• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

joshschw

Yeah. I added Devices & Printers to my Start Screen, and because of that it also just shows up in the default "Apps" search

netBuff

Yeah. I added Devices & Printers to my Start Screen, and because of that it also just shows up in the default "Apps" search

Seems like the way to do it.

In many ways, Windows 8 really seems like a "work in progress". Hopefully, by the time 8.1 is out we'll have an OS that's a bit more usable.

Is there a fast way to get to devices and printers?

Not trying to pick a fight, just wondering if there is a more efficient way other than searching or going through the control panel.

YTbgowY.jpg

if you have control panel pinned to your taskbar you can click it and drag up to reveal this menu. If devices and printers is one of your recently used options you click the little pin next to it so its always in that context menu.

So like two clicks. I'd say that's pretty damn efficient.

Hard to pinpoint, but display scaling could lead to some apps looking blurrier than others: Right-click the desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Make text and other items larger or smaller

Chrome also uses different font rendering than IE does (although the latter looks much blurrier than the former, so it's probably not that).

Disagree on that, I started using IE 10 instead of Chrome because I think the text looks much better in IE.

cbox

if you have control panel pinned to your taskbar you can click it and drag up to reveal this menu. If devices and printers is one of your recently used options you click the little pin next to it so its always in that context menu.

So like two clicks. I'd say that's pretty damn efficient.

Mine doesn't do this in w8. Is yours RT?

tmdorsey

Here are the screenshots

Chrome
Chrome_zps6c44dbc8.png

IE
IE_zpsbdd4012e.png

Looks like Chrome is the only example I have at the moment. The difference though is really jarring between how IE10 looks and the way Chrome looks on Win 8.

Doesn't translate well in the screenshots, but the entire chrome application is noticeably blurrier.

It works the same in both.

Open Control Panel. Right click it's icon in the taskbar.

It doesn't even need to be open. Left click, don't stop clicking, and motion up with your mouse.

Convenientbox, that was a picture of it in RT, but it definitely works in windows 8 also. I also use that same context menu at home when I'm writing documents. Do the same thing with word to show all your recent docs or start a new one. Do it with outlook to set a new calendar date or write a new email. File explorer to show your most used folders or internet explorer to open a new tab in private mode or regular. The wonders of the drag up context menu!

aaaaa0

Doesn't translate well in the screenshots, but the entire chrome application is noticeably blurrier.

Check your DPI settings.

Start Screen -> type "resolution" -> click "Settings" -> then click "Make text and other items larger or smaller".

Under "Change the size of all items" is "100% (default)" picked?

tmdorsey

Check your DPI settings.

Start Screen -> type "resolution" -> click "Settings" -> then click "Make text and other items larger or smaller".

Under "Change the size of all items" is "100% (default)" picked?

On my machine the Larger - 150% is the default and selected

MCD

I don't have Chrome installed but can you check if you have an option to disable hardware rendering?

I remember this issue way back with Firefox but it got sorted, at least on my end.

I also saw some reporting this issue with Intel GPUs.

tmdorsey

I don't have Chrome installed but can you check if you have an option to disable hardware rendering?

I remember this issue way back with Firefox but it got sorted, at least on my end.

I also saw some reporting this issue with Intel GPUs.

No option to disable hardware rendering in Chrome.

aaaaa0

On my machine the Larger - 150% is the default and selected

The problem is that Chrome is not telling Windows that it knows how to draw itself at 150%, so the OS is scaling up its window for it. This is what is causing the blurriness.

This is something Google needs to update in Chrome. This is the same problem people who have Retina MacBooks had with Chrome until Google updated it.

You have two options:

1. Set the system back to 100%, log out and back in, and everything should return to normal. However this means the entire desktop will be drawn smaller. If you're ok with this, then just leave it at 100%.

2. You can also tell Windows not to scale up just Chrome.

Go to Start Screen -> type "Chrome" -> right click on the Chrome icon -> "Open File Location" -> Right click "Google Chrome" -> "Properties" -> "Compatibility" -> "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

Now everything else will render at 150%, and just Google Chrome will render at 100%.

tmdorsey

The problem is that Chrome is not telling Windows that it knows how to draw itself at 150%, so the OS is scaling up its window for it. This is what is causing the blurriness.

This is something Google needs to update in Chrome. This is the same problem people who have Retina MacBooks had with Chrome until Google updated it.

You have two options:

1. Set the system back to 100%, log out and back in, and everything should return to normal. However this means the entire desktop will be drawn smaller. If you're ok with this, then just leave it at 100%.

2. You can also tell Windows not to scale up just Chrome.

Go to Start Screen -> type "Chrome" -> right click on the Chrome icon -> "Open File Location" -> Right click "Google Chrome" -> "Properties" -> "Compatibility" -> "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

Now everything else will render at 150%, and just Google Chrome will render at 100%.

I choose option #2 and it worked. The blurriness is gone, but yeah Chrome is drawn smaller than all the other apps which is something I guess I can live with until Google updates it.

surly

Banned
Does anyone know what can make Devices & Printers slow to open in Windows 8?

