• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

TheYanger

Got that skullcano silver for attunement.

Holy fuck the timing is way too tight, though.

I think Skullcano is my favorite one. It's not so bad once you know all the mechanics reasonably, the trash is tough but you don't have to do a lot of tricky skipping or anything, and in a pinch there's still the cheesy exploit strat for the last boss (Which I abhor but if someone REALLY wants silver I understand why they'd do it).

This game is getting crushed by the high end raiding guilds. Apparently you have to get 300 partial patterns per person to attune for the 40 man.

TheYanger

Is it viable as a new player? I mean leveling/questing of course.

While you're still low level not really, you'd need to be lucky with what you managed to get.

Once you can max your gathering professions (no idea what level that requires. 35? 40?) you could join a gathering circle and easily do it in a few hours though.

You have to play pretty damn casually not to hit 50 within the first month though.

Icomp

While you're still low level not really, you'd need to be lucky with what you managed to get.

Once you can max your gathering professions (no idea what level that requires. 35? 40?) you could join a gathering circle and easily do it in a few hours though.

You have to play pretty damn casually not to hit 50 within the first month though.

I have a full-time job and a daughter every other week. So I guess it's as casual as it could get. I also just recently bought Guild Wars 2, which has been taking up alot of spare time.

Kinda wanted a game where I didn't have to pay to play, GW2 fits that perfectly, since I don't feel that urge to have to play to get my moneys worth.

Maybe I'll hold off for a while. Will try it when there's a trial available I guess.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
How viable is the C.R.E.D.D system?

Is it like a month of grinding to get a free month of grinding again?

If you take up a gathering skill and join a gathering circle it is easy to make money. You can buy a CREDD after a few hours of gathering in a good 50/50 split circle. Plus other people will mine your stuff when you are offline and you get half of what they mine. I bought 3 CREDD last week just mining stuff here and there.

friday

Are US server populations down quite a bit from release? I have been leveling another character and finding groups for elite quest can be impossible sometimes. I wonder if we are gonna see any merges in the near future?

Got my warrior to level 39 last night so I am almost on the home stretch.

Seriously considering trying this out now it has had a month or so on the market: what are the thoughts from people in the thread?

Also how is the GAF EU guild doing? I read a couple pages back about guild problems but I think that may have been a US guild. FYI, more up for PvE than PvP in mmos.

Thanks to anyone who can answer!

TheYanger

Seriously considering trying this out now it has had a month or so on the market: what are the thoughts from people in the thread?

Also how is the GAF EU guild doing? I read a couple pages back about guild problems but I think that may have been a US guild. FYI, more up for PvE than PvP in mmos.

Thanks to anyone who can answer!

Dungeons are fun but challenging, you'd want to find friends/guild to play with. I think the people that like to just run around solo or do LFR/dungeon finder are kind of done with things because they brick walled after adventures (which are easy), and pugging dungeons is not super great. Doing them with a group that is willing to wipe is a lot of fun. If you're into housing and such you'll get a lot more out of it too.

Arken2121

Alright guys, as some of you remember when a very kind dev from Carbine studios sent me some awesome swag. Ohhhhhh no, they didn't stop there. I just received THREE SIGNED copies of the game to give away. This game is amazing, the developers are truly listening and holy shit at their generosity. Just to reiterate, i'm no big-time streamer or anything like that, just a one of the little guys. Here's a photo of the copies:

4Reek2X.jpg

Alright guys, as some of you remember when a very kind dev from Carbine studios sent me some awesome swag. Ohhhhhh no, they didn't stop there. I just received THREE SIGNED copies of the game to give away. This game is amazing, the developers are truly listening and holy shit at their generosity. Just to reiterate, i'm no big-time streamer or anything like that, just a one of the little guys. Here's a photo of the copies:

So are you doing some kind of contest for the signed copies?

Kalnos

Banned
im thinking of buying this game. How is it so far? Is the community large? Is the focus on the PVP? Or what?

The focus is PvE from what I can tell, though there is a 'PvP Patch' coming out this month. My opinion:

If you like PvP then don't buy it. They botched the system heavily and the people who got gear rewards first have an extreme advantage. You're basically required to have someone with the gear 'carry' you to the rating required to get gear yourself.

If you like PvE then only buy it if you have friends/a guild to play with. It isn't friendly to pick-up groups, not even the 5 man content.

The housing is really neat but not worth a subscription (though it's easy as of right now to pay the subscription with CREDD, an in-game currency).

fader

The focus is PvE from what I can tell, though there is a 'PvP Patch' coming out this month. My opinion:

If you like PvP then don't buy it. They botched the system heavily and the people who got gear rewards first have an extreme advantage. You're basically required to have someone with the gear 'carry' you to the rating required to get gear yourself.

