• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

Oh is there a way to get the photo tile to showics from skydrive? I don't like to store my pictures on my hard drive, but I like the tile.

nillapuddin

what in the actual fuck.
upgrading from 8.1 beta to 8.1 final
must reinstall every program on my computer.

I had these programs for fucking years.
consider me infuriated beyond comprehension.

no back ups, no anything. fuck this fucking shit.

PriitV

what in the actual fuck.

But you knew that before installing the preview.. That's why I and many others stayed away from the preview builds.

Quick

Banned
what in the actual fuck.

But you knew that before installing the preview.. That's why I and many others stayed away from the preview builds.

Alternatively, that's why you install preview/beta software to a separate machine or partition to keep it away from your important stuff.

I won't say it's bad, but I am surprised by the amount of people who use IE in this thread.

As it's been mentioned, IE11 forces Google into compatibility mode or something.

Well, I was a purely Firefox man who dabbled with Chrome on and off, but would keep coming back to Firefox. I thought IE 9 had some nice speed with some compatibilities I enjoyed, but there were some annoying bugs that made it unusable. As of Win 8 and IE 10, I legitimately from use of various browsers came to believe that IE 10 was the best browser there was on Win 8, and I still believe that. IE 11 is actually notably faster than IE 10 with what I expect is the same level of overall quality as IE 10. So, my conversion to IE wasn't an easy one, but I think the quality is finally there.

However, this silly google thing is really annoying the crap out of me.

Seems I may have found a fix. I'm going to try it now.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/using-ie11-windows-81-google-may-be-broken-you

This is what google looks like for me.

googlebroken.png

Update: This fix worked for the Google problems in Windows 8.1

Update: We have a fix. Whilst in IE11, press ALT+X, navigate to Compatibility View Settings and uncheck 'Use Microsoft compatibility lists'.

nillapuddin

If I had known about it, I would have done a full backup last night, I was unfortunately very unaware of this. I kept all of my programs updating from Win 7 to Win 8, thought nothing of it moving from 8 to 8.1 beta, and now this.

Consider me blind sided.

MarkusRJR

I can't seem to install 8.1 on my Surface RT. I've tried using the Windows Update application but it ended up saying I was up to date. I'm in Canada if that matters at all.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
what in the actual fuck.

microsoft warned people about that when installing the preview.
I can't seem to install 8.1 on my Surface RT. I've tried using the Windows Update application but it ended up saying I was up to date. I'm in Canada if that matters at all.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-rt/windows-rt-81-update-temporarily-unavailable

Here's my situation, I'd like to just buy the full version of Win 8.1 core (I'd rather have a full transferable license than an OEM or upgrade license) and I currently have Win 7 installed. I'd like to go the 7->8->8.1 upgrade route so I can try and upgrade without reinstalling all my applications. Is it possible to upgrade to win 8 from 7 without a key just long enough to then upgrade to a fully licensed Win 8.1?

nillapuddin

microsoft warned people about that when installing the preview.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-rt/windows-rt-81-update-temporarily-unavailable

...These people didnt seem to have that problem

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and then to 8.1 last night, and from what I can tell, all my Steam games made the transition without any problems. I haven't tried every single one of my Steam games, though, but the ones that I have played - they all work and are still there.

Back when I went from Windows 7 > Windows 8 I didn't have to re-install anything whatsoever, every single program/game and setting carried over seamlessly.

cilonen

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and then to 8.1 last night, and from what I can tell, all my Steam games made the transition without any problems. I haven't tried every single one of my Steam games, though, but the ones that I have played - they all work and are still there.

Mine on the other hand, did not. I even had a vanilla (no mods or changes) backup of all local content and it went wrong with most of my games not launching with the 'missing executable' error in Steam.

nillapuddin

they were not using the preview

8 to 8.1 works fine.

8.1 Preview to 8.1, you have to reinstall everything. I went from preview to rtm and had to do the same thing.

fuck my fucking life.

I really wish there would have been a splash screen or something last night, cause I would have stopped and backed everything up, instead of waking up this morning to pure and utter disappointment.

