• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Glass Joe

Lego City Undercover is a game that will NEVER be on a sale, it seems

But then again, nobody ever answered me this: Is LCU just another Lego Game, in the sense that if you die you just respawn without losing anything?

Because really, i think lego games are pathetic because of this. What´s the point if there´s no challenge?

I asked the same question about Marvel Lego Whatever and Lego Movie. Nobody at gaf ever answer it to me.

If you die, you respawn immediately just like other Lego games, IIRC. It's more about enjoying the story and humor. If you demand a challenge, I'd recommend you avoid this as well as any Lego titles. One of the few games I genuinely laughed with though, I liked it a ton. Very charasmatic.

Man I wish EA chose ME1 instead of ME3, yeah I know ME3 was the newest, but isn't the original regarded as the best and they could've attempted to put in all content as all of it is old and done so it was all there to use. ME3 Wii U only featured the free DLC (save for one I think) out of all of them?

And this way it's perfect for newcomers, throwing ME3 to an entire new audience, even with the Genesis 2 comic, is very unwise.

Richie

Man I wish EA chose ME1 instead of ME3, yeah I know ME3 was the newest, but isn't the original regarded as the best and they could've attempted to put in all content as all of it is old and done so it was all there to use. ME3 Wii U only featured the free DLC (save for one I think) out of all of them?

And this way it's perfect for newcomers, throwing ME3 to an entire new audience, even with the Genesis 2 comic, is very unwise.

They should have released the damn trilogy at launch.

In fact, considering the quick buck they'd have made, I wonder why other third parties didn't see fit to release their previous gen's HD compilations and take advantage of the new audience, while prepping them up for future installments.

Effect

You can't seriously be recomending Mass Effect 3 to a person who hasn't played ME1 and ME2...

Having finally played the trilogy I don't agree that you can't recommend it. Especially now with it's price being so low if you can find a copy. It certainly helps to have played it from start to finish as there is an emotional connection that is built up over the games with some of the characters and seeing events first hand is better then getting a recap. The interactive comics tries to help build up that connection with the ME1 characters as they play the biggest role in ME3. It takes around 15 minutes to complete I believe. So there is some effort there. I wish the ME2 section was bigger but I get why it's as short as it is. Those characters got short changed in ME3.

It would certainly be a significantly easier sell if the Citadel DLC had been released for. Just that. Mainly because it's really character interaction heavy content and that would really take care of you the player having a strong connection with the cast. This also addresses the short stick some of the ME2 characters got as well.

In this case I would recommend looking up youtube videos for play throughs of it if one is interested. There are a few out there that ad based around different play styles (male or female Shepard, either paragon or renegade, or focusing on different love interest).

Releasing the trilogy would have been better no doubt. Even if it was a year after launch.

I will say if one wants an RPG to play, and not have to deal with the issues surrounding Mass Effect 3, then they can wait for X. I suggest doing that anyway but there are another options. Try to track down a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Arc Rise Fantasia (you'll have to deal with a horrible English dub I believe but the game is suppose to be solid outside of that), or Rune Factory Frontier. I haven't played the last two but I have played the other two and might be more appropriate replacements for something like Mass Effect. Though the others are suppose to be good as well but Xenoblade and The Last Story certainly being THE BEST out of the group as far as the party based RPGs go that can be played on the Wii U. Sadly you'll be in Wii Mode. The RPG situation on the Wii and Wii U is pretty barren.

prag16

Banned
You can't seriously be recomending Mass Effect 3 to a person who hasn't played ME1 and ME2...

Are you the same guy that broke my balls in the other topic? Too lazy to check.

I clearly said if he has no other way of playing the series. If he has another console it's obviously a better option, to experience all three.

But if he doesn't, it's a good game with a lot of content for $10 or so. It's worth it at that price even for newbies, and I stand by that (again, if they have no reasonable means of playing the other two).

EDIT: Also, what Effect said. I don't 100% agree, but I fall more on that side of the ledger than the "it's totally nuts to even consider it if you haven't played the first two regardless of the circumstances" side.

Yagami_Sama

I pre-ordered Mass Effect 3 at the same time I pre-ordered my Wii U. Actually it was the first game I played and finished in my Wii U.

It possible to be aware of what happened in the first two games in the beginning of the game. The events are informed via a Comic Book like tale.

If EA had release the trilogy instead of just the III, maybe it were more successful.

I do recommend this game for all Wii U owners.

