• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

Really? When I re-installed W8 one time, I remember having to manually input all the login information all over again.

That would be such a hassle to find all of those again.

SPDIF

Anyone knows the best way to backup my Outlook-contacts and login-information, since I wanna do a clean re-install of W 8.1, but the email, as well as firefox and Opera have quite important login information for my work and i rather have to backup them easily than search for the login information.

Export the information to a file and then copy that file to a USB. Then once you've finished the re-install just import the file from the USB.

So I installed W8 on my pc and used the Windows Account, which I already used for my laptop with W8. There is this small annoyance that bothers me and I was hoping one of you knows how to deal with this. Basically I couldn't choose a user name and my user folder, which contains your typical Windows library folders is called C:\Users\stant_000. Is there a way to change this? If it's not possible I can live with that, but I wish it is.

maeh2k

Really? When I re-installed W8 one time, I remember having to manually input all the login information all over again.

I'd be careful with Outlook. I don't think there's any automatic synchronization (Outlook != outlook.com). I think Outlook has an export function somewhere in the menu to save mails and contacts and stuff.
Ideally Outlook shouldn't be set up so that the data is only stored locally. With IMAP a copy of the mails should remain on the server and with POP there should be an option to keep a copy on the sever when you receive mail.

diaspora

So I installed W8 on my pc and used the Windows Account, which I already used for my laptop with W8. There is this small annoyance that bothers me and I was hoping one of you knows how to deal with this. Basically I couldn't choose a user name and my user folder, which contains your typical Windows library folders is called C:\Users\stant_000. Is there a way to change this? If it's not possible I can live with that, but I wish it is.

Use local account.

Somewhat off-topic but the Lumia thread is quiet so I'm going to crosspost here.

When Windows RT inevitably gets killed off is there any chance the Lumia 2520 could get moved to real Windows or whatever comes next? Really tempted to grab one but it'd be a shame to do so and end up stuck with the dead OS.

Motwera

Banned
Somewhat off-topic but the Lumia thread is quiet so I'm going to crosspost here.

When Windows RT inevitably gets killed off is there any chance the Lumia 2520 could get moved to real Windows or whatever comes next? Really tempted to grab one but it'd be a shame to do so and end up stuck with the dead OS.

Windows RT is the real windows, minus the support for actual desktop 3rd party support, that's all.

Windows RT is the real windows, minus the support for actual desktop 3rd party support, that's all.

I know that, but given the almost non-existence of RT devices and recent rumblings about bringing the different services together it seems that RT isn't long for the world. And actual desktop 3rd party support is what makes windows windows for me :D Suppose my real question is if the 2520 could theoretically ever run standard 8.1 in the same way the pro does.

Still, the 2520 seems like an incredible device for browsing and general things as I wait for the next line of intel/nvidia tech to grab a new laptop.

I know that, but given the almost non-existence of RT devices and recent rumblings about bringing the different services together it seems that RT isn't long for the world. And actual desktop 3rd party support is what makes windows windows for me :D Suppose my real question is if the 2520 could theoretically ever run standard 8.1 in the same way the pro does.

Still, the 2520 seems like an incredible device for browsing and general things as I wait for the next line of intel/nvidia tech to grab a new laptop.

No. It runs on ARM. Snapdragon 800. Best case it gets hacked to run Android.

I have a Vaio Duo 13, and the most recent driver updates that Sony have provided have disabled the auto brightness and auto rotate features for the display driver.

The last time this happened I simply went to the Intel website and got the most recent 8.1 drivers and after installing all was well.

Well, my system has installed new drivers from Sony and the features are removed once again so I thought I'd simply do the same thing again and all will be good. Unfortunately when I try and install the latest Intel drivers it tells me:

The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.

Setup will now exit

Is there any way around this?

Mariolee

Recently got a new laptop, updated to Windows 8.1, and I don't know if this is because of the update or whatever, but whenever I play a video it lags like crazy. This is a brand new laptop so it can't be a faulty video card can it? What do Gaf?

maeh2k

Recently got a new laptop, updated to Windows 8.1, and I don't know if this is because of the update or whatever, but whenever I play a video it lags like crazy. This is a brand new laptop so it can't be a faulty video card can it? What do Gaf?

Issues after upgrades could be driver related. Try installing the newest drivers for the hardware (most importantly GPU).

kharma45

Try updating your video drivers.

Can someone explain autocorrect on touch, please

Since 8.1 i cant seem to undo the changes easily. (Oh and i just noticed that my English keyboard layout is buggy) sometimes, it is impossible to undo some changes, even when typing words multiple times, it keeps on changing them. And when longpressing the word it does not show options like learning the new word or undoing the change like it did in 8.0

Pretty sure graphics drivers need re-installing after updating.

