• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Troll

Banned
I just noticed MS finally added a 'Top Paid' section in the store.

And I just finally noticed who you were since you decided to change avatars. The holidays always do that to me around here, it's like everyone you know gets plastic surgery or something.

Anyways, yeah, it was a long time coming they needed a Top Paid section.

gillty

Banned
Hey guys,

So I got a cheap Windows 8 upgrade code because I bought my laptop within a promo range or whatever.

In order to use the code, I have to use Window's "Upgrade Assistant". I don't want to upgrade yet though... I just want a cheap Win 8 key to keep for when I am ready to upgrade.

My question:
If I redeem the code through the Upgrade Assistant, I assume it is going to want to upgrade my O/S then and there... Will I get an option to skip the upgrade and just save the Win 8 key instead?

This FAQ didn't really answer my question. I only have one promo code so I don't want to screw it up. Thanks :)
Yes, you are not forced to upgrade immediately.

Jzero

And I just finally noticed who you were since you decided to change avatars. The holidays always do that to me around here, it's like everyone you know gets plastic surgery or something.

Anyways, yeah, it was a long time coming they needed a Top Paid section.
Yea that's why i try to remember names instead of avatars now.

AnkitT

After spending an extended amount of time with the metro aspect of Win8, here are some impressions:

1. Apart from tweetro and gleek, there are barely any functional twitter apps. It is baffling that rowi only loads the 100 recent tweets and there seems to be no way to load more. Metrotwit crashes at a drop of a hat, hopefully this will be fixed in the future. The paltry selection is pretty surprising to me, I expected more social apps.

2. There are a plethora of apps for reddit, and most of them are above average. Reddit to go! and ribbit are the best ones aesthetically and functionally but ribbit crashes a lot. /r/etro and reddhub are also fine. Reddimage is worth a special mention. It displays image posts in a highly convenient manner, and it looks beautiful and the app has been very stable for me.

3. Slapdash is more than good enough for my podcast needs. The xbox music app is awesome as well, It has replaced spotify for me. I had zune pass last month so I have experienced xbox music both with subscription and without and it is good enough for my needs in the free state. The design and functionality of the app are quite lacking though, hope they add more features from the zune app such as podcast management, etc.

4. For ebook reader apps, the Nook app is the best looking, but i'm not too interested in the nook marketplace. The kindle app is pretty barebones and "app storage limit exceeded" errors in it. Cant really see myself using my laptop for reading, so probably wouldnt use these apps anyway. Audiobooks8 is pretty awesome though. It has the entire librivox catalogue in a easy to maneuver interface.

5. There aren't many youtube apps either. Primetube is the only good client on the store imo.

Initially I thought I wouldn't be using the metro side of things too often, but I find myself relying on it for many things which are more convenient to do than on the desktop side of things.

MCD

I love Gravity Guy but MS is dumb for no one dollar games pricing.

News360 is my Weave equivalent and I LOVE IT.

Ok is there no way to stop Windows from restarting itself after an update? It's gonna restart in 4 minutes and there's seemingly nothing I can do about it. Infuriating.

I don't see a "Top Paid" section on the store... only "Top Free" and "New Releases".
Hmm? I see one on mine (US store):
YxHBm.png

And there are ones on each category. Although the "Government" section doesn't have a new releases button, lol. Maybe in 2016 :p

Whogie

So I was in the Xbox Music app, and I pressed "Play Album" on my own album. A 15 second video ad popped up with a button on the bottom right that says "Tired of interruptions? Go premium!"

Unbelievable!

Edit: There are cloud icons next to my music. Seems it's cloud matching, so it might be related.
Xbox Music said:

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Weather app no longer grabs mouse wheel for hourly forecast! Kind of jutters, but acceptable.

More requests:
1. Auto-update store apps.
2. Remove frivolous requirement for "Run Admin in Admin Approval Mode" for Metro apps. I really hate prompts for stuff I just told Windows to do, not to be able to copy files from a remote desktop session into certain folders, random shell and other errors due to wonky file ownership, etc etc. Please put a slider for "Mouth Breather Mode" in Metro Settings for this state and default it to off. I haven't had a virus in years, I don't need this.

