• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

kitch9

Banned
Never done the upgrade thing before, if I download the upgrade from MS, can I do a clean install without an os already installed if I need to reinstall windows?

So im pretty intruiged in buying W8, but are the general things supported already ? typical drivers (nvidia) and steam etc? or does a lot still dont work?

i dont how viable it is to upgrade already.

I think Steam definitely works

NVIdia has drivers for win8, at least for my NVIDIA GT 640M LE

Never done the upgrade thing before, if I download the upgrade from MS, can I do a clean install without an os already installed if I need to reinstall windows?

You could with Windows 7. I assume you can now, but I'd check elsewhere to be sure.

Of course, you can always upgrade.

iavi

So im pretty intruiged in buying W8, but are the general things supported already ? typical drivers (nvidia) and steam etc? or does a lot still dont work?

i dont how viable it is to upgrade already.

All seems good to go as far as app and driver compatibility go. I've been using 8 since the initial dev preview and when there were no 8 drivers available 7's worked just fine.

Most have released their 8 drivers since then.

Jzero

Jetpack Joyride is out, and it is free...playing with a huge screen is awesome

No one on high score list is kind of sad:
http://t.co/zmq9z9vA

I have a full XBL friends list...hopefully I will see at least one or two names pop up next week :p
Thanks for the heads up, i love that game on iOS.
There's also a Fruit Ninja Update.

Yeah, I read that...but:

None of these options match up to Windows 8 Pro (Full Version) I listed. It says it was originally $199.99 (which isn't listed in the OP), but is down to $69.99 (which matches the Win 8 Pro Pack, but that's an upgrade). Is this the same as the Windows 8 Pro System Builder, just a lot cheaper?
Hmm i have i feeling they labeled it wrong. The Windows 8 Pro upgrade is the only one that's going to be $200 after the promotion. The product details on the page you posted say it's the full version though so i don't know.

venne

Anandtech is dropping their Windows RT review some time tonight.

Here's a quick blurb about RT from Vivek's VivoTab review:

Vivek Gowri said:
I’m coming away from this review feeling very positive about Windows RT, much more so than I expected. After a few days with it, I’m officially done with my iPad. Like, that’s it, we had a good run, it’s over. (In related news, if anyone wants a pristine condition 3rd generation iPad, my email address is linked to the byline. I’m only halfway joking.) Windows RT hits the convergence for me better than any previous tablet and integrates into my workflow almost seamlessly, making it the first tablet platform that seriously has a shot at replacing my notebook.

f0lken

Finally Xbox Music in Mexico!!! It automatically becomes the best option here since we don't have spotify, Last.fm or others, trying now I am so excited about this, could someone give me a quick guide tour???

Do updates not have notes?

Not obligatory, but they do, and it's a little clunky to see them.

On the update screen, you need to have only a single app selected, and a Details button appears. Click on it, and it will take you to the app listing page, on the Details Tab. The release notes are the first item under this tab.

After hitting the update button, you would have to search for the app page by yourself to see this info.

Jzero

seems like some devs put notes on there and some don't. When updating it should have a option for "details" (only see it when you select one app at a time).

Do updates not have notes?
ibfYiV7VYt0rkY.png

Exuro

seems like some devs put notes on there and some don't. When updating it should have a option for "details" (only see it when you select one app at a time).

Not obligatory, but they do, and it's a little clunky to see them.

On the update screen, you need to have only a single app selected, and a Details button appears. Click on it, and it will take you to the app listing page, on the Details Tab. The release notes are the first item under this tab.

After hitting the update button, you would have to search for the app page by yourself to see this info.
Ah I see. I had like 5 updates and netflix was one of them. I figured just clicking on the app would list them.

jagowar

I do wish there was an actual version by version release notes section.... would be nice to know what was added/fixed in each version of the apps. Some are doing it in the notes section but it would be nice if it was standardized.

jagowar

I need xbox live friends guys, my list is completely lonely. add me :)

You getting surface or a win8 tablet? I know only a few of my friends are getting them so it would be nice to add a few myself who are planning on getting the tablet and playing some of those games.

