• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

stktt

Banned
Anyone have a recommendation for a magazine style newsreader in the Store? I see Discourse is featured.

Discourse is fantastic, especially after the last update. Well worth the money.

My favorite feature is being able to save articles right from the share charm.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i'm not sure if its magazine enough for you but Nextgen Reader is a good RSS Reader. Has Readablity Support.

Koroviev

i'm not sure if its magazine enough for you but Nextgen Reader is a good RSS Reader. Has Readablity Support.

I used to be a big fan of readability, but now I prefer Pocket...not quite the same thing, but it is comparable to the "send to Kindle" feature of Readability, except Pocket syncs up with my phone instead of the Kindle app. Formats articles very nicely.

Pooya

How do these limited offers work btw? if you get it when it's free, will it be free forever for you or reverts back to trial?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
How do these limited offers work btw? if you get it when it's free, will it be free forever for you or reverts back to trial?

You own it. I have stuff that was free during beta that costs money now and I still have it.

just installed windows 8 and have a quick question. In the new explorer is there an option to set all folders like current view?

edit: nevermind, just found it like 10 seconds after posting this

Chili

Been using it for a few days. I'm still in mixed minds about the Start Screen, although I love everything else about it. I've dabbled with some start menu replacements, but I'd like to give the start screen a fair go before I go down that route. Aside from that, the OS is extremely refined. Windows 7 was already very polished, Windows 8 seems to be even more so.

Has anyone tried to get the ultra fast boot working? ASUS are refusing to update the BIOS for UEFI for their 600-series cards even though they are technically compatible, which is the final piece of the puzzle I need to have super-fast boot times. Ugh, why did I have to be cheap and go with ASUS over EVGA.

maeh2k

Do people actually use that?

It's almost as useless as Alt-Tab. That way to switch tasks doesn't work for me at all. That's one thing OSX does better than Windows, IMO.

I'm on OSX 10.6 and spaces (virtual desktops) in combination with expose to switch between windows (both activated by moving the mouse to a corner) are amazing.
Hope I'll be able to readjust when I buy a Win 8 notebook and use Win 8 full-time :)

It's almost as useless as Alt-Tab. That way to switch tasks doesn't work for me at all. That's one thing OSX does better than Windows, IMO.

I'm on OSX 10.6 and spaces (virtual desktops) in combination with expose to switch between windows (both activated by moving the mouse to a corner) are amazing.
Hope I'll be able to readjust when I buy a Win 8 notebook and use Win 8 full-time :)

Alt+Tab is useful since Vista, because now you can select the programs with you mouse. 7 made it even better with Aero Peek. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't use it at all.

Koroviev

Do people actually use that?

Yes, I actually used that...the Peek feature somewhat alleviates the issue of very small preview windows, but it takes too long to activate. With Flip 3D, everything was immediately easy to recognize, not to mention that it looked cool.

However, as much as I like it, I wouldn't trade the task-killing prowess of Windows 8 for it. It's so nice not seeing that damned "program not responding" dialog box.

maeh2k

Alt+Tab is useful since Vista, because now you can select the programs with you mouse. 7 made it even better with Aero Peek. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't use it at all.

I don't think it's enough for me. On OSX I have different contexts neatly organized in virtual desktops and within these expose gives me a large preview of all windows that I can directly select. Alt-tab has never really been good enough for me.
On Windows I focus a lot more on the task bar to switch apps (whereas I rarely ever use the OSX dock to switch windows). The Windows task bar is way better than the dock.
I think I'll probably be able to readjust, but I'll miss spaces and expose. Having tons of apps and documents open will seem quite a bit more cluttered.
(maybe I should use virtual machines as virtual desktops ^^)

Are there any truly great (i.e. as good as if it has been part of the OS all along) tools that bring virtual desktops to Windows?

xJavonta

Banned
I read somewhere on GAF that Microsoft is doing a promotion with Media Center. Like giving it away for free. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

It fucked up my activation somehow. My copy that I paid for suddenly isn't activated and I don't know how to reactivate it.

Thankfully, I'm part of DreamSpark at my college and I have another copy of Windows 8 I can install on my PC.

Windu

It fucked up my activation somehow. My copy that I paid for suddenly isn't activated and I don't know how to reactivate it.

Thankfully, I'm part of DreamSpark at my college and I have another copy of Windows 8 I can install on my PC.
You need to reactivate it with the new code they gave you.

Raptomex

Ok. So after running in safe mode to test something it seems a lot of my folders including desktop are set to read-only. I can't download anything to my desktop without it telling me I can't make changes to the folder. I attempt to uncheck the read-only options on my folders and it tells me I need admin privileges. I am the admin and it still won't let me. Things will install but I can't delete some folders and it's getting frustrating.

So I went ahead and installed windows 8 via bootcamp on my mac mini. I wanna get into PC Sims so that's my main reason for doing it. Setting up Bootcamp was a bitch. It kept saying "No Bootable Device" after the partition and restart and it was driving me crazy. I tried like 4 different thumb drives. But the problem was my external that I had plugged in for my Time Machine backups. I unplugged that then restarted again and everything was fine.

