• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

What is the loot like in this game? Is it just all +crit chance or something similar? Do they roll with interesting effects or the like?

Kalnos

Banned
What is the loot like in this game? Is it just all +crit chance or something similar? Do they roll with interesting effects or the like?

I can't say for higher levels but I had some claws in the beta at like level 10 that had a chance to apply poison. So, yes, I think there are some non-standard stats.

aka_bueno

Awww yeah! I think I went from being a hater based on my first impression on one of my first beta weekends, to being one of Wildstar's biggest supporters during the open beta and now through Ops Week as I'm sure some of you have witnessed ha.

Let's get this outta the way, yes I think we all know the tutorial stage is really lackluster and not the greatest. If you really want to give the game a fair shot to impress you, get to at least 15-20 to experience the first Adventure, dungeon, housing etc. Whether you want to put in the 5 or so hours to get there (which is nothing if you're going to be playing any MMO) is up to you. Just know that 1-10 is learn-the-game-and-be-stuck-with-the-basics-hand-holding-mode unfortunately. It opens up and comes into it's own after that. You can do more fun stuff and you start getting better and more interesting combat abilities after 10 usually (like Warrior's Grapple at lvl13). 1-10 shouldn't even be that hard, I can get through 1-10 in like a 1.5 hours. 2 if I'm taking my time and doing Path missions.

To me though, the combat is worth the early level sluggishness. I love how fast and skill based it is. And the telegraphs add an extra element to the strategy. PvP feels much more strategic and puts way more emphasis on timing and aiming.

Also the game has improved a lot since the early beta weekends, especially performance. With the last week or so seeing the biggest improving patches and hotfixes. But it's still being improved cause it could be better.

I can't say for higher levels but I had some claws in the beta at like level 10 that had a chance to apply poison. So, yes, I think there are some non-standard stats.

That's good to hear. I love diablo style special proc stuff. I saw there's an imbuement system that adds effects

arimanius

I wasn't hype for this game at all but had decent fun during the open beta and now I can't wait. Think I've finally decided on a Mordesh Engineer too....or maybe a medic..or spellslinger.. Ugh..

soloscout

Neo Member
Very nice and clean OT!!! Not big on MMOs, but played the wildstar beta and really enjoyed it. Selling point for me was the combat and developers' level of engagement with its fanbase. Hoping this game is successful and keeps the upbeat community it had during the beta days.

I'm going to be horribly blunt here. The game is fun but I can't consider buying it until the optimization is better. This really bothers me considering the graphics. Everything is flat, yea it goes with the art style, and some of the later zones look cool, but in no way should this game be running as poorly as it is this late in the cycle. This becomes a problem with a big MMO. Not everyone has a computer thats only 1-2years old at max. Considering changing the graphical options does next to nothing for the frame rate, I can see this turning off more people than just me.

I will be paying attention to this thread and other forums to see how much better it gets down the road. Nice OT btw.

Honest question, when was the last time you played? They did a patch pretty late in the open beta that was a good performance boost, then the giant patch they did pre-ops week was another performance boost. Coupled with the latest nvidia drivers, many people jumped up anywhere from 30-40fps.

ShinMaruku

I hope that the CREDD system will work pretty well.

Worked for me in Tera but even that went free to play. I will play the cynic and say they will hold on the sub as long as possible but will probably switch the free to play after maybe 8-16 months of sub where they have made as much money as they can bleed from the stone then they will transition.

aka_bueno

I know that Tharp's guild is going to be on PvE server but I thought I remember someone was going to make a Dominion guild on a US PvP server, that still the case?

The OT just mentioned that Tharp's was PvE server but didn't specify the other 2. I'll click the links when I get home though if no reply.

inthrall

Looking forward to this! Going to be part of an Oceanic raiding guild, send me a pm if you are interested and I'l see what I can arrange (Exile - Widow-PvP)

Kade

Looking to see how this turns out. I'm almost done with the FFXIV content and the pre-release stuff I've seen of this is really interesting.

VWcROAV.png

^This makes the OT.

Will be playing a Chua Engineer Tank. Will be rolling with friends on the US PVP Realm.