Im talking, 100+ gigs of games and programs.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
fuck my fucking life.

I really wish there would have been a splash screen or something last night, cause I would have stopped and backed everything up, instead of waking up this morning to pure and utter disappointment.

/shrug. there were warnings on the preview download page and it has been known for months. Risk you take when using pre-release software. And if I remember correctly there was a pop up when installing 8.1 that said you will have to reinstall all of your applications.

DarkFlow

Banned
fuck my fucking life.

This is why you don't fuck around with beta software if you're not prepared to lose everything.

Joezie

8 to 8.1 went rather smoothly for me.

8.1 hated Previous security essentials so I had to damn near go into the registry before the installation(Neither Revo nor Windows gave an uninstall option), but eventually solved the problem more conventionally.

Only things I lost in the transition were Avast and Comodo.
Comodo cites incompatibility and Avast just had to be re-downloaded.

Other than that, I just had to rebuild my index. Now everything works fine, though searches are a tiny tad slower, but not so much to be annoying.

Keyouta

what in the actual fuck.

You went from 8 to 8.1 beta? That's your fault, you should very well know that's what preview builds are like. When people install them it's usually to a seperate partition.

Beta to Final, nothing stays. It's been like that for fucking years.

Edit: Yeah, it sucks you didn't know, but I suppose next time you'll do a good read over of what you're installing. At least it's 100+ gigs of data and presumably not in the thousands.

what in the actual fuck.

I upgraded from preview 8.1 to final with no issues although of course it does involve a workaround of a sort. Will edit in details in a second.

Edit: Just realized it seems like you already did this, bummer :/

Copied from Major's quoting of the poster below
Originally Posted by Bony Manifesto

Okay, so I was thinking about this, and thought 'hmm, if these two installers tread on each others toes like that, perhaps I can use it to my advantage'. So basically, I figured out how to trick it into authenticating the download for 8, but downloading the iso for 8.1.

1. Download both the 8 and the 8.1 installers from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...oduct-key-only

2. (Possibly optional, but it's what I did) Run the 8.1 one, let it go through it's initial setup, and close it once it asks for a key.

3. Run the 8 one, enter your legitimate Windows 8 key, and proceed until you reach the point where it starts downloading.

4. Immediately close the 8 installer and run the 8.1 one again. It should skip past the authentication stuff and go straight to the download process.

5. It should download the 8.1 iso, which you can install at your leisure. The only slight problem is that you can't use your 8 key to install it, so you'll have to use a default key to install (see below) and change it to your legitimate one once you get into Windows.

Default 8.1 keys courtesy of Xyphie's post:
Core: 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Professional: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB
---
I make no guarantees, but this worked for me and I've just successfully installed and activated a clean install of 8.1 with an 8 key.

The only thing you have to do is create a bootable disk for the 8.1 iso you can acquire via the method above, go into the source folder, and change the host build info to the preview build's number. You can then upgrade via the method described above. Takes 20 minutes if that.
Guide I followed: here

Is there anyway to use SkyDrive as a backup service?

I mean, I want to still have my files in my drive, but I also want them to be in the cloud.

Do I have to make a copy of all my files and then move them to Skydrive (because moving them to Skydrive will delete them from my drive)

Also, my Store and Music app doesn't work, Store closes after opening, and Music won't load after the Music's app logo. =/

I ran "sfc /scannow" just a few minutes ago, and surprisingly it said there was no errors. When I installed windows 8 a few months ago, it did said there was some missing files and that I had to insert the instalation disc, (that I do have) but since my disc drives doesn't work at all, I wasn't able to do anything (The disc drive is build-in my laptop, so I would have to dismount everything, It's way more easy to just remove my hdd and connect it to another PC with a working disc drive and then reinstalll Windows 8, from scratch if possible, I have yet to find someone who will let me use his PC to do that, lol.

Is there anyway to use SkyDrive as a backup service?

I mean, I want to still have my files in my drive, but I also want them to be in the cloud.