I pre-ordered Mass Effect 3 at the same time I pre-ordered my Wii U. Actually it was the first game I played and finished in my Wii U.

It possible to be aware of what happened in the first two games in the beginning of the game. The events are informed via a Comic Book like tale.

If EA had release the trilogy instead of just the III, maybe it were more successful.

I do recommend this game for all Wii U owners.

Does Mass Effect 3 have a MiiVerse community ?

Yagami_Sama

I really don't care about virtual console stuff.
But I hope that this might help revive some franchises and new games may be developed;

Effect

So I ended up buying Darksiders 2 after all. Notice something strange right away. I've watched videos on youtube clearly show off the screen tearing in the game. I don't see it myself in the same scenes in the beginning of the game as I'm playing. I'm wondering if this is another case of Batman Arkham City. Where I believe that the game performed better when the Wii U itself was set to output 720p and not 1080p which I think it defaults to. I have my system setup like that primarily because my HDTV is a 720p/1080i. It didn't make sense for the system to push out a 1080p signal and then have it converted down (either by the system or tv) to 720p. Just have the signal match.

Now granted maybe it will show in later parts of the game. I'm now in Baneswood. Maybe it is happening but it's happening so fast I'm just honestly not seeing it. However I think should if I could see it in the youtube videos.

Has anyone else simply not seen it in this game or any other game when tearing is suppose to be visable?

Yagami_Sama

Darksiders 2 have some weirds things, like when you manage to jump on a spot that was to do that and other glitches. Besides this minor issues I enjoyed the game more than I expected. To finish the game on Hard mode (I did not played it normal mode) it took more than 50 hours,including Argul's Tomb Campaign.
Talking about the graphics, I just had serious issues on the ivory citadel. In a specific part, the game was so slow that I though that it will disintegrate.But in the other areas it was ok, some drop
but did not affect game play, like this on Ivory Citadel.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know if third party Wii motion plus remotes work with WiiU ?. Prices are bat shit insane in the UK for the officials ones.

Thanks.

They should, take a look at Nintendo's official store first though. Here in Canada you can get a refurbished Wii remote plus with a nunchuck for $20.

Riki

So I ended up buying Darksiders 2 after all. Notice something strange right away. I've watched videos on youtube clearly show off the screen tearing in the game. I don't see it myself in the same scenes in the beginning of the game as I'm playing. I'm wondering if this is another case of Batman Arkham City. Where I believe that the game performed better when the Wii U itself was set to output 720p and not 1080p which I think it defaults to. I have my system setup like that primarily because my HDTV is a 720p/1080i. It didn't make sense for the system to push out a 1080p signal and then have it converted down (either by the system or tv) to 720p. Just have the signal match.

Now granted maybe it will show in later parts of the game. I'm now in Baneswood. Maybe it is happening but it's happening so far I'm just honestly not seeing it. However I think should if I could see it in the youtube videos.

Has anyone else simply not seen it in this game or any other game when tearing is suppose to be visable?
I noticed most tearing when I was climbing on things, oddly enough. Even set to 720p. It can be annoying, but it's not a huge issue.
And yes, the game has many glitches. It's not as bad as the first one (watch a speed run of it, it's a mess), but they are there.
Over all, it's a really great game. There's a lot of depth to it, especially in the weapon crafting (though, it becomes trivial in the end game because you can create the strongest weapon easily).
I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys the action adventure genres.

My only real gripe with the game is the ending. You can tell that THQ made them slap together an ending just to push the game out the door.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
weird..
I found a Nintendo Download thread. I guess that'll do. Thanks!

unfortunately you'll not find in the Nintendo download thread the info related to all the indie games available or incoming. but just the info about this monthìs games.

oxidax

unfortunately you'll not find in the Nintendo download thread the info related to all the indie games available or incoming. but just the info about this monthìs games.

Yea I saw that :/ Im gonna have to keep an eye out and write down the dates whenever i see one.

tebunker

Banned
I know there is an OT for it but I just picked up DKTF this weekend thanks to the sale and omg what a great game. I am not saying it is perfect but wow, I am really enjoying it even more than NSMBU and it is right up there with 3d world.

jimi_dini

I know there is an OT for it but I just picked up DKTF this weekend thanks to the sale and omg what a great game. I am not saying it is perfect but wow, I am really enjoying it even more than NSMBU and it is right up there with 3d world.

Fully agree. I got it a few days ago and wow, the levels. And it's also rock-solid 60fps. I don't think that I can go back to PS3 anymore (except Dark Souls2).