Mariolee

Thanks guys. Can you also tell me how to make my lock screen rotate between pictures. I chose a folder and did slide show and followed all the steps here but it still sticks on only one picture. What do I do?

Edit: Looking it up more, I thought the slideshow feature would have the pictures switching between each other in full rather than multiple pictures on the lock screen at once if that makes sense. The former is what I wanted.

Edit edit: It works, I'm dumb.

Ricker

Quick question guys,suppose I want to format my hard disk...I am now running W8.1 but did the online upgrade from W7 when W8 released...I don't have anything physical for W8...does this mean that after the format,I have to re-install my W7 with the CD and do the upgrade to 8.1 online again...?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Quick question guys,suppose I want to format my hard disk...I am now running W8.1 but did the online upgrade from W7 when W8 released...I don't have anything physical for W8...does this mean that after the format,I have to re-install my W7 with the CD and do the upgrade to 8.1 online again...?

Didn't you save the ISO you downloaded during your windows 8 online upgrade?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Nobody knows how to undo annoying autocorrections (not the functionality itself)?

Not sure if its what your looking for but if I back-space to start deleting word that was auto-corrected, the actual word I typed appears as a suggestion (typically with and without the option of adding it to the dictionary).

On WP, this does not work for profanity.

EDIT: I believe selecting the word that was auto-corrected also gives you access to select the word you previously typed.

EDIT2: This is all wrong! In 8.1, the only way I've found to revert is a Ctrl+Z on the virtual keyboard the suggestion behavior only comes when it can't auto-correct the word.

Who the fuck at Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to change the backup format? My mom's notebook broke down few days ago and luckily, she had a backup of everything, made my the backup and recovery tool from Windows 7. Her new notebook came with Windows 8, I immediately updated it to 8.1 and you should've seen the look on my face when I realized that her backup was completely useless. Windows 8 at least had the Windows 7 recovery tool on board, albeit hidden, but they completely removed it from 8.1. Now I have to get the hard dive out of the old notebook and plug it into the new one with a USB-SATA adaptor, like in the fucking Stone Age.

What a merry fucking Christmas.

I'm really not surprised that people don't trust Microsoft products anymore.

vanty

I posted a problem here that I eventually solved by figuring out some stupid UK keyboard layout thing, so now this is a placeholder for my first impressions of 8.1 from the perspective of a W7 user ahah.

maeh2k

You'd think someone who works for a tech site would be able to properly set up and explain an OS...

The Verge's Nilay Patel on Windows 8:
@reckless: Helping my mother in law understand her new laptop is a real object lesson in how badly Microsoft fucked up with Windows 8.
@reckless: Basically all I'm doing is making it act exactly like Windows 7.

stktt

Banned
"Here's your desktop. Click this button to go to your start menu. Click on the desktop again to go back to the desktop. Type 'shut down' to shut it down."

My parents never had any issue with 8 after I took five minutes to explain the biggest changes. Setting the desktop to default in 8.1 made it even less of an issue.

maeh2k

In a shocking turn of events, it seem like Adobe Reader Touch might actually be the 'best' Metro .pdf reader. Neither the standard reader nor Drawboard manage to remember your position in the documents or allow you to place your own bookmarks. So when you are reading a 400+ page .pdf you better never close the app. Adobe Reader seems to start where you left off last time.

I have a Vaio Duo 13, and the most recent driver updates that Sony have provided have disabled the auto brightness and auto rotate features for the display driver.

The last time this happened I simply went to the Intel website and got the most recent 8.1 drivers and after installing all was well.

Well, my system has installed new drivers from Sony and the features are removed once again so I thought I'd simply do the same thing again and all will be good. Unfortunately when I try and install the latest Intel drivers it tells me:

The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.

Setup will now exit

Is there any way around this?

Posting again, cos it's really bumming me out now, and Google is fruitless barring endless results about forcing installation of unsigned drivers (and this doesn't seem to be the same thing).

You have to do the "Trust this PC" thing in the control panel to bring all of your login info over. It's kinda dumb, and Windows should probably prompt you to do that at setup.

Jezbollah

I'm trying to get Sickbeard started correctly without any visual pop-up on my new HTPC.

Does anyone know how to create services in Windows 8.1?

Cheers

Who the fuck at Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to change the backup format? My mom's notebook broke down few days ago and luckily, she had a backup of everything, made my the backup and recovery tool from Windows 7. Her new notebook came with Windows 8, I immediately updated it to 8.1 and you should've seen the look on my face when I realized that her backup was completely useless. Windows 8 at least had the Windows 7 recovery tool on board, albeit hidden, but they completely removed it from 8.1. Now I have to get the hard dive out of the old notebook and plug it into the new one with a USB-SATA adaptor, like in the fucking Stone Age.

