• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

SteveWD40

A buddy of mine is trying to convince me of how horrible W8 is..

It's pretty love it or hate it, sadly many people feel the need to exert their opinions on others to justify / re-enforce them (several posters on Gaf have made it into a faux religious crusade for example).

If it's right for you then go for it.

Pachimari

It's pretty love it or hate it, sadly many people feel the need to exert their opinions on others to justify / re-enforce them (several posters on Gaf have made it into a faux religious crusade for example).

If it's right for you then go for it.

Yea, I guess it'll be right for me. I'll use it for web browsing, documents and programming websites and databases - that's it. I wonder if I can play old games like Mafia on W8 but it's not a gaming machine really.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Alright, I think I'll upgrade.

It plays nice with a Nokia Lumia 800, so that I can edit word and excel documents and save them in SkyDrive?
Also, is Windows 8 horrible for Photoshop, Dreamweaver and such? A buddy of mine is trying to convince me of how horrible W8 is..

No, if anything it's better since it has better memory management and I find the OS is snappier than 7. Currently I'm running Photoshop CS6, Maya, Mudbox and MARI at the same time. The only games I had that didn't work were Aion and Tera, and that was only for a short time after they changed something in their anti-hacking program and it was while Windows 8 was still in beta.

It plays nice with a Nokia Lumia 800, so that I can edit word and excel documents and save them in SkyDrive?
Also, is Windows 8 horrible for Photoshop, Dreamweaver and such? A buddy of mine is trying to convince me of how horrible W8 is..

Yeah anything you save to your SkyDrive on your phone, you'll be able to pull up the new document on your computer no problem.

I haven't heard of any issues with Photoshop or Dreamweaver, but I don't use those applications myself. With a few exceptions, pretty much all Windows 7 desktop applications work fine in Windows 8.

Edit: beaten

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

everything should work fine. Windows 8 is just Windows 7 plus a full screen start menu (which you may or may not like, there are 3rd party tools if you want the start menu back). Tell your friend that I said he was an idiot. Also, you will need to reinstall all of your applications going from Vista to 8. They don't carry over like when you upgrade from 7. I believe its just documents and settings that carry over.

Pachimari

Is there any connectivity between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 7.5? Like, being able to send a SMS from W8 or seeing my Lumia 800 contacts on W8?

I got Macs and iOS devices in the household but I'm trying to get into Windows again. :)

cbox

Just installed w8 on every pc in my house, is there a way to get the 360 controller to control the interface?

surly

Banned

All the software I was using on Windows 7 works perfectly on Windows 8, aside from: -

Hotline Miami, an indie game on Steam that's pretty buggy generally, but I can't even get past the title screen on Windows 8. To be fair though, I didn't even try this on Windows 7 so it may not be Windows 8-specific.

Adobe Audition 1.5, which is a multitrack DAW released in 2004. In Windows 7, I could drag and drop audio files into it via Windows Explorer. That doesn't work in Windows 8, but everything else functions as it should.

I'm using Photoshop on Windows 8 and it works great.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Is there any connectivity between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 7.5? Like, being able to send a SMS from W8 or seeing my Lumia 800 contacts on W8?

I got Macs and iOS devices in the household but I'm trying to get into Windows again. :)

As long as you use the same Live account with Windows 8 that you do on your phone all your contacts will sync and show up in your People app like they do on your phone. You can send SMS messages with Skype.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Just installed w8 on every pc in my house, is there a way to get the 360 controller to control the interface?
not officially. the Start Screen accepts keyboard input so I assume someone can figure out how to get a 360 controller to navigate the UI at some point, if they haven't already.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Is there a way to display multiple user accounts on the lock screen? Setting up a family laptop and it would be nice to have.

Azih

As long as you use the same Live account with Windows 8 that you do on your phone all your contacts will sync and show up in your People app like they do on your phone. You can send SMS messages with Skype.

But apps don't carry over correct? How about to windows phone 8?

StudioTan

But apps don't carry over correct? How about to windows phone 8?

No, they're based on the same kernel but they're still different OSs.

SteveWD40

All the software I was using on Windows 7 works perfectly on Windows 8, aside from: -

Hotline Miami, an indie game on Steam that's pretty buggy generally, but I can't even get past the title screen on Windows 8. To be fair though, I didn't even try this on Windows 7 so it may not be Windows 8-specific.

I play Hotline Miami on W8 without issue so you might want to look into that at your end.

What is it about the extend feature you don't like?

I can tell you that Windows 8 works better with dual displays in that you can access the Start screen on any monitor, you have independent control of your desktop backgrounds and taskbar functions are more intelligent.

In Windows 8 you bring up the Start screen by moving your mouse to the lower left corner and you bring up the Charms bar by bringing your mouse to the upper or lower right corners. This functions the same on any monitor which means that whether you're on your main screen or second screen you can always access the Start screen and if you're launching a Metro app it will open on the screen you launched it on, as opposed to the last screen it was open on.

You can have different desktop wallpapers on each monitor or extend a wallpaper across all displays.

The taskbar can now be duplicated on all monitors so that all your pinned programs show up on each monitor, or you can set it to only show programs running on that monitor on your taskbar.
To answer your question basically all the stuff you mentioned I have not seen on W7 especially the start bar stuff which sounds good. Either the extended desktop didn't work like it does on 8 or I have not used it properly so far on 7.