Anyone know what the initial subscription numbers/preorder numbers are looking like?

Really interested on how this turns out. Think im going to hold off for a month or so to make sure all the launch kinks have been worked out.

Somnia

I know that Tharp's guild is going to be on PvE server but I thought I remember someone was going to make a Dominion guild on a US PvP server, that still the case?

The OT just mentioned that Tharp's was PvE server but didn't specify the other 2. I'll click the links when I get home though if no reply.

Our guild is rolling on a PVP server.

cripterion

2 questions :

Has the UI been improved and does the game have different ambient sounds?
I played the beta early and those 2 things were something that really bothered me. Game felt so lifeless, it was missing a lot of sounds.

2 questions :

Has the UI been improved and does the game have different ambient sounds?
I played the beta early and those 2 things were something that really bothered me. Game felt so lifeless, it was missing a lot of sounds.

Yeah they've added a lot of sounds, and revamped the UI. There's addon support for people who don't like the new UI as well.

Arcanine55

Neo Member
Worked for me in Tera but even that went free to play. I will play the cynic and say they will hold on the sub as long as possible but will probably switch the free to play after maybe 8-16 months of sub where they have made as much money as they can bleed from the stone then they will transition.

I don't really think so. I feel like Wildstar can be the next mmo thing, if Warhammer Online had monthly subscription until the end of his days, I don't think that Wildstar will go full free to play.

Einbroch

Banned
WildStar will also have monthly updates focusing on a core part of the game.

July: New end-game zone for solo and small group players.
August: New battleground and/or arena.
September: New raid/adventure/dungeon.
October: ???

They have, I believe, eight months of content planned and partially completed.

Laieon

I was planning on picking this up, but I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions and wasn't super impressed with the little bit of the beta that I played. I think I'm just going to wait until it's on sale sometime down the road and try it out a little bit more extensively then.

I preordered may as well play for the summer and see what its like. I liked engineer over spellslinger but I only played each to 15 as I didnt want to burn myself out. Hmmm...

Einbroch

Banned
I preordered may as well play for the summer and see what its like. I liked engineer over spellslinger but I only played each to 15 as I didnt want to burn myself out. Hmmm...
The like, polar opposite classes.

Spellslingers are super mobile healers, Engineers are the least mobile class and are tanks.

The like, polar opposite classes.

Spellslingers are super mobile healers, Engineers are the least mobile class and are tanks.

Thats what I mean I don't know what to play. Engineer was way easier to level as my spellslinger was getting 1 shot by same level mobs...maybe I will do some research. I have mainly played rogue in 7 years of WoW so I don't want a stalker. I want the closest thing to a boomkin (lol) which I am guessing is spellslinger

jbpaz

Can't decide on Spellslinger, Esper, or Warrior. Have only played Warrior in the beta and other MMOs. Someone help me decide.

Kalnos

Banned
Thats what I mean I don't know what to play. Engineer was way easier to level as my spellslinger was getting 1 shot by same level mobs...maybe I will do some research. I have mainly played rogue in 7 years of WoW so I don't want a stalker. I want the closest thing to a boomkin (lol) which I am guessing is spellslinger

Try Esper.

ShinMaruku

I don't really think so. I feel like Wildstar can be the next mmo thing, if Warhammer Online had monthly subscription until the end of his days, I don't think that Wildstar will go full free to play.

And that is why warhammer online is dead and other games still live. The next mmo thing should be like gw2 and not the standard download for free and cash shop.

Einbroch

Banned

Esper is the closest thing to a Boomkin, in my opinion.

I still don't know what race I wanna be short of being a medic. Don't know what Path, either. :O

Not if cupcakes got anything to do with it!

Awesome OP!

"Some people prefer cupcakes to muffins; I for one care less for them."

WildStar will also have monthly updates focusing on a core part of the game.

July: New end-game zone for solo and small group players.
August: New battleground and/or arena.
September: New raid/adventure/dungeon.
October: ???

They have, I believe, eight months of planned and partially completed.

Smart, smart, smart, SMART.

aett

Great OT! Just one thing: CREDD costs $19.99, not $15. Yes, it's more expensive than a month's subscription.

Top Bottom