• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

I'm experiencing the Google thing as well, but that's just since today. Had no problems with Google right after installing 8.1, but now it's fucked up.

Yes, exactly what I have. Yesterday Google Search worked fine on Windows 8.1 (although in an "old" layout, with the search tools on the right), but today the layout is completely messed up.

Nander

The hardware buttons on my Surface Pro (i.e. Windows button and volume buttons) stopped working after I updated to 8.1. Anyone else experiencing this?

There were not really a lot of compatibility problems, but you will always have those with a limited amount of software.

I found it worth upgrading to win 8 with the introductory pricing of $30, now, unless you can find it cheap I cannot really recommend it yet.

i wish they'd sell it for cheap again.. would totally buy an upgrade for my laptop too

cchum

Just went through Lenovo's driver store downloading everything, and it's fixed most of the issues.

Now I'm unsure if I should reinstall or not.

The hardware buttons on my Surface Pro (i.e. Windows button and volume buttons) stopped working after I updated to 8.1. Anyone else experiencing this?

No.

But something else: so I can't snap three apps on my surface, because the screen is to small? Disappointing! Or is there a fix for tha

The Cowboy

My update went well, I think the improvements are nice. I am having an issue with Google though... If I search for anything, the results are displayed in a very narrow, vertical way. I get one word per line. It's strange. Anyone know how to fix it?

*This is what is looks like:

This is happening to me as well now. It was fine last night and yet today all of a sudden both the modern UI version and desktop version are doing this with goggle.

Leaving a UI element in place but changing what is does is annoying. If I right-click on the Start screen and hit that 'Customise' button just one more time.......I swear I'll.......

The Cowboy

Fixed the google display issue, it seems MS messed up on their end and did something with their compatibility view list option (the MS side one).

Go into tools (the cog icon) and select "compatibility view settings", then untick the "use Microsoft compatibility list".
---
You can still add your own if you need to, but MS seems to have added google wrong on their list.

derFeef

Uh, another weird thing. Disabling spell-checking and auto correction does not work - it's always on in the NUI apps.

Damn, you can only snap three apps on surface pro if you set the image scaling to "smaller". I'd really love to be able to snap three apps with the normal scaling :/

Chaplain

Well, my brother had an error where there was a watermark on 8.1 which said this:

746844abf736c398f84693e4f1a64e4e.png

It took awhile to fix because we had tried a million and one different solutions because Microsoft has no solutions up on the website other than to call the OEM and get them to deal with it. The solution ended up being telling bios to revert to default.

I got the same error and have noticed that my PC is a lot slower now with 8.1 (about 8 seconds slower).

Does anyone know how to uninstall 8.1? My PC came with WIndows 8 installed on it, so I do not have a disc.

Pakkidis

Just go t my new PC using windows 8 /8.1 for the first time. I really like, however their is so much missed potential. Right now it feels like two seperate OS's as opposed to one cohesive OS. Right now I have it booted into desktop with classic shell installed. Feel right at home. Keep in mind my last OS was windows XP.

BIG PROBLEM. I can't activate windows 8.1. This is off a retail copy of 8.1. It says windows can't active right now, error code Error code: 0x8000FFFF catastrophic failure.

I have run chkdsk on my ssd and hd are fine. Whats going on here.

pestul

Just go t my new PC using windows 8 /8.1 for the first time. I really like, however their is so much missed potential. Right now it feels like two seperate OS's as opposed to one cohesive OS. Right now I have it booted into desktop with classic shell installed. Feel right at home. Keep in mind my last OS was windows XP.

BIG PROBLEM. I can't activate windows 8.1. This is off a retail copy of 8.1. It says windows can't active right now, error code Error code: 0x8000FFFF catastrophic failure.

