• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

stktt

Banned
StartMenu7-1.png

I found a leaked mockup of the new start menu.

venne

Returning the Dell Latitude 10 I ordered.

I have no real complaints about the device. In fact, I like it a lot and it's my favorite tablet I've used to date. The form factor is good. It is well built. Very responsive. Love the stylus. Great battery life. Windows 8 comes alive on a device like this.

However, I see Bay Trail and Haswell on the horizon and can't justify keeping it. Performance of the Latitude 10 is good for a tablet, but I am not a fan of qualified statements and tablet performance is mediocre these days.

Still waiting for that 'good enough' tablet. Hurry up Intel.

Deal time:

Aspire%20S7.PNG

Now with that preamble out of the way we can tell you that the Microsoft Store is offering the S7, in all three versions, for $300+ off of the normal price. There’s the 11.6” one with an i5 for $899 (reg. $1,199), the 13.3” option with an i5 and 128GB storage for $999 (reg. $1299) and the big Kahuna with an i7 and 256GB storage for $1,299 (reg. $1649).

Look, I’m not here to tell you how to spend your money, but if you’re looking for what I think is a fairly kickass Ultrabook, well the S7 is it (and I have the Lenovo Yoga too). If you order from the Microsoft Store, remember, the laptop comes with “pure” Windows 8 on it with no crapware. You also get a Bluetooth mouse, leather cover and Ethernet/HDMI adapters in the box.

Alchemy

Just got Windows 8 installed on my Mackbook Air, install was pretty painless. Getting it set up and updated, it really isn't that confusing to me at all. I am bouncing around between Metro and the desktop a lot, but to me Metro has really just been acting like a fullscreen start menu. The Air trackpad is pretty killer for navigation though, easing the transition.

Honestly what is the problem? Just type the name of the app you want to launch while on the start/home screen - and press enter. Done. Why even bother going deep into folders and sub folders to find your app? I did the same thing in Windows 7 as well, click start, type app name and hit enter.

People hate change. People bitch. Nothing more.

MCD

I bet the new start button will just take you to the metro side and not the old list.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/22/4251610/windows-8-1-start-button

Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have revealed to The Verge that Windows 8.1 will include the return of the Start button. We understand that the button will act as a method to simply access the Start Screen, and will not include the traditional Start Menu. The button is said to look near-identical to the existing Windows flag used in the Charm bar.

Billen

Banned
Honestly what is the problem? Just type the name of the app you want to launch while on the start/home screen - and press enter. Done. Why even bother going deep into folders and sub folders to find your app? I did the same thing in Windows 7 as well, click start, type app name and hit enter.

People hate change. People bitch. Nothing more.

Some people prefer clicking instead of typing. So, let people use their machines however they want. There has always been lots of ways to accomplish thins in Windows.

And oh, you bitch about people bitching. So meta. :D

Returning the Dell Latitude 10 I ordered.

I have no real complaints about the device. In fact, I like it a lot and it's my favorite tablet I've used to date. The form factor is good. It is well built. Very responsive. Love the stylus. Great battery life. Windows 8 comes alive on a device like this.

However, I see Bay Trail and Haswell on the horizon and can't justify keeping it. Performance of the Latitude 10 is good for a tablet, but I am not a fan of qualified statements and tablet performance is mediocre these days.

Still waiting for that 'good enough' tablet. Hurry up Intel.

So would you recommend the Lat 10 if/when it gets a revision? I've been eyeballing it a bit recently, along with the ASUS Taichi and Surface Pro.

My big concern is the RAM and processor. I guess I'm still not entirely sure what I'd use the thing for, which doesn't help. Definitely productivity, light gaming (FTL, old Blizzard '90s stuff), stuff like that.

Pooya

they just need to add a search bar to task bar, something like the addressbar but one that you can search with like start menu. would be better than any start menu

Jobiensis

So instead of clicking the bottom-left hand corner to access the start screen, we click on the bottom-left hand corner to access the start screen.

If it makes people happy then why not.

The hot spots can be a pain in the ass in RDP sessions, VMs and with multiple monitors.

they just need to add a search bar to task bar, something like the addressbar but one that you can search with like start menu. would be better than any start menu

Something like this would be very nice.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So instead of clicking the bottom-left hand corner to access the start screen, we click on the bottom-left hand corner to access the start screen.

It won't because that's not what people wanted. This is just them blowing smoke.

