• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Mr_Zombie

Bizarre, can you look at my previous post and see if your xbox games is similarly cropped?

No, it looks normal, i.e. everything fits and there's even some whitespace on the top and bottom of the screen (1080p resolution).
You were also talking about tiles being larger than they were in Win8. They should be the same size. It seems there's some problems with scaling problems in Metro apps at your end.

And while we're talking about various issues, shouldn't News app still show a photo of the main article, even when it's in large size? Because for me there's no photo at all (only pink background and news title on the bottom of the tile) and it looks weird.

Izick

Okay so now its saying windows can't be installed because the partition format isn't ntfs. If I delete that partition, will I be able to install it then? I'm fine with losing all my old data, I want a clean install.

No, it looks normal, i.e. everything fits and there's even some whitespace on the top and bottom of the screen (1080p resolution).
You were also talking about tiles being larger than they were in Win8. They should be the same size. It seems there's some problems with scaling problems in Metro apps at your end.

And while we're talking about various issues, shouldn't News app still show a photo of the main article, even when it's in large size? Because for me there's no photo at all (only pink background and news title on the bottom of the tile) and it looks weird.

Ugh, what a weird and annoying bug to have on my end.

And the issue you're having with news also applies to music. But the large News tile works and updates for me, where my the music blank as you describe.

Izick

I have drive 0 partition 1 @296.3GB 0.0 free space and it's type is system.

Then drive 0 Partition 2 @1.7Gb with 0.0 free space and it's logical.

They both say windows can't install there because they're both not ntfs.

Any ideas/help?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Any ideas/help?

Windows should give you the option to format the drive when you go to install it.

SPDIF

Any ideas/help?

You should be able to select "drive 0 partition 1" and format the partition. You should then be able to install it.

SPDIF

Colored-in and clickable for each partition
Just warns me I'll lose my data.

Well if you don't care about losing your old data just highlight the "drive 0 partition 1" again and delete it.

It should then just default to a big chunk of unallocated space where you should be able to install Windows.

Izick

Well if you don't care about losing your old data just highlight the "drive 0 partition 1" again and delete it.

It should then just default to a big chunk of unallocated space where you should be able to install Windows.
Should I just leave drive 0 partition 2 alone?

A little question for dLMN8R:

The intended behavior for skydrive on the desktop is for the online only files to seamlessly work across all desktop apps, like they do on metro apps today, or will the apps themselves need to support it?

dLMN8R

Intent is that they should "just work". Though some things are known to not work (don't remember off-hand).

If you encounter stuff that doesn't work, let me know and I can pass it along.

So anyone have tips for the cropping issue I'm encountering with Metro in 8.1? Icons are bigger than they were in 8 and certain apps like Games are entirely unusable.

ibxSLzZ47ACYUv.png

joshschw

Intent is that they should "just work". Though some things are known to not work (don't remember off-hand).

If you encounter stuff that doesn't work, let me know and I can pass it along.

I really love this new implementation, but I really wish I could see which files I had marked offline with a visual indicator.

dLMN8R

I really love this new implementation, but I really wish I could see which files I had marked offline with a visual indicator.

Me too. So do a lot of other people. Fingers crossed!

For now if you want to quickly see whether things are available offline, temporarily disconnect from the internet. Online-only files will appear faded out while files available offline remain.

Right now nothing is working at all (in the skydrive app the make available offline/online option is not even showing up), so it's hard to say exactly what should be working and isn't, but here are the issues I had since yesterday:

- If I chose a photo that's online only to be my desktop wallpaper or in the slide show they appear in the dialog, but won't actually be set as my wallpaper.

- I moved my photos library folder to the skydrive pictures, so the metro photo app would pick them up, but them the app just opens completely empty.

- I had a sln file available offline, visual studio opened the solution, but them it give errors saying that It couldn't open any of the files that belong to the solution.

- When trying to open random files associated with random apps sometimes it opens a download file dialog (but as of now, it simply isn't downloading anything), and it usually cause locks the application for a while... Sometimes (rare, but it happens) the download dialog won't show up at all, and the application will either give an error, or just crash.

-----

I would like to take the chance for some other questions too if you don't mind :p

How skydrive handles the offline files (for the ones I didn't explicitly said to make offline)? It will keep a cache for a while? Once a file is downloaded it stays forever until you make it back to online only, or until it's changed on the cloud? Will this behavior be configurable?

