• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

kitch9

Banned
Great...

Microsoft is so freaking useless...

How do I 'reinstall' from the stupid metro settings menu when it asks me to put in physical media which I dont have? and I cant download cause I have an 'upgrade' key...?

The upgrade assistant wont even let me do anything because all of a sudden my computer appears to be in a region that wont allow it, despite me changing nothing.

You don't need to re-install just run a refresh.....

Did you delete the ESD file after downloading and installing 8 as you can make an ISO from there.

You should be able to download the ISO directly from the below link, you'll need your original upgrade order number and stuff:

http://www.mswos.com/

derFeef

@Sethos regarding search. I know it's not optimal but you can windowskey-w to search for settings, and windowskey-q to search for files (or vice versa), respectively.

Tokubetsu

Encountering a couple strange little issues since upgrading. I can no longer click links in steam chat. I have to copy and paste into my browser. Also, I can't drag and drop images into PS anymore. Google search is telling me its a registry thing. Help?

DarkFlow

Banned
So I go to activate my Windows Media Center key and it goes through, but when I restart my computer it says I'm not activated? What the hell? Everything was fine prior to adding Media Center. Any ideas on what to do? When I click the "Activate Windows" button it doesn't work.

Edit: This is what I get. Sorry about image size, it's late and I really need to get some sleep.
Same thing happend to me, just input the key they gave you for wmc where it says use another key or whatever. Then you'll be back to being activated. Kinda wonky but it works.

kitch9

Banned
@Sethos regarding search. I know it's not optimal but you can windowskey-w to search for settings, and windowskey-q to search for files (or vice versa), respectively.

If your important files are kept in libraries, then File Explorer search in the taskbar is swift also.

Nero3000

If you have an older version of office just stick to it. Nothing microsoft did really made office that finger friendly at all. I mean its basically just more ribbons.

The only tablet friendly office product is one note on the app store, and its free.

Hell, on windows rt office still goes to 'desktop' mode.

There are other reasons to get the new Office - the new functionality in Excel is a massive one for me.

I don't seem to be able to get this working properly. I can select the group, I can take another group and move it on top which just means it moves next to said group with the usual space between the separation.

When you zoom out and start dragging a tile, a faint dividing line should be visible, just drop your tile on the side you want. I created a row of three tiles for the main apps like this.

Great...

Microsoft is so freaking useless...

How do I 'reinstall' from the stupid metro settings menu when it asks me to put in physical media which I dont have? and I cant download cause I have an 'upgrade' key...?

The upgrade assistant wont even let me do anything because all of a sudden my computer appears to be in a region that wont allow it, despite me changing nothing.

what are you trying to reinstall?

chromeuc.png

Two tabs.

I love me some Chrome, but this shit has to change. Come the fuck on.

Have you checked disk read/write I/O? if you are on SSD don't install chrome on it, it was like 100x of Firefox when I was testing a few weeks ago, pretty bad for SSD users imo.

read/write is extremely low. It's not lagging at all. It's just taking up stupid amounts of memory.

If anyone was interested, the 1.1 GB tab was Neogaf, and the 700MB tab was Pintrest.

I need to change some BIOS settings to run the WP SDK emulator, but I can't access my BIOS.

I've tried the PC settings -> advanced startup and it's not there.

I've also restarted and tried F2, F11, F10, and delete and nothing comes up.

Halp?

Kingbrave

I need to change some BIOS settings to run the WP SDK emulator, but I can't access my BIOS.

Halp?

Mine is F12, have you tried that?

MCD

Halp?

Well, I don't know if this might be related but some PCs like Alienware X51 won't show up the BIOS if you are connecting it to HDMI till you toggle an option via the bios.

So, are you using HDMI? Can you try VGA/DVI/Displayport?

MrBig

Yep, tried that. Nothing.

Entering the bios is independant of the OS, you need to press a key (Del for asus boards, most other boards use a F# key) at the POST screen where it show your devices or mobo logo before windows starts to load. If the POST screen passes and hitting the bios button doesn't do anything the keyboard may be taking too long to initialize in which case you'll need to use another one.

Well, I don't know if this might be related but some PCs like Alienware X51 won't show up the BIOS if you are connecting it to HDMI till you toggle an option via the bios.

So, are you using HDMI? Can you try VGA/DVI/Displayport?
Entering the bios is independant of the OS, you need to press a key (Del for asus boards, most other boards use a F# key) at the POST screen where it show your devices or mobo logo before windows starts to load. If the POST screen passes and hitting the bios button doesn't do anything the keyboard may be taking too long to initialize in which case you'll need to use another one.

