• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Kirby102

Can you go to Device Manager and manually update driver from there?

I have attempted to try and manually update drivers, but the USB doesn't have drivers itself, and it's making it hard since I can't use Windows Update to get the drivers to get to the internet... haha sigh ):

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
the surface review is funny, you read the review and it sounds pretty bad yet they go and give it a 7.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3540550/microsoft-surface-review

Did you only read the negative parts? I mean I know you want to reinforce your opinion that the OS is an abomination but what about this quote?

The actual interface — the tiled environment — is a joy to use. It's really, really cool. I found myself legitimately delighted by some of its functionality, particularly its multitasking and side-by-side apps concept.

Also:

All these gestures may sound complex, but in ten minutes it feels completely natural. They're good ideas, and they feel fresh, useful, and intuitive. Windows RT certainly isn't as basic or immediately understandable as iOS, but it is extremely clever and charming in its own right. I truly enjoyed using it.

His review is at the lower end of the scale compared to some of the other reviews but it's pretty fair. I've only read one outright negative review and a few very positive ones. Most of the negatives stem from the lack of apps but that's understandable at this very moment and is something that will improve over time.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
verge review sounds like the reviewer himself has fallen largely in the 'I really want a pro' camp.

score is dragged down quite badly by camera, speakers and eco system.

first one I give no shits about
speakers is a shame

eco system can improve.

I think it's a bit unfair to bag it for being 'not as good as a laptop'. I think if you compare it straight up with an ipad, apart from the appstore for a first generation device MS came out swinging. If the app store can get up to speed, apple should be sweating this bad.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Yea i want a metro Facebook messenger app.

What's wrong with the built in chat?

Same goes for Facebook and Twitter really, I could definitely use a dedicated Twitter app for searches and things but the People hub is good enough for a start.

strata8

Same goes for Facebook and Twitter really, I could definitely use a dedicated Twitter app for searches and things but the People hub is good enough for a start.

Third party Facebook chat apps generally aren't that fantastic. I've had it disconnect randomly a couple of times.

Troll

Banned

I'm a Twitter and FB power user. I would very much like dedicated apps on that front.

glaurung

GAF, help me. I just recently noticed on the Amazon product page that you can use the cheap-ish upgrade version to upgrade from the Preview Version?

How the hell does that work? I recently assembled a new PC and I did not opt to get any OS with the purchase. I've been running a trial version of 7 and now I am confused.

maeh2k

GAF, help me. I just recently noticed on the Amazon product page that you can use the cheap-ish upgrade version to upgrade from the Preview Version?

How the hell does that work? I recently assembled a new PC and I did not opt to get any OS with the purchase. I've been running a trial version of 7 and now I am confused.

You still need an underlying license for XP, Vista, or 7. In your case you'll need an OEM version.

Ydahs

Has everyone disabled the stock Windows Defender and installed their own Antivirus software?

MSE had a small memory footprint on Win7, but Defender seems to use a ton of Disk every now and then. That and search index have spikes regularly which sometimes cause irritating slowdowns.

strata8

Has everyone disabled the stock Windows Defender and installed their own Antivirus software?

MSE had a small memory footprint on Win7, but Defender seems to use a ton of Disk every now and then. That and search index have spikes regularly which sometimes cause irritating slowdowns.

Can't say I've noticed any of that, so no. Were you the one having trouble with performance before?

derExperte

Defender in W8 basically is MSE + the W7 Defender afaik, so there shouldn't be a difference but I never liked the performance of MSE. Running the free version of avast! (new one with fixes for W8 was just released) now with no speed problems and will try Kaspersky later as I still have a license but that usually needs some tweaking to bring it up to maximum speed.

scotcheggz

I'm pretty sure this is a silly question, but can I download the enterprise 90 day trial from the OP and dual boot with my current Win7 by just making a partition and installing it onto that? Nothing freaky going on right? I would like to have a little click about before I upgrade, all-in I'm pretty happy with 7, but hopefully this is awesome enough to make me upgrade.

