• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

MCD

IIRC VLC is made by only a few people, but they did the kickstarter and have been working on a port for what, 18 months?

Come on

I tolerated the audio bug issues and certifications. But no subs? We already have apps that can do that.

WTF

You can download Windows 8.1 update 1 right now with a simple registry tweak

If you are willing to make a few tweaks to your registry, you can get Windows 8.1 update 1 right now. By adding a value to your registry, this will give you access to download and will get you the bits right now, without accessing any third-party.

Several users have reported that the method is working and have successfully downloaded the update. The current thought is that by tweaking the registry, it mimics your machine to be that of a user who is dogfooding the update and then sends the bits to your machine.

In regedit, navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\” and create a new key called “SHWindowsPoolS14″, now reboot your PC and check for new updates. You should see “Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2919442) – (S14 Prerequisite v01.0008)“, this is the first in a series of updates that will update your PC to Windows 8.1.1 (or whatever it’s called).

We wouldn't be surprise if Microsoft blocks this workaround very quickly and surely did not expect this way of obtaining Windows 8.1 update 1 to make it out into the wild in this way.

As with any leak or workaround like this, proceed with caution as you can bork your Windows install.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Seems to not work anymore. Had I known last night I would have done it. lol

edit: nvm, files were saved by others.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
its amazing how fascinated the press is over what the names of things like windows 8.1 update is. such a stupid topic that will be talked about for hours.

What is the best way to restrict drive access for a Guest account? I am renting my apartment out for a week but thought it would be nice to give the tenants computer access. I created a Guest account and noticed that it has full access to every single drive and files within.

Every method I've looked up online refers to using gpedit.msc to do it, but for whatever reason, only drives A, B, and C are options (wtf?) and it doesn't appear to be specific to user accounts.

Is there a way to do this?

sangreal

What is the best way to restrict drive access for a Guest account? I am renting my apartment out for a week but thought it would be nice to give the tenants computer access. I created a Guest account and noticed that it has full access to every single drive and files within.

Every method I've looked up online refers to using gpedit.msc to do it, but for whatever reason, only drives A, B, and C are options (wtf?) and it doesn't appear to be specific to user accounts.

Is there a way to do this?

just right click on the drive, folder or file and go to properties->security and change the permissions

Rootbeer

Banned
Good to hear!

Funny I go into work every day and use 7 and I find myself missing 8,1 features.

Not funny at all... I love the 8.1 changes they've done desktop-side, and I look forward to 8.1 Update 1's final release (why not just call it 8.2 and be done with it? C'mon MS)

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Ok I jumped in, and I really like the changes to this vs. when I first used Windows 8 on release.

But now I am going tile customization crazy again!!

Is Oblytile still the go to app for this?

Also are there tile database sites around?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
so i got windows 8 yesterday and i downloaded a start menu and im booting to the desktop, so with these things enbaled i cant understand how windows 8 gets so much flak from folks when its 5 minutes away from being windows 7. to me, win 8 is a nicer looking win 7 with a faster boot time and a good tv interface (metro).

cbox

so i got windows 8 yesterday and i downloaded a start menu and im booting to the desktop, so with these things enbaled i cant understand how windows 8 gets so much flak from folks when its 5 minutes away from being windows 7. to me, win 8 is a nicer looking win 7 with a faster boot time and a good tv interface (metro).

People don't like change and Microsoft is an easy target for bloggers, etc. sure there are a few quirks but overall it's a much better package and all the drama queens are overplaying how different it is.

There's also the phenomenon where users actively refuse to change their behavior to use a piece of software as it's designed, and then complain when it doesn't behave exactly as they want, and Windows 8.1 suffers from that for all the users who have refused to set up the Modern UI apps as you would a smartphone.

Another great example is Facebook, where Facebook has designed the "Close Friends", "Family", and so on filters (circles) so that you don't have to see everyone's status but can remain networked, which is beneficial, yet I know countless people who don't use the filters, and instead chose to purge their friends list down to "200 people" every few months or so, because they don't care about those other peoples' statuses.

SPDIF

So i take VLC did not released yet, right?

hLSTDnH.png

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
People don't like change and Microsoft is an easy target for bloggers, etc. sure there are a few quirks but overall it's a much better package and all the drama queens are overplaying how different it is.