Do I have to make a copy of all my files and then move them to Skydrive (because moving them to Skydrive will delete them from my drive)

Also, my Store and Music app doesn't work, Store closes after opening, and Music won't load after the Music's app logo. =/

I ran "sfc /scannow" just a few minutes ago, and surprisingly it said there was no errors. When I installed windows 8 a few months ago, it did said there was some missing files and that I had to insert the instalation disc, (that I do have) but since my disc drives doesn't work at all, I wasn't able to do anything (The disc drive is build-in my laptop, so I would have to dismount everything, It's way more easy to just remove my hdd and connect it to another PC with a working disc drive and then reinstalll Windows 8, from scratch if possible, I have yet to find someone who will let me use his PC to do that, lol.
On Skydrive: there is a setting either in the metro app or in PC settings to make Skydrive files available offline. That should let you do what you're wanting.

I had the app closing issue with regular Windows 8 off and on, I couldn't figure out what made it behave that way, but it sorted itself out eventually. That doesn't help your situation, but. :/

zedge

So they still havent fixed the issue with xbox music and steam.

If I go into xbox music, start something, then go back out the sound drops by more than half. if I go to desktop and completely exit steam it no longer does this... sigh. Been this way since W8 launched.

On Skydrive: there is a setting either in the metro app or in PC settings to make Skydrive files available offline. That should let you do what you're wanting.

I had the app closing issue with regular Windows 8 off and on, I couldn't figure out what made it behave that way, but it sorted itself out eventually. That doesn't help your situation, but. :/

Thanks, that's what I wanted.

Mmm, maybe restoring will fix that issue? (The option without affecting your files)

I'll try that this night, because that takes between 30 minutes and 1 hour, I think.

Edit: Also, this update (8.1) fixed my issue with camera app. (It didn't worked, but now it does).

Gotchaye

All of my Steam games are launching in 3D now, with red/blue shadows that I have to turn off with ctrl+t, and I don't see anything in the Nvidia control panel to disable that. And they launch on the wrong monitor. Also this seems to have broken Netflix, which was the only Windows 8 app I was using. Not terribly impressed so far.

solarus

All of my Steam games are launching in 3D now, with red/blue shadows that I have to turn off with ctrl+t, and I don't see anything in the Nvidia control panel to disable that. And they launch on the wrong monitor. Also this seems to have broken Netflix, which was the only Windows 8 app I was using. Not terribly impressed so far.
I had the same problem, downloading drivers specifically for 8.1 from nvidia fixed the problem.
Update has been perfect for me, loving the boot to desktop.

Quick

Banned

Had that same 3D issue happen to me.

I went to the NVIDIA Control Panel, clicked "Set up stereoscopic 3D" under "Stereoscopic 3D" and just deselected "Enable stereoscopic 3D" and it fixed the issue.

Gotchaye

Had that same 3D issue happen to me.

I went to the NVIDIA Control Panel, clicked "Set up stereoscopic 3D" under "Stereoscopic 3D" and just deselected "Enable stereoscopic 3D" and it fixed the issue.

This is what googling around suggested for getting rid of the 3D in general, but I don't see anything like that in the "3D Settings" tree. None of the settings seem to have anything to do with 3D, as such. Looking at manually reinstalling drivers as solarus suggested. Edit: That fixed my games issues, and now I have a Stereoscopic 3D tree in the control panel.

Sylver

Banned
Upgraded from 8 to 8.1 no problems.
Nice to see Defeault Programs editor still works with the update.
The main problem I see is pretty hard to deal with Apps if you want to customize your "Open With" without uninstall them. "openwith" can be in more than three different places on your windows reg.

I used the 8.1 preview on both my systems knowing full well I'd have to reinstall everything once 8.1 rtm hit the streets. Up to this point I've been very pleased with the improved usability of snap and desktop usability.

Reinstalling 8, downloading all updates, then downloading 8.1 through the store and finally going through the upgrade process wasn't too bad although a it was bit covoluted. Since Vista I keep all my user files on a separate partition and just link the appropriate folders to their libraries and I'm good to go. It makes full os reinstalls a lot easier.