Notebook, so I can't imagine that being a problem.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I believe you can just go to metro setting-general-advanced startup and you can get to the bios from there. That may be just with new UEFI PCs though.

You could also try Shutdown.exe /r /o in cmd prompt.

Try to hit PAUSE key instead of F and Del. Might stop your PC from booting fast.
I'll try that right now.
I believe you can just go to metro setting-general-advanced startup and you can get to the bios from there. That may be just with new UEFI PCs though.

You could also try Shutdown.exe /r /o in cmd prompt.

Yeah that's just for new UEFI PCs, doesn't work with older ones. That shutdown command launches that menu through the advanced setup, which of course doesn't help me.

EDIT: Well I figured it out, but my BIOS doesn't appear to have the options that I need to change. I give up lol.

Windows RT IE10 shouldn't have any problems with HTML5 video, right? Our work's videos are hosted on Viddler and someone reported that the videos won't play on Metro IE10.

Sorry if it has been answered before: My father has one of those hp touchsmart all in one pcs, and when he tries to install windows 8 it gets a blank screen. In place upgrade, and I even tried upgrading the drivers to see if the issue was solved. I googled for this problem and a few people who had this same issue said that with you plug an external monitor you would be able to go through install, and once windows 8 was installed i would be able to update the drivers and then it would work... I tried that too, but i think the dvi out is borked, i tried dozens of different monitors (even using dvi to vga adapters) and even on windows 7 the pc doesn't even recognize there's a cable plugged in...

Since supposedly updating the drivers work i think that if i embed them into the W8 installer they should work too, so the question is: How can i embed them? I used nlite during XP era, but apparently it does not work with W8...

SPDIF

Sorry if it has been answered before: My father has one of those hp touchsmart all in one pcs, and when he tries to install windows 8 it gets a blank screen. In place upgrade, and I even tried upgrading the drivers to see if the issue was solved. I googled for this problem and a few people who had this same issue said that with you plug an external monitor you would be able to go through install, and once windows 8 was installed i would be able to update the drivers and then it would work... I tried that too, but i think the dvi out is borked, i tried dozens of different monitors (even using dvi to vga adapters) and even on windows 7 the pc doesn't even recognize there's a cable plugged in...

Since supposedly updating the drivers work i think that if i embed them into the W8 installer they should work too, so the question is: How can i embed them? I used nlite during XP era, but apparently it does not work with W8...

How about this?

Veal

I read somewhere on GAF that Microsoft is doing a promotion with Media Center. Like giving it away for free. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

If you have an older version of office just stick to it. Nothing microsoft did really made office that finger friendly at all. I mean its basically just more ribbons.

The only tablet friendly office product is one note on the app store, and its free.

Hell, on windows rt office still goes to 'desktop' mode.

But skydrive syncing for the entire office is so awesome.

Mr Swine

Banned
Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I just bought win 8 pro upgrade for my PC (windows 7). Bought win 8 for my laptop when it first came out. But if I want to do a fresh install of windows 8 pro, do I need to install win 7 every time?

MrBig

Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I just bought win 8 pro upgrade for my PC (windows 7). Bought win 8 for my laptop when it first came out. But if I want to do a fresh install of windows 8 pro, do I need to install win 7 every time?

Fresh install options are built right into the OS now. charms > settings > change pc settings > general, then just choose the refresh or reinstall options.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I got an email from MS to get Windows 8 for $40 upgrade. Is it worth it? I mainly use OSX but like to use Windows for gaming apart from that I dont use it much.

Outsanity

Ok, so my Windows 8 install is continuing to throw up problems. I've sorted all the driver issues now but earlier today Windows suddenly decided that it was no longer activated and trying to hit activate throws up "error 0xc0000022 Access Denied. A process has requested access to an object, but has not been granted those access rights" whenever I try, same story for activate by phone.

I've pinpointed this to the fact that the Software Protection service isn't running and when I try to start it from services.msc I get the same error message as above.

I've noticed there's no SoftwareProtectionPlatform folder in C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft could that be the problem?

Things I've tried:
- Taking ownership of sppvc.exe to no avail
- Granting full control to all sppvc files in the Registry
- System Restore
- SFC/scannow, no results
- It's not a virus

Been Googling around and I can't seem to find a fix at all, anybody got any ideas? Really want to avoid having to do another Refresh of W8, it's doing my head in to be honest. It's really frustrating in that it breaks Windows Update, I could live without not being able to personalise my lock screen.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
I got an email from MS to get Windows 8 for $40 upgrade. Is it worth it? I mainly use OSX but like to use Windows for gaming apart from that I dont use it much.

Go to a store and use it. If you only use it for games then stick to win7. Most will eventually upgrade so it might be good to get in on that deal before the price goes back up.

Top Bottom