• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

Nander

Any way to fix some of the tile colors? For whatever reason some of my tiles are orange, making everything pretty awful.

I've tried the background and accent color options to no avail.

Like this:

It takes one of the colors from the icon as the tile color and I don't think you can choose which one. And your icons just all happen to contain orange...

You can change the whole tile with OblyTile, but that would be a bit more work.

longdi

Banned
Yeah that's what I've done.

Isn't there some super buried option to disable password sign in even if you are using a MS account?

how do i do that, without even entering a pin?
anyway by logging in with a ms account, i feel my privacy will be further compromise.

ghstwrld

oop

I'm getting the SecureBoot isn't configured correctly Build 9600 watermark; I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

NH Apache

Banned
Signing isn't a hassle when you set up a pin. And you can make it so it doesn't require a password even with a ms account.

Can you point me towards a how to on that? My wife likes to use the PC sometimes and doesn't always memorize my PW so it woulbe good if she could log in sans PW.

Edit: already answered thanks

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Can you point me towards a how to on that? My wife likes to use the PC sometimes and doesn't always memorize my PW so it woulbe good if she could log in sans PW.

Edit: already answered thanks
You could just create another user account for her.

Jzero

Any way to fix some of the tile colors? For whatever reason some of my tiles are orange, making everything pretty awful.

I've tried the background and accent color options to no avail.

Like this:

You're pretty screwed unless you make your own custom tiles. I also don't like their new tile colors.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The improved snap function is amazing, to the point that I'm actually using it.

Seriously, it may even be Metro's saving grace.

Has anyone managed to update from win8 using the store update while having another bootloader than the microsoft one and other hdd's installed using non-fat/ntfs file systems?

For me it restarts after downloading/configuring/applying and attempts to update for a second then restarts again and when booted up into Windows I get an install error.

Guessing it could be my non-standard hdd/boot setup.

It should have been that 1:1 ratio possible from the beginning. There would have been a lot more love for the snap from the beginning if so. The Mail client opening up a link makes it 1:1 ratio makes so much sense. You can then fullscreen the browser if necessary, or quickly exit the browser and go back to the mail app.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
you need to turn on secure boot in your bios which should be called something "windows 8 boot option".

but some videocard may not have GOP bios or the install was not properly done in uefi mode, and so you cant do anything to remove that text for now.

I have that same issue, and my videocard (a GTX555) which came with the Alienware X51 doesn't support UEFI/GOP so I'm stuck with that error unless I reinstall from scratch and change the BIOS mode to Legacy first. Can't swap BIOS mode with my current windows installation as that apparently corrupts the boot drive.

It really makes such a huge usability improvement. Hell, since I installed RTM, I've found myself using a lot of the Metro apps on a non-touch screen laptop. The snap improvements and Metro app improvements in general improve everything so much (IE Metro is so blazingly fast and the ellipsis menu makes the UI usable for mouse). I find myself with IE on the larger snap and pulling in Twitter, FB, Music on the small snap on the side.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
So are we ever going to get a fix for this site not loading external links correctly in ie11? So freaking frustrating!

longdi

Banned
I have that same issue, and my videocard (a GTX555) which came with the Alienware X51 doesn't support UEFI/GOP so I'm stuck with that error unless I reinstall from scratch and change the BIOS mode to Legacy first. Can't swap BIOS mode with my current windows installation as that apparently corrupts the boot drive.

i think you may need to get a 6 series geforce to have GOP bios. IIRC the 5's cards do not have enough space to add the GOP data.

You could try emailing Dell if they have an updated bios for your GTX555...

t-ramp

It's really fast.

FYI, for those attempting to upgrade a RT device (myself included), MS has pulled the RT8.1 update in order to fix something.

Hopefully that at least explains why I can't get the update to show up and it will work after they put it up again.
Oh. I hope that explains why I can't find it, either.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
i think you may need to get a 6 series geforce to have GOP bios. IIRC the 5's cards do not have enough space to add the GOP data.

You could try emailing Dell if they have an updated bios for your GTX555...

Spoke to Dell, they're 'aware' and have their engineering team working on a solution with Microsoft. I'm guessing a BIOS update but I'm skeptical..

They also sent me a bunch of work-arounds which have all been unsuccessful for me. Here they are in case others have different luck than me.
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused. Dell Engineering team is aware of this issue and we are working with Microsoft to get this fixed. Currently there is no ETA available for the resolution. Below is the latest update which we have so far:

Key points to remember before updating the system to Windows 8.1:

• Ensure BIOS is updated prior to upgrading Win 8.1
  • Post BIOS update all Windows update are to be installed prior to downloading WIN 8.1
If the OS is WINDOWS 8 HOME, ensure SECURE BOOT option is enabled in BIOS to resolve the issue, if enabling secure boot renders the system to No boot , change the secure boot to disabled again, Keep the computer connected to the internet for pulling the latest windows updates . Engineering is aware of this issue and resolution will be shared shortly.

In some of the cases SECURE BOOT is greyed out in the BIOS. You can continue to use system normally with no impact on performance. Engineering is aware of this issue and resolution will be shared shortly.

If the OS is WINDOWS 8 Pro, follow the steps below to resolve the issue

• Swipe the charms bar
  • Touch search
  • Key in gpedit.msc
  • Touch gpedit
  • Then under Computer Configuration
  • Touch Administrative templates
  • Then All settings on the right window pane
  • Then scroll down to use enhanced boot configuration data validation profile
  • Touch enabled option and touch apply option
  • Exit and Restart
Hope this helps.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If I upgrade from WINDOWS 7, would I keep files like my Steam stuff on my HDD? Debating on updating my SSD with this.