I have run chkdsk on my ssd and hd are fine. Whats going on here.
Dang, some of these issues you guys are having are pretty bad. After a few early bumps, my installation went quite well. From some reports the upgrade from 8->8.1 has been rougher than a 7->8 install... weird.

cilonen

I've held off upgrading to Win 8 until this point release and I was almost dreading it, but I honestly really like it. The Start Screen is just a (IMO better designed) analogue to OS X's Launch Control although getting it to feel right for me with all the shortcuts I need in the right places and start menu folders is a little traumatic and it I'm missing how you get it to 'rebuild' the start menu programs list to reflect the changes without rebooting, but in general I really like this.

The only bummer is about 50% of my steam library is botched - the games either don't see the local files or they try to launch and report a 'missing executable' error, so I bit the bullet and wiped everything and began with a fresh install of Steam - I'm now in the painful process of redownloading all of my games but it looks to have worked - DXHR was the first one I grabbed back overnight and the issue has gone.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Oh, I guess I should have asked this here:

Windows 8.1 reverted my start screen icon DPI to normal, and now charms>Change PC Settings>PC & Devices>Display only has smaller and default.

How can I fix this? Larger DPI made Windows 8.1 the superior choice for HTPC OSes.

Enjoying the other changes so far.

Since no one responded, I think I figured it the changes:
1. Microsoft reduced the size of "Larger" DPI along with the feature to increase the size of live tiles to "Larger" size.
2. When you select "Larger" in charms>Change PC Settings>PC & Devices>Display, the list item selection masks that and you only see "smaller" as on option to change to.

So the fix for HTPCs is to make all stuff Larger sized icons. Seems to work reasonably well.

I really like the changes to Windows 8.1, but it seems Microsoft's software development is transitioning from monolithic waterfall delivery to something between Agile and continuous deployment. So 98% of stuff works when upgrading, but a 2% doesn't. Things I noticed that were broken:
1. Some Logitech driver broke.
2. AMD GPU driver disabled GPU scaling on my monitors for some reason. on one monitor that results in 1 inch padding around all edges.
3. AMD GPU somehow grabbed control as the primary audio.

I disabled #1 because I'm not using that mouse anymore. #2/3 I updated drivers for my GPU. I didn't expect that level of kernel changes but it's good that AMD had drivers available for 8.1 day 1 for both 6000 and 5000 HD series.

maeh2k

Just upgraded my parents' notebook to 8.1. Everything went smoothly. I like that I can now run apps side-by-side on the 1280x800 screen.

Certinty

Well that was horrible.

Huge icons, low quality text etc. and I could ny do anything about it.

Am trying to go back to Windows 8.

coldfoot

Banned
Anyone using a SSD + HDD and trying to get Smart Response Tech working? I can help, been through hell to get that working now that I know Windows will NEVER be 100% compatible without having everything under the C drive, and set up my SSD as a cache instead of a new volume.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I started off my 8.1 experiece with a missing module, a low-res Chrome, and some crippling wi-fi issues, but now that all seems to have cleared up.

Well that was horrible.

Huge icons, low quality text etc. and I could ny do anything about it.

Am trying to go back to Windows 8.

My son was complaining about the same thing, so I told him did you check the display setting....so I am going to ask you the same, did you first check display setting before you attempt to reverse to Windows 8. I am pretty sure it's easier to just adjust setting.

Allforce

I've got Start8 installed, only have had this laptop with Win8 for about a month but will updating to 8.1 bone the Start8 functionality?

Certinty

The update sets desktop items to 150% by default for some reason, change it back via control panel.

My son was complaining about the same thing, so I told him did you check the display setting....so I am going to ask you the same, did you first check display setting before you attempt to reverse to Windows 8. I am pretty sure it's easier to just adjust setting.
Ah, didn't really check any of this. Will do now and hopefully it will solve all my issues.

Thanks guys.

allan-bh

Anyone using Win 8.1 with Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000 (2nd gen core i processor) ?

I heard that Win 8 driver is not working perfectly and there is no specific driver for 8.1 at the moment.

jsnepo

No update given for the Skype metro app? They removed messaging to give way for Skype but made it unavailable to chat with Facebook contacts. The desktop version supports it though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Clean install and I'm much happier now. Wish the photo tile would stop showing photos after I have deleted them.

