• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

neshcom

Banned
Used W10 the other day on a work computer and it's really sharp and clean, but is there anything to do about it being impossible to tell what your active window is?

Insiders now have that option, so it will hit mainstream users later on.

Another cumulative update and they still can't fix this 2 pixel issue in the action center.
DHwDImh.png

Komo

Banned
- Can't use Start Menu search (OEM or third-party) due to indexing issues
- Grand Theft Auto III audio no longer works (I can't live without my precious GTA 3 <-<)
- Startup applications won't boot
- The final straw; Audio drivers briefly freezing occasionally

Good bye for now, Windows 10.

You're cool and all, but I can't be bothered to do a fresh install to fix all these issues. :(

I'll be back when I have a new CPU.

clav

Some impressions about 10525:

1. Uninstalling apps from the start menu is visually quicker (gui disappears instantly).
2. Edge's HTML5 score improved.

E0Dglp9.png

3. Drawing/rendering some boxes are a little flaky. I see white tables of where spaces are filled correctly after a 1/2 second when new menus/apps appear.

Some impressions about 10525:

3. Drawing/rendering some boxes are a little flaky. I see white tables of where spaces are filled correctly after a 1/2 second when new menus/apps appear.

That happens on the newest mobile build too. I think it's already mentioned, but these kinda of bugs being the same do show how much close the two versions are.

Mr_Zombie

Ok so... is there a way to bring back the white titlebar after the 10525 update? Colored titlebar looks really weird (and ugly) in Windows 10 :/ In Win8 you had a thick colored border around the window and it looked fine; here the whole window is white and suddenly - a colored titlebar that looks completely out of place. Not to mention, the color on the titlebar isn't even the same color you chose in settings.

Oh

original.jpg

I came across this.

Any chance the actual universal file explorer looks even remotely like this? Pretty please?

This looks like a really oldschool OS. I have mixed feelings about this.

Does anyone have the problem with multiple monitors where your cursor gets stuck in the corners between each monitor? How do you turn this off? Who thought this would be a good idea? Dragging windows between monitors is now so frustrating.

vazel

Banned
Does anyone have the problem with multiple monitors where your cursor gets stuck in the corners between each monitor? How do you turn this off? Who thought this would be a good idea? Dragging windows between monitors is now so frustrating.
That was done to make snapping windows to the side easier. It only happens when you're moving your cursor slowly. When dragging windows between monitors move your cursor faster or use the keyboard shortcut(winkey+shift+arrow keys).

I thought the new store was supposed to filter items you already own.

How come 99% of featured apps and games are either installed or owned by me?

Ok so... is there a way to bring back the white titlebar after the 10525 update? Colored titlebar looks really weird (and ugly) in Windows 10 :/ In Win8 you had a thick colored border around the window and it looked fine; here the whole window is white and suddenly - a colored titlebar that looks completely out of place. Not to mention, the color on the titlebar isn't even the same color you chose in settings.

This looks like a really oldschool OS. I have mixed feelings about this.

I think it's perfect, imo how should universal apps versions of well known desktop apps be with similar UI and functionality and large targets for touch (though a tablet mode with some options streamlined and even bigger targets could be good too).

The new office apps are not very far off to this concept, so there's hope.

Oh

original.jpg

I came across this.

Any chance the actual universal file explorer looks even remotely like this? Pretty please?

This is what I was expecting when I installed Windows 10. Otherwise, the whole convergence OS thing isn't cool if every system app has a different theme and I don't have a touch-optimized file explorer on a Windows tablet.

so i noticed after i upgraded that it seems like some devices stay "on" even when the pc is off. like my mouse and headphones that have lights on when pc is on stays on when the pc is off.

is there a setting to prevent that?

Tornhelm

Neo Member
so i noticed after i upgraded that it seems like some devices stay "on" even when the pc is off. like my mouse and headphones that have lights on when pc is on stays on when the pc is off.

is there a setting to prevent that?

Sounds like a hibernate/sleep issue possibly. Does your computer turn back on when the mouse is used while it's "off"?

I restored to default, but my sp3 still won't find 10525 to update. I even tried the registry trick of changing the branch string, but it always change back to th2_release.

And it's very weird how much windows changed with a clean install. Before whenever I touched an input field, tablet mode or not the virtual keyboard would appear. But some apps, like Edge, wouldn't adjust the contents to make room for the keyboard. Now it only ever shows up in tablet mode, but almost every app is adjusted to make room for it.