I'm loving Windows 8 so far. I'm really liking the Metro aspect and having some things just huge and simple and maximized screen real estate. It's strange getting used to no start menu but I'm making due. It took me way too long to figure out how to get to the Control Panel

After 8 years of using OSX I'm now back to Windows.

I like it so far, but I feel like I'm so slow at everything.

Is there something like Spotlight, where I can press a keyborad shortcut to open a Search window and start Apps or open Documents this way?

If I klick on the Games tab in Metro and then go back to the Metro overview, is the Games App still running in the background or is closed automatically?

dLMN8R

After 8 years of using OSX I'm now back to Windows.

I like it so far, but I feel like I'm so slow at everything.

Is there something like Spotlight, where I can press a keyborad shortcut to open a Search window and start Apps or open Documents this way?

If I klick on the Games tab in Metro and then go back to the Metro overview, is the Games App still running in the background or is closed automatically?

Just start typing on the Start Screen. It searches apps by default, and then you can click to search Settings, Files, or any app you have installed too.

Apps automatically suspend in the background. Unless it's playing music or something, it's effectively not using any resources once you go back to the Start Screen. Think iOS in case you have an iOS device.

Just start typing on the Start Screen. It searches apps by default, and then you can click to search Settings, Files, or any app you have installed too.

Apps automatically suspend in the background. Unless it's playing music or something, it's effectively not using any resources once you go back to the Start Screen. Think iOS in case you have an iOS device.

Oh cool, didn't think of that. It's pretty clever.

Good to know that I don't have to quit apps manually.

Man feels good after so many years on OSX. I will still be using my Macbook Air, but this gives me some much needed fresh air.

Jzero

Oh cool, didn't think of that. It's pretty clever.

Good to know that I don't have to quit apps manually.

Man feels good after so many years on OSX. I will still be using my Macbook Air, but this gives me some much needed fresh air.
That's interesting because you rarely hear a long time mac user say they prefer Windows.

Lkr

i just upgraded my laptop. i am getting used to it and there are a few things i like(for example when i tried to install a program that needed an older version of .net framework, windows noticed it and gave me the option for it to download/install it on its own. nice).

A few questions:
Is there a way to access a "My Computer" esque screen?
it seems like my laptop runs 5 degrees hotter in win8 compared to win7. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Koroviev

i just upgraded my laptop. i am getting used to it and there are a few things i like(for example when i tried to install a program that needed an older version of .net framework, windows noticed it and gave me the option for it to download/install it on its own. nice).

A few questions:
it seems like my laptop runs 5 degrees hotter in win8 compared to win7. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Win key + e

Windu

A few questions:
three tips on finding more "advanced" stuff

Search is your friend
Right click bottom left
File explorer

Koroviev

three tips on finding more "advanced" stuff

Search is your friend
Right click bottom left
File explorer

I pretty much never do that...just seems much simpler to hit the Win key. I'm not keen on having to hover over something and waiting for it to activate, even if it's only a second.

Windu

I pretty much never do that...just seems much simpler to hit the Win key. I'm not keen on having to hover over something and waiting for it to activate, even if it's only a second.
Right click = advanced menu.
Left click = start button

celebi23

So, I forgot that I still have an extra Windows Media Center Pack key. Just quote this post to see it:

33344_WinMC_Logo_Windows.png

This is a reminder that you must activate your free Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key** by January 31, 2013:

(Note: The key is located right here. Just quote the post to see it)

Follow these steps to add Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your PC running Windows 8 Pro:
Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search).
Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.
Then tap or click I already have a product key.
Enter the product key, and then click Next.
Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

Your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.

I figured I'd share it with someone in this topic. Enjoy!

DarkFlow

Banned

You know I told you how to fix this awhile ago right?

you need to go into Control Panel\System and Security\System then go down to the bottom where it says Windows Activation and click the link.

Then it well have a option to put in another key, use the WMC key they sent you, and BOOM your now activated again.

Veal

So after getting used to W8, I honestly can't understand the amount of hate the OS is getting! It took me a day of just messing around with things and now I don't even use my desktop anymore! The only thing that doesn't work for me is Minecraft, and that's because of some message Notch is trying to send.

About the only things I would add would be a method of scrolling the screen by holding down the left mouse button and separating the sound control of the Xbox music app and other programs. Other than that, this is an amazing OS. Really pleased.

kitch9

Banned

A few questions:

File explorer is pinned to your taskbar by default.

jokkir

I got a Windows 8 Enterprise key from my school but for some reason, they don't have a place to download Windows 8. Is there any way to download Windows 8 Enterprise? (legally of course)

EDIT - Found it but I can't activate the key for some reason. "This product key can't be installed on a retail version of Windows 8" or something like that :\

So I think I'm going to sell my 6 month Windows 7 laptop that I upgraded to windows 8 in favor of getting a new touchscreen convertible..Of course the reason I'm doing so isn't because of the touchscreen, but rather now that I'm in second semester I am finding that my current laptop doesn't want to compile my graphics code because its a Pentium; so I figure I might as well add touch-compatible to my list of requirements. I'm thinking of getting the ThinkPad Twist because I really like how I can just rotate it to a tablet mode to use with OneNote for taking lecture notes (I'll order a capacitive stylus if I get it).

