• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Hixx

Alright maybe I will roll an Esper. I thought I heard they were really underpowered or something, then again it is beta.

I don't think it's that they're underpowered, they're just less mobile which leads to much more risk:reward style gameplay and the 'rewards' aren't high enough?

LowParry

Well here's hoping for some AMD support tomorrow with 14.6.............I think I'm kind of ready to go green with my next GPU.

Hixx

If CREDDs cost the same amount as the sub, some people would rather buy them in bulk than set up a long sub - if they get bored they can sell the CREDDs, whether for gold or real cash, so there'd always potentially be a lot of them in the economy and I don't think NCSoft/Carbine would be too happy about the latter.

It makes sense that they're a bit more expensive.

controller support?

Not officially, but there's a guide on the official forums to make it work.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/...70-ruffs-diy-controllergamepad-support-guide/

Added to the OP in the FAQ, good question.

I also made a Profile for Pinnacle: http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/24lh2a/wildstar_pinnacle_profile/

I'd love to get some feedback on it. I'm using a G13, so I won't be rolling with a controller, but I felt pretty good with what I came up with.

Somnia

If CREDDs cost the same amount as the sub, some people would rather buy them in bulk than set up a long sub - if they get bored they can sell the CREDDs, whether for gold or real cash, so there'd always potentially be a lot of them in the economy and I don't think NCSoft/Carbine would be too happy about the latter.

It makes sense that they're a bit more expensive.

CREDD's are 19.99 so they are a bit more than regular.

Einbroch

Banned
Lack of auto attack killed that game for me. Shame.

Why? Auto attack adds nothing. It's just extra numbers. And the developers of other games know there's auto attacking, so the enemy's maximum health is effected. So, it's like...there's no difference.

Sigh..I can't; I just can't. I love me some MMOs, and what I played of WS was very fun. However, just can't find the time to do it. Damn, it is very tempting, though.

RPGCrazied

Looks great, but I'll wait on the F2P model sometime in the future. Really don't want to pay for more than one MMO monthly.

Looks like they got housing right though, unlike WoW.

aka_bueno

No joke, that is one of the...if not THE... most puzzling reasons I've seen anyone not like an MMO for.

The auto-attack, like some have already mentioned, adds absolutely nothing to combat. Especially not in a skill based system like this one. But even in like WoW and others, it's like the most basic and lazy mechanics of a combat system, it's just like there and brings nothing.

LowParry

Looks great, but I'll wait on the F2P model sometime in the future. Really don't want to pay for more than one MMO monthly.

Looks like they got housing right though, unlike WoW.

I don't see this happening any time soon. I mean if it does, it's gonna be like 2 - 3 years I'd say. And when that happens, the quality of your content drops and people leave rather quickly.

Hyped beyond compare. Not rolling with GAFers, sadly, heading towards the RP realms. But I'm excited to see what kind of houses you nuts build.

No RP realms as of now btw

I'm pretty sure they said they'll have a RP realm at launch, just not a RP-PvP realm.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/...ficially-confirmed-evindra/page-2#entry488585

The community's picked one to be the 'unofficial' one should they not name on RP off the bat.

That might change, though. The names of servers that were in beta aren't guaranteed to be the names of servers for launch, according to Cougar. Though as mentioned above, there should be an officially labeled one for people that want to RP anyway.

I'm pretty sure they said they'll have a RP realm at launch, just not a RP-PvP realm.

That might change, though. The names of servers that were in beta aren't guaranteed to be the names of servers for launch, according to Cougar. Though as mentioned above, there should be an officially labeled one for people that want to RP anyway.

Sure, but if there's just one per hemisphere...name doesn't matter. :D

TheYanger

Re: the credd theory above

No. Why would they care if there are Credd's flooding the market? those are all bought and paid for subs. You buy 6 months of credd's and sell them off rather than buying the cheaper 6 month sub? Ok? they made more money. They're GLAD you did that.