Hieberrr

I just ordered a Lenovo Z480 and it comes preinstalled with W8. I was wondering if I could do a clean install of W7 and then use the drivers from here (as they the Z480 used to come preinstalled with W7). I can right?

clav

Anyone know if I can reinstall Windows 8 using an OEM key?

I don't like that computers still come with bloatware.

Jzero

Anyone know if I can reinstall Windows 8 using an OEM key?

I don't like that computers still come with bloatware.
Just reset the computer in the 'General' PC settings section. I'm not sure if that will remove the bloatware in OEM computers though. You should try it though.

clav

Use the built in reformat tool.

Doesn't the built-in reformat tool just put it back to how it was originally?

I know for self-installs it actually refreshes, but I think OEMs can mess around with the refresher tool.

Just reset the computer in the 'General' PC settings section. I'm not sure if that will remove the bloatware in OEM computers though. You should try it though.

Yeah, I'll give it a shot when I'm off work and report back. Will be useful to know for everyone.

dLMN8R

Yeah, if you use the included Reset/Refresh, it'll just reset to whatever the OEM default is. It's easy to configure and modify that recovery image.

Which is actually cool, because if you do your own clean install, you can customize your own recovery image too. So just like an OEM can do so, you can create your own so that you can easily reset to it too.

Details here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx

See this section: Refreshing your PC to a state you define, including desktop apps

SteveWD40

Yeah, if you use the included Reset/Refresh, it'll just reset to whatever the OEM default is. It's easy to configure and modify that recovery image.

Which is actually cool, because if you do your own clean install, you can customize your own recovery image too. So just like an OEM can do so, you can create your own so that you can easily reset to it too.

Details here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx

See this section: Refreshing your PC to a state you define, including desktop apps

That is some USEFUL shit. Kudos, a doffed cap and what I believe are called "props" to you Good Sir.

clav

Yeah then I won't even bother with the refresh.

Thanks for the tip.

A very long story made short:

A Windows Update caused my computer to fail to boot to Windows, forcing me to do a "refresh". Thankfully, the files were kept in the Windows.old directory and I was able to copy/paste a few things back over.

A few updates and restarts later, and most of Windows.old has disappeared. The size of the folder is tiny and the only subfolder now is "Users" with the old files there remaining intact. Did Windows just delete all the files I failed to migrate over in time?

It hasn't been a great week with Windows for me...

A very long story made short:

A Windows Update caused my computer to fail to boot to Windows, forcing me to do a "refresh". Thankfully, the files were kept in the Windows.old directory and I was able to copy/paste a few things back over.

A few updates and restarts later, and most of Windows.old has disappeared. The size of the folder is tiny and the only subfolder now is "Users" with the old files there remaining intact. Did Windows just delete all the files I failed to migrate over in time?

It hasn't been a great week with Windows for me...

Could it be you weren't actually copying but moving?

Could it be you weren't actually copying but moving?

I was definitely copying; I was copy/pasting certain files piecemeal into the regular Windows program files folders. But now everything is gone.

The computer and this copy of Windows is a little more than a week old so there weren't all kinds of important files, but I've had to spend the night redownloading and installing various drivers and programs.

I suppose I'll have to accept that the files are inaccessible and hope it doesn't happen again.

Windows Update is as frustrating as it ever was.

clav

wtf

Acer still dumps their Windows 8 computers with McAfee security software, WildTangent games, and other bloatware. They even preinstalled the Windows 7 version of Netflix that requires Silverlight.

No wonder people complain because they really bog down the computer.

I was required to do a full reinstall from CD, which didn't require me to enter the CD Key. Thanks to UEFI requirements, I can just click through boxes to reinstall. Now I can see why people arrive to the illogical conclusion, "Hay guis. I installed with wind0es 7, and it works better than 8!" Wonder why people still haven't thought of clean installing 8 to get rid of the bloatware.

Thanks MS. No thanks to you Acer, once again ruining Microsoft's reputation.

Feel like this recent experience requires the "Stahp" "wat r u doing" meme.

MCD

This is why I want to see Surface Pro succeed and destroy the fuckers.

They have apps but NO! HAVE SOME BLOAT DESKTOP APPS AT YOU!

Top Bottom