• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

JaggedSac

Does anyone have problems with the SkyDrive Desktop to start up automatically upon bootup? I reinstalled it a couple of times now, and it won't turn on. I had to make a shortcut to the exe file in my C drive to open it.

No, mine works fine. Is it showing up in the task manager as a start up task in the start up task tab?

SUPARSTARX

1. Open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0".

2. Open up elevated command line and type in : slmgr /rearm then hit enter

3. Reboot PC

4. Activate through control panel

This is meant to work for doing clean installs from upgrade media but might work for you.

Not working. We've been doing that the entire time. The activation kept yielding an unknown error that nobody seems to know how to fix without reformatting lol. :(

Xyphie

So I put in my new CPU and motherboard and it triggered Windows to deactivate my key.

I was on phone with tech support for like an hour and they couldn't fix it. They kept trying to refresh the product key with new ones and it wouldn't work.

I'm using the Windows 8 Pro w/free Media Center upgrade pack. It kept giving an unknown error.

It's still unresolved right now. Any idea on how I can reactivate my shiznit without reinstall?

Did you try a phone activation? That's what you usually have to do if you do change significant hardware in the machine. Press Win-R and type "SLUI 4", pick your country and follow the instructions there.

Echoplx

I want to upgrade from Win7 to Win8. If I have a 32bits Win7, can I upgrade to 64bits Win8?

I don't think so, not with the upgrade version at least.

There is a workaround though, the Win8 upgrade doesn't require a registered version of 7 to work, so just download and install 7 64bit, let it run as a trial then install 8 from bootable media.

If you don't want to do a complete wipe/fresh install I'm not sure.

notworksafe

I want to upgrade from Win7 to Win8. If I have a 32bits Win7, can I upgrade to 64bits Win8?

Yes, sorta...but it'd be a clean install so not really an upgrade

So wait a second. Is there a way to actually upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8?

Yes.

Yes, there is. But you can’t do it electronically. Instead, you will need to purchase the retail Windows 8 Pro Upgrade media, which is currently $30 more expensive (or $69.99) than the electronic upgrade. This package provides both 32-bit and 64-bit media, so you can choose which to use. (In case this isn’t obvious, you can’t actually do an in-place upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version fo Windows 8. Only clean installs (“Custom” install type) are supported.
http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-upgrade-32bit-64bit-144649

My girlfriend wants a Surface Tab mainly for the form factor and the ace little kickstand/keyboard and the fact you can disconnect/flip the keyboard around and use it like a tablet. Thing is she wants it as featured as a laptop.

I know the Surface pro or whatever editions are due out within a few months. Are these her only options in terms of what she wants? She's not looking at anything crazy but I don't want her to get some piece of shit laptop - she already has a OK laptop anyway, basically her nees are play some low tech games like Sims, go on facebook/email/office documents, and downloading movies and streaming them to various devices. Combined with the form factor. Surface pro the way to go? Or is there another competitor already on the market/coming that will use that similar style of keyboard... or is that just an MS surface thing?

railGUN

Banned
I upgraded my Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 8 64 bit without having to pay extra. Of course you have to do a clean install, but here is how I did it:

1. I downloaded a Windows 7 64 bit .iso, and made a boot DVD from it.

2. I booted from the DVD and did a fresh install of the Windows 7 64 bit, and just clicked next at the Product Key section. (This meant my install was non-genuine).

3. I then ran the Upgrade Assistant which found and downloaded the 64 bit version of Windows 8, which I then made a DVD (.iso) bootable media from.

4. I then booted from the Windows 8 DVD and did another clean install (formatting my drive, since it was now wiped anyways). When it asked for my key, I put in my Windows 8 key.

Worked like a charm.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
My girlfriend wants a Surface Tab mainly for the form factor and the ace little kickstand/keyboard and the fact you can disconnect/flip the keyboard around and use it like a tablet. Thing is she wants it as featured as a laptop.

I know the Surface pro or whatever editions are due out within a few months. Are these her only options in terms of what she wants? She's not looking at anything crazy but I don't want her to get some piece of shit laptop - she already has a OK laptop anyway, basically her nees are play some low tech games like Sims, go on facebook/email/office documents, and downloading movies and streaming them to various devices. Combined with the form factor. Surface pro the way to go? Or is there another competitor already on the market/coming that will use that similar style of keyboard... or is that just an MS surface thing?
no. There are many ways to go.

Windows RT = ARM
Windows 8 = Clovertrail (new atom), Core i3/i5/i7

Clovertrail = better battery life, thinner designs
Core = better performance

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=489163

Help!

I need an i5 tablet this year. I have €900 budget.

I ordered w700 but that was pushed back till january or something. Is there ANY alternative?

Too bad vaio duo 11 or 700t are >1000

dLMN8R

I don't know; I tend to get the detonation challenges first time every day. The Flags challenge is what gets me as I feel I always have to guess the last flag as there's no definite mine spot left.

The 'moves' challenge can be pain, you are right; it should just fail the challenge if you don't have enough moves to complete.

But I don't get it - take the following screenshot for example. All my extra clicks were consumed by dead-ends that led to guesses, and I had no more moves I could do. So now I'm left with 54 mines to find, but only 53 moves to do it in - I've already lost the game, so why doesn't the game just tell me that and end?

Am I missing something here, or do I just suck at Minesweeper? :p

4qBLL.png

mike23

But I don't get it - take the following screenshot for example. All my extra clicks were consumed by dead-ends that led to guesses, and I had no more moves I could do. So now I'm left with 54 mines to find, but only 53 moves to do it in - I've already lost the game, so why doesn't the game just tell me that and end?