Roo

No idea who that is. I guess he was wrong in the past?

Not really. I mean, I don't kow him but he has been "revealing" info about the game this past week. It seems rather suspicious he's able to give so many details when other established journalists can't talk about it yet (see: GameXplain) so that's why we think he's just trolling.

Will get Rayman in a few minutes and still undecided about Darksiders 2. I plan on getting a PC but I am not really sure when. For the moment my PS3, 3DS and Wii U are fine.

Now granted maybe it will show in later parts of the game. I'm now in Baneswood. Maybe it is happening but it's happening so fast I'm just honestly not seeing it. However I think should if I could see it in the youtube videos.

I have also heard that some games have performance issues when downloading something in the background. This could have been the case at launch when most were trying this 3rd party games for the first time while downloading something.

Munkybhai

I noticed most tearing when I was climbing on things, oddly enough. Even set to 720p. It can be annoying, but it's not a huge issue.
And yes, the game has many glitches. It's not as bad as the first one (watch a speed run of it, it's a mess), but they are there.
Over all, it's a really great game. There's a lot of depth to it, especially in the weapon crafting (though, it becomes trivial in the end game because you can create the strongest weapon easily).
I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys the action adventure genres.

My only real gripe with the game is the ending. You can tell that THQ made them slap together an ending just to push the game out the door.

Just got it, and noticed the tearing straight away. Having, until recently, only had Nintendo consoles, I was not used to this. Its jarringly terrible! I'm glad that all the other Wii U games are devoid of this. I definitely dislike that more than jaggies.

maxcriden

Nintendo Direct Day it is !

That would be great and everything--I'm expecting one very soon--but I think it might just be the embargo being up for MK, so I wouldn't necessarily get your hopes up for an ND this week. BTW, at this rate I'm getting the feeling most major surprises are being saved for E3, unlike last year's blowout direct strategy in the first half of the year.

jakomocha

Just got it, and noticed the tearing straight away. Having, until recently, only had Nintendo consoles, I was not used to this. Its jarringly terrible! I'm glad that all the other Wii U games are devoid of this. I definitely dislike that more than jaggies.

All other Wii U games? Maybe you should try The Amazing Spiderman: Ultimate Edition on Wii U.
It even tears while reading comics. That's not even part of the gameplay!

Anyways, I'll probably pick up Rayman Legends. I really want Deus Ex: DC (I never played Human Revolution before) but the fact that it is priced higher compared to the other ports makes me sour so I'll probably just rent it (I get the feeling it's not really the type of game you can rent though). Darksiders 2 seems really cool, but I want to play the first one first. I think I'll just rent both.
Is it worth it to add a hard drive to my Wii U? Otherwise I won't be able to get Rayman Legends. The only thing making me second guess doing this is because it feels like that is a waste of a terabyte hard drive
considering the Wii U is no where close to having a terabyte of games on it.

tebunker

Banned
All other Wii U games? Maybe you should try The Amazing Spiderman: Ultimate Edition on Wii U.
It even tears while reading comics. That's not even part of the gameplay!

Anyways, I'll probably pick up Rayman Legends. I really want Deus Ex: DC (I never played Human Revolution before) but the fact that it is priced higher compared to the other ports makes me sour so I'll probably just rent it (I get the feeling it's not really the type of game you can rent though). Darksiders 2 seems really cool, but I want to play the first one first. I think I'll just rent both.
Is it worth it to add a hard drive to my Wii U? Otherwise I won't be able to get Rayman Legends. The only thing making me second guess doing this is because it feels like that is a waste of a terabyte hard drive
considering the Wii U is no where close to having a terabyte of games on it.

Deus Ex has come down in price some. Also do you have a PC or PS3 to play it? No, then don't sweat it. There is definitely $50 worth of content, and you will play it more than once. Give Straight Right their due and buy it digitally on the Eshop. Just saying, by standing for some silly principle, consumers told SE that they didn't want the game. Not that they weren't willing to pay more for it, no, unfortunately SE only sees that Nintendo consumers do not want those games. It's a shame they released concurrently, if they released the WiiU version in April or May for $50 it probably sells well.

jmizzal

That would be great and everything--I'm expecting one very soon--but I think it might just be the embargo being up for MK, so I wouldn't necessarily get your hopes up for an ND this week. BTW, at this rate I'm getting the feeling most major surprises are being saved for E3, unlike last year's blowout direct strategy in the first half of the year.

