• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Jzero

Does anyone have a long lag when using the volume buttons on your keyboard ? Ugh one of the most annoying bugs ever.

smerfy

Banned
tried updating on my surface RT.

Got this error code: 0x8007000d

so no dice...is there a fix in place for this? any reason that might be causing the issue?

smerfy

Banned
Same with mine. Don't care anymore.

welp got it working. now just doing the big install and waiting.

hopefully won't be too much longer.

instead of "opening" the file, I saved it and then opened it from its folder. worked from there.

fingers crossed.

dLMN8R

tried updating on my surface RT.

Got this error code: 0x8007000d

so no dice...is there a fix in place for this? any reason that might be causing the issue?

I don't know what causes that error, but I do know that a bunch of people have hit it internally so you're not alone. Should be fixed for the final version, whatever it is.

smerfy

Banned
I don't know what causes that error, but I do know that a bunch of people have hit it internally so you're not alone. Should be fixed for the final version, whatever it is.

I worked around it.

Running 8.1 now.

Maybe spread the word that instead of just running the file, save it and open it through the folder...tried 3 times one way...did it that way and it worked.

Also, 8.1 is an awesome improvement on here.

What is replacing bing background? I love dynamic backgrounds on desktop...but I read that it's incompatible on this build.

One last thing, Skype really needs an update to take advantage of the new ways to split the screen.

Tattooth

Does anyone remember an app a Gaffer made that allowed the Xbox 360 controller to control the Metro interface? I have been looking for it for a few days and have come up with nothing.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/presskits/windows/imageGallery.aspx

People App

Windows81PeopleappW_Web.png

Windows81PeopleProf_Web.png

Windows81Peopleapp_Web.png

Calendar App

Windows81CalendarWh_Web.png

Windows81CalendarDa_Web.png

dLMN8R

I think they have to be optimized for 8.1?

Yep, some new APIs developers can use to speed things up, such as what I mentioned in this post which isn't in the preview:

You guys should watch some of the videos here if you missed them:

http://channel9.msdn.com/

If you're especially nerdy, Larry Osterman is basically one of the smartest guys in the world and talks about some really cool features he's working on.

Specifically one of the features that's not in the preview but will be in the final version - the ability for apps to pre-load content following a heuristic that tracks your most commonly used apps, so they load a lot faster and have things ready for you before you even launch them. It'll be discussed in more detail during a session tomorrow.

Man so I can have a documents library in the cloud but I can't have a music library on my NAS. Been waiting awhile to be able to use Xbox music on Win 8 with my mp3s on my network.

I love how Google is always a step ahead of the competition. Ladies and gentlemen, the new multi tasking interface for the upcoming Android YouTube app, which lets you interact with the rest of the OS, while using the app. A system-wide implementation is in the works.

Your move, Microsoft.

Good article explaining how SkyDrive works in 8.1. I have been impressed by the implementation.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ws-8-1-cloud-storage-the-way-its-meant-to-be/

Yeah, I though this would be like the bitcasa client when I first read, but even in the preview it's already better.

I still can't use pictures on skydrive to be set as desktop wallpapper, but other than that everything is almost flawless now.

(But a maximum storage quota would indeed be awesome)

I love how Google is always a step ahead of the competition. Ladies and gentlemen, the new multi tasking interface for the upcoming Android YouTube app, which lets you interact with the rest of the OS, while using the app. A system-wide implementation is in the works.

Your move, Microsoft.

Your move, Apple. Here we have both Android and Microsoft doing it, meanwhile Apple just revealed their big iOS update for the year and split-screen support/multitasking isn't a part of it. Obviously, they could release another update later this year, or maybe split screen like this doesn't fit their vision for iOS.

After a few days of testing out the 8.1 beta, I feel that it's a step in the right direction. I appreciate the changes made to accomodate desktop users, and I've configured my PC to use the boot-to-desktop-option and disable the hot corners. The Start Screen with the All Apps option is ok as a Start Menu replacement, not ideal but I can live with it. As for the new ability to freely resize snapped Metro apps, that is one feature that I genuinely like. I would still like to see a ModernMix-type ability to use Metro apps in a window, it still baffles me that Microsoft hasn't enabled such a feature since Stardock showed it's quite easy to implement.

Overall, Windows 8.1 shows promise. I still think that it's not there yet as a full-featured hybrid OS, and I still feel it's imperative that Microsoft allows competing app stores in Metro, but from the perspective of a desktop user with 8.1 Windows 8 is now usable as the main OS on a desktop PC.

hadareud

The Translator
I'm not sure that I like having the tabs in ie11 at the bottom.

Also, am I missing something or can you no longer search all apps from anywhere in 8.1? That would suck.

xptoxyz

The new smart search is default to search everywhere. So every search is a web search. So every search will show ads in my paid for OS. No thanks.

