My comment was in fun but the truth.

Knack's not really one of the better selling launch games. It has sold reasonably well but has been outsold by many of the launch games. Having said that, I have Knack and it's pretty good. Not amazing, but good. I just wish it had [way] more platforming. And I have to say, if Knack has sold better than Super Mario 3D World (a much better game), I think it has more to say of the Wii U currently in a very bad place, not the PS4.

Riki

It's tough to say with the little details we know about it. The Musou fans would have to be pretty hardcore to follow the game here and I worry that it might not excite the typical Zelda fan precisely because of its action focus. Plus the "lolsamuraiwarriors" stigma...

Again, we need to see more to be able to tell if this has potential to pull in a crowd.
Anecdotal: I've had a guy I work with say he was excited for the new Zelda for WiiU because it looks pretty epic. He's not a real hardcore gamer but he keeps up pretty well.
I thinj, if they market it right, it could reach a big audience.

jmizzal

Anecdotal: I've had a guy I work with say he was excited for the new Zelda for WiiU because it looks pretty epic. He's not a real hardcore gamer but he keeps up pretty well.
I thinj, if they market it right, it could reach a big audience.

If a 10 year old Zelda game in WWHD can sell over 1 mil in 3 months on WiiU, Hyrule Warriors can do very well.

As long as they go all out on it and load it with content like all the Dynasty Warriors games and it has reviews in the range of 80-90 it could be a hit.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I really enjoyed the game but it is unorthodox to say the least. It's a weird situation of a game with all the amazing little touches but a lacking core. Layle is the best FF Protag though.
Indeed. The juxtaposition between attention to various details and game's lack of substance (for me) gave me a bit of a cognitive dissonance. Also made me realize I really did not need a FF sandbox.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Maybe some of those posts are a bit on the fanboy-ish side, yes, but at least they're not flat-out wrong like you are. Yes, the game would be a downgrade and that much really can't be argued. The game is already 1080p so you'd lose Miiverse and gamepad functions and gain NOTHING. No, TWW can't run at 60fps, it has keyed @30fps animation like many Japanese developed games of its era. You can't run it @60fps on Dolphin for the exact same reason. So yeah, maybe you should inform yourself better before lolling at other poster's opinions.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
If a 10 year old Zelda game in WWHD can sell over 1 mil in 3 months on WiiU, Hyrule Warriors can do very well.

As long as they go all out on it and load it with content like all the Dynasty Warriors games and it has reviews in the range of 80-90 it could be a hit.

If it really is just a Musou with a Zelda coat of paint that ain't happening mate.
60 from printed magazines (Edge, GamesTM, etc.) and 70/75 from websites is way more likely, hopefully it'll edge towards a mid-70/low-80s average if Nintendo supervises it and makes sure it's a really good effort.

VanWinkle

Maybe some of those posts are a bit on the fanboy-ish side, yes, but at least they're not flat-out wrong like you are. Yes, the game would be a downgrade and that much really can't be argued. The game is already 1080p so you'd lose Miiverse and gamepad functions and gain NOTHING. No, TWW can't run at 60fps, it has keyed @30fps animation like many Japanese developed games of its era. You can't run it @60fps on Dolphin for the exact same reason. So yeah, maybe you should inform yourself better before lolling at other poster's opinions.

I'm not saying they just put it on PS4 and suddenly it's 60fps. I'm saying this game would be capable of 1080p/60fps (if they did additional work on the remake like new animations) on PS4 while I don't believe it would on the Wii U. In fact, I seem to get quite frequent framerate drops on the Wii U version.

Besides, that wasn't at all the point of my post. I was saying the reactions to a silly picture were ridiculous.

Riki

If it really is just a Musou with a Zelda coat of paint that ain't happening mate.
60 from printed magazines (Edge, GamesTM, etc.) and 70/75 from websites is way more likely, hopefully it'll edge towards a mid-70/low-80s average if Nintendo supervises it and makes sure it's a really good effort.

It's very rare that Nintendo licenses out one of their main IPs and doesn't oversee it fully. It will likely be the most polished Musou game ever.

What impresses me the most is that a relatively small developer like them are able to achieve so much (SE really ought to hang its head in shame). And the results are so pretty, too, that it's almost hard to believe this is their first HD outing. By the way, what's number 2?
Number 2 is this connection point between those two areas, the "grass area" and the "desert area".

Probably this part:
X-Wii-U-600-X-300.png

And this big gear seems like a hundret meters high lol, imagine how high he flies in the first picture I posted, this game is gigantic in every direction.

Riki

It will be interesting to see how the world is handled in X. We know it's huge, but how is it filled? If we can't use the mechs all the time, is there other forms of vehicles? Will we have all the standard biomes (desert, forest, swamp, plains, mountains, arctic, ect)?

So many questions. It's becoming infuriating. Across every platform, this is the single game that I want most. I haven't been like this since Golden Sun was announced years ago for the GBA. I would watch the same trailers and little gameplay snippets over and over, waiting for it to finally come out. Analyzing every little detail. Trying to figure everything out.

jmizzal

"Last month, reports began circling of GameStop stores in Italy and the U.S. canceling pre-orders for Watch Dogs on Wii U. Ubisoft confirmed with Polygon at the time that the Wii U version had not been canceled, but Nintendo's third quarter financial report published on Jan. 30 did not list Watch Dogs as a Wii U title coming this fiscal year. Ubisoft again confirmed that the game was slated to launch in the first quarter of Ubisoft and Nintendo's fiscal year 2014-2015, which begins in April.

Looks like Polygon got a response from Ubisoft and they said twice that the game is still coming to WiiU.

This will get spin'd as Polygon doesnt know anything tho

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/3/5374634/why-did-ubisoft-abandon-one-of-its-watch-dogs-trademarks

"Last month, reports began circling of GameStop stores in Italy and the U.S. canceling pre-orders for Watch Dogs on Wii U. Ubisoft confirmed with Polygon at the time that the Wii U version had not been canceled, but Nintendo's third quarter financial report published on Jan. 30 did not list Watch Dogs as a Wii U title coming this fiscal year. Ubisoft again confirmed that the game was slated to launch in the first quarter of Ubisoft and Nintendo's fiscal year 2014-2015, which begins in April.

Looks like Polygon got a response from Ubisoft and they said twice that the game is still coming to WiiU.

This will get spin'd as Polygon doesnt know anything tho

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/3/5374634/why-did-ubisoft-abandon-one-of-its-watch-dogs-trademarks

Actually the fact it's from Polygon.... makes it more likely to be true.

They're a MS-loving site, you'd think they'd spin it somehow to make it look like it's been canned for Wii U or something, so the fact they even reported a POSITIVE Wii U article, is something hopeful.

jmizzal

Actually the fact it's from Polygon.... makes it more likely to be true.

They're a MS-loving site, you'd think they'd spin it somehow to make it look like it's been canned for Wii U or something, so the fact they even reported a POSITIVE Wii U article, is something hopeful.

Yea and its interesting that they specifically say that asked them twice, and the last part about Ubisoft saying it will coming between Nintendo's and Ubisofts fiscal year 2014-2015

Top Bottom