If you like PvE then only buy it if you have friends/a guild to play with. It isn't friendly to pick-up groups, not even the 5 man content.

The housing is really neat but not worth a subscription (though it's easy as of right now to pay the subscription with CREDD, an in-game currency).

aahhh... that sucks.... it's hard finding an MMO where you don't have to know people in advance....

Kalnos

Banned
aahhh... that sucks.... it's hard finding an MMO where you don't have to know people in advance....

Don't get the wrong idea. There are plenty of guilds recruiting, it's just that the PvE is much easier to enjoy if you're in a larger guild.

Don't get the wrong idea. There are plenty of guilds recruiting, it's just that the PvE is much easier to enjoy if you're in a larger guild.

To agree, that old pining for MORE ACTION MORE GOODER came true in this one, and spacial awareness and practice, preparation, and patience is more paramount than in alot of games (where its wanted but not needed).

Arken2121

Curious as well. Has it held up thus far?

Split it up, maybe? Two to the biggest fans/whatever and one to get a new player into the game, or something like that?

I hear you just how would someone be considered the biggest fans? I'd say this game has a solid following.

Sketchbag

Banned
Did this game die after the first month? We had around 7 people who were raid attuned and all that jazz, but man, this game just died. People stopped playing. When will people realize that tweaking the WoW formula won't give you the next WoW?

TheYanger

In the GAF guild? who knows. GAF guilds are notoriously awful for anything organized. Server still seems lively, been raiding and enjoying it. New patch is nice but I'm not big into BGs in this so it's mostly class fixes for me.

Is the game still actively played? Just wondering.
Literally nobody plays this game anymore.

Seriously, not sure what anyone expects to have answered with this kind of stuff though. Obviously it's being played.

Somnia

The game seems to still have a very healthy population and raiders are still going at it full swing. It's almost impossible to judge an MMO by GAF posting standards. Only one real MMO has blown up on GAF and that's XIV... yes GW2 did also, but it's free after being bought so its tougher to really judge that one. SWTOR still has active gaffers playing it, but it's posting is nil also.

Relatively active I think. I noticed my server was getting quieter and randoms on my FL were signed out for days at a time.

However, myself and all my friends cancelled. Carbine makes bad game design decisions. Maybe after a few more patches they get shit together.

Ichabod

Banned
I'm really hoping the population holds for a long time to come. I'm just waiting on a price drop so I can join in on the fun.

It's really active on Bloodsworn despite the "LOW" name, Illium is rather empty outside the crafter district (it helps this isn't one of THOSE MMOs), but hot areas of zones have people moving thru or fighting in them all the time. The "locust" players are definately leaving though, but I doubt it's one of those "if they only did X" things, as other devs did "X" and the swarm still buzzed away.

I'm still aghast the PvP loot thing hit, as wow...but other than that I've only had minor quibbles.

Sajjaja

How much CREDD is needed to buy a month of playtime?

Also, any sales on the base game? I might jump in but the $70 base game cost is...quite steep...

TheYanger

3/6 in GA tonight, having a ton of fun with the raids still. Phagetech Prototypes was a really good encounter. Like a hyper version of Omnotron from Blackwing Descent.

Lyng

3/6 in GA tonight, having a ton of fun with the raids still. Phagetech Prototypes was a really good encounter. Like a hyper version of Omnotron from Blackwing Descent.

Whats the minimal group of people for raids?

I have a group of friends, and we all want to jump into wildstar together.

TheYanger

Whats the minimal group of people for raids?

I have a group of friends, and we all want to jump into wildstar together.

20. If you have a group of friends that likes tough group content the dungeons at max especially getting gold medals are quite tough and rewarding, but to raid you need a guild for sure.

Lyng

20. If you have a group of friends that likes tough group content the dungeons at max especially getting gold medals are quite tough and rewarding, but to raid you need a guild for sure.

I have a group of experienced raiders and fairly hardcore gamers but we are not 20 . Shame

Nohar

So, I'm kinda interested by this game, but I'm now wary of some MMO mecanics which I really dislike, so I would like to know:
  • Is there arbitrarily locked content? That is to say, content you can only do once every week, and then you need to wait until the next week before being able to play it (ex: raid dungeons in World of Warcraft; Bahamut's Coil in FFXIV; Syrcus Tower in FFXIV (in that case, you can only get one loot per week but at least you can still do that raid with friends) ).
  • Is there content you can only access after doing a ton of daily quests? (Ex: unlocking very useful stuff after doing the same boring quests for 30 days if not more).
  • Is there a token system in this game? In FFXIV, you have one, and you can only get x tokens each week, something which I disliked.
  • Is there any ressource or thing you can only access during specific hours? (ex: in FFXIV, you can only gather some rare materials every hour at a given spot).
  • I love crafting, and I love to participate in a thriving market. Is the crafting in Wildstar interesting, fun and useful (even and especially for the end-game), or is it something which gets suddenly useless once you reach end-game content or only useful for glamour options?
  • I'm interested by the C.R.E.D.D system. Can you give me a rough estimation of how many hours are necessary to obtain the gold (platinum? Gil? Mira? Shiny object?) necessary to buy one? I'd like to not pay a mensual fee if I can avoid it.
  • I love support/healing classes (though I'm not a fan of Tanking). Among the classes of Wildstar, which one would you advise me to try?
  • Well, one of the most important question: do you consider the game fun? Do you have issues with some aspects of the game? How often do they add new content to the game?
  • It seems that there are guest passes. I would be interested by a EU one if possible please.
Thank you very much for reading me, and I'm looking forward your answers.

