• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

~$5.80 a month is a pretty good deal for something that's always been seen as a very expensive product for consumers.

I'm still riding a dirt cheap 365 university deal that I snagged before I graduated college ($20 a year for 4 years)

Azih

My distaste of the Modern UI has almost been eradicated thanks to my new Venue Pro 8. It still has very little space on my home desktop though. :|

It's an excellent UI for tablets/hybrids (My Asus T100TA is reaall pretty) and as of 8.1 can be almost completely ignored on the desktop, Really prefer checking mail via Modern and Modern as a launcher compared to 7 though.

maeh2k

What? WinRT can't even run Firefox Metro if they wanted to. It was exclusively for x86.

Ehm, I meant the environment formerly know as Metro... no wait, that's just the design language. So I meant Microsoft store apps? No, Firefox Metro isn't in the store. So, is it a 'modern app'?
Whatever. Windows is failing at mobile.

It's ironic how other browser developers bitched about not getting the same rights as IE on Windows 8 and now Firefox is killing their 'Metro browser' and Google is injecting Chrome OS into Windows.

FLEABttn

Banned
I have a Windows 8.1 problem.

I use my OneDrive account as my Windows account. I changed my password for my OneDrive account outside of Windows. Now, whenever I log into my computer, it tells me my account password is wrong and I have to enter my correct password. I can't figure out for the life of me how to update the password used for the automatic log in of my windows account.

I use my OneDrive account as my Windows account. I changed my password for my OneDrive account outside of Windows. Now, whenever I log into my computer, it tells me my account password is wrong and I have to enter my correct password. I can't figure out for the life of me how to update the password used for the automatic log in of my windows account.

If your PC is connected to the internet, it should update automatically. If it still doesn't work, unplug the PC from the internet and it should prompt you to use the last used working password.

Do you happen to have two-step security set up? I had mine set up and a number of devices (like my Windows Phone) required my special "app password" instead of my actual MS account login.

FLEABttn

Banned
If your PC is connected to the internet, it should update automatically. If it still doesn't work, unplug the PC from the internet and it should prompt you to use the last used working password.

This didn't change anything. The auto-login is still trying to use my old password.

Do you happen to have two-step security set up? I had mine set up and a number of devices (like my Windows Phone) required my special "app password" instead of my actual MS account login.

No.

*EDIT* I figured it out. You have to go to netplwiz, enable "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer", apply that, then disable "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer", apply that, and enter the new password when prompted. They really didn't make that very transparent to the user.

Is there any way to get your computer to automatically login to your (online) Microsoft user ID? I have to select alternate log in, type in my email and password every time I turn on my laptop.

Quick

Banned
Any recommendations for apps to custom map my keyboard keys?

I'm using a Logitech keyboard, and I just want something with more features than the default SetPoint app.

DryvBy

Ok, I figured out a lot of the bugs I was having before but one thing I can't figure out is why Windows 8.1 copies all my files so slow. I'm copy at 6.5mb/s which is even slower than my download speed. In Windows 7, I wasn't having this problem at all.

maeh2k

I wonder if that's the main reason for the shittiness of the store. A waste to build a decent tablet UI with no decent apps to support it.

The fact that it's harder to do things using WinRT and some things that are possible on other platforms aren't possible on WinRT certainly doesn't help. But make no mistake, the reason no one supports it isn't because it's hard, it's because of Windows' negligible market share in mobile. Firefox was already pretty far along, but they killed it, because no one's using Metro apps.
In a way that also shows how Windows 8 is a failure regardless of mobile. Windows 8 was supposed to bring the simple app model to all kinds of PCs and the not-so-advanced users were supposed to jump on board. They aren't doing that. Everyone just continues to use Windows the way they have before while bitching about that extra click they need to go to the desktop.

Meohsix

So windows updated today, and they put some un-deleteable Homegroup icon on the desktop.
anyone know how to get rid of it?

EDIT: figured it out, went to the homegroup settings in the CP and turned off network discovery and the icon went away.

Jzero

So windows updated today, and they put some un-deleteable Homegroup icon on the desktop.
anyone know how to get rid of it?

EDIT: figured it out, went to the homegroup settings in the CP and turned off network discovery and the icon went away.

That's usually a bug and the icon goes away by itself after a restart

AnkitT

Since i'm quite bored, i'll list out some apps which I find useful with snippets about the "why":

1. Twitter apps:
The official twitter app is great if you're a casual user and use twitter more for posting as compared to reading/catching up.