That's the real reason it's more - people will buy them because it's safe and secure gold selling (I could still get a direct line from someone for cheaper, but it's a hassle and there are trust issues, etc), the market will dictate the in-game value, and the cost being higher out of game makes Carbine more money.

Example: My intention is to play the game with Credd. I'm hardcore in MMOs, and I'll make the money. Whatever market value is, I'll figure out a way to have it every month no problem. The fact that it's 5 dollars more? Makes 0 difference to me. The person selling the CREDD is simply looking to convert RL cash into in-game currency. The fact that it costs more can be reflected in the market value - their return on investment is no different. It's all upside for Carbine.

Do I think it SHOULD be 20 bucks? No, becuase I think the impression people get is that it's mildly sleazy, when realistically it makes no difference to anyone, but again: Matters not to either the buyer or the seller, so who cares.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I really wanna play this, but WoW has it's claws in me, its hard to abandon something you've invested a lot of time in.

I've learned from a few past MMOs to wait a few months before subscribing. I want the MMO to succeed, but I don't want to buy and pay for a subscription just to stare at a connection screen. The beta was also poorly optimized, a lot of people said it ran like poop on some pretty good computers too.

Conflicted. Game looks fun, I want to get in on the ground floor, but it may be poop.

Somnia

US and Dominion? And you guys are taking in GAF members, anyone else here gonna join this one? I want some GAF buddies to play with!

Yep you can go apply on our forums now. There is a 2 week trial to become a member so as long as you're active and not a prick you'll get in :)

Right now I think there's 5 or 6 gaffers either applying or already in the guild.

TheYanger

You planning on raiding? Need to find a decent streamer for watching raids.

Yeah, but no clue where yet - my plan is to roll with a few friends and just get to max level/attuned ASAP on a populated server, should be prime pickings for whatever guild can fit mys chedule. I'd just go to Voodoo if I wanted to be 'the best' but frankly, 5 nights a week is too much for me these days.

Streaming...will depend on how performance has changed. Mine actually got drastically worse during the last few betas.

I really wanna play this, but WoW has it's claws in me, its hard to abandon something you've invested a lot of time in.

I've learned from a few past MMOs to wait a few months before subscribing. I want the MMO to succeed, but I don't want to buy and pay for a subscription just to stare at a connection screen. The beta was also poorly optimized, a lot of people said it ran like poop on some pretty good computers too.

Conflicted. Game looks fun, I want to get in on the ground floor, but it may be poop.

Didn't actually play it in beta from the sounds of it? If your computer is decent I'd be shocked if it actually ran too badly to play by any stretch - even my issues are mostly with initial startup and when it's loading assets recently. I definitely don't think the game is poop in any way, the combat is fun and the classes seem at least marginally thought out in terms of how they play (Most shitty wow clones have terrible combat mechanics, this one hits a decent spot imo in terms of complexity of 'rotations'). As far as connection stuff goes that's been pretty flawless all through beta so here's hoping.

This is a game that takes a bit to sink its teeth into you though, to borrow some phrasing from Tuco over at Rerolled: "certain games with flawed combat systems only show their failures when the gameplay is hard (ESO, GW2, diablo3), but other games start to really shine (WoW, Dark souls)"...I put this firmly in the wow/dark souls camp where you appreciate what the game lets you do, only because it REQUIRES you to learn to do it. Big difference from most MMOS that never go past the tutorial baby stage of difficulty. (It's like how people think wow combat is lifeless and boring, are almost exclusively people that never did anything hard in that game, but this game throws that stuff at you at like level 20 instead of max level raids).

docbon

VWcROAV.png

I hear there is vetted scientific evidence showing a strong correlation between aurin players and pedophilia.

Ferny

I do feel like the true test of an MMOs combat system is when things get truly hard and challenging. From what I've seen of videos of Dungeons, this is firmly inline with what Yanger said.

Top Bottom