• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

SteveWD40

I am thinking of getting a Surface Pro for this reason, MS won't throw a load of 2002 era crap software on there for the lulz (and because they got big fat payments from said company's to do it).

I am thinking of getting a Surface Pro for this reason, MS won't throw a load of 2002 era crap software on there for the lulz (and because they got big fat payments from said company's to do it).

If you want a crapware free PC, you can buy any PC from the Microsoft store. They all come with clean installations.

aaaaa0

A very long story made short:

A Windows Update caused my computer to fail to boot to Windows, forcing me to do a "refresh". Thankfully, the files were kept in the Windows.old directory and I was able to copy/paste a few things back over.

A few updates and restarts later, and most of Windows.old has disappeared. The size of the folder is tiny and the only subfolder now is "Users" with the old files there remaining intact. Did Windows just delete all the files I failed to migrate over in time?

It hasn't been a great week with Windows for me...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/11/21/improving-the-setup-experience.aspx

Speaking of the Windows.old folder, we have also added a new feature that automatically deletes that folder 4 weeks after a successful install, so you don’t have to worry about removing it. Of course, you can still use the Disk Cleanup tool to remove it immediately if you prefer.

You had 4 weeks to move everything over...

derFeef

This is why I want to see Surface Pro succeed and destroy the fuckers.

They have apps but NO! HAVE SOME BLOAT DESKTOP APPS AT YOU!

Random electronic store salesman: "But this one from Acer comes with a lot more Software, like Norton Antivirus, which I can highly recommend"

Mr_Zombie

This is why I want to see Surface Pro succeed and destroy the fuckers.

They have apps but NO! HAVE SOME BLOAT DESKTOP APPS AT YOU!

Here in Poland Samsung advertises its Win8 laptops with "it's the only laptop with so many Polish apps [preinstalled]". The moment my mom created her account on her new laptop, we went through all those apps and in the process of "will you use it? yes/no" we uninstalled almost all of them. :|

MrHicks

Banned
is there ANY windows 8 tablet around the price of the nexus 7?
they all seem to be hundreds and hundreds of euro/dollars more expensive?

i mean i WANT a win8 tablet but i'm not paying 1K for it
how the feck is MS gonna establish themselves with prices like that

Theoretically, Windows tablets start at 499. Look for the Acer W510, if you can find one.

hope more stuff like this comes out
can't believe MS's "official" tablet/surface range is so expensive

?

The Surface with Windows RT starts at 499, unless you specifically mean the Pro model. But even there I'd say that the same suggest that it isn't for the average consumer.

MrHicks

Banned
?

The Surface with Windows RT starts at 499, unless you specifically mean the Pro model. But even there I'd say that the same suggest that it isn't for the average consumer.

doesn't that acer run desktop windows8?
you need to pay 1k for the same stuff for surface?

Nevasleep

So when you're playing sound in Metro apps it gets quieter if you multitask?
Anybody else find that, and anyway to stop it? and....who thought that would be a good idea.

Hmm apparently it might be a bug.

doesn't that acer run desktop windows8?
you need to pay 1k for the same stuff for surface?

The Surface with Windows 8 Pro is a completely different class of device, compared to the Acer W510.

The Surface got a 1920x1080 display, an Intel Core i5 CPU, 4 GB RAM, a Wacom stylus. It's a pro device through and through.

The Acer has a 1366x768 display, an Intel Atom and 2 GB RAM.

Thanks for the link! But it was definitely not four weeks; it was closer to about eight hours. My guess is that there's an option somewhere that I didn't check, or that running another Windows Update did disk cleanup. Again, the folder still exists, but "Users" is the only subfolder.

So when you're playing sound in Metro apps it gets quieter if you multitask?
Anybody else find that, and anyway to stop it? and....who thought that would be a good idea.

Hmm apparently it might be a bug.
Try going into the control panel > hardware and sound > sound > communications tab and select "do nothing". I noticed that Windows was automatically lowering the system volume whenever I would have multiple programs open, and that setting stopped it. It's silly that it's on by default.

nan0

Try going into the control panel > hardware and sound > sound > communications tab and select "do nothing". I noticed that Windows was automatically lowering the system volume whenever I would have multiple programs open, and that setting stopped it. It's silly that it's on by default.

This setting should only affect incoming telephone calls (and was disabled by default on my system), I don't think it has something to do with Metro.

Edit: According to this MSDN Post it seems application-dependent. The developer can decide, but should adhere to Microsofts recommendations.

Nevasleep

This setting should only affect incoming telephone calls (and was disabled by default on my system), I don't think it has something to do with Metro.

Edit: According to this MSDN Post it seems application-dependent. The developer can decide, but should adhere to Microsofts recommendations.
Just uninstalled Start8 and that seems to have fixed it. Or might have been SecretMoblin's suggestion as I did restart too.
Thanks for the link nan0.

waxer

I have my computer set to stay on but display shut off after 10min inactivity. When the display shuts off the fans speed up. Whats the best way to figure out was causing this?

Xian

Neo Member

Don't bother wasting your time waiting for something comparable to the N7. It won't come.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I dunno. It kinda comes off as insulting. Saying "What? You can't figure out Windows 8? This small child can!"