There's also the phenomenon where users actively refuse to change their behavior to use a piece of software as it's designed, and then complain when it doesn't behave exactly as they want, and Windows 8.1 suffers from that for all the users who have refused to set up the Modern UI apps as you would a smartphone.

Another great example is Facebook, where Facebook has designed the "Close Friends", "Family", and so on filters (circles) so that you don't have to see everyone's status but can remain networked, which is beneficial, yet I know countless people who don't use the filters, and instead chose to purge their friends list down to "200 people" every few months or so, because they don't care about those other peoples' statuses.
I said as much in a thread about windows 8 last week, people were all whiny about it. You would think it was neigh unusable.

Ever since I started using Server 2012, even when it first released, i found the start menu no problem, the start menu was down, to the bottom right. Then i started using windows 8. The metro start is cool, i like it a lot better than the old style start menu. Yesterday i had to remote to some users machine, and he was on XP and I was like FFFFuuu

cbox

I said as much in a thread about windows 8 last week, people were all whiny about it. You would think it was neigh unusable.

Ever since I started using Server 2012, even when it first released, i found the start menu no problem, the start menu was down, to the bottom right. Then i started using windows 8. The metro start is cool, i like it a lot better than the old style start menu. Yesterday i had to remote to some users machine, and he was on XP and I was like FFFFuuu

What do you think of videos like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VtNLl6Ca4

As per usual, don't read the comments.

It doesn't bother me at work, but whenever I use my parents' Windows 7 machine, I just can't stand it. All the small refinements that are missing and comparative slowness of 7 is noticeable enough to be frustrating.

It doesn't bother me at work, but whenever I use my parents' Windows 7 machine, I just can't stand it. All the small refinements that are missing and comparative slowness of 7 is noticeable enough to be frustrating.
Aero is ugly now and Win 7 basic is disgusting. The UI improvements alone make it.

Kabuto

Aero is ugly now and Win 7 basic is disgusting. The UI improvements alone make it.

yup, Windows Key + S and the right click of the start button makes Win 8.1 infinitely better than Win 7. I had to use my mom's laptop with Win 7 yesterday and I don't know how people can say 7 is better.

Blablurn

Just installed the latest update and as soon as I booted my laptop it couldn't connect to the Internet. Hopefully restoring it to yesterday's settings will bring me back online

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I'm really excited and started playing with the VLC app. My first big gripe is the file open dialog; it needs some serious innovation. Still a work in progress so its understandable.

So far, I haven't been able to successfully play anything :( (tried Ogg and Mkv... maybe the underlying video encode isn't supported?)

EDIT: It seems it just can't play back from Library's symbolic links.

EDIT2: Man! It's going to be a happy day once they add in subtitle support. It's also great to know they truly support files with funny characters <3

I'm really excited and started playing with the VLC app. My first big gripe is the file open dialog; it needs some serious innovation. Still a work in progress so its understandable.

So far, I haven't been able to successfully play anything :( (tried Ogg and Mkv... maybe the underlying video encode isn't supported?)

EDIT: It seems it just can't play back from Library's symbolic links.

EDIT2: Man! It's going to be a happy day once they add in subtitle support. It's also great to know they truly support files with funny characters <3

VLC launched? Where? Tried searching and nothing XD

Edit: Found it!

I really liked the interface, hope they eventually create thumbs for all media types, right now it only generate thumbs for natives...

JaggedSac

They mention long term plans with a smiley in their email. Please be referring to Xbox One. They do mention it as one of the platforms that WinRT runs on.

Not sure where else to put this, but Office 365 will have a cheaper "Personal" edition this Spring:

Office 365 Personal is designed for a single individual. While the Home Premium variant might be shared among different members in a household. As an Office 365 Personal subscriber, you’ll be able to install Office on up to one PC (or Mac) and one tablet. The price is reduced from $99.99 per year for Home Premium to just $69.99/USD for Office 365 Personal. You can go month-to-month with Office 365 Personal for $6.99/USD a month.

Users of Personal will get the same features as Home, plus "60 minutes of Skype calling per month, 20 GB of additional OneDrive storage and always be up to date with the most recent version of Office".

Top Bottom