• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

check their website for an uninstall tool.

I don't see such a tool on Asus' website. I see this in my notifications controls but when I search for this in the Start menu it doesn't find anything.

pjYBU86.png

*edit. I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 and then upgrade to 8 on top of that. Words of wisdom: NEVER install the Asus AI Suite. Terrible terrible buggy crippling software it is. I believe it was causing my USB BSOD problems a while back as well.

Koroviev

Wasn't he talking about right-clicking the corner for an advanced menu?

Personally for just opening the Start Menu I use whichever method is more convenient at the moment.

The shortcut for that is Win key + x.

And I can't think of a time when it's more convenient to move my cursor to the corner of the screen and click than it is to simply hit a button regardless of where my cursor is. Don't mind me, I'm probably weird (._. )

t-ramp

The shortcut for that is Win key + x.

And I can't think of a time when it's more convenient to move my cursor to the corner of the screen and click than it is to simply hit a button regardless of where my cursor is. Don't mind me, I'm probably weird (._. )
Ah, I see. Actually, both yesterday and now I was resting my chin in my left hand while reading this thread so I'd have just used the mouse, but I can see why it would usually be easier to just use the keyboard.

Guri

Guys, what do you think of the new Optimizer, which replaces the Defrag? I've searched and it uses TRIM for SSDs, so I should leave it on, right?

Also, should I still use Revo Uninstaller?

Ah, I see. Actually, both yesterday and now I was resting my chin in my left hand while reading this thread so I'd have just used the mouse, but I can see why it would usually be easier to just use the keyboard.

Another reason is if your mouse is already in that general area. In which case it would be faster to slide it a few pixels to the left

Koroviev

Dual-handed computing for life

Has anyone actually managed to get a key for media center from that 'add features' site?

Whenever I've tried over the past week it just tells me 'We couldn't process your order.'

Can you somehow stop windows frm adding shortcuts to the NUI after installation of software?

I've had success with selecting the option to not create start menu icons during installation. Its funny really because they have the whole "All Apps" screen where you would expect to see everything installed so you can selectively add them from there but as a designer, I can see why they push the icons to the start screen. I think having an option to disable the feature would have been ideal even if it had to be buried in the advanced features menu.

Yesterday I spent £75 upgrading my desktop, laptop and my GF's netbook to Win 8.

I did in-place installs, and now I'm thinking I should really have started from fresh as I've realised I have tons of crap that need removing, and I've probably changed a ton of settings over the years. Would be nice to start from a clean slate.

I read through this link from a few pages back, but would like one bit of clarification (for peace-of-mind purposes)

Does the "Reset PC" option perform the same function as a manual reformat and reinstall?

Do I have to have my product key handy, or does it apply it automagically, like when I performed the upgrade?

I can easily back up the few videos and pictures I have, and my music is on Google Play and my docs are in Skydrive so they're not a problem. Software is also not a problem.

What do I do about any apps I downloaded (I nabbed Pinball FX2 and The Gunstringer, plus I have the Media Centre add-on)? Are they logged onto my WLID, like my Xbox purchases are? I imagine I'd have to input the product key for Media Centre again.

I know it seems totally pathetic to ask, but I don't really want the usual aggro that getting the PC to a blank-slate state usually involves, and could really use the assurance that only comes from others experience.

People that add tiles to your Start for games that are normally launched from Steam...is your tile just linking to the Application where it resides in the Steam common folder and does that mean Steam keeps the game's statistics (play time, updates, etc.) going? Say you create a tile for Portal 2 which is actually housed in Steam, does it launch Steam and then automatically launch Portal 2?

derFeef

People that add tiles to your Start for games that are normally launched from Steam...is your tile just linking to the Application where it resides in the Steam common folder and does that mean Steam keeps the game's statistics (play time, updates, etc.) going? Say you create a tile for Portal 2 which is actually housed in Steam, does it launch Steam and then automatically launch Portal 2?

Yes it does always launch steam (there are a few indy exceptions), also just use the shortcut like steam://rungameid/108710 - works fine.