What a merry fucking Christmas.

I'm really not surprised that people don't trust Microsoft products anymore.

The whole 8 -> 8.1 thing has been a mess for me. That's the not the only thing they broke with the change to 8.1. I had done a ton of flawless installs of windows 8 prior to 8.1 coming out. After 8.1, I can't even use my windows 8 keys to do an install from the web because the windows 8 web installer auto updates to the 8.1 installer and then rejects my key! Also the refresh functionality seemed broken on my install of Windows 8.1 as that's what I really wanted to do.

dk_

Upgraded to Windows 8.1 and now my Email is borked. Worked for a couple of days, but then I couldn't sync any account (Hotmail or Gmail). I reinstalled it and now I can't even add a account.

Can someone explain to me what the hell is going on with my system? I can't access any app and worst of all, I can't get into System Configuration (or PC Configuration because I have the Spanish version)

I've tried a lot of crap trying to fix it but no result at all.

Here's some examples:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By7RJLLFn--9VWYyMjNOQUEwZGc/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By7RJLLFn--9MzBocElqTDRKbnM/edit?usp=sharing

I get this message when I use Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter

68V2Y.png

In case you don't speak spanish, I believe the first message says: some values from security configuration are missing or have been changed.

I really need your help asap guys :(

You'd think someone who works for a tech site would be able to properly set up and explain an OS...

The Verge's Nilay Patel on Windows 8:

My mother adjusted to Windows 8 just fine. Mind you, she is a Windows Phone user. I'll have to ask her if she prefers it over her iPad.

Meanwhile, my father had a hard time adjusting to Windows 7. He was recovering from having a brain tumor removed, but I think he would have hated it anyway. "Why isn't it like before?" seems common with people. I mean people freaked out about iOS 7.

My mother adjusted to Windows 8 just fine. Mind you, she is a Windows Phone user. I'll have to ask her if she prefers it over her iPad.

Meanwhile, my father had a hard time adjusting to Windows 7. He was recovering from having a brain tumor removed, but I think he would have hated it anyway. "Why isn't it like before?" seems common with people. I mean people freaked out about iOS 7.

To be fair, with Windows 8 (not so much 8.1) and iOS 7, there are a lot of bone-headed design decisions.

Flash

started using windows 8 (8.1) for the first time last week...and I think i'm getting the hang of it.

my main complaint - the app store is just awful. wtf? it's been out for almost a year and a half now...why is it so lackluster? no office youtube, google maps, vlc, etc. apps?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
started using windows 8 (8.1) for the first time last week...and I think i'm getting the hang of it.

my main complaint - the app store is just awful. wtf? it's been out for almost a year and a half now...why is it so lackluster? no office youtube, google maps, vlc, etc. apps?
Well no official google stuff is just google not wanting to build them. They built a google search / browser app and said that was all they were going to do. as for vlc, it has been in development for about a year.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1061646928/vlc-for-the-new-windows-8-user-experience-metro

maeh2k

Building Office if incredibly hard. It's not something the Office team could have done in a couple of months while simultaneously building the regular version that most businesses need. Office for Metro is coming this year. And the Office Web Apps work in Metro and support touch.
Google doesn't care about Microsoft platforms, but there are some great third-party youtube clients. Try Metrotube and Hyper. For maps there's bing maps as well as third-party apps that use google's maps like gmaps. You can also just pin the website.
VLC is coming soon.

Flash

Building Office if incredibly hard. It's not something the Office team could have done in a couple of months while simultaneously building the regular version that most businesses need. Office for Metro is coming this year. And the Office Web Apps work in Metro and support touch.
Google doesn't care about Microsoft platforms, but there are some great third-party youtube clients. Try Metrotube and Hyper. For maps there's bing maps as well as third-party apps that use google's maps like gmaps. You can also just pin the website.
VLC is coming soon.

It's just unfortunate. Why is Google holding out? Since when do they care about rivalries etc - aren't they all about having their services on everything? heck, they sometimes release their services on iOS before even Android.

It's just unfortunate. Why is Google holding out? Since when do they care about rivalries etc - aren't they all about having their services on everything? heck, they sometimes release their services on iOS before even Android.

MS and Google act like a couple spoiled children sparring with each other.

Users can still use their services through the web anyways. That said, I still think it's pretty silly to not make dedicated apps considering that there are 100+ million Windows 8 devices out there.

Google wants to be on all platforms, as long as it isn't called Windows.

Their explanation is that the Windows platforms (Windows 8 and Windows Phone) don't have the userbase to justify the resources it would need to develop and publish their apps on those platforms.

Tizoc

Got a new lappy and am tying to update it to 8.1.
Blasted thing doesn't even start downloading any KBs, what gives? SHould I restart my laptop and try again?

Top Bottom