The liquid daffodil apps (gleek, cowlick, etc.) do have the features on par with the windows phone versions but the interface is not to my liking and it doesnt seem to refresh a whole load of tweets in the background for catching up.

Tweetro+ hits the sweet spot for me with the interface which has one of the better portrait orientation look out there. The tweetmarker support is great and tends to work flawlessly. You have to pay to unlock more than 2 accounts though.

Apart from these i've tried out Tweetium, which I never really considered until recently due to the gradients in the interface when I tried it out ages ago. But now they have a flatter option so I bought it. Now while the app looks and functions very well, several extra abilities such as tweetmarker support are behind a 6 months worth of subscription fee of sorts. It was quite a steep price for me, so I have abstained from buying the subscription, but otherwise its a great looking, functional app.

Rowi and metrotwit(now dead) arent really that good to be honest so i'll not talk about them.
2. Youtube apps:
Metrotube is one of the first apps i'd tried since i'd used it on my windows phone a lot. It looks and functions great unsurprisingly.

Apart from this, i've also tried out primetube but the interface and functionality for that seems a bit lackluster and basic apart from way the youtube comments are laid out.

But the app which got me to switch to metro for youtube rather than using the browser for it was Hyper, which has a great looking interface, with the ability to download videos and to play them in the background.​

3. Music/audio apps
outcoldplayer (formerly gMusicW) is a godsend for me on my Surface Pro 2 since it has a limited amount of space to store a lot of my music. It looks great and the last.fm scrobbling, playlist/queuing features are really convenient.

As a spotify user, spotlite is a great app to navigate spotify on a tablet. It also has last.fm scrobbling which sometimes doesnt work.

I've struggled to find a competent podcast player on the store with opml importing and synching across devices but it doesnt exist as of now. I have settled on using PODCASTS! though, and though it did sync my subscriptions across computers, there was no mention of it on the description so ymmv. Podscout does seem like an extremely feature rich player, though it seems a bit steep to me.​

4. Video apps
If you want mass consumption of popular media, then videosnacker is a good solution. I have uninstalled this app because I wasnt a fan of the content, though the app is competent enough.

If you're into the whole vine thing, primevine is quite good. The interface is very nice, and I dont think any other app on the store comes close to the app in functionality.

Giant bomb video thing is an app about a site about video games. You can get HD videos and subscriber content by connecting the app to the website, and the app remembers your position on the the videos and podcasts. Podcasts also play in the background.

For twitch there are relatively recent apps called 8stream and game streams which are kinda basic in their current forms.

I don't use xbox video, and netflix works as it should.​

5. Comics/eBooks/News apps
Flipboard is the standard experience you'd expect from them.

Of all the RSS/News readers on the store, i've settled on Readiy Pro which has a great interface and can parse articles using a host of services. It also has pocket support which is key for me. Speaking of pocket, Latermark is a great app. You can use the share charm on any app to save to pocket via latermark.

For ebook reading there aren't many great looking apps, but Book bazaar reader is a highly functional app with all the features you would expect from an ebook reader. It does have ads though. Also it seems like the only app which will accept mobi format files competently.

If you want to read epub formats, cbr formats or pdf ebooks, then Cover is worth a try. It is a good looking, funcational app, but it requires a payment to make more than a certain amount of books readable. Dont know if its worth it, but I did make the payment and it seems worth it. Hopefully more features are added later.

For comic books, I found Komic reader to be great since it has a great portrait interface and it also has a lot of options to tinker with.

I tend to annotate PDFs a lot and since I cant really pay the huge amounts it costs for professional tools on the desktop side, I tried out Drawboard PDF which works out well with the stylus most of the times. It used to crash a lot previously but the dev is actively pushing out updates and now its relatively stable.

There's also the kindle app which is fairly substandard but you can read your amazon walled garden.​

6. Reddit apps
There are a whole load of reddit apps on the store so it makes for an exciting sift through the chaff to find the good ones. Depending on how you tend to use reddit, there's a bunch of options.

If you're more picture oriented rather than text or video, then Reddit8 is the best looking app. You can scroll between posts and it makes best use of the screen real estate on landscape mode. It really is a good looking app, though I do wish it had a dark skin option. Another option for scrolling between picture posts is Reddit! and although the interface doesn't look that good, gifs look really good on this app.

For more general purpose text reading, and videos Reddhub is great and is pretty close to the website experience, but with a lot more features to mess with. Similarly, Reddit to go!(seems to be down from the store momentarily) is great for text and videos.