I do wish there was an actual version by version release notes section.... would be nice to know what was added/fixed in each version of the apps. Some are doing it in the notes section but it would be nice if it was standardized.

I hated that Microsoft didn't do this in Windows Phone.

There's so much I want standarized but the more MS makes manditory, the more developers will feel restricted even if it's the best thing for the user.

Jzero

You getting surface or a win8 tablet? I know only a few of my friends are getting them so it would be nice to add a few myself who are planning on getting the tablet and playing some of those games.

Of course, i don't even have an Xbox lol.

Gaspode_T

I wish you could press space bar in Jetpack Joyride, as far as I can tell you can only click the mouse button...not that big of a deal, it is made for touch anyway...

Pretty much exactly the same as other versions, no new vehicles or upgrades as far as I can tell...

Hydro Thunder Hurricane is also out, $9.99

I am loving 4 Elements II probably more than anything else, but I heard it is tough to play without touch

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
international ads

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/...al.aspx?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

also
And if you are in New York on October 25 thru the 27th don’t miss Times Square where Windows 8 will be featured on over 39 digital boards in the largest takeover of Times Square to date—the biggest Start Screen ever! And we will be hosting a hands-on experience on the ground in Times Square and at our Microsoft Stores in the North America for consumers to touch and try the new Windows —and maybe even see yourself up on the boards in Times Square. We hope to see you!

Windu

http://www.neowin.net/news/allison-brown-will-show-you-the-power-windows-8-at-retail-outlets
When you go to a Microsoft Store or another retail store such as Best Buy and you see a PC running Windows 8, you might see that the PC has already been used by a person named "Allison Brown". If you go hands on with the Windows 8 demo, you will see things such as Allison's picture album, along with emails and even other personal contacts.

No, the PC has not been used by someone else before you got to it. The Wall Street Journal reports that "Allison Brown" is actually a fictional creation of Microsoft, designed to show that Windows 8 is more "personal" that previous versions of the Windows OS. Microsoft is also creating other female personas for selling Windows 8 hardware in other countries. For example, people in Germany can demo a Windows 8 device and see "Franziska Fiegler's" photos, emails and contacts.

It's all a part of Microsoft's desire to better control the launch of Windows 8 in retail stores. The article says that both Microsoft and chip maker Intel have trained hundreds of retail store employees on how to show off Windows 8 to customers. Best Buy says it has already spent a total of 50,000 hours in training employees on Windows 8 and will have what it calls an "experience" table at the front of each Best Buy store showing off Windows 8 products.

Of course, Microsoft is stepping up its own retail push with the Windows 8 launch, as it will open 34 temporary stores on Friday to sell Windows 8 and its Surface tablet.

SeanR1221

Odd request, but anyone who grabbed Jetpack Joyride, does it have all the latest content? All the gadgets, outfits (like the basketball one) and jetpacks (like the rocket?). I just want to see if my favorite iOS game is up to date here.

Jzero

Odd request, but anyone who grabbed Jetpack Joyride, does it have all the latest content? All the gadgets, outfits (like the basketball one) and jetpacks (like the rocket?). I just want to see if my favorite iOS game is up to date here.
Nope i don't see any basketball outfit or rocket jetpack.

senahorse

Can I upgrade from Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 8 Pro 64bit? As I don't have XP installed it will be a fresh installation. With Vista and 7 the 64bit version was the same license but XP had separate licenses for 32 and 64. There are a lot of people asking the same question on the Win8 blog without an answer.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
no. going from 32 bit to 64 bit requires a clean install.

He said he was going to do a clean install. He was asking if the license was upgradable from 32bit XP to 64bit Win8.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Anandtech is dropping their Windows RT review some time tonight.

Here's a quick blurb about RT from Vivek's VivoTab review:

Wonder what anand thinks. He's sort of a PC nerd turned Apple fan. I wish he did more techy reviews, because he's great at them.

Wonder what anand thinks. He's sort of a PC nerd turned Apple fan. I wish he did more techy reviews, because he's great at them.