I was pleased to find my original desktop settings wallpaper and language options were auto configured after enerting my Microsoft email. That's a pretty nifty feature and saved me a ton of time.

My only gripe is why Microsoft has decided to not release an official public method for just downloading a full 8.1 image file? It would've been useful to be able to skip all the upgrade nonsense for people who use the beta builds or system managers that have many systems they need to upgrade at once. It just seems like an extra unnecessary added step from past os releases from Microsoft. As far as I know 8 keys don't work on 8.1 install media without some tinkering. I feel bad for any bandwidth crippled users with multiple systems...

All in all the 8.1 is much closer to what 8 should've been a year ago at release. I hope the next update brings even more goodies to legacy users. You can have both touch and desktop environments without comprising either.

niunhuiio

A little off-topic but Where can I find drivers for AMD Radeon HD 7730M?

WIndows 8.1 destroyed Catalyst Control Center. I used the tool from AMD that removes every AMD driver from the computer and it also took down Intel HD.This is a laptop with integrated graphics.

G_Berry

Banned
Ever since the update, IE on my surface tab is acting all screwy.

GAF for example, it won't load avatars and most peoples post that have images are blocked or just show an x.

Before, it couldn't find YouTube.com or bing.com lol.

Resetting back to defaults just made it worse.

Everdred

So they still havent fixed the issue with xbox music and steam.

If I go into xbox music, start something, then go back out the sound drops by more than half. if I go to desktop and completely exit steam it no longer does this... sigh. Been this way since W8 launched.

Have you tried this:
communications-tab.png

Nokterian

Getting this damn error every single time on my desktop.

Sorry we couldn't complete the update to Windows 8.1.
We restored your previous version of Windows to this PC
0xC1900101 - 0x20017

And i still wonder why it was a decision to put it up on the windows store and not do it like a Windows Update smh.

My laptop (Sony VAIO) has been stuck on the "gathering info" screen on the windows store for an entire day now. How can I fix this? What gives?

I don't want to restart the computer if it's going to reset the whole process. Is there smething I could have missed?

G_Berry

Banned
Also with IE, when I click a link and it goes to open in a new tab, it opens the tab, loads for two seconds and just sits there blank doing nothing.

WTF MS???

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Did in-place upgrade from 7 to 8 on friday, and 8 to 8.1 today. Mostly smooth sailing, and I'm really liking it.

A little off-topic but Where can I find drivers for AMD Radeon HD 7730M?

WIndows 8.1 destroyed Catalyst Control Center. I used the tool from AMD that removes every AMD driver from the computer and it also took down Intel HD.This is a laptop with integrated graphics.
Go to your laptop/s brand support website and check for drivers there (since I assume you have Enduro).
Otherwise get the latest from AMD's website.

SPDIF

Also with IE, when I click a link and it goes to open in a new tab, it opens the tab, loads for two seconds and just sits there blank doing nothing.

WTF MS???

Yeah this seems to be a recurring problem. It usually only affects links on GAF though. I'm assuming that's where your problem is too, or were you on a different site?

Branduil

I wish someone had told me this was going to take 500000000 hours to install. I mean holy crap, what is wrong with you Microsoft.

I wish someone had told me this was going to take 500000000 hours to install. I mean holy crap, what is wrong with you Microsoft.

Are you still stuck staring at a green bar in the windows store? Because I have been for 1.5 days... How much damn info are they gathering?

SPDIF

Kind of off-topic but I don't think this is new thread worthy. Anyway this seems to be the closest we're going to get to actual confirmation of Windows 8 apps being able to run on the XB1. MS have given pretty obvious hints in the past to this being the case, but I don't think they've actually confirmed it yet.

Judging from this it seems that Dell may have done it for them:

XKja.jpg

Obviously they may be completely wrong but I thought I'd post it regardless. If true, I wonder if this will have any affect on the number and/or quality of apps that will come to the store.

Just saw it on Neowin

Top Bottom