Well thanks for the explanation. Sounds really good (as does the rest of w8) I'm just going to take the plunge now as I'm kinda bored with 7 and need some novelty.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I just installed today, my only real issue is that windows update keeps failing. lol

xJavonta

Banned

Photoshop CS5.5 works fine on Windows 8. You're buddy probably hasn't used W8 and is making assumptions based on shit he's heard on the internet from the RC days.

As for Dreamweaver, I don't know. Couldn't tell you myself since I hate it and prefer to just code everything by hand.

Jzero

I just installed today, my only real issue is that windows update keeps failing. lol

You may have to install the updates one by one.

He is completely bullshitting. I've used both CS5 and CS6 suites and they both work like they did on Windows 7.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I wanted to ask someone for help regarding my shitty situation. Second defective Windows 8 product I'm getting, and it's really getting on my nerves.

After getting a shitty Surface RT, I ordered a Samsung ATIV 500T from Newegg. I received it today and booted it up and was presented with a pre-installed and pre-configured OS. I didn't input any info of mine, as if it was used. When I try to log in it tells me I'm an "Other User" and I have to log in with my local account/domain or my MS Account. I can't log in with my MS account because the thing isn't even connected to one of my networks yet.

Did Newegg send me a used product? What the fuck? Is there a way to restore this thing to factory settings before I break it into pieces?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Try using the "reset PC" option. Maybe that will get you back to initial setup.

Where does it say that? Just called Samsung customer service and they told me to restore it to factory settings, but once I did that it told me Recovery error or some shit like that.

aaaaa0

Where does it say that? Just called Samsung customer service and they told me to restore it to factory settings, but once I did that it told me Recovery error or some shit like that.

Settings Charm -> Change PC Settings (at the bottom) -> General -> "Remove everything and reinstall Windows"

Edit: Oh wait, it won't even let you log in at all? Yeah go yell at newegg.

Jzero

If it doesn't even let you log-in you can try this even though it's not for your device.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Can I create a recovery drive with Windows 7? I don't have another Windows 8 PC so how would that work?

Has anyone ran into an issue where the bar at the top (app bar?) or the bar at the right (charms?) don't respond correctly all the time? For the former I've ran into an issue where the cursor changes but it doesn't let me drag. And for the latter it recognize a left click on any of the options but doesn't do anything.

Noticed it when installing/configuring my mother's new PC which came with it preinstalled. My only guess is that Win8 has issues responding either action when it's doing something in the background, but the Metro app performs fine so I'm not exactly sure.

Dynoro

Enjoying W8 so far, but just one issue: when I copy files from my W8 PC to the NAS or another PC it hogs all the network traffic from the W8 PC. This means that If I'm streaming a vid (like a QL on GiantBomb) it suddenly dies until the network transfer finishes. W7 never did this; it just balanced the available bandwidth allowing both to continue at a slower speed. I don't see how it can be my router as everything else in the house works fine and the same PC worked fine in W7.

Anyone else seen this or how to fix it?

AnkitT

The slapdash podacast metro app is pretty decent for managing podcasts. Also helps that there is virtually no competition to it.

Is there a way to display multiple user accounts on the lock screen? Setting up a family laptop and it would be nice to have.

When you're at the login screen for the last logged in user, click the back arrow to the upper left of the profile picture. You should then be able to see all the users on the machine.

Before the users show up there, you will need to add the user accounts if you haven't already (Settings charm -> Change PC Settings -> Users -> Add Users).

Pachimari

Why would anyone want to do this?

If anything you should go back to W7. Not Vista. Even that is kinda unnecessary.

I don't have Windows 7, only Windows Vista on disc. That's why I would go back to Vista, IF I couldn't get used to how Windows 8 works when it comes to setting up databases, MAMP, website programming etc.

So I guess it's possible? :)

Enco

I don't have Windows 7, only Windows Vista on disc. That's why I would go back to Vista, IF I couldn't get used to how Windows 8 works when it comes to setting up databases, MAMP, website programming etc.

So I guess it's possible? :)
I suppose it's possible but generally 8/7 >>>>> Vista.

Zizbuka

Banned
My main complaint right now, is the lack of customizations on the Start screen.

Is there a way to control the layout of tiles?

Example:

I have a bunch of desktop games in Start. I added them alphabetically, so that's how they were added. Unfortunately, Start wants to do everything in 2 columns. So they're sorted top to bottom, with the first 2 columns in order.

Is there a way to control the number of columns in a group?

Zizbuka

Banned
Yes that's my impression too. :)

Let's say I upgrade to W7/W8 and my HDD crashed. Will I be able to install W7/W8 again on a new HDD? Will I get a download key?

I think anyone can download the OS, it's the key that's ...... well key. I downloaded the update, selected the "make a bootable DVD" option, and installed from the DVD. I wrote the key on the DVD, so no worries I think.

After you do the actual upgrade, you can also created a recovery disc.

PG2G

Is there a way to control the number of columns in a group?

It doesn't really create a new group unless you force it to by dragging a tile out of the group. And the number of columns in a group should grow as you add apps and fill the columns

Top Bottom