• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Ken

Is the combat "lag-friendly?" Tera was unplayable for me because of the delay on moves, but maybe that was their server location/netcode.

Is there a way I can test my ping to servers?

Einbroch

Banned
Is the combat "lag-friendly?" Tera was unplayable for me because of the delay on moves, but maybe that was their server location/netcode.

It's more lag friendly than TERA if only because the telegraphs are obvious.

I believe the servers are in Texas, if you're in the US. The responsiveness of this game is on par with WoW, something a lot of MMOs can't say. Of course, lag is lag and unavoidable.

Ferny

I don't know about lag-friendly as many of the bosses have telegraphs that are pretty sensitive to positioning and all that, but it's not as bad as say Tera or ESO, games like that.

Jijidasu

I'm running it from Japan with a ping around 90-110 and I'm having no issues in terms of accessing the server from outside the states and dodging telegraphs and so on is perfectly fine. There have been discussions on opening Oceanic servers (official/on location) post launch to accommodate the growing number of Oceanic players who are playing with pings of around 250+.

Carbine have said that during some earlier tests that players from Europe were doing end-game (raid) content with pings of 200+ and having little issue so if that says anything at all it is that you can manage, but I imagine it would be up to the person as to how fast they can react with a handicap like that.

[Edit] I previously mention in prior discussion threads that I was interested in joining the GAF guild but a few of my friends from other games have gathered up for Wildstar progression and will be on another server and so I've decided to give it a go with them for the time being. I'll be on the Oceanic PVP server Widow if it is opened, if not, the PVE side.

HowZatOZ

Banned

I've been playing across the press access, closed beta and open beta versions from Australia and my ping has been roughly 200ms from Brisbane with Telstra cable (100mbps down). While playing I found everything apart from PvP was rather "lag-free" and I never once actually "lagged" unless it was the servers being DDoS'ed ages ago.

PvP on the other hand is a bit of a different story, had to lead my attacks and roll out pretty much instantly. Raiding was also slightly the same, though a bit more forgiving.

Well here's hoping for some AMD support tomorrow with 14.6.............I think I'm kind of ready to go green with my next GPU.

it isn't all roses there either. game doesn't run on discrete mobile nvidia cards that use their "optimus" switching driver, it just runs on the intel chipset. devs have acknowledged the issue since september, haven't done anything to solve it.

Arksy

Core gameplay was decent. Combat was excellent.

The questing is the worst I've ever seen in an MMO and I've basically almost all of them.

Just the attitude bugs me. "Some people don't read quests so we're going to keep quest text down to 140 characters! Fuck world building! Fuck lore! Fuck story! Go kill 5 more useless things for reasons."

Somnia

The questing is the worst I've ever seen in an MMO and I've basically almost all of them.

Just the attitude bugs me. "Some people don't read quests so we're going to keep quest text down to 140 characters! Fuck world building! Fuck lore! Fuck story! Go kill 5 more useless things for reasons."

Except the main story lore quests/instances aren't in the game yet as they didn't want them ruined in beta.

Doesn't sound like you passed level 20.

aka_bueno

There's a few things to consider though:

1: The main world story wasn't in the beta. The world story, where you solve the mystery of Nexus and the Eldans will be in the retail game (obviously) and the first quest starts at 35 I think. This is the heavy story, cinematics and instanced story stuff. I think there's 5 of these from 35-50. Prior to 35, you'll start coming across a mysterious ghost-like NPC that will appear and disappear. Other NPCs will start to talk about who/what she is, and this will eventually lead into your first world story quest. At level cap, you will have solved the Nexus/Eldan mystery and find out about
a new threat
. Post launch content will continue the story and have you figuring out what do about that mini spoiler.

2: There are still story elements in basic leveling. Each zone has it's own main story, and they tie into everything as well. Then there's the not so essential quests within each zone that aren't as deep as the zone stories. Your quest tracker lists what's Zone story and what's not.

3: While early questing mechanics are simple and most of it can feel like generic kill/fetch quests, there is lore there if you want it. Every time you come into a new zone, you get a pretty enthusiastic voice over'd explanation of what's going on in that zone. And across each zone there are a lot of datacrons that you can find that will dive deeper into the lore if you want to listen (or read) to them.

Kalnos

Banned
I don't really understand the complaints about questing. It's seriously the same shit in every MMO I have ever played. Some MMOs try to cleverly obfuscate them, for example GW2 renown hearts, but in the end they're still the same.

mileS

Honest question, when was the last time you played? They did a patch pretty late in the open beta that was a good performance boost, then the giant patch they did pre-ops week was another performance boost. Coupled with the latest nvidia drivers, many people jumped up anywhere from 30-40fps.