Anyhow though, before I jump and grab it I have a few questions.

About the laptop:
Does anyone have the ThinkPad Twist? If so how is the experience with it?
Would I be able to do some basic gaming with it (Starcraft 2, Sins of a Solar Empire and Minecraft)?

About Windows 8 Touch:
Does anyone know if Photoshop/Paint.Net would work with a capacitive stylus or the touchscreen in general? I ask because I tend to draw every now and then in my spare time, but since I absolutely hate Paper, if I could do it directly on the laptop I would be able to do it alot more while having more fun with it.

OneNote should work with the Touch/Capacitive Stylus for notes... right?

If anyone is able to help, I thank you in advance :)

maeh2k

So I think I'm going to sell my 6 month Windows 7 laptop that I upgraded to windows 8 in favor of getting a new touchscreen convertible..Of course the reason I'm doing so isn't because of the touchscreen, but rather now that I'm in second semester I am finding that my current laptop doesn't want to compile my graphics code because its a Pentium; so I figure I might as well add touch-compatible to my list of requirements. I'm thinking of getting the ThinkPad Twist because I really like how I can just rotate it to a tablet mode to use with OneNote for taking lecture notes (I'll order a capacitive stylus if I get it).

Anyhow though, before I jump and grab it I have a few questions.

About the laptop:
Does anyone have the ThinkPad Twist? If so how is the experience with it?
Would I be able to do some basic gaming with it (Starcraft 2, Sins of a Solar Empire and Minecraft)?

About Windows 8 Touch:
Does anyone know if Photoshop/Paint.Net would work with a capacitive stylus or the touchscreen in general? I ask because I tend to draw every now and then in my spare time, but since I absolutely hate Paper, if I could do it directly on the laptop I would be able to do it alot more while having more fun with it.

OneNote should work with the Touch/Capacitive Stylus for notes... right?

If anyone is able to help, I thank you in advance :)

For students I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Twist. Battery life is insufficient unless you can plug it in at any time. Not perfect for taking notes in tablet mode either since it doesn't support pen.

If possible you should increase your budget a bit. Maybe there are some decent offers for students for a Thinkpad X230 (good battery life, screen, pen). Some of the other core i5 hybrid/convertible Windows 8 pcs might also be nice, but they don't come cheap either. Surface pro could be an option. Or the Ideapad Yoga.

For students I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Twist. Battery life is insufficient unless you can plug it in at any time. Not perfect for taking notes in tablet mode either since it doesn't support pen.

If possible you should increase your budget a bit. Maybe there are some decent offers for students for a Thinkpad X230 (good battery life, screen, pen). Some of the other core i5 hybrid/convertible Windows 8 pcs might also be nice, but they don't come cheap either. Surface pro could be an option. Or the Ideapad Yoga.

Well, I usually sit right next to an outlet not to mention there is always plenty of opened slots in the computer labs where most of my classes are. My current laptop gets about 3-4 hours and I have only really completely run out of battery life three times since September... but those were also rooms in the school with close to zero plugs. Basically, Battery life doesn't matter much for me.

As for budget, I have about $3800 of OSAP for living expenses and school gear left over to last me until the end of classes in April. I'm planning on putting up fliers around the school selling my Laptop for $250-$300. I also have a $200 Visa Gift Card that I have to use the Paypal trick on to get put into my bank account. My absolute maximum budget is $1200, but I would much rather pay less than that if I had the option.

I was initially thinking about getting the surface pro because of the pen support, but I need to be able to use it in a variety of situations where the kickstand wouldn't necessarily work. Since I'm in computer science, the Type-Keyboard would have also been required. I also really do like the Ideapad Yoga 13" as it would fit all of my usage scenarios and looks nice. I just need to figure out where I can purchase it in Canada (worst case scenario I go online and hope I don't get charged duty like what happened last time I bought a tech thing online). The only thing though is its marked up to 1149 here in Canada, so Taxes definitely will push me over $1200

Anyhow, seeing as neither the Twist or Yoga support Digitizer stylus, I have to go and hope that someone releases a driver for one of the Bluetooth Capacitive ones for the Ipad. Until then I just have to hope that I can get by with handwriting recognition in OneNote.

*Gah: Why can't any of the OEM's make this easy*

MCD

Anyone know how to make IE metro retain the zoom level?

Like, if I zoom in on page and go to the next, it will just reset it.

I'm trying to upgrade to W8 and it tells me I need to manually uninstall ASUS AI Charger Plus. It's not in my programs list or anything and I used CCleaner to remove a Startup item for it. I have no idea how to get rid of it wherever it is.

I even tried reinstalling the AI Suite so I could then uninstall the Charger from that, but the install of the AI Suite doesn't work. It starts to up the install wizard for a brief second and then just closes. I'm starting to feel like I'm going to have to reinstall 7. This is a total pain in the ass. I've spent probably 5 hours trying to upgrade now.

Top Bottom