• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Jobiensis

Microsoft should stop comparing Windows 8/RT to the iPad. It all falls apart, once you pull the app card.

I agree it does somewhat fall apart with the apps, but I disagree that they shouldn't be doing comparisons. These ads are far superior to the annoying dancing ads.

Talon

I agree it does somewhat fall apart with the apps, but I disagree that they shouldn't be doing comparisons. These ads are far superior to the annoying dancing ads.
Any thing they'd throw on TV would be more relevant than the dancing ads. Only Microsoft would dedicate the initial product campaign to an accessory.

So it happened yesterday.

Using my parents' Windows 7 machine, I kept trying to get to the Start Screen and doing things that you can't do in Windows 7. Being on Windows 7 was completely interrupting my workflows.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So it happened yesterday.

Using my parents' Windows 7 machine, I kept trying to get to the Start Screen and doing things that you can't do in Windows 7. Being on Windows 7 was completely interrupting my workflows.
I have tried too many times to close fullscreen desktop apps by dragging my finger/mouse down from the top. Some features in metro make a lot of sense for traditional windows.

ahem, share function for desktop apps please.

I have tried too many times to close fullscreen desktop apps by dragging my finger/mouse down from the top. Some features in metro make a lot of sense for traditional windows.

ahem, share function for desktop apps please.

God this so much.

Sometimes I feel it would be worth it to use Metro IE with a KB + M just to have access to the share charm.

-------------------

Also, as there appears to be no active Office thread, anyone here on Office 365? There was just an update, but of course it doesn't tell you anything about it.

jsnepo

Anyone having problems with the People app with Facebook? Whenever I try to post something the app says I don't have permission.

So I have a weird problem. I bought a desktop PC and set up a Microsoft account and everything works fine. I then bought a laptop and elect to have my Microsoft account be the default user - however, every time I power on the laptop, it opens with the login/password screen and it won't accept my password with the local user. So I have to change it to email, enter my email address (for my Microsoft account), and then that works.

Problem is it doesn't work if I'm not connected to the internet, which I found out the hard way yesterday. Any ideas how I can remedy this? I'm assuming this all stems from the guy who sold my dad the laptop (and set it up with his name as the local user... I still can't change his username to mine in the directory).

Cheers.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Why? The widescreen ratio has some advantages in tablet format, especially the way Windows 8 is constructed.

I'd still argue that for web browsing, a 4:3 tablet screen is better than a 16:9 screen. Most of the web isn't formatted for 16:9 thus you loose tons of screen estate when using such a screen.

There was a video demonstration that highlighted this sort of thing, probably from around the iPad (4th) came out, but I can't for the life of me find it at the moment.

Wiktor

I'd still argue that for web browsing, a 4:3 tablet screen is better than a 16:9 screen. Most of the web isn't formatted for 16:9 thus you loose tons of screen estate when using such a screen.

True, but most web isn't formated for tablets anyway, 4:3 or widescreen ones, same with retina resolutions.

That said, yes..for web browsing 4:3 tablet is better, but it's worse for movie watching. Plus the 16:9 really helps for Windows8-style multitasking.

Windu

Alx

I do not like that. Should keep the charm bar searching and add the search box.

I agree ; the universal search function was a very interesting feature, that made it quite natural to use (once you know about it. I was a bit lost the first time I went to the Windows Store and didn't know how to look for a specific app. :p )

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Just.....wait for official details, guys. If you've ever trusted my opinions before, trust me on this one.

I take it we won't hear anything until Build?

SPDIF

Just.....wait for official details, guys. If you've ever trusted my opinions before, trust me on this one.

Speaking of Build, I don't suppose you know anything about the Xbox One app situation? I'm guessing (hoping) they're going to open up app development to anybody (similar to Windows 8), using the same/similar WinRT APIs.

Really I'm not sure why I'm asking you, because you probably can't really speak about it, so I guess my question boils down to; Can you at least indicate whether or not you know anything?
Pointless question I know, but I'm curious

Speaking of Build, I don't suppose you know anything about the Xbox One app situation? I'm guessing (hoping) they're going to open up app development to anybody (similar to Windows 8), using the same/similar WinRT APIs.

Really I'm not sure why I'm asking you, because you probably can't really speak about it, so I guess my question boils down to; Can you at least indicate whether or not you know anything?
Pointless question I know, but I'm curious

There will be an app platform for the One. It's just a shame that the new Kinect for Windows is coming so late.

Is there a way to prevent HDMI audio to stop working when the monitor goes to sleep? I have my laptop connected to a av receiver via HDMI and whenever the monitor goes sleeping (and I don't have the av reciever set to show the second monitor/duplicate the monitor), so does the audio.

Is this HDMI specific, or is there a workaround. Can't remember this happened on Win7.

Anyone? :/

This is on Intel HD graphics 4000 btw.

Windu

The Start Button and Boot to Desktop in Windows 8.1 has been confirmed by both Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurott. You can also use your desktop background on the start screen as well. Also you can change the start button to default to the all apps screen. You will be able to turn off the start button as well which will be there by default.