Am I missing something here, or do I just suck at Minesweeper? :p

4qBLL.png

On the top, where it's "1,2,3,3", the spot above the first 3 is a mine. The 2 next to a 1 on a flat wall is a good one to look out for. The spot furthest away from the 1 will be a mine since you can't have two mines touching the 1, make sense? That frees up the left-most block touching that 1, because it touches two blocks that you know contain 1 mine. That might get you a few more moves.

Code:
O??M?
edit: syko de4d beat me on that one, but didn't mention the free spot it opens up

On the bottom left, the bottom block touching the 2 is not a mine.

Code:
?3
?2
OM

That's what I see. Minesweeper is unforgiving though. A lot of the time you end up in a situation where you have no sure move.

SUPARSTARX

Did you try a phone activation? That's what you usually have to do if you do change significant hardware in the machine. Press Win-R and type "SLUI 4", pick your country and follow the instructions there.

Yeah, I was on the phone with the techs. They pumped out new keys for me and it still didn't work lol.

I'm going to end up reformatting sooner or later. It'll be fast but w/e, it can't be helped.

JaggedSac

And don't make a guess until you absolutely have to, the board might open up and make it no longer a guess. Finally decided to give the full screen ads on the challenges a bit more forgiveness. Ended up completing all of them for December and the ad only came up about 4 times. Not too bad.

scently

Guys I need some help. i just got a new pc with windows 8 (samsung ativ 700t) and I am trying to download and update some apps but it cannot download, giving me error "0x8024001e". What is wrong?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Quick question, can you remove your debit/credit card easily from the store menu?

I ask because of my experience with MS, and XBL. Once you entered a cc, you couldn't remove it unless you called, or added a new one.

MCD

Quick question, can you remove your debit/credit card easily from the store menu?

I ask because of my experience with MS, and XBL. Once you entered a cc, you couldn't remove it unless you called, or added a new one.

I removed my old CC with a click of a button in the MS billing website.

Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are much more flexible in terms of managing accounts and region.

It's only the Xbox team who are stuck in 2005.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I removed my old CC with a click of a button in the MS billing website.

Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are much more flexible in terms of managing accounts and region.

It's only the Xbox team who are stuck in 2005.

Yeah, I have always found that weird. Anyway, thank you.

scently

google "0x8024001e"

I have done that and I have found a variety on solutions but none seems to work, or they will just work briefly before going back to the way it was.

Please I really need some help here. I can't download new apps neither can I update the ones I have already.

I don't know if it has something to do withregion. So how do you check your marketplace or account region?

MCD

I have done that and I have found a variety on solutions but none seems to work, or they will just work briefly before going back to the way it was.

Please I really need some help here. I can't download new apps neither can I update the ones I have already.

If all else fails, use the restore option in Charms Bar --> Settings --> Change PC Settings --> General

Or hold SHIFT key when selecting "Restart PC" in Charms Bar.

Edit: Marketplace region can be simply changed by going to Control Panel --> Clock, Language, and Region --> Region --> Location tab. Restart Marketplace afterwards.

Maybe we can get Riker to post this on the OT side of the forum, now that the usual OT hater is banned (can't remember his username).

Google doesn't care about Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8:

Speaking to V3, the firm's product management director at Google Apps, Clay Bavor, said that due to what it sees as a lack of interest from its clients on the systems, it is holding back on any work at present.

"We have no plans to build out Windows apps. We are very careful about where we invest and will go where the users are but they are not on Windows Phone or Windows 8," he said.

"If that changes, we would invest there, of course."
http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2231503/google-shuns-windows-8-for-app-development

MCD

Read that earlier.

I'd be mad but then I remembered how MS supported IOS and Android before even supporting their own mobile OS with many apps and services. So even MS do not care lol.

One thing though: no matter how MetroTube, Youtube RT are good, it is really shitty not having official apps no matter how one can spin it. I'd have loved an official Youtube plugin or the sort on WP8 but alas, we are too small for the mighty Google to care (read: SCROOGLE US).

Not sure if this is always the case, but the levels I've done so far seem to be set up to account for guesses (e.g. if there are three spots you'll have to guess, it gives you three more moves than mines).

Biff

Hey guys,

So I got a cheap Windows 8 upgrade code because I bought my laptop within a promo range or whatever.

In order to use the code, I have to use Window's "Upgrade Assistant". I don't want to upgrade yet though... I just want a cheap Win 8 key to keep for when I am ready to upgrade.

My question:
If I redeem the code through the Upgrade Assistant, I assume it is going to want to upgrade my O/S then and there... Will I get an option to skip the upgrade and just save the Win 8 key instead?

This FAQ didn't really answer my question. I only have one promo code so I don't want to screw it up. Thanks :)

Quick

Banned
Local, only because my Microsoft Account password is different, and I want to keep my current local password. If I can have a Microsoft Account, while staying with a local password for my login, I'd switch.

derFeef

Local, only because my Microsoft Account password is different, and I want to keep my current local password. If I can have a Microsoft Account, while staying with a local password for my login, I'd switch.

I use MS account and use a PIN to login on my PC, I think password works too?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I didn't see the option, it's PIN, MS Account password, or Local Account password.

And picture password. Why don't you want to use a pin?

Are there any alternate browsers and keyboards in the store yet?

Much like iOS, the best thing you can hope for is a different skin for the browser (like Chrome for iOS). But don't expect something like a full Chrome port.

e: For some reason I thought this was the Windows Phone thread.

Firehead

Is there any way to make programs run as admin without having to right-click it every time or going through the properties menu and choosing "Run as administrator"? I don't remember having this problem in 7...

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Is there any way to make programs run as admin without having to right-click it every time or going through the properties menu and choosing "Run as administrator"? I don't remember having this problem in 7...
properties-shortcut-advanced-run as admin

Top Bottom