The Cowboy

No update given for the Skype metro app? They removed messaging to give way for Skype but made it unavailable to chat with Facebook contacts. The desktop version supports it though.
Yeah, I really hope they update it to include the old messenger app chatting. It seems so silly to remove it and replace it with the Skype app BUT not include the chat system it had.

I actually used the messenger app often to chat with my family, it put everything in 1 area across the different chat platforms.

derFeef

Okay this is driving me nuts. I am pretty sure disabling spellcheck and autocorrection worked before 8.1

Disabling it has no effect, it's still there. I don't want to switch keyboard langauge everytime I write something in german or english, just let me write how I want. I added multiple keyboard languages and it still does not work. Anyway, the main problem is that the option has no effect, is this a known bug?

edit: apparently it was also a problem in Win 8 ... wtf. How does that go through?

strata8

Okay this is driving me nuts. I am pretty sure disabling spellcheck and autocorrection worked before 8.1

Disabling it has no effect, it's still there. I don't want to switch keyboard langauge everytime I write something in german or english, just let me write how I want. I added multiple keyboard languages and it still does not work. Anyway, the main problem is that the option has no effect, is this a known bug?

edit: apparently it was also a problem in Win 8 ... wtf. How does that go through?

Is this only in IE? In Windows 7 at least IE10 has it's own version of autocorrect and I can't find anywhere to turn it off.

anyone find IE11 amazingly fast!?
It's really fast.

FYI, for those attempting to upgrade a RT device (myself included), MS has pulled the RT8.1 update in order to fix something.

Hopefully that at least explains why I can't get the update to show up and it will work after they put it up again.

longdi

Banned
IE11 has amazing scrolling perf i give you that.

Anyway, ms is really really wanting everyone to sign up for a microsoft account. lots of 8.1 apps wont work proper if you dont sign in and now my skydrive is worthless. i rather stick with a local account because making a ms account means i have to sign in every-time i boot up my pc. lame.

anyone know how to disable/hide the new start button from the taskbar? ms allows us to boot direct to desktop, but sneakily left that worthless start button which i have accidentally hit and bounced to metro screen...

i think ms handling of win8 is as stubborn as their xbone pre-180...

longdi

Banned
Well, my brother had an error where there was a watermark on 8.1 which said this:

746844abf736c398f84693e4f1a64e4e.png

It took awhile to fix because we had tried a million and one different solutions because Microsoft has no solutions up on the website other than to call the OEM and get them to deal with it. The solution ended up being telling bios to revert to default.

you need to turn on secure boot in your bios which should be called something "windows 8 boot option".

but some videocard may not have GOP bios or the install was not properly done in uefi mode, and so you cant do anything to remove that text for now.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
IE11 has amazing scrolling perf i give you that.

Anyway, ms is really really wanting everyone to sign up for a microsoft account. lots of 8.1 apps wont work proper if you dont sign in and now my skydrive is worthless. i rather stick with a local account because making a ms account means i have to sign in every-time i boot up my pc. lame.

anyone know how to disable/hide the new start button from the taskbar? ms allows us to boot direct to desktop, but sneakily left that worthless start button which i have accidentally hit and bounced to metro screen...

i think ms handling of win8 is as stubborn as their xbone pre-180...
Signing isn't a hassle when you set up a pin. And you can make it so it doesn't require a password even with a ms account.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Any way to fix some of the tile colors? For whatever reason some of my tiles are orange, making everything pretty awful.

I've tried the background and accent color options to no avail.

Like this:

Nander

Disabling it worked fine for me. But they definitely changed it for 8.1, in Win8 there was no autocorrect when typing with a hardware keyboard, only with the on-screen one.

Did you uncheck "Autocorrect misspelled words" in "Change PC settings" -> "PC and devices" -> Typing?

Top Bottom