8EWB4lq.jpg

V8wJCAO.jpg

YdraFi6.jpg

http://www.zdnet.com/heres-how-the-new-windows-blue-start-button-may-work-7000016042/

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/coming-blue-boot-desktop-start-button-and-more

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/blue-start-experience-changes

I like the new changes. I also like how MS is taking every opportunity it can get to troll Start screen haters.

"Metro apps on the desktop--finally!"

Although you dip into not being able to save users from themselves territory by allowing users to choose anything for Start screen backgrounds, the example above looks surprisingly good and you can't deny that it creates a nice UI unity between the desktop and start screen.

Update desktop icons plz!!

Letting people set wallpapers as the Start Screen background is going to spawn the worst monstrosities.
Oh it will. It comes with the territory though.

Start button looks nice and boot to desktop is good for those who want it. Of course having the start button bring up the metro menu is going to make some people angry. I don't know why people thought the button was going to bring back the old start menu.

maeh2k

Although you dip into not being able to save users from themselves territory by allowing users to choose anything for Start screen backgrounds, the example above looks surprisingly good and you can't deny that it creates a nice UI unity between the desktop and start screen.

I was hoping it would work in the other direction, so that you could get the Metro backgrounds on the desktop.

This way it's too easy to fuck up the start screen. The start button is a really dumb idea, too. I would have just stayed the course and waited for people to learn how the invisible one works. It's not that hard. Everyone I explained Win 8 to (e.g. my parents) accepted the corner pretty quickly.
Now it's just inconsistent, because one corner gets a button, but all the others don't, so people may not learn the corner stuff as fast. And in Metro apps there is no button. So people have to learn the corner action or the windows key anyway? Great...

Edit: allegedly everyone wants to be on the desktop all the time, anyway. Hence, being trapped in there shouldn't be that much of an issue. Now people just get trapped in Metro apps ^^

Update desktop icons plz!!

So many girls' computer backgrounds... A blurry compressed cell phone pic of her and her boyfriend centered four inches tall in the middle of the screen surrounded by black.

Razorskin

----- ------
Upgraded to Windows 8, liking it so far, getting used to it much faster than expected. Though having to install skype on my desktop after its already installed as an app seemed a little weird.

Vyer

I wonder if there are search options I'm missing somehow or if it is actually varied depending on the hardware. I don't find searching on my Twist to be efficient at all compared to 7. On 7 I type something in the bar and I get several 'top hits' already sectioned out without touching anything else and without leaving my work on the desktop.

On 8, I can shortcut to search (which of course takes me to a completely separate screen) and I can type my search term but I then have to navigate through Files-Settings-Apps categories and hit Enter before it does anything.

I've seen people say they find 8 searching to be much better so I wonder if I'm missing something here.

SPDIF

I wonder if there are search options I'm missing somehow or if it is actually varied depending on the hardware. I don't find searching on my Twist to be efficient at all compared to 7. On 7 I type something in the bar and I get several 'top hits' already sectioned out without touching anything else and without leaving my work on the desktop.

On 8, I can shortcut to search (which of course takes me to a completely separate screen) and I can type my search term but I then have to navigate through Files-Settings-Apps categories and hit Enter before it does anything.

I've seen people say they find 8 searching to be much better so I wonder if I'm missing something here.

No that's just how it works in 8, some prefer it that way, others don't. There are shortcut keys you can use to search a specific category, such as:

Windows key+F - Search only files.

Windows key+Q - Search only apps.

Windows key+W - Search only settings.

Although Windows 8.1 will make search just like Windows 7 again.

Pooya

Windows finally comes with an Alarm clock! yay...

The updates are more like fixes than updates, still pretty good. Don't think start button complainers will be satisfied though. I still don't know why they didn't replace the desktop with the start screen instead of putting it in place of start menu. Having normal windows appear over start screen fixes all problems, and for tablet touch use there could be always on top option for start screen. People see their desktops far more than the start menu, I think this approach could have served the company goals better too.

They better fix the window color options here btw.

Windu

IE tabs can be snapped aide by side. /cheer. A lot of these changes are natural evolutions of the OS and probably have been planned from the start, excited to see it all come together.

IE tabs can be snapped aide by side. /cheer. A lot of these changes are natural evolutions of the OS and probably have been planned from the start, excited to see it all come together.

Blue is to Windows what Mango was to Windows Phone.

I can't wait for Build.

Windu

weather app with the large tile looks really nice.

Start_2D00_with_2D00_wallpaper_2D00_High_2D00_res_5F00_313398B8.png

Also those excel etc.. tiles look different than just the standard desktop tiles.

edit: looks like desktop applications can use better tiles "Desktop apps will also use colorful tiles by default, and developers will have the option to create richer versions."
Blue is to Windows what Mango was to Windows Phone.

I can't wait for Build.
I like that both wp8 and w8 are coming closer together with their UIs.

edit2: this is cool
Website owners will be able to create their own Live Tiles with IE11 that can be pinned to the Start Screen with access to an RSS stream.

Top Bottom