• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
If anything the charms bar is too easy to show up. I want it gone, except with hotkeys. No I'm not trying to use the charms bar, I'm trying to access a windows exit button or scroll bar. No I don't want the fucking charms bar, I'm trying to hit show desktop and I wasn't precise.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
haven't seen this before. Good feature though. (atom tablet btw).
Yo3M7oe.png

Omg the store is so shitty. If I search for angry birds it won't show any results. I can find the app page (and install) angry birds star wars just fine via Google. What is wrong with you, Microsoft store guys?

Windu

Omg the store is so shitty. If I search for angry birds it won't show any results. I can find the app page (and install) angry birds star wars just fine via Google. What is wrong with you, Microsoft store guys?
Works fine for me.

People are idiots, gotta hold their hands to show them.

Searching "Angry Birds" works fine for me.

Maybe a location issue, I'm from Europe. I get some Intel-something-catalogue apps and two slingshot apps as a result. So annoying. I don't even bother searching the store with its integrated search anymore, since its useless anyway. I have a huge tolerance for little annoyances but the search is so incredibly borked, it really is frustrating

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The entire region thing about the store is so shitty. I can never find apps I want to use either, and I have a hard time believing devs on the W8 store are the only ones that seem to be uber restrictive of where their app should be, but it's not the same on say, iOS.

I think language settings have a lot to do with it, though. Do they sort English (US) and English (UK) and English (Canada) different or something? I bet it's some stupidity like that.

linkboy

Question regarding desktops on different accounts.

My wife and I both have an administrator account and when I delete the desktop icons off of my desktop, it deletes them from hers as well and places them in recycle bin.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening, it's kinda annoying.

Nero3000

Question regarding desktops on different accounts.

My wife and I both have an administrator account and when I delete the desktop icons off of my desktop, it deletes them from hers as well and places them in recycle bin.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening, it's kinda annoying.

Not have admin accounts? Usually an admin account acts as a template for the rest.

I would create a third account for admin purposes and limit your existing accounts to standard ones.

It will increase your security at the same time.

MCD

Numbers are silly with hardware. I just read the pros and cons plus actual users feedback on Amazon and the like.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The Guest or Administrator accounts don't work.

For guest I get this message: The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in.

For Administrator: I can log in, but almost nothing works. Programs are slow to start, and then an error about the profile not being found appears.

What's going on.

I've searched for solutions but none seem to work. :|

teh_pwn

I can now remote into my work PC. A good old power cycle (yank power cord, reconnect) fixed it like a charm.

Top priority bug for 8.1 please :)

Chaplain

New Windows 8 user. Is there anything I should know about W8? I have been using it for a few days now and haven't experienced anything that makes me say that W8 is better than W7.

cbox

New Windows 8 user. Is there anything I should know about W8? I have been using it for a few days now and haven't experienced anything that makes me say that W8 is better than W7.

It's snappier, boots quicker and there are a few background changes like the task manager, etc. I'm sure some other posters will fill in the gaps soon enough.

Chaplain

It's snappier, boots quicker and there are a few background changes like the task manager, etc. I'm sure some other posters will fill in the gaps soon enough.

TY. I did notice that the booting is quicker. So, my mistake on saying I didn't notice any changes. To me it just seems like I am using a desktop version of my phone instead of a new OS experience.

Windu

the desktop had a few changes in 8, but it is similar to 7. The big changes are of course with the new Start Screen etc..

cbox

TY. I did notice that the booting is quicker. So, my mistake on saying I didn't notice any changes. To me it just seems like I am using a desktop version of my phone instead of a new OS experience.

That's metro yeah. Consider it a full screen start menu. I uninstalled most of the bundled apps like photos, videos, gaming, etc so that I can stay on the desktop 100% of the time.

Chaplain

the desktop had a few changes in 8, but it is similar to 7. The big changes are of course with the new Start Screen etc..

Ty for responding. The new Start Screen just seems like the App section on my Android phone. Not bad per say, but I find myself going to desktop mode once the computer starts because the Start Screen features (like all of the Apps) seem kind of pointless for me at this point.

Another question. Is the App store missing a search function?

kharma45

Ty for responding. The new Start Screen just seems like the App section on my Android phone. Not bad per say, but I find myself going to desktop mode once the computer starts because the Start Screen features (like all of the Apps) seem kind of pointless for me at this point.

Use the hot corners on the right to access it. Bit unintuitive on the desktop.

Windu

start typing on the start screen then select store. Or open up the charms and select search. (move mouse lower right corner then up). Select search. If you do it within an app it will search that by default. There are also keyboard shortcuts as well.

oh and you can also just start typing from the store home screen too.

kharma45

start typing on the start screen then select store. Or open up the charms and select search. (move mouse lower right corner then up). Select search. If you do it within an app it will search that by default. There are also keyboard shortcuts as well.

Ah I didn't realise you could just type from there too, sweet.

dLMN8R

No real surprise is it? It's basically service pack 1?

There's never been a Windows service pack with any actual user-facing features. Just security fixes. Windows XP SP2 came the closest, but its new features were entirely for security.

clav

There's never been a Windows service pack with any actual user-facing features. Just security fixes. Windows XP SP2 came the closest, but its new features were entirely for security.

Ya it's called Windows 7.

You know it's really Vista SP3.

teh_pwn

Ya it's called Windows 7.

You know it's really Vista SP3.

Zing. But in a good way. Vista+Snap+libraries+favorites+speed=great. Still some nutty people at work using XP though, I don't get it.

But dLMN8R, if you could sneak in a changes to explorer save as/open dialogs to by default show your favorites, that would be awesome. Basically I hack the registry somewhere to expose this. Way better than duplicating favorites on a desktop or some other location to really long file paths that are frequently used in things like software development. Like project paths, pre-release software installer locations, and perforce root locations for software components. I'm curious if you all internally have an internal suite of hacks to Windows to make it easier to use as developers.

Nice. Can't wait to have a Windows OS again for a few months. Linux is soooo slow, and I'm too cheap to buy Windows 8 when I know I'm going to get a Windows 8 laptop later on this year.

You install 8.1 from the windows store. You're not using it without a copy of windows 8. Sorry.

Chaplain

Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom