• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Jobiensis

You just said it yourself, those inconsistencies are convention so they're A-OK! Meanwhile you find it confusing that Metro apps launch in Metro and desktop apps launch in the desktop? I don't find it the least bit confusing. There are 2 types of programs and they run in different environments. And? The reasoning behind WHY they run in two different environments is quite clear to me and it makes sense.

The UI isn't confusing. I've never felt confused using Windows 8. There have been a couple of times I didn't know how to do something, so I looked it up. Now I know. Problem solved.

I'm looking through the Metro control panel and I'm not seeing anything in there that I can't do in the regular control panel except for stuff that relates specifically to Metro. So I'm not sure what you're referring to there.

I'm not sure what else I would have expected. Having two completely disparate environments is more confusing than one integrated environment. Metro is OK by itself, Desktop is OK, but they don't intermix well. Sure it's workable, and you can learn your way around it, but that is really irrelevant to the point on it being inconsistent.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I think I figured it out. In the network properties, link-layer topology was disabled on my windows 8 machine. I enabled those and I immediately was able to see the other computer.

Row

Banned
just got my new laptop today and honestly i was expecting much worse

I don't like metro being shoehorned in, but aside from startup it's been easy to completely ignore and use desktop just like you would in win7 for the most part. Ideally a start button gets added in and the option to ignore metro completely and just boot to the desktop gets added in an update for all those that want it, but as is it's really not much of an issue.

Zizbuka

Banned
The folders and icons on the desktop look very big in videos. I would like to see a screenshot of smaller icons on the Wndows 8 desktop. :)

Yeah, it's very easy to change, same as in Win7. When I installed Win8, for some reason all the desktop icons were set to large. Simply right-click desktop, select View and small icons. Now it's like Win7 was.

Pachimari

The good thing is, I don't have anything installed at all. My hard drive is about to die but I'll try out W8 on it and then install it again when I get myself a new HDD soon.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
facebook application spotted in web ad

VcjAz.jpg

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-facebook-app-spotted-in-an-advertisement

Jzero

facebook application spotted in web ad

http://i.imgur.com/VcjAz.jpg[/im]

[url="http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-facebook-app-spotted-in-an-advertisement"]http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8...-advertisement[/url][/quote]
Finally. Hopefully it includes integrated Facebook Messenger/Chat.

And yes guys i know Windows Messaging already does that.

Pachimari

I'm about to upgrade from Vista to W8 but a QUICK QUESTION: if my hard drive dies and I install a new hard drive, will I be able to upgrade to W8 again without having to pay again?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'm about to upgrade from Vista to W8 but a QUICK QUESTION: if my hard drive dies and I install a new hard drive, will I be able to upgrade to W8 again without having to pay again?
there is a work around to installing it on a new drive. you can install it fine on a new drive, but it won't be activated. I believe if you do this then I think it works:
Activate Windows 8 Pro Upgrade

Windows 8 users who noticed that the operating system can’t be activated after the installation may want to try the following workaround that worked to activate when installing Windows 8 using an upgrade on a clean PC.

•Open regedit by pressing Windows-q, entering regedit and selecting the result from the list of hits.
•Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
•Change MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0
•Go back to the start screen and enter cmd there.
•Right-click Command Prompt and select to run it as administrator.
•Type slmgr /rearm on the command line and hit enter.
•Reboot Windows now.
•Run the activation utility afterwards, enter your product key to activate Windows.
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/windows-8-upgrade-clean-install-possible/

BeeDog

Anyone else have a problem with 8 randomly restarting?

When my stationary started to do the same, I checked the CPU fan sensors and noticed the temperature shot up to absurd levels. I then checked the thermal grease and noticed almost all of it had disappeared.

Try checking your motherboard sensors for off-the-charts temperatures; PC's have a habit of shutting down/restarting if some H/W reaches critical levels.

Yes, knowing whether the folder is Visual Studio 2010 or Visual Studio 2008 is fairly useful.
Folder? Oh you mean the all apps view?

Well, you can pin all the icons you need to the start screen and group them as you please... Which is also faster than scrolling through a list of folders with no visual indication of the group.

Pachimari

Ugh.

"The installation of Windows 8 were not completed"

It's now recovering Windows Vista. :(

Could it be because my hard drive is damaged?

