• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

My wireless constantly stops working in 8.1. And the pictures on most websites seem to be out focus for a long time until they finally snap into focus. I never noticed that on Windows 7. Real pain in the dick.

Upgraded to Windows 8 today, and the "Start" screen animations are making me literally nauseous. Fuck.

Does Windows 8.1 allow you to remove that shit? Ugh.

Keyouta

Upgraded to Windows 8 today, and the "Start" screen animations are making me literally nauseous. Fuck.

Go to 8.1 and set it to boot to desktop. You can also set it up to go to the "all apps" view when you click on the windows button. Makes it pretty great on a desktop/laptop.

Go to 8.1 and set it to boot to desktop. You can also set it up to go to the "all apps" view when you click on the windows button. Makes it pretty great on a desktop/laptop.

You are now my hero.
Will get on that when it installs.
I was pretty excited to get 8, but as soon as that screen came up every 2 clicks? Nausea.

RS4-

Why the fuck does disabling UAC "completely" or as much as you can, stop you from using the default pdf/image viewer (I don't know what else stops working aside from those two).

Apparently other apps from the store?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

search "animations" and you should find an option to turn off windows animations.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
more and more I use 8.1, the more and more I hate the new search. It would be awesome if all the apps plugged into the new full screen bing search, but they are not doing that. For example, if I want to search on Netflix, the new Bing search does not show results from that app, it shows results for the wikipedia app or the xbox video app, but not netflix. Bring back the option to have the ability to filter between apps without opening them. Don't know why you can't have both the new and the old search functionality.

more and more I use 8.1, the more and more I hate the new search. It would be awesome if all the apps plugged into the new full screen bing search, but they are not doing that. For example, if I want to search on Netflix, the new Bing search does not show results from that app, it shows results for the wikipedia app or the xbox video app, but not netflix. Bring back the option to have the ability to filter between apps without opening them. Don't know why you can't have both the new and the old search functionality.
I was really happy with the way search worked in vanilla Windows 8, now it's just slow as heck and clunky. Not a good change IMO.

I put my new PC together Tuesday. Haven't decided yet between Windows 7 or Windows 8. Mostly gaming. I hate being behind the times. At some point I need to get on Windows 8.

Has anyone used the Windows 8.1 Pro Student deal?

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-for-Students/productID.288769600

Does this version require a previous version of Windows to install from? It says it's the full version but there is some weird disclaimer about Windows 7.
I haven't used this yet, but I think it relates to not being able to do any kind of upgrade from any OS before Windows 7. So rather than bringing your files over it'd just format the drive and be all new over XP.

Just guessing though, sorry.

I haven't used this yet, but I think it relates to not being able to do any kind of upgrade from any OS before Windows 7. So rather than bringing your files over it'd just format the drive and be all new over XP.

Just guessing though, sorry.

I think you're right but I need to be 100% sure and I'm finding it hard to find definitive information.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Why the fuck does disabling UAC "completely" or as much as you can, stop you from using the default pdf/image viewer (I don't know what else stops working aside from those two).

I think it's to punish you in inventive ways for using your computer in a stupid manner.

strata8

Stupid question, but does Miracast mirror your whole screen, or does it only enable you to stream media?

Think of it like wireless HDMI. Windows treats it the same way as a regular external display, so mirroring is an option but you can also extend or use the TV alone.

Milchjon

Think of it like wireless HDMI. Windows treats it the same way as a regular external display, so mirroring is an option but you can also extend or use the TV alone.

Aye.

Does it work as advertised or would I have to expect any delays or congestion?

strata8

Aye.

Does it work as advertised or would I have to expect any delays or congestion?

Seems to work okay, but this is on a Surface 2 and I've heard it's a lot better on more powerful PCs.

Generally does 1080p/25-30fps and 720p/50-60fps. Delay of maybe 200-300ms. Someone on Amazon measured a delay of 5ms (or 50ms? I'm not sure) using an Ultrabook to give you some perspective.

Valus

Does anyone happen to have the Microsoft LifeCam Studio webcam? I downloaded all the software for it on 8.1 but I can't get the damn program to open. I opened it up in the Program Files and found the .exe but when I try to open it literally nothing happens. It shows up in the processes when I open task manager but literally nothing happens when I try to open it.

It's frustrating because when I'm skyping with my lady my camera gets blurry and I can't adjust the focus without access to the software. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get it open?

Stet

Banned
If I already have a retail version of Windows 8 (digital copy), can I upgrade to 8.1 free and change from 32 to 64 bit?

Razdek

Banned
I don't know if IE metro with touch is good or bad. When.it works it's the best touch browser I've used but there's been too many glitches that I've encountered. It's slow to go back to the previous page and tries to reload it instead of holding it in cache and there's pages where it just tries to load forever.