Ydahs

Can't say I've noticed any of that, so no. Were you the one having trouble with performance before?

It seems to only happen within the first half hour of boot. I did have performance issues, but you might be thinking of somebody else.

I initially had driver issues which caused Windows Foundation Service to slowdown the laptop every few minutes. Disabled that and everything was smooth sailing until Saturday, until my laptop constantly froze.

I found out that this occurred when I was only charging my laptop, as it ran fine with no battery (AC cord only) or only running on battery. Decided to disable every single startup service and it's now running fine. Figured it was another driver issue since hardware issues would normally be more consistent.

Zeppu

Anyone know how the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Edition will work? I like to format every once in a while. Will I have to reinstall W7 and then upgrade to W8 every time to do so?

MCD

Anyone know how the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Edition will work? I like to format every once in a while. Will I have to reinstall W7 and then upgrade to W8 every time to do so?

You are in luck! because Windows 8 features a "reset to factory settings" right out of the box!

Zeppu

You are in luck! because Windows 8 features a "reset to factory settings" right out of the box!

Hmm, I hadn't even thought of that actually. Good point. I still do hardware changes a bit at a time (I intend to upgrade to an SSD next year) so I'd still like to have more info if anyone's got it.

...Even though I changed mobo+ram+cpu and windows 8 started just fine actually.

DagsJT

Hmm, I hadn't even thought of that actually. Good point. I still do hardware changes a bit at a time (I intend to upgrade to an SSD next year) so I'd still like to have more info if anyone's got it.

I think we just download the Windows 8 upgrade ISO, use out Windows 7 (or upgraded) key and it installs from fresh.

I think.

Gaspode_T

NeoGAF looks glorious on a W8 tablet with IE because it doesn't go into mobile mode, and then you can switch it to be vertical and see pretty much the entire page of threads without scrolling.

How does this reset to factory work for upgrades? Like ok, my laptop has Windows 7 with one of those hidden partitions where I reset/install/reinstall etc if I so please. So how will this be handled with Windows 8 if say I want to reformat my laptop at some point. Do I format via the manufacturer's tool then upgrade to 8?

Gaspode_T

How does this reset to factory work for upgrades? Like ok, my laptop has Windows 7 with one of those hidden partitions where I reset/install/reinstall etc if I so please. So how will this be handled with Windows 8 if say I want to reformat my laptop at some point. Do I format via the manufacturer's tool then upgrade to 8?

Maybe look at the recimage part of the article I linked to - that way it will even maintain the things it brings from the W7 upgrade... but it is always going to be a little tiny bit cleaner to do a clean install of an OS (there are just so many complications with files and OS settings it is hard to make a promise that it is the same) The "normal" way of doing the refresh happens from the OEM image.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The quality of apps really isn't there yet. I just grabbed a bunch of stuff at random from the Top Free section of each category, and essentially every app I tried had material deficiencies; no search support (or poor search context), inadequate sharing support, ugly implementations of Metro (particularly weird fonts, weird dropdown widgets, weird or inconsistent button UI), inadequate Live tile support, poor functionality, incredibly ugly in-app advertising, inadequate implementation of side-pinned mode, inconsistent UI, poor grammar/text. Thankfully most didn't have all of these problems at once.

I've also noticed a pretty ridiculous amount of what's gotta be trademark infringement. I'm all about third-party clients, but there are applications basically passing themselves off as official. For example, search Craigslist.

I submitted a lot of 1 and 2 star reviews (as well as a handful of 3 and 4 star reviews). I normally review stuff in the Android Market or iOS Market 3-5 stars.

I mean, the default app stack is fairly good and I have Start8 installed so I can spend most of my time in the blissfully not shitty desktop mode, but still. I know the response would be "Yeah, but it hasn't even launched yet! Just you wait!" but it's kind of like... I already have Windows 7. I already have OSX. I already have iOS. Something launching in 2012 needs to go the extra mile to work well day one, not play catch-up. And while it would be correct to note that Desktop is just as good as ever, the public face of Windows 8 applications is the Windows Store.

