• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

iavi

Yeah, it's very convenient. I had a fingerprint reader on my work Thinkpads for years and after a while I decided that I couldn't live without one at home anymore either.

One word of caution, if you're going with a Upek (Authentec) reader, there's a pretty big vulnerability with their suite where your Windows password is stored unencrypted in the registry, so definitely avoid using their software.

The good news is that in 8.1 fingerprint readers are supported natively, so there's no need to use any 3rd party software and drivers at all.

You've convinced me that this is the next thing I'm getting for my desktop. Seems like it'd speed things up a tad

hadareud

The Translator
You've convinced me that this is the next thing I'm getting for my desktop. Seems like it'd speed things up a tad

Excellent :)

It's really good, especially if you also use the fill forms feature on LastPass. I've my credit card info stored there too, so I have set it up to ask for the master-password again when filling forms and it's a lot nicer to fill in forms with the swipe of the finger rather than having to enter a 28 letter password.

jagowar

more of Xbox Music in Windows 8.1 https://t.co/xZoucf9e1K

and Search in Windows 8.1 https://t.co/lgQngOAdCQ

I will be very interested to see how music works on a surface RT. Xbox music has gotten better but its still horribly slow and unresponsive. The new app looks like it is very simplified so hopefully it means it will perform better.

Also will be curious to see if they talk about the web/ios/android apps.... they really should release everything at once.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I don't feel like making it but here is a logo if anyone does:

8JPszGq.png

I am also too lazy to make it transparent.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

-Seeing the Store in motion really shows that it's a pretty massive improvement.
-Music looks nice, but still doesn't appear to take you to some sort of a 'Now Playing' automatically when you start playing something and search still takes you to the ugly gray screen instead coming up right in the new screen. I assume the last one is just due to a pre-release build, hopefully the first complaint will be changed as well.

While it's cool that Microsoft is finally improving on search, it's a real bummer, that their Search Federation platform on the desktop never went anywhere. Probably because no one knew about it, which is a typical problem for Microsoft.

Search Federation is a feature in Windows 7 that allows you to hook external services into your desktop search. It was pretty cool, when done right. I wish Microsoft had expanded a bit more on it with Windows 8.

E: Long Zheng's Flickr search still works: http://www.istartedsomething.com/flickrsearch/

While it's cool that Microsoft is finally improving on search, it's a real bummer, that their Search Federation platform on the desktop never went anywhere. Probably because no one knew about it, which is a typical problem for Microsoft.

Search Federation is a feature in Windows 7 that allows you to hook external services into your desktop search. It was pretty cool, when done right. I wish Microsoft had expanded a bit more on it with Windows 8.

E: Long Zheng's Flickr search still works: http://www.istartedsomething.com/flickrsearch/

I never heard of that W7 feature, but it does sounds great.

I never heard of that W7 feature, but it does sounds great.

It is pretty cool in theory. It should be noted that it's mainly an enterprise feature, but since it's based on Open Search and RSS, the possibilities were really great. Here's how Zheng described it.

K4ffnU1.jpg

"If you want to know what makes searching within the shell cool, it means you’re interacting directly with the file. It’s a little clunky in the M3 Build 6801, but even still you can double click a picture to open it in larger view or set it as your background.

Now imagine the possibilities. Searching the files on your remote Windows Home Server, searching your documents on Google Docs, finding music on Pandora, finding videos on YouTube, finding PDFs from your library. Basically anywhere with a repository of files.
"

PSFkTRD.jpg

Mr_Zombie

Why haven't I heard about it before? Why do I learn about this few years after Win7 release from a guy on a gaming forum and not from Microsoft's marketing team? This really sound like a cool feature.

Yeah, I mean, WTF?

How come Ms never talked about or pushed this? Seems like an amazing feature and it would be awesome if there was enough support.

dLMN8R

Search federation didn't take off because there's little incentive for developers to build support for it. People who want to drive traffic to their own sites don't want an OS leeching content from it without context or ad revenue. It's also not a super user-friendly thing to use, with few scenarios in which it really makes a whole ton of sense.

One of those things where engineers developed a cool feature that doesn't have much real-world use, just because it's technically cool under the covers. Searching in Blue makes a whole lot more sense, and for regular people too.

Top Bottom