I have a 5850, getting old now but it should be pulling better performance than I am. I played the beta on and off, but I'm basing my last post on the final days of beta after the patch that was supposed to make things better.

It's a shame AMD never gets as many driver updates. It can take up to 2 months sometimes for them to get their shit together. Sometimes much longer.

I have a 5850, getting old now but it should be pulling better performance than I am. I played the beta on and off, but I'm basing my last post on the final days of beta after the patch that was supposed to make things better.

It's a shame AMD never gets as many driver updates. It can take up to 2 months sometimes for them to get their shit together. Sometimes much longer.

It's a CPU hog more than anything.

I don't really understand the complaints about questing. It's seriously the same shit in every MMO I have ever played. Some MMOs try to cleverly obfuscate them, for example GW2 renown hearts, but in the end they're still the same.

WildStar hides the quest in the same was that GW2 does. It's a completion bar that fills up rather than a set number. Kill a harder big enemy and you get more completion, kill a small enemy or only do a little damage to one that another play is killing and you get less of a bar.

Doesn't sound like you passed level 20.

This right here is not an actual defense. It's my primary problem with the game too. The game simply isn't engaging in any way in the low levels. I keep hearing that "it gets better" but I've gotten bored at 10-12 every beta test I've been in so far.

I figure I'll give the game an initial month, to see if it really does get better, but it really hasn't been encouraging.

aka_bueno

WildStar hides the quest in the same was that GW2 does. It's a completion bar that fills up rather than a set number. Kill a harder big enemy and you get more completion, kill a small enemy or only do a little damage to one that another play is killing and you get less of a bar.

Lol I died cause of this once. Tried to go the fast route and kill some higher level elite by myself instead of killing many regular mobs. Wasn't the fast route...cause I died.

Dunlop

Win7 pro (64 bit)
4GB Ram
GTX560
AMD Phenom II x3 720 2.8ghz

Here are the specs of my shitty PC and I have never seen the framerate drop below 30..of course it also almost never is above 60 lol

This right here is not an actual defense. It's my primary problem with the game too. The game simply isn't engaging in any way in the low levels. I keep hearing that "it gets better" but I've gotten bored at 10-12 every beta test I've been in so far.

I figure I'll give the game an initial month, to see if it really does get better, but it really hasn't been encouraging.

So despite the fact that "it gets better" is a common refrain you are want to write the game off. Show me an MMO with great early game. Wildstar's isn't even that bad....greatly exaggerated how "poor" the first 15 levels or so are.

So despite the fact that "it gets better" is a common refrain you are want to write the game off. Show me an MMO with great early game. Wildstar's isn't even that bad....greatly exaggerated how "poor" the first 15 levels or so are.

I think the complaints mostly come from that the first 15 levels are targeting players new to the genre. They are easing people into the various mechanics and systems. This means that MMO veterans (most of us) find it rather dull. Once level 15 comes around not only do we get access to some of the selling points of the game in group content and housing, but it also takes off the training wheels and bumps up the difficulty. Carbine has said they're aware of how boring this can be for veteran players, and they intend to add in a way to skip it post-release. It's not a critical issue though because, sorry for sounding like a broken record, Carbine's data showed that few people are quitting from levels 1-15.

From Jeremy Gaffney's AMA:
a) The tutorials work well (we've focus tested the heck out of them) for folks new to MMOs, but if you've played an MMO, they are too slow paced. b) The more skilled of the player you are, the more you want things to go "off the rails" and have more abilties/etc. in combat sooner - and more difficulty. You often hear quoted "the game kicks in at level 15" (or 20).
So our answers: Just recently we added in more powerful monsters across all levels/areas. This means that a kill quest gets more interesting - kill one huge creature, or slews of easy ones? It's your choice. We're looking to let folks opt out of the arkship levels. Not sure when that will hit, but it'll help for those who are like "yeah yeah I know".
We also look at the data for when folks drop out - believe it or not (I know everyone feels like their experience is that of everyone) there isn't a HUGE amount of data support; we have really high retention levels through 10, 15, and 20. But there are some hot spots where drop rates go up (and we work on fixing those places).
Another thing we can do better: communicate all the ways you can play. If you don't like the 6-20 experience, PVP is a great option (but we don't really highlight this in the UI) Etc. etc. Some lowbie dungeons might help the hardcore too (but aren't really in the hopper per se unless we move some items around - feedback welcome).