TheYanger

So, I'm kinda interested by this game, but I'm now wary of some MMO mecanics which I really dislike, so I would like to know:
  • Is there arbitrarily locked content? That is to say, content you can only do once every week, and then you need to wait until the next week before being able to play it (ex: raid dungeons in World of Warcraft; Bahamut's Coil in FFXIV; Syrcus Tower in FFXIV (in that case, you can only get one loot per week but at least you can still do that raid with friends) ).
    Raids have lockouts. You're not going to find games that don't have that. Dungeons and stuff don't.
  • Is there content you can only access after doing a ton of daily quests? (Ex: unlocking very useful stuff after doing the same boring quests for 30 days if not more).
    I mean, there's equipment, you don't really need from some reps? They're a good source of income. But, nothing super important behind any grinds no.
  • Is there a token system in this game? In FFXIV, you have one, and you can only get x tokens each week, something which I disliked.
    Yep, though it's tied to experience. Once you're at level cap any XP you get converts into gems until you cap out per week, and then it turns into money. So you don't have to do anything specific to earn them, but you do have to do 'stuff' that gets you experience (IE dungeons, quests, whatever)
  • Is there any ressource or thing you can only access during specific hours? (ex: in FFXIV, you can only gather some rare materials every hour at a given spot).
    No. That would be ridiculous.
  • I love crafting, and I love to participate in a thriving market. Is the crafting in Wildstar interesting, fun and useful (even and especially for the end-game), or is it something which gets suddenly useless once you reach end-game content or only useful for glamour options?
    If anything, Crafting is TOO good right now, a lot of the best gear anyone is ever going to see is crafted atm, it's going to be fixed. Depending on what happens who knows, I expect it will remain not as good as raid gear but probably vastly better than non-raid gear.
  • I'm interested by the C.R.E.D.D system. Can you give me a rough estimation of how many hours are necessary to obtain the gold (platinum? Gil? Mira? Shiny object?) necessary to buy one? I'd like to not pay a mensual fee if I can avoid it.
    I stopped farming for them because it's just too easy. It's based on supply and demand obviously, and servers are different, but on my server I can still get one every couple days if I felt like it.
  • I love support/healing classes (though I'm not a fan of Tanking). Among the classes of Wildstar, which one would you advise me to try?
    Well, half of the classes can heal, and the playstyles are pretty different. Not much to go off of here. One is more melee ranged and has EVERY heal as a cone or otherwise something you aim at people, the other two are slightly longer ranged and have mixes of easy to target stuff and things you need to aim.
  • Well, one of the most important question: do you consider the game fun? Do you have issues with some aspects of the game? How often do they add new content to the game?
    It's fun, it has memory leaks still which means I need to restart it every 5-6 hours. It can be really hard to get into as a newbie, and you have to be willing to learn to get anywhere in dungeons and onward. Watch some videos. New content is monthly, thusfar they've delivered the first two patches on time and the third is on the ptr already
  • It seems that there are guest passes. I would be interested by a EU one if possible please.
Thank you very much for reading me, and I'm looking forward your answers.

Hope those help. If you're looking for something vastly different than FF14 or WoW style, which it sounds like you may be, you're probably barking up the wrong tree, but who knows. The combat is really what sets this apart.

Nohar

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions!
@Raids: Meh. I really hate that kind of restrictions. Oh well... Are there multiple raids available in the same week? Now that I think about it, how many people are needed for those raids? Are we talking about 8, 16, 24, 40 people?
@Daily quests: Well, at least nothing seems necessary, which is good enough for me.
@Token: As long as we don't have to do something in particular, I'm fine with it.
@Ressource: Thank. God. I really loathed that thing in FFXIV.
@Crafting: Oooooh yes. Well, things are going to change, but at least it seems useful.
@C.R.E.D.D: Nice.
@Classes: Well, that's interesting. I guess I'll need to try them all.

And yeah, I'm really trying to find something vastly different from FFXIV (I really disagree with some of the design choices - good ideas, terrible execution). I guess I should at least give it a try.

Top Bottom