The weird thing is that sometime during the preview I had done a clean install too, I guess there was some leftovers coming from preview to final...

Great, I reverted to 8.1 just to upgrade to 10 again and now not only it still won't give me the new inside build, the fucking settings syncing isn't working. The sp3 is not syncing my passwords nor my WiFi networks, or my language settings.

Klocker

I restored to default, but my sp3 still won't find 10525 to update. I even tried the registry trick of changing the branch string, but it always change back to th2_release.

And it's very weird how much windows changed with a clean install. Before whenever I touched an input field, tablet mode or not the virtual keyboard would appear. But some apps, like Edge, wouldn't adjust the contents to make room for the keyboard. Now it only ever shows up in tablet mode, but almost every app is adjusted to make room for it.

The weird thing is that sometime during the preview I had done a clean install too, I guess there was some leftovers coming from preview to final...

check your keyboard settings... there is a box to check to allow virtual keyboard when not in tablet mode

Does anyone else get a page cannot be displayed error 400 when posting on forums? It errors out everytime, I go back, resubmit the post and it goes through. This happens on edge and ie11. It happens on other sites too, not just here.

derFeef

Still cant install W10 on my desktop due to the boot-loop bug during installation. I don't want to try clean install because it's maybe a hardware issue and then I am sitting here with nothing... ugh.

Klocker

Still cant install W10 on my desktop due to the boot-loop bug during installation. I don't want to try clean install because it's maybe a hardware issue and then I am sitting here with nothing... ugh.
I wonder if it is the same issue folks were having with win 10 update boot loop?
That was related to a registry entry for deleted users.

I had that issue when I was doing a clean install. Would finish the whole process (formatted drive and all), then say it was restarting. However, once it restarted, it started the entire process over. I got scared because my hard drive was fomatted.

I went to a different computer, formatted my bootable USB drive, and put a new version of the install file on it. Went back and tried again about 3 hours later, and it worked!

Sydle

Just got this and I'm liking pretty much everything except the absence of smart files. Did I miss something in the initial setup, or are they hidden in the one drive file explorer settings?

I also find I can't drag and drop to OneDrive via a web browser, but when I create a new music folder it tells me I can. Am confused.

Any help is appreciated.

Elija2

Just got this and I'm liking pretty much everything except the absence of smart files. Did I miss something in the initial setup, or are they hidden in the one drive file explorer settings?

Nope, they removed smart files in Windows 10. Such a stupid decision, I hope they bring it back in the next major update.

Klocker

allegedly people who traveled were often confused or disappointed to find that their smart files weren't actually on their computer when they got somewhere off the web.

so files were smart, people not so much.

I read here that One Drive is being reworked I hope it comes back

derFeef

I had that issue when I was doing a clean install. Would finish the whole process (formatted drive and all), then say it was restarting. However, once it restarted, it started the entire process over. I got scared because my hard drive was fomatted.

I went to a different computer, formatted my bootable USB drive, and put a new version of the install file on it. Went back and tried again about 3 hours later, and it worked!

I tried via USB, ISO and update... :-(

derFeef

maybe a stupid question ...but, have you tried unplugging all non essential devices first and going bare bones with default bios settings? and updated bios firmware maybe?

Yup, tried all the suggestions, even unplugged hhd's.
And the latest bios for my MB is almost 2 years old now ;) Like I said, maybe it works with clean install, but I fear not...

Conan-san

So, field report from installing an SSD into my Laptop.

Did not know that Samsung's Data Migration was not "A thing" for Win 10 so about an hour was spent cussing at the heavens for that one before dumpign the whole stupid plan I had in mind (Install SDD in HDD Caddy, Migrate data, swap drives around) for a fresh install which I probably should have done anyway.

Besides that and some stupidity with Disk Drive types (So why is Win 10 having a bitch fit about MBRs?) Win 10 installed pretty quickly and even ported over my licence (without the old HDD in the system) with saved some headaches.

Not had as much luck finding the Toshiba dohicky that tells me the fan activity and heat which I actauly liked but that's more of an annoyance than an "Oh god my Laptop is going to explode" thing.

The jump from HDD to SSD is amazing and I never thought a laptop could be this quick.

Are scheduled defrags not occurring for anyone else?

Since I installed Windows 10 (the week it came out) it's been set to defrag weekly... yet it hasn't.

Today I go and look and it says "Never ran" or something similar. I then clicked analyze and one drive was 10% fragmented, why hasn't it analyzed + defragged it then? I had to do it manually.

Top Bottom