Most of my games are installed on a separate drive and not my SSD. The main concern is having to re-DL everything.

If I upgrade from WINDOWS 7, would I keep files like my Steam stuff on my HDD? Debating on updating my SSD with this.

Most of my games are installed on a separate drive and not my SSD. The main concern is having to re-DL everything.

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and then to 8.1 last night, and from what I can tell, all my Steam games made the transition without any problems. I haven't tried every single one of my Steam games, though, but the ones that I have played - they all work and are still there.

LiquidMetal14

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and then to 8.1 last night, and from what I can tell, all my Steam games made the transition without any problems. I haven't every single one of my Steam games, though, but the ones that I have played - they all work and are still there.

What about apps on your OS drive? Will I have to re-install MSE or Malwarebytes or just anything in general?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
What about apps on your OS drive? Will I have to re-install MSE or Malwarebytes or just anything in general?

Back when I went from Windows 7 > Windows 8 I didn't have to re-install anything whatsoever, every single program/game and setting carried over seamlessly.

LiquidMetal14

Thanks. Still debating on this based on finances so I will have to think it over. I just want a desktop with a start button.

Christ, what a saga. Was able to get my Windows license properly reactivated at least thanks to customer support, but now I'm afraid to even touch the 8.1 update again until I can figure out what on earth caused the mouse issue.

Vestal

Anyone else having issue with Google and IE11?? The home page for google.com is fine but as soon as it displays results the frames are all fucked up.

LiquidMetal14

Is there a list of essential programs or things I should note as I'm not really used to windows 8 other than my wifes laptop.

pestul

Performance gains vs other things for me really. I want to be able to have the same start up programs like Steam, EVGA Precision, MSE, Malwarebytes, etc.

They will all work fine. I moved to Windows 8 only 1 1/2 weeks ago for BF4 beta and I was worried as well. I had MSI Afterburner, Coretemp, Steam, Malwarebytes and Avast and a host of things tweaked in Windows 7 Pro. The upgrade to 8 Pro was perfect.. everything worked. Even my SSD->HDD Steam game junctions were preserved. In all honesty, I think it's performing as well as if I performed a clean install but without the hassle.

LiquidMetal14

When I upgraded from 7 to 8, I hated the interface. So, I got this and 8 basically is the same as 7 now.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

They will all work fine. I moved to Windows 8 only 1 1/2 weeks ago for BF4 beta and I was worried as well. I had MSI Afterburner, Coretemp, Steam, Malwarebytes and Avast and a host of things tweaked in Windows 7 Pro. The upgrade to 8 Pro was perfect.. everything worked. Even my SSD->HDD Steam game junctions were preserved. In all honesty, I think it's performing as well as if I performed a clean install but without the hassle.

Thanks for the responses. Will be getting start 8 it looks like.

DarkFlow

Banned
Fuck MS trying to force me to register a MS account to finish setup on this. I found a work around though. I went to already have login and use previous login and let me finish install without actually setting up an account.

It's amazing the amount of work some of you do so you don't have to do something simple.

DarkFlow

Banned
Why would I want a microsoft account? Especially one tied to my operating system?

What does it hurt? If you have a xbox or skype you already have a account. I find it useful because it saves all my desktop settings and transfers them when I do fresh wipes on my PC.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It's amazing the amount of work some of you do so you don't have to do something simple.
I don't* have an MS account and don't want one, either. I don't understand why I would need one if I already have a user account on my own PC, since I upgraded to 8.1 from 8.

I didn't know there was a work around, though.

*Well now I have one, but I'll just forget about it since it was made to be disposable.

I mean really. To do all that probably took 10 times as long.
It took a while to set up an account, too. So I bet the difference wasn't that bad.

What does it hurt? If you have a xbox or skype you already have a account. I find it useful because it saves all my desktop settings and transfers them when I do fresh wipes on my PC.
I have Skype, but I don't want that account paired with my computer. >>

This Google issue is pissing me off. :/

All the text dragged to the left, the site is pretty much useless for searching for images, information, anything. It's beyond unbearable. And this is most definitely a Windows 8.1 or IE 11 related issue.

Err the top left chasm menu isn't working for me correctly (it doesn't open, but I can click on the (invisible) views and they do work). Any halp?

I still hate that I can't snap 3 apps at once without adjusting the rendering size or whatever. I dont see why it would not be possible with normal scaling on surface pro

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Annoyed by Skydrive being in explorer above my local libraries, so I remove skydrive with a registry hack.

99.99999% of the time I'm using local files. I'm a PC user with thousands of 24 MP photos, GBs of videos, etc, I'm not uploading to the cloud as my primary use case.

If Windows Updates keeps reverting this, I'm going to just favorites all folders and stop using libraries.

"There's a new app for this type of file"
No there isn't.

Oh well, iterative progress.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
This Google issue is pissing me off. :/

All the text dragged to the left, the site is pretty much useless for searching for images, information, anything. It's beyond unbearable. And this is most definitely a Windows 8.1 or IE 11 related issue.
I won't say it's bad, but I am surprised by the amount of people who use IE in this thread.

As it's been mentioned, IE11 forces Google into compatibility mode or something.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This is really bugging me. Been trying to download 8.1 Pro for a few days now, but it seems when it reaches 50% when downloading, it just restarts the download. No message or issue as to why, just starts downloading again from the beginning. It's not my internet, I know that, and I'm not sure what exactly the problem is.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Also VPN users, you may find it stops working.

I had to uninstall Shrewsoft and then run the latest 2.2.2 installer as admin to get it working again.

Top Bottom