• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

maeh2k

Millions of apps are available for Windows.
Facebook.com works fine.
Using facebook on IE metro is smoother (and has more features) than any mobile app on any platform i used, imo. It just misses notifications, but the people app makes up for some of that.

Of course the website works well in Windows and even on tablets IE10 is a great browser (full-screen, pinnable tile), but when both iOS and Android get native apps, I'd like Windows to get one, too.

A native app could have some advantages. The share charm would be useful for facebook. Now with graph search the search charm could be pretty cool. Better live tile, notifications...

Edit:
@MobileTechWorld: Big updates to the #Xbox Music and Video apps for #Windows 8 today http://t.co/nxWUtdjt4U

big sounds promising. Hasn't been that long since the last update either, so it's good that they are trying to do relatively frequent updates.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Of course the website works well in Windows and even on tablets IE10 is a great browser (full-screen, pinnable tile), but when both iOS and Android get native apps, I'd like Windows to get one, too.

A native app could have some advantages. The share charm would be useful for facebook. Now with graph search the search charm could be pretty cool. Better live tile, notifications...
you can share to the people app to share with facebook/twitter.

Tamanon

Banned
After getting my first laptop with 8 natively installed, I'm really happy with the ability to run ISOs without burning them or getting separate software, especially since I don't have a CD drive on the new model. It's made downloading a lot of stuff off Dreamspark easy as pie.

Is it just me or does it seem incredibly dumb the mouse cursor doesn't fade away when not in use while using the metro video viewer .....

Unless I am being dumb and I have missed a setting ?

zedge

Is there a known issue with multitouch gestures with laptop touch pads? Been driving me nuts how it so random whether it works or not. Googling around seems to indicate its common.

Is there a way to prevent HDMI audio to stop working when the monitor goes to sleep? I have my laptop connected to a av receiver via HDMI and whenever the monitor goes sleeping (and I don't have the av reciever set to show the second monitor/duplicate the monitor), so does the audio.

Is this HDMI specific, or is there a workaround. Can't remember this happened on Win7.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a known issue with multitouch gestures with laptop touch pads? Been driving me nuts how it so random whether it works or not. Googling around seems to indicate its common.

I can't find the drivers I need for my laptop. I need Alps drivers.

also zedge, did you say earlier that you got Nokia Music on Windows 8? I can't find it in the store, just the phone version.

zedge

I can't find the drivers I need for my laptop. I need Alps drivers.

also zedge, did you say earlier that you got Nokia Music on Windows 8? I can't find it in the store, just the phone version.

I downloaded the synaptics drivers, seems to be a bit better. Picked up a new laptop recently so getting the hang of it. I just searched for Nokia music on my laptop and you are right, its not there. I did install it on my desktop back when I mentioned it. Maybe it was pulled? Strange.

okay so. I know I changed my default browser to Chrome...

...but is there a reason why I can no longer find IE? When I search for it, no results are found? It is still in program files --> internet explorer, but why can't I search for it anymore?

SPDIF

okay so. I know I changed my default browser to Chrome...

...but is there a reason why I can no longer find IE? When I search for it, no results are found? It is still in program files --> internet explorer, but why can't I search for it anymore?

It's an intentional behaviour due to the way Windows 8 handles desktop browsers that participate in the "Metro style experience".

Here's a long explanation on the whole thing, along with a possible workaround (although I've not tried it)

zedge

Didn't work. For whatever reason it is not up in Canada I guess.

Weird that its gone. Here is a couple of screens.

NM.jpg

NM2.jpg

Mr_Zombie

Quick question, how do you move Win8 license from one computer to another? My laptop died and I'm planning to get a new computer; obviously I would want to use my W8 license from my old computer on the one. Do I just install the system entering the same activation code, or do I have to (somehow) deactivate the previous installation?

Jzero

Quick question, how do you move Win8 license from one computer to another? My laptop died and I'm planning to get a new computer; obviously I would want to use my W8 license from my old computer on the one. Do I just install the system entering the same activation code, or do I have to (somehow) deactivate the previous installation?

I think you can just enter the same activation code as long as you don't use the old computer.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Microsoft should stop comparing Windows 8/RT to the iPad. It all falls apart, once you pull the app card.

So don't put out commercials showing the ways in which your product is superior? These are exactly the types of commercials MS needs to be doing. You don't ignore the biggest competitor, people need to be exactly shown the reasons they should choose a Windows tablet over an iPad.

Top Bottom