Cute yes. But something something child labor laws something something. ;)

ESPN and TBS are both regularly running TV ads for their Windows 8 apps. Something I didn't really think we'd see, at least not this early.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Make people feel stupid....yeah, that will get them to buy what you're selling.
That's what I said! They start out with a man clearly having trouble finding his way around the completely new interface and send in a child to make him feel even more computer illiterate.

Like I said weeks ago, you could possibly only feel this way if you've made you're mind up about the OS before even using it. It's the exact reaction someone whose made learning a personal offense would have and Windows 8 probably isn't that person's first venture down this path of irrational behavior.

HoTHiTTeR

It's easy to convince an iOS skeptic that the iPad or iPhone is amazingly simple to operate - just give it to a 4yr old and watch them go to town. You're either an idiot, or you're convinced owning a 'next generation smart device thingy" won't be that scary.

So very glad to see ads like this for Windows 8. I hope that RT keeps growing and the VivoTab gets more and more end-user support.

Love it. Big criticism against Windows 8 is "you can't learn it/it's unintuitive!"

Ad shows how simple it actually is to use once you learn it. "You're making people feel dumb!"

popeutlal

- Can I check the battery percentage by not going into desktop mode?
- Why does the virtual keyboard not pop up automatically when click on text input fields in desktop mode?
- Is there a free youtube app that displays you subscriptions?

To be perfectly honest, you should feel dumb if you can't figure out Windows 8.

And finally, Anandtech's W510 review.

The 16:9 aspect ratio of the tablet isn’t the most natural unfortunately. Despite the light weight, the W510 ends up feeling a bit long as a result. There’s nothing that can be done about that unfortunately.

Optimizing around 16:9 delivers a much better video viewing and multitasking experience, at the expense of pretty much ruining portrait mode aspirations and making for a slightly awkward in-hand feel.

Glad to see that I'm not insane.

kazinova

- Why does the virtual keyboard not pop up automatically when click on text input fields in desktop mode?

-Charms?
-Because you might a USB keyboard plugged in if you're in desktop mode.
-www.youtube.com?

popeutlal

-Charms?
-Because you might a USB keyboard plugged in if you're in desktop mode.
-www.youtube.com?
-Charm just displays a battery icon, doesn't give the percentage left.
-What if I might not....shouldn't Windows be smart enough to detect this?
-So I assume there is no youtube app that displays your subscriptions.

SPDIF

No, there's no other way.

Strangely I seem to remember the virtual keyboard automatically popping up in Windows 7, yet in Windows 8, they seem to have removed that feature. No idea why.

From a quick search this seems to be what you want. There is an ad supported free version.

popeutlal

Sweet, I'll try out that youtube app. I'm trying to live in the metro ui as much as possible...but MS has made that really hard.

You can't even change IE settings without going into a completely different ui with completely different performance. Silly MS.

Is there a Windows 8 problems thread?

I just purchased the Windows 8 pro upgrade online and have had the worst time attempting to install it.

I did the upgrade advisor and it said nothing other than a couple programs that I uninstalled.

I have done the web/iso/thumbdrive installations including the "keep your files/settings" and "keep nothing" type of installs.

Every installation attempt ends with "prepping devices " which is all pixelated and the monitor goes black and hard drive activity stops.
After rebooting it goes back to win 7.

My sys:

Windows 7 64bit
Amd Athlon II X3 3.1ghz
Gygabyte mobo w/ Geforce 7025/Nforce 630 chipset.
4gb DDR3
Geforce GTX 460 1Gb
500gb Sata HDD

My apologies if I sm bring up a seriously old thread.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Is there a Windows 8 problems thread?

I just purchased the Windows 8 pro upgrade online and have had the worst time attempting to install it.

I did the upgrade advisor and it said nothing other than a couple programs that I uninstalled.

I have done the web/iso/thumbdrive installations including the "keep your files/settings" and "keep nothing" type of installs.

Every installation attempt ends with "prepping devices " which is all pixelated and the monitor goes black and hard drive activity stops.
After rebooting it goes back to win 7.

My sys:

Windows 7 64bit
Amd Athlon II X3 3.1ghz
Gygabyte mobo w/ Geforce 7025/Nforce 630 chipset.
4gb DDR3
Geforce GTX 460 1Gb
500gb Sata HDD

My apologies if I sm bring up a seriously old thread.
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...l/thread/ae3be171-7ce1-457c-a219-03d8291e7eb2

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1195-73-solved-windows-install-stuck-preparing

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ices-100/d3a1ab70-4d97-4fe4-b9a5-03ffa0a60760

https://www.google.com/search?q=pre...85eab7585a76de&bpcl=40096503&biw=1280&bih=657

jimi_dini

Problem is that Metro in Windows 8 is handling a mouse/touchpad like a touchscreen.

You know what you never do on a touchscreen? Swipe to get somewhere. You simply touch. But on a touchpad/mouse you move the cursor. Sometimes to the right, because you want to point somewhere to the right. Which means switching applications by swiping in that case is a fucking stupid idea to do.

Anybody come across the issue where you can't "trust your PC" because the Microsoft account settings wont update for a month?

This is what I get...

iOxypC9ztmbjw.jpg

but when I follow the link it asks to send an email to an account that has been deleted. I select the option that I no longer have access to that address.

Which brings me to...

A month!

Any ideas?

Top Bottom