• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I use the force close gesture quite a bit on windows 8. Some apps are not that great, also i run it on a low powered machine.

popeutlal

Previously in the Photos app you could access your photos from Facebook, Flickr and the HD...now the photo app only has access to your local files.

Why?

derExperte

There is a new gesture to force-close the apps if you do want to for some reason. Drag the app to the bottom of the screen and hold it there for a couple of seconds. You'll see the tile flip around.

Aha, today I learned.... and if you drag it back up after it flipped the app restarts immediately.

Good to know but I hope obscure stuff like this will be explained in the new Help & Tipps app.

Btw someone also needs to fine-tune the algorhythm that detemines the backround color of the Start Screen tiles for desktop apps, for example the lower half of the Origin logo now merges with the orange of the tile, same happens with Powerpoint.

derExperte

Anyone else get the sound lowering when they plug a USB device in? It even lowered when I connected a Kindle.

Check this setting:

capturehjl3l.jpg

so, how does the window color setting looks like now? can you change text color, etc?

Looks like nothing changed there. edit: What you now can choose (again) is the text size for certain elements like title bars or menus.

joshschw

Correct. In Windows 8 there was already very little reason to need to close apps. But the gesture was added to accomplish those two things I listed, since they're genuinely necessary things some times.

Other than that though, there's no reason to close apps. So they stay suspended in case the person ever does choose to use them again in the future - they'll resume instantly instead of taking a few seconds.

There is a new gesture to force-close the apps if you do want to for some reason. Drag the app to the bottom of the screen and hold it there for a couple of seconds. You'll see the tile flip around.

Nice to know about the new gesture. Thanks.

There is however, a third reason. Yesterday I was looking at PDF's, to see which ones I needed to delete. Dragging Reader closed didn't let me delete the file though, because it was still open. :)

dLMN8R

Nice to know about the new gesture. Thanks.

There is however, a third reason. Yesterday I was looking at PDF's, to see which ones I needed to delete. Dragging Reader closed didn't let me delete the file though, because it was still open. :)

Well that is stupid! But should be handled by Reader not locking the file once it's suspended, and elegantly handling deleted files after they're resumed. Submit feedback through the app :)

linkboy

I'm running the preview for 8.1 and it's working great except for one issue.

I can't drag any applications to my taskbar. If a program is open, I can right click and pin it, but if I try to drag it, I get the no circle (circle with a diagonal line).

Anyone else have any issues like that?

Razdek

Banned
Hate that the new metro IE only shows the frequently visited list instead of both frequently and favorites on the scrollbar and you now have too hit the favorites icon to get that list. Also when switching tabs the window don't automatically close down. Other than that it's been pretty good.

DagsJT

Seems Sky Player doesn't work on IE 11. Says I need to install Silverlight, I go to install Silverlight and it says I'm running the latest version.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have an issue with metro ie11 were I click on a link to open an new page on a new tab and it doesn't load, but if I try again it does.

Windu

the big and small tiles are a huge improvement. obvious upgrade but really nice to have. Can't wait till more apps support it. also there is a settings tile now. neat.

PC Settings -> PC & Devices --> Display --> Change the size of apps on the displays that can support it

Very late but thanks a lot.

I feel stupid, in 8.1's xbox music app where is the now playing section? Also, they really need to fix the steam compatibility issue. It would be my only music program if they did.

This has been said quite a few times dLMN8R, but why has Facebook/Flikr integration been removed from the Photos app?

Is this something that will be reverted back in the full release or are there some other (legal) reason for this?

dLMN8R

I don't know exactly, but I heard the app had to be rebuilt using some different tech to enable photo editing and other future features they want to enable in RTM and beyond. As for 3rd-party app integration, I don't know if that'll come back. With an official Facebook app coming (and Facebook regularly breaking things on the back-end that cause third-party apps to stop working) I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

I remember that there was a website for the store that was much better to browse for apps and had sections for new apps etc. Anyone know which one I could mean?

I don't know exactly, but I heard the app had to be rebuilt using some different tech to enable photo editing and other future features they want to enable in RTM and beyond. As for 3rd-party app integration, I don't know if that'll come back. With an official Facebook app coming (and Facebook regularly breaking things on the back-end that cause third-party apps to stop working) I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.
Hmm, this is so odd since the Photos app on Windows Phone 7/8 do the exact same thing. They always pull up the Facebook albums associated with your account. I wonder why that process is different on the desktop.

Windu

got the update working on my ThinkPad tablet. The new touch actions are going to take some getting used to,

RdN

Guys, what's the best native app to use Facebook Chat? I'd like to use it snapped.

I've tried IM+ but it keeps duplicating my messages, kind of annoying.

Windu

Guys, what's the best native app to use Facebook Chat? I'd like to use it snapped.

I've tried IM+ but it keeps duplicating my messages, kind of annoying.
In 8, the messenging app by Microsoft. It is gone in 8.1 though in favor of skype which i think has the same functionality.

RdN

In 8, the messenging app by Microsoft. It is gone in 8.1 though in favor of skype which i think has the same functionality.

I'm on 8.1.

The thing is, Skype and the original messaging app from MS used to just disconnect, go offline when idle. That's what made me jump off.

Did they fix this on newer versions?

Soooo....

Are we in a situation where the Web player for Xbox Music is better than the app?

Well for some reason I don't have an Explore or Radio function in the web app. I understand it should be there, so I'm guessing it's because I'm in Canada or something like that. Wouldn't even put it past them. If it isn't supposed to be there, then my apologies. My jimmies are indeed rustled today. (Not to mention it doesn't show local content, only matched, with no way to store your own music for streaming, like Google Music. SkyDrive should add this feature.)

PG2G

Well for some reason I don't have an Explore or Radio function in the web app. I understand it should be there, so I'm guessing it's because I'm in Canada or something like that. Wouldn't even put it past them. If it isn't supposed to be there, then my apologies. My jimmies are indeed rustled today.

I don't see it there either and im in the US. I don't see it in the screenshots on The Verge, so maybe it isnt implemented yet

I don't see it there either and im in the US. I don't see it in the screenshots on The Verge, so maybe it isnt implemented yet

Ah, ok. I'm jumping the gun. My bad. I do say the layout is pretty nice, and much better than what was before on the Surface RT (the web app even performs better in 8.1, due to IE11 most likely), and now more familiar to the Zune software layout, which is good. I wish the artist tiles were live and showing the album covers, though. Zune HD had that! I dig the simplified now playing section, the bio, artist view, etc should be a button in the app just like the web version. Good stuff.

jagowar

Ah, ok. I'm jumping the gun. My bad. I do say the layout is pretty nice, and much better than what was before on the Surface RT (the web app even performs better in 8.1, due to IE11 most likely), and now more familiar to the Zune software layout, which is good. I wish the artist tiles were live and showing the album covers, though. Zune HD had that! I dig the simplified now playing section, the bio, artist view, etc should be a button in the app just like the web version. Good stuff.

I like the layout as well.... hopefully the radio section is added pretty soon.

One other thing that is annoying to me is lack of a shuffle button and when I add tracks to a playlist it does not check if that track is already in that playlist. Since there are not smart playlists you have to manually manage them now and we need the ability to know if tracks are already in a playlist. Also noticing this because evidently a few of my tracks are unavailable so I am having to go in and re-add a different version of the song.

Top Bottom