• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yeah, nothing I can do to get the audio working. The services just won't start :(

I'm getting many errors with SkyDrive. The first time I tried I was able to open a mkv video that was in my SkyDrive to stream as it plays in mobile.hd, but only worked for a few seconds, and SkyDrive crashed afterwards.

Now it won't stream at all and if I try to open with a desktop player it gives me an error saying the video could not be copied.

Edit: also, from the preview articles, i should be able to snap two different tabs on ie11, but I couldn't do that yet...

stktt

Banned
I assume that the photo app will get a live tile again soon? It's odd that both Skydrive and Photos lost their live tile.

I'm getting many errors with SkyDrive. The first time I tried I was able to open a mkv video that was in my SkyDrive to stream as it plays in mobile.hd, but only worked for a few seconds, and SkyDrive crashed afterwards.

Now it won't stream at all and if I try to open with a desktop player it gives me an error saying the video could not be copied.

Edit: also, from the preview articles, i should be able to snap two different tabs on ie11, but I couldn't do that yet...

Works for me on my RT.

I assume that the photo app will get a live tile again soon? It's odd that both Skydrive and Photos lost their live tile.

Works for me on my RT.

It's working now if I try to play from the skydrive app, from the desktop I still get errors (but worked once before).

Ms needs to remove the 2gb file size from skydrive now *.*

Edit, now it's working everywhere! Weird , but I'm not complaining :)

dLMN8R

SkyDrive and Photos went through some major re-architecting to enable a much broader feature set, so that's why you'll see some features currently missing as they get re-enabled in the future.

Note: I'm not sure if integration with Facebook/etc. will be coming back to the Photos app. That particular feature may have been removed for other reasons.

Don't know why everyone here is rushing out to try out beta software when you can virtualize it.

Geeks will be geeks I guess...

I'm loving it so far, even with the issues its visible how it's an improvement from W8 vanilla... If anything goes terrible wrong I can also always restore :p

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well, couldn't get my audio working so I had to revert back to Win8. Some nice improvements from what I saw though.

Installing now on a Surface RT. Make sure to set aside around 2 hours or so. I'll post some impressions on the improvements and how the RT's hardware handles them.

dLMN8R

Installing now on a Surface RT. Make sure to set aside around 2 hours or so. I'll post some impressions on the improvements and how the RT's hardware handles them.

After using it on an RT for a while, I've found things to be generally quite faster. Especially IE. Animations are smoother, pages seem to load faster, etc.

Multi-window stuff works nicely too. I expected that to bog down RT but it doesn't at all.

Speaking of IE, it really needs an option to show the mobile version of the website when docked...

Anything less than that 2/3rds view and it gets way too small XD

Edit:
Tiles now pick the background color for desktop apps the same way the taskbar picks the color for active applications, by picking the major color of the icon.
Ow, that's cool!

stktt

Banned
Bing actually works as advertised. It's fast, looks great, and does a good job of surfacing content.

General performance has definitely improved on my Surface.

Installation is done.

Good shit so far, Messaging app is gone, which is not surprising considering the last couple times that grouped Calender, Mail, People, and Messaging app was updated, Messaging didn't get touched.

Installation is done.

Good shit so far, Messaging app is gone, which is not surprising considering the last couple times that grouped Calender, Mail, People, and Messaging app was updated, Messaging didn't get touched.

Ow shit, I didn't even noticed it was gone XD

That's why I'm not receiving facebook chat notifications, lol.

Edit: Now that the skydrive app finished downloading the stubs crashes have stopped, cpu and hdd usage went to zero and streaming videos are working flawlessly!

It's weird that it only streams through metro apps, with a try to open the video in a desktop player it first downloads the file... Hopefully Ms will have apis for desktop apps to benefit from streaming too.

Ow shit, I didn't even noticed it was gone XD

That's why I'm not receiving facebook chat notifications, lol.

Edit: Now that the skydrive app finished downloading the stubs crashes have stopped, cpu and hdd usage went to zero and streaming videos are working flawlessly!

It's weird that it only streams through metro apps, with a try to open the video in a desktop player it first downloads the file... Hopefully Ms will have apis for desktop apps to benefit from streaming too.

Yeah my computer was grinding hard at first, and I realized that SkyDrive was using the disk up almost completely. Once it was done doing its thing, smooth sailing.

Working really nicely so far. LOVE the new Xbox Music app, although it'll take some getting used to, I can tell it's instantly better. I can't figure out how to have to IE tabs side by side. I did find something nice, though: Settings charm on Start screen > Tiles > Show more tiles

This makes RT have 4 rows, rather than 3, without the need for the hack that makes the keyboard small. Still exploring, but the performance seems much better.

EDIT: figured out the IE thing. tap and hold a tab and tap open in new window.

dLMN8R

Working really nicely so far. LOVE the new Xbox Music app, although it'll take some getting used to, I can tell it's instantly better. I can't figure out how to have to IE tabs side by side. I did find something nice, though: Settings charm on Start screen > Tiles > Show more tiles

This makes RT have 4 rows, rather than 3, without the need for the hack that makes the keyboard small. Still exploring, but the performance seems much better.

To use multiple windows with modern IE, just right-click/tap-and-hold a link or an auto-complete entries and use "open in new window"

Bullza2o

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask such question, but since I did it to upgrade to 8.1 today I'll put it here.

Basically I tried to make a recovery partition, as recommended by Microsoft before upgrading. I tried to make the partition in my 1.5TB external HDD, on a 32GB empty partition. Now everything got deleted, and the recovery partition is what's left. ALL of my backups are gone... :(

I thought having separate partitions protects each other if one of them gets affected.

I tried to look for solutions, and right now I'm running TestDisk hoping to recover all my data. Can anyone give help/advice? Thanks in advance.

Whoa, snap two apps next to each other and then click another one from the task switcher. It will pop down and do this little effect where it wobbles to each side a bit and clicking on one of the sides snaps it to that side. Pretty intuitive.

StudioTan

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask such question, but since I did it to upgrade to 8.1 today I'll put it here.

Basically I tried to make a recovery partition, as recommended by Microsoft before upgrading. I tried to make the partition in my 1.5TB external HDD, on a 32GB empty partition. Now everything got deleted, and the recovery partition is what's left. ALL of my backups are gone... :(

I thought having separate partitions protects each other if one of them gets affected.

I tried to look for solutions, and right now I'm running TestDisk hoping to recover all my data. Can anyone give help/advice? Thanks in advance.

Well if you didn't write anything else to the drive there is good chance you can get your data back. You'll need some recovery software to do it. I haven't looked at any recently but I had good success with a program called Stellar Phoenix in the past.

That's terrible. So I'm supposed to keep the facebook website always open or download the facebook app even if there is one (probably crappy) on my Surface RT?

An official FB app is coming, not that that fixes the immediate issue.

Edit was a bit late, next page.

Razdek

Banned
That's terrible. So I'm supposed to keep the facebook website always open or download the facebook app even if there is one (probably crappy) on my Surface RT?

RT will always be a second class citizen in the Windows ecosystem. The developers were probably like who cares about them since there's not many of your kind around.

Totakeke

RT will always be a second class citizen in the Windows ecosystem. The developers were probably like who cares about them since there's not many of your kind around.

Yeah yeah, Razdek, we all know what you think.

Microsoft employees have Surface RTs too, so what's the deal?

Top Bottom