When I click on it, I get a blank screen with a green progress bar at the top and it takes about 10 seconds before Devices & Printers fully opens.

I don't have a ton of devices: -

I Googled it and quite a few people were affected by this in Windows 7. Setting the "Bluetooth Support Service" to automatic fixed it for many people, but that doesn't do anything for me in Windows 8. I've found a handful of posts about this issue in Windows 8, but no solution.

netBuff

I choose option #2 and it worked. The blurriness is gone, but yeah Chrome is drawn smaller than all the other apps which is something I guess I can live with until Google updates it.

You could also try setting display scaling to 125%, Chrome shouldn't look fuzzy at that scaling level.

You could also try setting display scaling to 125%, Chrome shouldn't look fuzzy at that scaling level.

Had this exact same problem with Chrome, resulting me going from 150% to 125%.

Windows DPI scaling is still a joke in the year 2013. Hopefully "retina" screens will force a change soon.

cbox

It doesn't even need to be open. Left click, don't stop clicking, and motion up with your mouse.

Convenientbox, that was a picture of it in RT, but it definitely works in windows 8 also. I also use that same context menu at home when I'm writing documents. Do the same thing with word to show all your recent docs or start a new one. Do it with outlook to set a new calendar date or write a new email. File explorer to show your most used folders or internet explorer to open a new tab in private mode or regular. The wonders of the drag up context menu!

hmm, I tried but all I get is this.

o7hgl7t.jpg

My other context menus work great.

SPDIF

hmm, I tried but all I get is this.

o7hgl7t.jpg

My other context menus work great.

Have you recently opened Devices and Printers? Or any other option under Control Panel? It will only show options if you've recently opened something.

Try opening Devices and Printers, close it, then try the Control Panel thing again.

aaaaa0

Had this exact same problem with Chrome, resulting me going from 150% to 125%.

Windows DPI scaling is still a joke in the year 2013. Hopefully "retina" screens will force a change soon.

Don't blame Windows, blame the developers that don't care to update their apps, like Google. Windows has had high DPI support in the OS for more than a decade.

OSX has the same issues (Chrome itself was one of those "didn't bother to update for Retina" apps until last year.)

BTW, Metro is designed from the ground up to deal with high DPI.

When handling several folders at once, explorer.exe tends to crash and restart, closing all open folders. This only happens from time to time. Anyone experience this or know of a fix? It's very frustrating.

SPDIF

When handling several folders at once, explorer.exe tends to crash and restart, closing all open folders. This only happens from time to time. Anyone experience this or know of a fix? It's very frustrating.

It could be anything really. explorer.exe might be slightly corrupted. Try following these steps to repair the file.

I know it's talking about Windows 7, but the instructions remain the same.

Just been reading a few posts from the last few pages of the thread. I had to go back to Windows 7 on my desktop because of some software issues. I'm still using 8 on my laptop though.

Anyway, I'm sort of baffled at the posts where people claim it's slower or more difficult to find something on Windows 8.

Using devices and printers as an example that somebody brought up. It's pretty straight forward. Win key, type the first few characters, arrow down to settings, enter.

It takes literally a few seconds and you can find anything like this. The only difference being that if it's not an application, you'll have to arrow down to either settings or files, which again, is the difference of seconds. Faster than Win+X and having to mouse over or key up to search too.

Addnan

How do I enable Aero? I was using Windows 7 earlier and realised how much better the taskbar and the bar at the top of windows look. I tried using a third party program, but it doesn't look as good.

MCD

Will Windows 8.1 allow users to boot to desktop?

Ever since the consumer preview of Windows 8 was available, some users of the operating system have complained that there's no way to boot to the desktop instead of the Start screen. If recently discovered information is accurate, however, that may be changing in Windows 8.1.

An examination of the twinui.dll file in Windows 8.1 (build 9364) by Microsoft Portal discovered a line of code that indicates users may be able to immediately launch into the desktop when starting Microsoft's upcoming operating system. The ability isn't yet available in leaked copies of Windows 8.1, though the code implies it's something Microsoft is at least considering.

The ability to boot directly into the desktop has been one of the most requested features for Windows 8, with some users even using workarounds to obtain the ability. So far, however, Microsoft has made no statement that it's working on such a feature. Last month, a research firm said a boot-to-desktop feature and start menu are the two options users have requested the most for Windows 8.

Jzero

I don't think anyone expected something else.

I did, i wanted them to be released sooner.

By the way, do any of you know if i can format my hard drive that has 32 bit Windows 8 and install the 64 bit version with the same key that i already used? I know the key works for both 32/64 bit versions but not sure if it still works once the key is already used.

I did, i wanted them to be released sooner.

By the way, do any of you know if i can format my hard drive that has 32 bit Windows 8 and install the 64 bit version with the same key that i already used? I know the key works for both 32/64 bit versions but not sure if it still works once the key is already used.

It was always an annual update schedule, as far as I know.

And yes, you can.

Top Bottom