I think it will only do that when viewing the web results. From what I saw every search is a web search if you click/press into another layer after the regular search.

derExperte

I think it will only do that when viewing the web results. From what I saw every search is a web search if you click/press into another layer after the regular search.

I hope, can't imagine it will show ads in the panel on the right while typing something. That would be unacceptable. Okay, read what dLMN8R wrote.

Btw, there are a few new updates out now: http://www.neowin.net/news/first-batch-of-windows-81-preview-updates-rolling-out Search should be faster for example.

SPDIF

The new smart search is default to search everywhere. So every search is a web search. So every search will show ads in my paid for OS. No thanks.

It won't show ads in the actual OS, only if you choose to perform a web search from within the search results. I'll just quote dLMN8R from another thread:

If you're doing search in the same way as Vista/Win7/Win8, there are no ads. Just instant results along the side of the screen.

The ads appear if you're doing a full web search.

Here's an example if I simply search for "Word", there are no ads. Just a pane that shows up on the right-hand side of the screen:

LiKKEU0.png

If you scroll down past all your local content, you see auto-suggestions for web content:

QiumfBn.png

If you click on one of the web results, it loads a web search, which just like every web search on earth, might show you an ad:

derExperte

I just found that I can turn off Bing online search in settings. That is fine then. Crisis averted. Thank god.

But they have to offer the option to change the search provider or they'll get in trouble for anticompetitive behaviour again I think. If it was only search, okay, but now with ads there's no way Google & Co won't complain.

NM, don't want to be a dick. I'll just say that having ads in a web search doesn't bug me at all. If they appeared in other parts of the app, that would suck.

Windu

I really hope there will be a way to get rid of this shit. Who the fuck wants ads in their OS?
ads have been in the OS since 8. Haven't seen an ad blocker for them yet though, i'm sure someone will figure it out at some point.
But they have to offer the option to change the search provider or they'll get in trouble for anticompetitive behavior again I think. If it was only search, okay, but now with ads there's no way Google & Co won't complain.
eh not so sure anymore. When you think of the entire computing market (smartphone, tablet, laptop and desktop), Microsoft does not have a dominate share anymore so I think they could argue that in court. Smartphones are powerful enough to be a threat to traditional pcs now, just have to design an OS around mouse and keyboard for it and output the phone to a bigger monitor and plug in keyboard and mouse and there you go. This is not 1998 anymore where the computing market was mainly desktop PCs and a few laptops, all running windows.

Also, am I missing something or can you no longer search all apps from anywhere in 8.1? That would suck.

Tabs in the bottom are probably for mouse users: Less travel between the address bar and tabs.

And, you can still search for apps using the search charm. The everywhere which is the default, prioritizes apps, so the apps matches from the search always come before anything else.

Windu

They did take away the option of Searching by app though. Before if I wanted to search the twitter app from anywhere I would type in my query and filter to twitter. Now I can't do that. Took away the best feature about search in 8.

Not really a fan, either, but it's probably more muscle memory than anything. On my Surface I'm used to holding a link and opening in a new tab, which brings up the menu + open tabs. It's nitpicky, but the way I hold the tablet I can't continue scrolling because the tab list is in the way now. That's really the only reason I don't like it haha.

They did take away the option of Searching by app though. Before if I wanted to search the twitter app from anywhere I would type in my query and filter to twitter. Now I can't do that. Took away the best feature about search in 8.

Yeah I really don't care about the ads to be honest, but that feature removal sucks :(

Oh, you mean searching inside the apps from anywhere? Yeah, it sucks that this is gone, the new search everywhere at least for now doesn't cover that very well, because you have to keep scrolling to see if the app you wanted found anything.

Edit: Not to mention sometimes they won't show up at all, for instance, if I search for xbox i get results from the store, but not for twitter :(

dLMN8R

You can still do it using the drop-down over the search box:

P7pOO1T.png

And I *thought* that Windows 8 apps (vs. updated/new Windows 8.1 apps that use new functionality) automatically default to that app-specific search instead of universal search, but I could be mistaken. It'll probably be tweaked for the final version to be more consistent with Win8, at least.

PG2G

You can still do it using the drop-down over the search box:

P7pOO1T.png

And I *thought* that Windows 8 apps (vs. updated/new Windows 8.1 apps that use new functionality) automatically default to that app-specific search instead of universal search, but I could be mistaken. It'll probably be tweaked for the final version to be more consistent with Win8, at least.

It seems like you only get a choice of the active app though, no?

Windu

yeah it is only the active app, which is nice . Need to expand it to include all apps though.

hadareud

The Translator
Tabs in the bottom are probably for mouse users: Less travel between the address bar and tabs.

And, you can still search for apps using the search charm. The everywhere which is the default, prioritizes apps, so the apps matches from the search always come before anything else.

Not like before though. I used it to search lastpass, and that no longer works at all. You can't specify which app to search apart from ie.

They need to bring in app specific search back, that was one of my favourite features.

Top Bottom