Has anyone else had a problem with taskbar icons randomly disappearing? I've had a couple pinned apps change to a generic icon, and right now I have Desura minimized to the notification area but the icon is invisible.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm not sure what else I would have expected. Having two completely disparate environments is more confusing than one integrated environment. Metro is OK by itself, Desktop is OK, but they don't intermix well. Sure it's workable, and you can learn your way around it, but that is really irrelevant to the point on it being inconsistent.

I disagree with you fundamentally because I don't spend my day in the OS UI, I spend my day using software. I'm constantly using disparate UIs. During the course of any day I'm moving from Photoshop to Zbrush to Firefox to Cubase to games. My screen is filled with different UIs and colour schemes and styles. Metro is just another launcher. I press a key or click in the lower left and my "launcher" pops up, I click my tile and I move on. It's not any more complicated than that. Sure I sometimes use Metro apps, but they behave and work in the way I expect them to, yet I don't expect them to be desktop apps. Just like I don't expect Zbrush to have the same UI as Word.

My girlfriend is a classic example of someone who hates change and she gets easily frustrated when she doesn't know how to do something on her computer, but amazingly, I've never heard her complain about Windows 8 once. She pinned the stuff to she uses to her taskbar and she keeps all her files on her desktop. Occasionally she'll launch something with Metro but she's never been confused or frustrated with the UI.

I understand that you have a specific workflow that you use regarding search and that that workflow has been broken, so I hope for your sake they improve that aspect, but for my personal workflow Windows 8 is faster.

Pachimari

Seems the driver for my WLAN dongle hasn't been installed but I can't get them without an Internet connection...

Should I plug in an Ethernet cable and install the drivers from the net and then see if I can connect to my wireless network with the dongle?

Jzero

Seems the driver for my WLAN dongle hasn't been installed but I can't get them without an Internet connection...

Should I plug in an Ethernet cable and install the drivers from the net and then see if I can connect to my wireless network with the dongle?
Yes.

MCD

Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition is now on the store (just a link).

Does this mean the 16+ restriction is now lifted?

Jzero

Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition is now on the store (just a link).

Does this mean the 16+ restriction is now lifted?
I'm pretty sure i read an article a couple of weeks ago that they were going to allow mature games.

kitch9

Banned

No need to "upgrade" once the upgrade has been done and verified your Win 8 key will then act as a retail key so you can clean install away after the initial upgrade.

Only if you try to use your old Vista key again will you have to upgrade again.

If anyone wouldn't mind helping me out, I have a couple of questions:

Right now I have Windows Vista 64-bit installed, however the €29.99 price for Windows 8 Pro has me interested. If I upgraded, where are the main areas I would see performance improvements? Would game performance improve from Vista? Or has Vista now reached the point where its performance in gaming has caught-up with Windows 7 and beyond?

How is the start-up/boot time on a normal 7200rpm HDD? Would I see much difference there?

Are there known issues with older programs and Windows 8, such as 90s and early-00s PC games not working, GOG.com titles or old games on Steam and things like that?

Also, my Steam library is currently installed on my 2nd HDD. Because its a massive size, I really don't want to have to redownload any of it. How would I set up this Steam library on a new install of Windows 8? I ask because I haven't upgraded an OS before and had to carry over games.

hemtae

Are there known issues with older programs and Windows 8, such as 90s and early-00s PC games not working, GOG.com titles or old games on Steam and things like that?

Also, my Steam library is currently installed on my 2nd HDD. Because its a massive size, I really don't want to have to redownload any of it. How would I set up this Steam library on a new install of Windows 8? I ask because I haven't upgraded an OS before and had to carry over games.

Can't help with the first two questions, but the only problems I have had game wise would be running crysis 2 in dx11 mode and getting the morrowind graphics extender working. I only have 5 games from gog but they all work even with mods.

Steam has instructions if you need to move your entire steam catalog.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

I'm probably being a total idiot but I cannot find a Windows 8 ISO download anywhere on the Windows store.

I'm building a new PC without a disk drive so I need to mount the file to a USB stick and install it from there. Despite reading everywhere that Windows are offering 8 as an ISO download I just can't find it.

I'm in the UK if that helps.

Top Bottom