I think the complaints mostly come from that the first 15 levels are targeting players new to the genre. They are easing people into the various mechanics and systems. This means that MMO veterans (most of us) find it rather dull. Once level 15 comes around not only do we get access to some of the selling points of the game in group content and housing, but it also takes off the training wheels and bumps up the difficulty. Carbine has said they're aware of how boring this can be for veteran players, and they intend to add in a way to skip it post-release. It's not a critical issue though because, sorry for sounding like a broken record, Carbine's data showed that few people are quitting from levels 1-15.

From Jeremy Gaffney's AMA:

I honestly don't buy that. Or Carbine is being really arrogant. I've talked to many people and seen zillions of comments on reddit, here, and other gaming sites. Everyone hates the 1-15. I've yet to see anyone like it.

Ferny

I honestly don't buy that. Or Carbine is being really arrogant. I've talked to many people and seen zillions of comments on reddit, here, and other gaming sites. Everyone hates the 1-15. I've yet to see anyone like it.

Zillions of comments? That's a lot of comments.

It's not that bad, tedious and a little dull? Sure, but there are certain things that they are trying to introduce during that time.

lexi

Banned
This game was briefly on my radar 2 years ago after seeing the CGI trailer, and then only reappeared few weeks ago when Open Beta started.

Played Open Beta and holy shit, it's like WoW 2.0 and I mean that in the most flattering way possible. It's everything I loved about wow in 2004/2005 in a modern package. I've got the deluxe edition per-ordered I'm hyped as hell.

I like it. You can no longer say that you've never seen anyone like it.

Somnia

The majority of the player base also don't post on boards.

The majority of the player base also don't post on boards.

This. Is it a revolution that we'll remember forever? No. Is it a good introduction to the mechanics and some neat set pieces? On Exile side it sure was.

Not denying you didn't like it, I'm sorry you didn't have fun!

This game was briefly on my radar 2 years ago after seeing the CGI trailer, and then only reappeared few weeks ago when Open Beta started.

Played Open Beta and holy shit, it's like WoW 2.0 and I mean that in the most flattering way possible. It's everything I loved about wow in 2004/2005 in a modern package. I've got the deluxe edition per-ordered I'm hyped as hell.

I like it. You can no longer say that you've never seen anyone like it.

I liked it.

Seriously? What is one redeeming quality of the beginning of the game? It's terribad in all aspects. UI, combat (have barely a full action bar), quests, etc.

I have the game preordered and am really excited for it, but the beginning of the game is atrocious.

Einbroch

Banned
Seriously? What is one redeeming quality of the beginning of the game? It's terribad in all aspects. UI, combat (have barely a full action bar), quests, etc.

I have the game preordered and am really excited for it, but the beginning of the game is atrocious.

Atrocious is extremely harsh and hyperbolic. It's boring. Dull. Not exciting. But atrocious? "Horrifyingly wicked"?

lexi

Banned

Well for me the art style is right up my alley. I love the world and atmosphere so I get quite a lot of enjoyment just soaking that up.

Norns

What MMOs start you with full actionbars?
Sounds like a great way to overwhelm new players.

Jarnet87

I don't think there is anything wrong with the starting area and beginning levels. The little tutorial base area can be done quickly and then they at least give a choice between two beginning leveling zones. It's not exactly great fun and it was repetitive from trying all the different classes, but there isn't much else they can do.

pyrandes

pretty great OP. been looking forward to this mmo since I saw it at PAX Prime a couple years ago. Hopefully I can get into this one a bit more than I did others over the past few years.

XenodudeX

1-15 was okay I thought. I think it really depends on which starting zone you choose though. I really didn't like the Aurin Starting zone, but loved the snowy place ( I forget the names).

TheYanger

I thought the intro was boring, and I know most other people I know thought so, but that's also not the same thing as causing us to quit (it did make me shelf the game briefly during early beta, but it also ran poorly and had headache inducing watermarks back then). It's probably totally fine to people that aren't super advanced at MMOs, then really tedious if you're an MMO vet but not enough of a junkie to have looked into the game much (those are probably the people that actually quit during it) and then picks up again as you get MORE advanced and people can look at videos and get that that's not where they're at at level 5.

1-15 was okay I thought. I think it really depends on which starting zone you choose though. I really didn't like the Aurin Starting zone, but loved the snowy place ( I forget the names).

Also true. Galeras is vastly better than the other 3 areas tbh.

Topper

I thought Age of Conan had a really great early game with tortage, but it fell off in quality towards the endgame at launch.

Can't wait to start playing wildstar had fun in the beta, played each class to about level 8 just to get an idea of mechanics and such, but didn't want to get too far into the game in the beta, still don't know which class I want to play.

docbon

oh right, forgot to tell you dudes.

I reserved the guild name gaming age force (which is the same name as the gw2 guild). if you still want to use neo empire, that's all good though.

Top Bottom