So anyone have tips for the cropping issue I'm encountering with Metro in 8.1? Icons are bigger than they were in 8 and certain apps like Games are entirely unusable.

Yeah, the games app looks exactly like that here.

Edit: Oh, you are asking for tips, not if other people are having this issue, sorry XD

Edit 2: You can change the scaling settings for metro, it will make the app display properly (but everything will be smaller)

dLMN8R

If you make a file available offline in skydrive, or if it's an online file that gets used, I think a version is synced offline indefinitely. Not removed after a certain amount of time.

Izick

Thanks for all the help, everybody! It seems to be working now. Wow, it's crazy going back to Windows again. It's so much faster. I like the idea of Linux, but it was just not what I wanted in the end, and it just ran really poorly on my computer.

Really love all the improvements they've made so far. Speed in Blue seems possibly even a little better compared to the Windows 8 Preview.

MooMoo

So if I install the preview, what happens when I upgrade to the final release? Do I just end up having to reinstall all my apps again or is there more to it?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So if I install the preview, what happens when I upgrade to the final release? Do I just end up having to reinstall all my apps again or is there more to it?

It'll be like Refreshing your PC. It will keep your documents and files but you'll need to reinstall all your programs and apps.

Jzero

Alright the ISO finally finished downloading, let's do this! Waiting for the RTM is going to be a bitch.

edit: fucken microsoft, i got my first error while trying to install it. "driver is missing" or something similar.

MooMoo

It'll be like Refreshing your PC. It will keep your documents and files but you'll need to reinstall all your programs and apps.
Thanks! Guess I'll go ahead and try/keep the preview since I don't have too much installed on my Surface Pro to begin with.

Just noticed something: Win+Q from inside the app now opens the search inside the app charm, useful for the apps who still haven't updated to use a search box instead of the charms for primary searching.

SkyDrive is working for you guys? Since yesterday mine is completely dead, it's not syncing anything, up or down, and I also can't open anything anywhere. There's also this odd behavior where it marked the "Make all my files available online" by itself and now have lots of pending operations that never complete...

I'm thinking about restoring to w8 and them applying the 8.1 update again to see if it solves this...

Izick

Really loving Blue so far. Super-fast, and it's just very easy to use for me, as someone who had grown accustomed to Windows 8 before.

dLMN8R

Can anyone else here confirm the problem with apps not closing in 8.1 when they should? See http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1161538-cant-close-apps-with-windows-81-preview/, happens here too.

Can confirm.

Noticed that when I had the task manager opened.

Fresh install, too. Not an upgrade install.

This is by design.

There are two reasons why people would need to close modern apps:

1) It crashed or is acting weird.
2) You want to remove it from your back-stack so it no longer shows up in switchers.

#1 is handled by forcing the app to re-launch from scratch if you swipe-down and then immediately re-launch the app. It won't resume in that case.

#2 is handled automatically.

clav

Interesting.

I thought by philosophy that memory not used is memory wasted.

If it's not going to eat CPU cycles, then it won't matter unless it starts using the page file.

So I suppose when an application requires more memory, those suspended apps will be closed automatically?

dLMN8R

Correct. In Windows 8 there was already very little reason to need to close apps. But the gesture was added to accomplish those two things I listed, since they're genuinely necessary things some times.

Other than that though, there's no reason to close apps. So they stay suspended in case the person ever does choose to use them again in the future - they'll resume instantly instead of taking a few seconds.

There is a new gesture to force-close the apps if you do want to for some reason. Drag the app to the bottom of the screen and hold it there for a couple of seconds. You'll see the tile flip around.

clav

Correct. In Windows 8 there was already very little reason to need to close apps. But the gesture was added to accomplish those two things I listed, since they're genuinely necessary things some times.

Other than that though, there's no reason to close apps. So they stay suspended in case the person ever does choose to use them again in the future - they'll resume instantly instead of taking a few seconds.

There is a new gesture to force-close the apps if you do want to for some reason. Drag the app to the bottom of the screen and hold it there for a couple of seconds. You'll see the tile flip around.

Ugh this is not going to end well with veteran users who still hold on dearly about memory usage.

I can already see posts now.

WHY IS METRO SO BLOATED AARUUUU M$

METRO SUX

days later

HAY GUYS I FOUND A REGISTRY HACK THAT FIXES IT

OMG MS WHY IS MS SO STOOPED LOL SO EZ

Top Bottom