Touch points are off and inaccurate and there's been times when. I got caught with a pop up ad and couldn't close the window and went into an infinite loop. This thing is buggy and performance needs to be better.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, literally. It made me feel nauseous.
Now, it's fixed, and I'm not feeling like shit after constant use of the OS.
Is that a problem?

Not problem for me, but I suspect that it may be one for you if you have such a sensitive stomach. Must suck, wouldn't want that to happen to me.

edit: that's a genuine response btw, in case it sounded sarcastic.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ibfA5RgRe60PJw.png

Damn this is news to me, awesome.

zychi

Banned
Anyone been able to get an apple wireless keyboard and trackpad to work properly in windows 8.1? every google search is for a macbook, but I'm just truing to install them via my PC. the keyboard shows up in bluetooth, but asks for a keycode. No idea how to get passed that

Hex

Banned
Ok, already prepared to throw fucking Windows 8 out against the wall.
Got my Yoga today and set it up.
All I am trying to do is add my windows id and keep getting an error 0xd0000225
I can log into skydrive and other things with no issues

BadWolf

Got a new PC (my comrade of nearly a decade finally kicked the bucket) and it came with Windows 8.

So far I don't see what the hate is all about when it feels pretty much the same as 7? There's that new UI thing but that's about it, once it goes to desktop its pretty much the same thing.

The new UI looks kinda nice but when I click Firefox or whatever it takes me to the desktop and then launches the browser. So not sure what the point of using it is if it will just constantly go to the desktop anyway.

Azih

Got a new PC (my comrade of nearly a decade finally kicked the bucket) and it came with Windows 8.

So far I don't see what the hate is all about when it feels pretty much the same as 7? There's that new UI thing but that's about it, once it goes to desktop its pretty much the same thing.

The new UI looks kinda nice but when I click Firefox or whatever it takes me to the desktop and then launches the browser. So not sure what the point of using it is if it will just constantly go to the desktop anyway.

Try adding your email accounts to the mail app to quickly broswe your mail, Bing weather is also a great way of just quickly checking the weather. There's a few functions that work better as tablet style apps than through desktop browsers/applications.

But yeah other than those kinds of things most of my time is spent on the desktop and the start screen is just a great launcher.

BadWolf

Try adding your email accounts to the mail app to quickly broswe your mail, Bing weather is also a great way of just quickly checking the weather. There's a few functions that work better as tablet style apps than through desktop browsers/applications.

But yeah other than those kinds of things most of my time is spent on the desktop and the start screen is just a great launcher.

I'll try that out.

Was just thinking I was missing something but at the same time pretty glad that I can use it like Windows 7 for the most part.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

Start screen is a launcher that lets you organize your programs much better than the start menu. That alone makes it better in my view.

I am not really sure why people get so upset about it.

I like to use a timer program and snap it to the side when I am baking.

cbox

Start screen is a launcher that lets you organize your programs much better than the start menu. That alone makes it better in my view.

Everyone complains at first, but then they find a use for it. I haven't logged into gmail on my pc since I got 8 a few months back. Songza is constantly snapped to the side of my 2nd monitor with mail being the other half. The one thing I dislike is that I cannot sync my google data with windows. I'd love to have my calendars all sync.

M3d10n

The only feature I really miss in the start screen are the "soft pinned" recent apps from the Windows 7 start menu. That shit was genius: a newly installed program would show there right after install, so I could launch it right away without ever browsing or searching for it and it was so good at keeping my frequently used programs around that I never needed to manually pin them.

Microsoft needs to find a way to bring a similar functionality to the start screen, maybe by having a dynamic tile group for recently/frequently used apps on the far left.

aaaaa0

The only feature I really miss in the start screen are the "soft pinned" recent apps from the Windows 7 start menu. That shit was genius: a newly installed program would show there right after install, so I could launch it right away without ever browsing or searching for it and it was so good at keeping my frequently used programs around that I never needed to manually pin them.

Microsoft needs to find a way to bring a similar functionality to the start screen, maybe by having a dynamic tile group for recently/frequently used apps on the far left.

If you hit the little down arrow button (or swipe up with a finger), you can sort the "Apps" view by "most used" or "date installed".

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I can get used to most of this crap, but the swipe from right to left opening the stupid charm bar thing is getting on my last nerve. All the tutorials on how to remove it say the setting is under the mouse settings. I have everything but that setting and uninstalling the driver and updating it to the newest one won't work. It simply doesn't install the new driver. I have to use the Acer OEM driver.

Any suggestions on how to disable, possibly with fire and knives, the idiotic swipe gesture would be very, very appreciated.

I've tried asking Cthulu for help, but I still owe him for that thing in Berlin.

Top Bottom