BlazinAm

Is there a cheap way to upgrade win 8 to pro?
Edit:
That is so stupid if you want to upgrade from win8 to pro it will cost 69.99 but to go from a prior windows to window 8 pro it is $39.99 for the download like really. No give on the pricing at all.
Edit2:
I think it is really cool to access windows features with win + x, but the logic of how windows app in the start menu ui is off. Also I am still wrapping my head around customizing that UI. I don't hate it honestly I barely used the start menu in windows 7, I found it easier just to have the program files folder open as a list and go through there and to have many applications docked in the taskbar.

Are wallpapers still relevant in 8? All I ever see in images is the start page.

Yes, there's still a fully functional desktop. In fact, if you have a multi-monitor setup then you will have to see the desktop and wallpaper management on Windows 8 a multi-monitor setup is divine :) You could even put wallpapers on your start screen but I'd advise against just slapping any old image on there.

Yes, there's still a fully functional desktop. In fact, if you have a multi-monitor setup then you will have to see the desktop and wallpaper management on Windows 8 a multi-monitor setup is divine :) You could even put wallpapers on your start screen but I'd advise against just slapping any old image on there.

Can you put the start screen on one screen and a wallpaper on the other?

This sexy beast is making it to my front door tomorrow or wednesday... Fuck yea. Dell 2340T 10 Point Touchscreen Monitor!

*Looks at price on dell/MS site* Holy hell, there is no way that thing costs $600. Its literally just an HD screen with a touch sensor built in. Seriously, that costs more than a computer, a phone or a tablet. Insane.

It does look nice though. Let us know how it works.

maeh2k

Was there a thread for the official launch of Office 2013 / 365?

I just bought Office 365 University. Four years of Office on two devices for 80 Euros. I've always used OpenOffice or Latex on my own devices, but 80 Euros is a pretty great price.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm having issues. I've just upgraded my gaming PC to Win8 Pro and I mostly game on a projector that is 1280 x720 native.
Any app I click on like Netflix complains that it can't open up in that resolution. Is there a way around this.

Was there a thread for the official launch of Office 2013 / 365?

I just bought Office 365 University. Four years of Office on two devices for 80 Euros. I've always used OpenOffice or Latex on my own devices, but 80 Euros is a pretty great price.

Yeah I was going to use a connection to get a copy on the cheap from MS, but the 365 University deal is pretty damn sweet, so I might just do that.

Pooya

I'm having issues. I've just upgraded my gaming PC to Win8 Pro and I mostly game on a projector that is 1280 x720 native.
Any app I click on like Netflix complains that it can't open up in that resolution. Is there a way around this.

Do you have a nvidia card? (not sure how it is in AMD)

open nvidia control panel

First

'Adjust desktop size and position' -> make sure 'Perform Scaling on' is set to GPU, and scaling mode is Aspect Ratio.

Then

-> change resolution -> customize -> create custom resolution -> enter 1366 for hori. res and 768 for vertical, click Test. then OK/confirm everything. now select the resolution you just made.

Done.

now you render windows in 1366x768 and those app limit won't be a problem, the screen is down sized to 720p by your GPU, your games get super sampling a bit.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Do you have a nvidia card? (not sure how it is in AMD)

open nvidia control panel

First

'Adjust desktop size and position' -> make sure 'Perform Scaling on' is set to GPU, and scaling mode is Aspect Ratio.

Then

-> change resolution -> customize -> create custom resolution -> enter 1366 for hori. res and 768 for vertical, click Test. then OK/confirm everything. now select the resolution you just made.

Done.

now you render windows in 1366x768 and those app limit won't be a problem, the screen is down sized to 720p by your GPU, your games get super sampling a bit.

Thanks.

Yes I have a nVidia card. So it's a built in hardware limitation on W8 that the screen has to be at least 1366 x 768. A bit of a shame really.

Zips

Anyone else finding that the Office programs on RT (or at least Word) crash often when flipping between programs/using split-screen to quickly change?