The fact that all it does is going to the Metro screen is pretty funny though I'll give them that.

I'm sure Windows 9 will fix it. It's probably best to just wait it out now if you're on Windows 7.

venne

So would you recommend the Lat 10 if/when it gets a revision? I've been eyeballing it a bit recently, along with the ASUS Taichi and Surface Pro.

My big concern is the RAM and processor. I guess I'm still not entirely sure what I'd use the thing for, which doesn't help. Definitely productivity, light gaming (FTL, old Blizzard '90s stuff), stuff like that.

Yeah, if you're looking for a complimentary device.

I don't think I could use an atom for everything, but supposedly Bay Trail will have double the performance of the unit I played with. Perhaps that could change things.

I look forward to finding out.

Mr_Zombie

A button is still better than invisible hot corner that desktop users are not used to. I wonder how many people (tech-savvy or not), after finally accessing the desktop, wondered "hey, so how do I open that screen with program icons again?".

Alx

A button is still better than invisible hot corner that desktop users are not used to. I wonder how many people (tech-savvy or not), after finally accessing the desktop, wondered "hey, so how do I open that screen with program icons again?".

"how about trying that strange key with a Windows logo on it, that has been there since 1995 and used to display the program icons ?"

zou

Just got the Thinkpad Tablet 2 and that thing shits all over Surface RT. Surprisingly a lot snappier and just faster in general. Great build quality, screen resolution and batter life so far. After using all these gimped tablets (ipad, android and surface), it was nice to actually have a real computer in such a small form factor. Accessing the bios was quick and easy and I didn't actually expect touch to work, so that was a nice surprise. External monitor/kb can be connected either via docking station or usb/hdmi ports.

I didn't expect too much from tablets running atoms, but even the old atom models handily outperform anything available from ARM. If we get <500 W8 atom tablets, I'm fairly certain MS is gonna take the whole tablet market. After today, I really don't see why anyone would go for a gimped toy.

Edit: MS should definitely go for Bay Trail with the next Surface "RT" version and dump ARM. No point in supporting a gimped platform.

Izick

Does anybody here have an Acer S7?

It looks absolutely amazing, but I'm not sure if I even want a touch screen. It's not that I don't think touch is a viable choice, i'ts just not for me. Yes, I know that's funny to hear for somebody who wants a Windows 8 powered PC, but I never had a problem with W8 when I used it as my main OS when it was in beta.

I just really like the design, and it looks really speedy/powerful from what I've seen.

dLMN8R

Does anybody here have an Acer S7?

It looks absolutely amazing, but I'm not sure if I even want a touch screen. It's not that I don't think touch is a viable choice, i'ts just not for me. Yes, I know that's funny to hear for somebody who wants a Windows 8 powered PC, but I never had a problem with W8 when I used it as my main OS when it was in beta.

I just really like the design, and it looks really speedy/powerful from what I've seen.
My wife has the 13.3" version.

It's an incredibly sleek and light device with one of the best laptop screens I've seen, but it also has a horrible keyboard. It only has four rows of keys, so the number row doubles as the function row and volume/brightness controls are alternates on the arrow keys. It also has very little travel and just isn't pleasant at all to type on.

As for laptops with touch screens in general, you'll find yourself using it a whole lot more than you expected. It's a nice augment to the trackpad and keyboard, extremely useful in many situations.

Izick

My wife has the 13.3" version.

It's an incredibly sleek and light device with one of the best laptop screens I've seen, but it also has a horrible keyboard. It only has four rows of keys, so the number row doubles as the function row and volume/brightness controls are alternates on the arrow keys. It also has very little travel and just isn't pleasant at all to type on.

As for laptops with touch screens in general, you'll find yourself using it a whole lot more than you expected. It's a nice augment to the trackpad and keyboard, extremely useful in many situations.

Hmm, I'm looking for a new laptop once I have some more money. I had a Macbook Air for a little bit, it was defective, and I really enjoyed using it. But at the time, and thinking back on it now, I kind of realized I didn't care for the OS or actual, physical hardware at all. The OS was just too...I don't know, a lot of it made no sense to me. It just didn't feel right. As for the hardware, the edge of the Air would always dig into my wrists; just uncomfortable as fuck.

What I realized is that I like something of that size and speed, but I didn't care for the OS or hardware. So I'm looking for something in that ballpark. Are there better choices than the Acer S7?

Top Bottom