• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Search federation didn't take off because there's little incentive for developers to build support for it. People who want to drive traffic to their own sites don't want an OS leeching content from it without context or ad revenue. It's also not a super user-friendly thing to use, with few scenarios in which it really makes a whole ton of sense.

One of those things where engineers developed a cool feature that doesn't have much real-world use, just because it's technically cool under the covers. Searching in Blue makes a whole lot more sense, and for regular people too.

Searching in Blue makes sense, if you don't use the desktop.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
No, it's everything. It's a clean install with data migration.

That's the only reason I don't want to install the preview, I have so much stuff installed, I don't want to go through it again. Hmmm, maybe I'll just make an image of my current OS drive so I can go back to it before the actual release.

I'll definitely install it on my tablet though.

dLMN8R

Remember that the preview itself is still just a beta product and has issues of its own. So ignore the fact that you'll have to reinstall everything if you go from the preview to the final - if it's your main machine that has all that stuff installed on it, it's probably not ideal to upgrade it to the preview unless you have a full image backup.

On a Surface or similar tablet it's a different story. Especially for the Surface, since app roaming will make it trivial to go from the preview to the final.

Can I finally drag and drop text from an app to a desktop application? It's just the usual difference between efficiency of windowed applications vs fullscreen apps. I assume it's much easier to copy text, pictures, quotes or results in general off a windowed application (such as a regular browser) than to do that from the Windows 8.1 search.

That said, Bing on the web is going to be pretty cool.

DagsJT

Downloaded the update tool from preview.windows.com and I get a message saying the update is not applicable to your computer :/

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Windows 8.1 Preview isn't currently supported on some tablets and PCs

Windows 8.1 Preview isn't currently supported on some tablets and PCs with newer 32-bit Atom processors, including:

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2

ASUS VivoTab TF810C

Samsung ATIV Smart PC

HP ElitePad 900

HP ENVY x2

Fujitsu ARROWS Tab

If you have one of these tablets or PCs, please revisit this site periodically, as we expect most of them to be supported during the preview.
booooooooo

dLMN8R

Cool thing in Windows 8.1: You can add folders on removable media like USB keys and SD cards to libraries. The system will automatically index them, and those indexes will seamlessly appear/disappear when you add/remove the media.

So this means that the Music/Video/etc. apps can easily show all your content on that removable media.

Windu

Cool thing in Windows 8.1: You can add folders on removable media like USB keys and SD cards to libraries. The system will automatically index them, and those indexes will seamlessly appear/disappear when you add/remove the media.

So this means that the Music/Video/etc. apps can easily show all your content on that removable media.
yay. figured that was the case when the info about Xbox music and SD cards leaked.

Anyone have the preview running yet? I've been thinking of running it on my main machine (re-installing isn't that big of a deal for me in the fall), but I just want to make sure that it's stable and all that jazz before I pull the trigger.

Also curious to hear impressions from people with RT devices. My mother has a Surface and I think I might install it for her assuming things seem all good, especially considering that re-install on an RT device will be a snap.

Windu

Anyone have the preview running yet? I've been thinking of running it on my main machine (re-installing isn't that big of a deal for me in the fall), but I just want to make sure that it's stable and all that jazz before I pull the trigger.

Also curious to here impressions from people with RT devices. My mother has a Surface and I think I might install it for her assuming things seem all good, especially considering that re-install on an RT device will be a snap.
started downloading only a short time ago. will give impressions when done. Also the consumer preview was pretty stable, so I expect this to be similar.

dLMN8R

You think hours or days?

Incidentally, it doesn't work on my Surface RT. Surely that shouldn't be affected by driver issues?!

No idea.

You can still go ahead and install the preview since it's a normal x86 device, but you might just have some unexpected driver issues.

Also curious to hear impressions from people with RT devices. My mother has a Surface and I think I might install it for her assuming things seem all good, especially considering that re-install on an RT device will be a snap.

Just finished installing and restarting a few times on my surface, it says now that it's setting up a few more things, but it's going very quickly.

This is the error I get:

This app wasn't installed error code 0x802002e

I left it there and after a while it started redownloading by itself.

Just finished installing, will test a little before posting more impressions, but I can already say that the new keyboard is awesome!

Windu

p21VB9y.png
damn i guess the problem isn't solved yet. guess i'll wait.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I left it there and after a while it started redownloading by itself.

Just finished installing, will test a little before posting more impressions, but I can already say that the new keyboard is awesome!

So it just restarted on its own at the "This app wasn't installed" part for you?

DagsJT

Mary Branscombe ‏@marypcbuk 2m
Official Microsoft advice on updating UK @surface to Windows 8.1; don't do it yet, language fix in July

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Ok, got it installed. First thing I notice is that audio services won't run, it's saying I have no audio devices. I have at least 3.

Top Bottom