I tried reading a pdf and split-screening with Word to take some notes on it, and Word crashed/froze about 4 times within like 30 minutes to an hour.

(using Asus Vivo Tab)

maeh2k

Just got the Office 365 University deal. You get Office 2011 Mac with it too which is pretty sweet.

It is. However at this point the Mac client refuses to activate for me. Doesn't accept my Microsoft account and password. Maybe it takes some time after the purchase for the client to know I have subscribed?

Now I'll try my Win 7 machine.

Edit: took a while but now it works on both Mac and PC.

Xyphie

Office 2013 is great, been using the Preview for some time now. Not really digging the price hike and change on the licensing (the non-transferable part, that's probably pretty easily fixed by phone activating but still) on the perpetual SKUs though.

While I recognize that 365 Home Premium is great value, it's a bit expensive for what I use (Word and OneNote basically). Hopefully the "Home Premium" part means there'll be a "Home Basic" down the line more comparable to Home & Student in terms of pricing over product life and feature set (No Access, Publisher, Skydrive etc).

methodman

Banned
Just installed Windows 8 on my laptop. I can't connect to my wifi cause it's setup as a wep shared, and there is no option for shared wep in w8. whats another application I can use to connect to my wifi? This is so annoying lol.

Ps I gotta use wep shared, even though I know it sucks. My mom works from home and her company setup our network like this.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
WEP with a Shared Key? lol yikes.

your best bet is probably to install the software for your wifi card.

Just installed Windows 8 on my laptop. I can't connect to my wifi cause it's setup as a wep shared, and there is no option for shared wep in w8. whats another application I can use to connect to my wifi? This is so annoying lol.

Ps I gotta use wep shared, even though I know it sucks. My mom works from home and her company setup our network like this.

Try this: http://superuser.com/questions/523959/windows-8-wep-with-shared-key

This sexy beast is making it to my front door tomorrow or wednesday... Fuck yea. Dell 2340T 10 Point Touchscreen Monitor!

Impressions are a must! That looks awesome.

Office 2013 is great, been using the Preview for some time now. Not really digging the price hike and change on the licensing (the non-transferable part, that's probably pretty easily fixed by phone activating but still) on the perpetual SKUs though.

While I recognize that 365 Home Premium is great value, it's a bit expensive for what I use (Word and OneNote basically). Hopefully the "Home Premium" part means there'll be a "Home Basic" down the line more comparable to Home & Student in terms of pricing over product life and feature set (No Access, Publisher, Skydrive etc).

I doubt it. They do have a University student SKU. $80 for 4 years (!). It's the same products as Home Premium too. It is possible that they could release a lower tier SKU in the future for everyone, but not for a while I'd imagine.

MrBig

Yeah I was going to use a connection to get a copy on the cheap from MS, but the 365 University deal is pretty damn sweet, so I might just do that.

For college purposes, I'd think google docs would be the best solution. I started using it recently and have not been able to find a downside to it. Free, has been compatible with everything I've needed to open or produce, and of course you get online access to documents from anywhere as well as being able to save them locally in office formats or have automatic local syncing and real time collaborative editing. Seems to be the best option for students imo

Jzero

I wonder when the trial for Office 2013 preview is going to expire. Google docs are pretty good but i really like the customization of Office, specially PowerPoint.

For college purposes, I'd think google docs would be the best solution. I started using it recently and have not been able to find a downside to it. Free, has been compatible with everything I've needed to open or produce, and of course you get online access to documents from anywhere as well as being able to save them locally in office formats or have automatic local syncing and real time collaborative editing. Seems to be the best option for students imo

Yeah, I do all of those things with Office though, and I believe then to be superior applications. All my documents are saved to SkyDrive, so I can always access them from any other machine, including Office on my phone (WP), and have folders set up for groups with the correct permissions, allowing us to collaborate on documents. I also use Outlook, OneNote, and Visio for school and personal use on a regular basis, and there are no Google versions of those.

I ended up purchasing the 365 University package, it's a great deal and will make it easy to have Office on two devices when I get a tablet later this year (possibly Surface Pro).

Top Bottom