Reddit with redditing provides a good balance of picture and comments on a post by structuring posts in a split screen on click through so that both the comments and the post itself are visible. Also handles imgur albums and switching between posts quite well.​

7. Misc. apps
Used to use My study life to keep track of uni stuff, and it really worked well. Plus it looks quite slick. Caveat: you have to sign up to their website to use the app.

Timemanage.me is a basic yet somewhat customizable pomodoro timer which works as it should.​

Does anyone know why the vast majority of full screen video that I play (YouTube, etc) comes out like this...

M1Y12uC.png

It usually fixes itself after a few seconds, but sometimes doesn't. I'm guessing it has something to do with HTML5 as it mostly does it on HD stuff.

Jzero

Does anyone know why the vast majority of full screen video that I play (YouTube, etc) comes out like this...

It usually fixes itself after a few seconds, but sometimes doesn't. I'm guessing it has something to do with HTML5 as it mostly does it on HD stuff.

Gross. Video card maybe?

That looks like a gpu that's about to die... Does it get super hot when that happens?

Could be a driver issue too, but since it's integrated graphics card i'm going with failing :(

That looks like a gpu that's about to die... Does it get super hot when that happens?

Nope, and it's only on video. Mostly on fullscreen, but also on some unexpanded videos. Only appears in the video window, so it's unlikely to be the GPU

Could be a driver issue too, but since it's integrated graphics card i'm going with failing :(

Most likely a driver issue as it's only been doing it since upgrading to 8.1 (vanilla 8 was fine), and like I say, it even does it on some videos that aren't expanded to full screen, but only in the video window.

Here's when I see it:

Some unexpanded videos (youtube, or most recently Flixter)
Most (a good 90%) of full screen videos

I even have it where videos look fine until I expand them, then they turn to shit. Sometimes they'll sort themselves out after 10-20secs of playback, some when I exit fullscreen mode and some never.

It's a perplexing and aggravating situation.

That's good. Perhaps a codec issue then? Do you have any codec packs or individual codecs installed?

And does this occurs on all browsers?

That's good. Perhaps a codec issue then? Do you have any codec packs or individual codecs installed?

And does this occurs on all browsers?

haven't installed any additional codecs. Not needed to yet.

I've only used IE so far, as I find it's perfectly usable as it is (it's a touchscreen hybrid tablet/ultrabook) and I usually use the touchscreen to navigate. I'll try a different browser when I get home.

I just installed Chrome, and it didn't do it, so it must be IE related. This is a pain in the arse, as I actually really like the 8.1 IE app, and found chrome awkward to use as when you put it in Win 8 app mode it basically turns into a version of ChromeOS. I like the chunkiness of IE, and how only the bare minimum appears on screen as and when I choose.

Here's an example of the corruption appearing in just a windowed video.

Nothing's ever simple!!!

Win 8.1 + Start8 = lovin' it. Like a lot of people, frustration/confusion upon first interaction with the UI lead to hatred. Now, however, it has surpassed Win7 as my favorite incarnation of the OS. I have a laptop and using an external mouse took it to another level with the whole scroll wheel press activating a window view of running applications like browser, video player, word processor, etc.

haven't installed any additional codecs. Not needed to yet.

I've only used IE so far, as I find it's perfectly usable as it is (it's a touchscreen hybrid tablet/ultrabook) and I usually use the touchscreen to navigate. I'll try a different browser when I get home.
Personally I have IE set as my default because Chrome doesn't support PlayTo on my Xbox in the devices charm.
...But yeah, your problem looks like it might have something to do with Codecs. Especially if its only IE which is causing the problem.

Personally I have IE set as my default because Chrome doesn't support PlayTo on my Xbox in the devices charm.
...But yeah, your problem looks like it might have something to do with Codecs. Especially if its only IE which is causing the problem.

I turned on Software rendering, and magically it worked too. Software rendering slows down every other site overall, though.

Guess I'll have to wait for some updates to hopefully fix it.

Man, I swear, if the next major release still has Vista icons for the main applications and tools …
It's been driving me nuts. I might look and see if there are any fan-made icon packs that fit the look a little better. I think not being able to change the color of text in title bars is a bigger (and more easily fixed) issue however.

It's great that a start menu is coming back. I kinda like the mini live tiles there, since I only ever use less than a dozen apps I should be able to fit all of them no problem.

Top Bottom