I dont really care about surprises right now they can wait for E3, all I want from the April ND is some games announced for summer after Mario Kart 8, like Bayo 1 and Bayo 2 release date and Hyrule Warriors date and more info.

jholmes

I really want Deus Ex: DC (I never played Human Revolution before) but the fact that it is priced higher compared to the other ports makes me sour so I'll probably just rent it (I get the feeling it's not really the type of game you can rent though).

I felt the same way, and picked it up on Boxing Day for $20. I absolutely adore this game. It's great. Can't see it being beaten over a rental, though.

If it helps, my understanding is the ports that came out for $30 and less are really half-assed, and they obviously don't have the stuff specific to Wii U.

Rubixcuba

Banned

Even a blowout on MK would be great at this point. Knowing what game modes, characters, tracks and how the online operates would be useful.

Missed the Rayman price drop. Just bought DarkSiders 2. Maybe I will still get it at $40, also wait for further price drops for Splinter Cell and AC 4.

Will wait for some eshop price drops but I will probably get from Amazon W101, Batman AC and maybe a 3rd game.

Pikmin 3 looks like it won´t drop so maybe pick that up on the eshop.

jakomocha

Deus Ex has come down in price some. Also do you have a PC or PS3 to play it? No, then don't sweat it. There is definitely $50 worth of content, and you will play it more than once. Give Straight Right their due and buy it digitally on the Eshop. Just saying, by standing for some silly principle, consumers told SE that they didn't want the game. Not that they weren't willing to pay more for it, no, unfortunately SE only sees that Nintendo consumers do not want those games. It's a shame they released concurrently, if they released the WiiU version in April or May for $50 it probably sells well.
Yeah, I have a PS3, 360, and Mac, which is what makes the decision so difficult for me to make. Currently on Amazon, the 360/PS3 versions sit at around $20, whereas the Wii U version is more like $35. Not sure about digital prices compared though.
I felt the same way, and picked it up on Boxing Day for $20. I absolutely adore this game. It's great. Can't see it being beaten over a rental, though.

If it helps, my understanding is the ports that came out for $30 and less are really half-assed, and they obviously don't have the stuff specific to Wii U.
The Wii U version is clearly the best, however I heard it is possible to get some of the Gamepad functionality with the Vita on PS3. I heard this feature is really broken though.

One question about the Wii U port I have was that I heard when you aim with a sniper rifle or something, the game makes you look down at the gamepad to aim rather than allowing you to look at the TV. Is this true? If so, is it really as much of a burden as it sounds?

Afair (it's been a while sicne I finished it) the tearing in Darksiders 2 gets a lot better after some time.
or maybe I just got used to it.

anyway. great game except for the
dreadful "FPS-like" earth missions

jimi_dini

Yeah, I have a PS3, 360, and Mac, which is what makes the decision so difficult for me to make. Currently on Amazon, the 360/PS3 versions sit at around $20, whereas the Wii U version is more like $35. Not sure about digital prices compared though.

In Europe PS3/360 are now 5pounds and Wii U is 10pounds.

The Wii U version is clearly the best

Yeah this. Totally worth it. I double-dipped as well (got the PS3 Non-DC and the Wii U DC)

tebunker

Banned

The Wii U version is clearly the best, however I heard it is possible to get some of the Gamepad functionality with the Vita on PS3. I heard this feature is really broken though.

One question about the Wii U port I have was that I heard when you aim with a sniper rifle or something, the game makes you look down at the gamepad to aim rather than allowing you to look at the TV. Is this true? If so, is it really as much of a burden as it sounds?

You can look at the screen but it isn't as effective as looking at the gamepad.

SuomiDude

I bought ME3 Wii U version although I hadn't played the first two. And I really recommend the game to everyone who hasn't played it (or the first two for that matters). The Wii U version gives a partially interactive comic book style intro to the first two games, and you get a decent idea what happened before. And since the actual game is so good, everyone should play it. A big positive surprise for me last year.

prag16

Banned
I bought ME3 Wii U version although I hadn't played the first two. And I really recommend the game to everyone who hasn't played it (or the first two for that matters). The Wii U version gives a partially interactive comic book style intro to the first two games, and you get a decent idea what happened before. And since the actual game is so good, everyone should play it. A big positive surprise for me last year.

It really is a good game on it's own merits. And the nonsensically insulting ass-pull of an ending will not seem as bad to someone who only played the third game, as they're likely less invested in the series.

Mass Effect (4, next, whatever) is by far my most anticipated future game.

Top Bottom