I mean, the default app stack is fairly good and I have Start8 installed so I can spend most of my time in the blissfully not shitty desktop mode, but still. I know the response would be "Yeah, but it hasn't even launched yet! Just you wait!" but it's kind of like... I already have Windows 7. I already have OSX. I already have iOS. Something launching in 2012 needs to go the extra mile to work well day one, not play catch-up. And while it would be correct to note that Desktop is just as good as ever, the public face of Windows 8 applications is the Windows Store.

What are your impressions of Start8? I've used it for half a day. At its core, I found it completely compotent at replacing Metro. The search even looked for applications, files and settings in one shot (innovation!), just like it used to. However when dealing with Metro apps and search, I found that it was a broken experience and ultimately reverted back to minimally using Metro.

Also, I completely agree with your assessment of the app selection. It's pretty bad at the moment.

Is there any reason to believe I won't be able to use my trackpad for gestures with Win8?

I'm using a 2012 new Acer with Synaptics trackpad drivers

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What are your impressions of Start8? I've used it for half a day. At its core, I found it completely compotent at replacing Metro. The search even looked for applications, files and settings in one shot (innovation!), just like it used to. However when dealing with Metro apps and search, I found that it was a broken experience and ultimately reverted back to minimally using Metro.

So far so good. It looks great, I love the options, and I'm even warming up to their default semi-transparent Metro-ish W7 replacement theme, although I still miss Aero Glass. I haven't decided if I'll buy it at the end of the trial period, since my inclination is that someone will do a freeware version that's just as good.

Bugs:
I've had a weird thing where after login (I'm using the W8 Login Screen), I get a flicker of the background colour for the Metro window before Start8 kicks me to the Desktop.

When I changed my user picture, it very briefly showed a broken thumbnail before loading in my new user picture.

Questions:
Running Start8. Enter Metro App. Press Alt+F4 to exit Metro App -> End up in Metro/Windows Menu instead of Start8. Not really sure why.

There's one other thing I'd like Start8 to do. In Windows 7, to the right of your taskbar's clock, there's a little button. When you click it, it auto-minimizes everything you're running (IE it's the "Show Desktop" button). In Windows 8, the space still does the same thing, but there's no visual indication. It's not embossed, and you don't get the little focus shadow when you mouseover it. I'd like a program that can fix this. I'm sure whenever someone comes out with something to fully restore Aero Glass, it'll do this.

The apps will only get better over time. I doubt iOS had that many good apps at the beginning.

Well, duh, but again there is a product going on sale on October 26th, and that product is behind where its competitors are on October 26th. It might catch up, it might improve while its competitors continue to improve, or it might not improve at all. WP7, for example, still has quite poor app support. I personally suspect it will improve simply because of userbase inertia, but I don't view it as a good launch for the Windows Store, a feature that would have been divisive even if they nailed the launch.

JaggedSac

How should they fix this? Stricter application certification? MS shouldn't have given the SDK out to the public before release? MS shouldn't have opened the marketplace up to public submissions before release?

Cheech

I love the speed of it, and I run it on all my computers, but I am simultaneously warning all non-tech people I know to stay with Windows 7. Part of it is a selfish need to not get constant phone calls asking me how to do simple tasks, but I honestly think the UI is such a hot mess, it's going to get seriously retooled next year. So, in a desire to not truck people through the re-learning process yet again, I'm telling them not to bother.

In fact, my personal nightmare tech support case, i.e. my mother, just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 on it last week. That particular purchase brought a lot of relief. I am even considering stealing her $15 upgrade so she doesn't get any ideas.

TheExodu5

Banned
Can the tablet/metro stuff be turned off so I can ignore it permanently? Or will I be forced to go through it every now and again to access certain features?

atomsk

Party Pooper
put in an order at newegg for 70 bucks, going to do a full wipe and start from scratch.

not looking forward to the entire process of making sure I have all the important shit I need before I do that, but thems the breaks

Top Bottom