You think Anand would feel the same way Tom does? I bet Extreme and Maximum's mom's hated them for giving them such horrible first name and I think that hate may affect review scores :( Ars, he's usually an okay guy.

Ok, so I just found out the "apps" don't get updated through windows update.

You have to go into the store and click updates in the top right to start the downloads.

Sometimes it is still hard to remember that with Windows 8 you have to forget how you've done things for so long.

strata8

You have to go into the store and click updates in the top right to start the downloads.

Sometimes it is still hard to remember that with Windows 8 you have to forget how you've done things for so long.

When did programs ever update via Windows Update?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

3rd party programs never got updated with Windows Update though. Even though some of the apps are made by Microsoft they're not really a part of the OS.

You think Anand would feel the same way Tom does? I bet Extreme and Maximum's mom's hated them for giving them such horrible first name and I think that hate may affect review scores :( Ars, he's usually an okay guy.

AnandTech is an online computer hardware magazine. It was founded in 1997 by then 15-year-old Anand Lal Shimpi,[1] who is the current editor-in-chief and CEO.

Nice try to be funny, though.

Yeah, I read that...but:

None of these options match up to Windows 8 Pro (Full Version) I listed. It says it was originally $199.99 (which isn't listed in the OP), but is down to $69.99 (which matches the Win 8 Pro Pack, but that's an upgrade). Is this the same as the Windows 8 Pro System Builder, just a lot cheaper?

I think Office Depot make a mistake listing it as full version. However, that said, I am sure if you get it and it's wrong you probably can probably argue with them to give you the full version.
If you noticed the sku# is the same as the Upgrade version listed elsewhere 3UR-00001. Leave it to Microsoft to confuse not just the buyer but retailers with so many SKU>

When did programs ever update via Windows Update?

Over the years lots of 'Microsoft' desktop applications or services built in to the OS have been updated through Windows update. Service Packs and all kinds of jazz for things like Visual Studio, SQL Server, Defender, etc.

So, I guess when I saw the post for the updated Microsoft apps, due to years of conditioning I expected Windows update to pick it up.

Kirby102

So this thread gave me the motivation to install Windows 8 on my main machine (thanks), but now it's frustrating me because I'm trying to connect to the Internet with my wireless USB adapter, but it's not working :(

My wired LAN adapter on my MB has died, so that's why I'm using a stupid USB adapter. It's a Netgear WNA3100 USB wireless-N adapter and I tried downloading the drivers, but it doesn't seem to work! It worked on Win7, but apparently Netgear hasn't released any Win8 drivers until it's public...

Can anyone assist me? <3

Windu

So this thread gave me the motivation to install Windows 8 on my main machine (thanks), but now it's frustrating me because I'm trying to connect to the Internet with my wireless USB adapter, but it's not working :(

My wired LAN adapter on my MB has died, so that's why I'm using a stupid USB adapter. It's a Netgear WNA3100 USB wireless-N adapter and I tried downloading the drivers, but it doesn't seem to work! It worked on Win7, but apparently Netgear hasn't released any Win8 drivers until it's public...

Can anyone assist me? <3
use windows 7 drivers. also, windows update.

Jzero

Can anyone assist me? <3
Did you install the drivers in compatibility mode?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Disappointed to see the software is up to snuff, but I'm mostly interested in the pro so hopefully software is good on that.

Kirby102

use windows 7 drivers. also, windows update.
I actually need to install the network drivers before doing windows update.

Did you install the drivers in compatibility mode?
I have tried doing so, it installs, but when I try to run the program, it runs for half a second then it closes again. So I can't do anything. Even installing the drivers available (v2.0.0 or something rather), I tried connecting to my network, but it keeps saying there's something wrong with the settings/key.

Jzero

I actually need to install the network drivers before doing windows update.

I have tried doing so, it installs, but when I try to run the program, it runs for half a second then it closes again. So I can't do anything. Even installing the drivers available (v2.0.0 or something rather), I tried connecting to my network, but it keeps saying there's something wrong with the settings/key.

Did you have the adapter plugged in while installing windows 8?

Top Bottom