• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Sega's dev teams keep their respective brand names?

MAZYORA

Since Sega-Sammy consolidated all of the Sega dev teams under one roof, will each team still keep their respective brand names?

jarrod

Banned
I'm guessing so, but Sega hasn't been real clear on exactly how they're going about the reintergration. We don't know if the teams will even be remaining seperate (like Nintendo) or amassing into one giant pool (like Namco).

I was under the impression that all groups would loose their names, but thus far that hasn't happened. Perhaps they quietly had a change of mind.

Sega...How the word bothers me. Sega has sunk so much...Even since the beginning of this generation, things just get worse and worse for Sega. I can't even see a game that they are making right now, that I want.

ToyMachine228 said:
Sega...How the word bothers me. Sega has sunk so much...Even since the beginning of this generation, things just get worse and worse for Sega. I can't even see a game that they are making right now, that I want.

Funnily enough I'm quite looking forward to a fair amount of Sega's lineup. Not in the same way I'd look forward to a new NiGHTS or SoA or stuff of that ilk but still.

Outrun2's the obvious one, and PSU whatever it turns out to be. Shining Tears looks lovely and Blood Will Tell seems to be getting some decent previews (along the lines of more than the sum of its parts) and I think it looks fun. Spikeout, I don't get the hate on this one. First screens were bad but it looks okay in motion, and 16 players over Live is promising. And if I keep my expectations low then I think Altered Beast and VFQ will be entertaining enough.

Ill Saint

Blood Will Tell seconded. There's Shining Force PS2 to look forward to, as well as the other just anounced Shining game. TGS should yield some excitement which was lacking at E3.

Might pick up Astro Boy on GBA...And Shenmue Online is cool...Maybe I'll even try out The Matrix Online...But Sega seems so different now this gen, than they did at the beginning of the gen, when they were putting out stuff like Jet Set Radio Future, Billy Hatcher, PSO I+II, Panzer Dragoon Orta...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
ToyMachine228 said:
Might pick up Astro Boy on GBA...
That game is quite good and worth a purchase, however I think the majority of the game was handled by Teasure themselves and not Sega.

ToyMachine228 said:
Might pick up Astro Boy on GBA...And Shenmue Online is cool...Maybe I'll even try out The Matrix Online...But Sega seems so different now this gen, than they did at the beginning of the gen, when they were putting out stuff like Jet Set Radio Future, Billy Hatcher, PSO I+II, Panzer Dragoon Orta...

I think that's the first time since its release that I've seen someone speak of BH in a non-derisory fashion. I think a lot of the restructuring has had a negative effect on Sega's productivity. They've been spun out into separate teams, that were then made separate companies, then brought back under the Sega umbrella again, then some teams merged with each other and now they've all merged together. Hopefully this more recent one is the last and they can get settled again. And hopefully the idea that all the teams now will be sharing their experience will come to fruition.

Oh and those who read EDGE will know, but apparantly Nagochi has a new game that was going to be shown at E3 but that he decided against revealing it at the last minute. Apparantly he felt the marketing people didn't have the right idea about the game and would have misrepresented his ideas about it.

MAZYORA

TekunoRobby said:
That game is quite good and worth a purchase, however I think the majority of the game was handled by Teasure themselves and not Sega.

Actually, Astroboy was created by H!tmaker, and is directed by them too, Treasure developed it for them similar to how genki handled Daytona for AV.

jarrod

Banned
MAZYORA said:
Actually, Astroboy was created by H!tmaker, and is directed by them too, Treasure developed it for them similar to how genki handled Daytona for AV.
Actually, Omega Factor was directed by Treasure's Yaiman iirc, from what I understand Himaker's involvement was pretty much limited to funding, some testing, general support, selecting Treasure and slapping their name on it. Kinda like Nintendo R&D1 with Sin & Punishment... both games are thouroughly Treasure products when you look at who did what.

Top Bottom